Gandorf61

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If sailing comes, I might quit rs. :|

Luckily, it's not, and people who think it is are just stupid. :roll:

And you're supposed to be some wise prophet or something...? :-k

That's why some skills need to be updated this year, and new releases need to be well done and useful. Woodcut and agility were implemented when the game was a lot less shallow than it is now.

Obviously they will be updating the old skills hence the title "Year of the Updates" but still, I don't see how that means they won't be adding in anything new.

New skills shouldn't be made specifically for fun but useless gameplay - that's what FunOrb and minigames are for. Why can't something be fun AND useful? It seems to me that making a new update fit in the game should be done before it is drafted to be fun.

I'm not saying that - it's just your argument seemed to revolve around the usefulness of skills as opposed to anything else. Slayer and Construction aren't necessarily as useful as most of the other skills, but the way Jagex introduced them into the game made them enjoyable skills. I don't see why the assumption should be made that Jagex is going to stop following their old successful ways.

If every update is more efficient than some previous update, you'll have a huge map with everyone clustered in the best training spots. Every update has to be balanced some way, either in speed or cost, or both. Almost everything in RuneScape is based around killing and collecting, that's why Summoning, Construction, Farming, and RuneCraft were more interesting, do-it-yourself skills. Sailing could be like one of these depending on what twist the developers gave to it. But Sailing implies travel only, which isn't worthy of a skill - Piracy or Exploration seem like better leads for a skill.

Yes, it could. This was my main point in the first place. I'm not saying that it's definitely going to happen but I just don't see how it's anymore unbalanced than the other skills. Oh and whatever you think is implied by Sailing is your personal opinion. What Sailing implies to me is struggling to ride through ominous storms, accessing new areas (areas where you can train your other skills), new methods of fishing, plunging into watery depths for treasure, upgrading your ship, facing off against other ships, maneuvering through reef-mazes, etc. That's what I call an intricate place in the RS system.

I apologize if I gave you the impression that I was totally condemning all sailing possibilities. However, because of the Pirate FunOrb game and repeated denial from Jagex that Sailing is in existence, I don't believe it's coming out soon.

No, I just don't see how it would be any more unbalanced than the other skills. That's nothing but a pretty bold assumption if you ask me. You should give Jagex more credit. Don't you think that if they can make a the most successful Java game ever then they have the genuine ability to make a skill that fits almost perfectly into the RS system?

All moneymaking methods in RuneScape are balanced.

I don't know where you got off that Sailing implies nothing more than making money. What says that Jagex isn't going to make the enjoyability a big part of it? Like I said earlier, Construction and Slayer aren't exactly useful but the way Jagex incorporated them into RS is what got people hooked on.

As you said, that's a person's personal opinion, such as you have yours.

If sailing comes, I might quit rs. :|

Luckily, it's not, and people who think it is are just stupid. :roll:

And you're supposed to be some wise prophet or something...? :-k

And are you?

I apologize if I gave you the impression that I was totally condemning all sailing possibilities. However, because of the Pirate FunOrb game and repeated denial from Jagex that Sailing is in existence, I don't believe it's coming out soon.

No, I just don't see how it would be any more unbalanced than the other skills. That's nothing but a pretty bold assumption if you ask me. You should give Jagex more credit. Don't you think that if they can make a the most successful Java game ever then they have the genuine ability to make a skill that fits almost perfectly into the RS system?

That's not an on-topic answer isn't it.

The good answer is: JAGeX did give a denial and in one of their posts, I think it was Mod Mark's, he said:

Altough I might want to become a pirate one day.

This could have to do with the FunOrb game, so I personally believe there's going to be no sailing skill. At least not in the next year.

priest_wiz.png

And are you?

Umm, never made the assertion that Sailing is definitely coming out. I just said it could be a good idea and it's not as unlikely as people say it is. Someone needs a comprehension check...

That's not an on-topic answer isn't it.

The good answer is: JAGeX did give a denial and in one of their posts, I think it was Mod Mark's, he said:

Altough I might want to become a pirate one day.

This could have to do with the FunOrb game, so I personally believe there's going to be no sailing skill. At least not in the next year.

:lol: Thanks for proving my point for me. Next time be sure not to bring up evidence that backfires on you.

Here, I'll clear things up for you so that you cease at making a fool of yourself. My argument was against the people who say, "No, Sailing will never come out!" and "No, Sailing is the worst skilling idea ever!"

I noticed this when I voted. If figure than maybe all those kudos in the museum will be worth more than just experiance by years end. I don't think there will be a sailing skill, or a sailing minigame. I think we might end up sailing someplace new.

[hide=Omfg Sailing Evidence]15zfw9y.png[/hide]

Oh my god, all those skills are coming true!@ I believe you all now!

[hide=Archeology!!!]scqkbr.png[/hide]

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.

And with that, you do the same as writing, look i do not agree, and i think everyone that does is stupid, cause the idea is stupid.

:roll:

spec?u?la?tion

? ?/?sp?ky??le???n/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [spek-yuh-ley-shuhn]

noun

1. the contemplation or consideration of some subject: to engage in speculation on humanity's ultimate destiny.

2. a single instance or process of consideration.

3. a conclusion or opinion reached by such contemplation: These speculations are impossible to verify.

4. conjectural consideration of a matter; conjecture or surmise: a report based on speculation rather than facts.

We are speculating something involving sailing might happen. Does this mean it will? Maybe not, but do you have any proof it will NEVER happen?

:roll:

spec?u?la?tion

? ?/?sp?ky??le???n/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [spek-yuh-ley-shuhn]

noun

1. the contemplation or consideration of some subject: to engage in speculation on humanity's ultimate destiny.

2. a single instance or process of consideration.

3. a conclusion or opinion reached by such contemplation: These speculations are impossible to verify.

4. conjectural consideration of a matter; conjecture or surmise: a report based on speculation rather than facts.

We are speculating something involving sailing might happen. Does this mean it will? Maybe not, but do you have any proof it will NEVER happen?

Do we have proof it will EVER happen?

No.

We have nothing, but some vague word-plays and a dubious picture. Untill the time I see some real proof of any of these two, I'm just going to deny the existence.

This is my personal choice. You have yours and I'l have mine.

priest_wiz.png

And with that, you do the same as writing, look i do not agree, and i think everyone that does is stupid, cause the idea is stupid.

This was quite a lot more fun. ;)

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.

There's a difference between a legitimate hint and idiocy.

Tired of these overused jokes.

The hints could simply mean they are thinking, or contemplating how such a skill could play out given all these ongoing rumors going around the RuneScape community.

There's also a difference between a legitimate hint and a widely used figure of speech.

A_Punk.png

Formerly RobinHoodie.

There's also a difference between a legitimate hint and a widely used figure of speech.

Regardless; I am sick of these overused, patronizing jokes.

Well then you shouldn't have written that first sentence eh? :P

Also it was meant to be patronizing.

A_Punk.png

Formerly RobinHoodie.

If Jagex ever does release sailing, I highly doubt they'd be able to muster enough content to make it a skill. It's so obscure, and finite, that it just doesnt make sense to have as a skill.

My personal opinion would be that sailing would be a minigame/unlockable feature, which would be unlocked through a quest, and would rely on pre-existing skills to allow you to travel to different places, or to heighten your success rate of travel.

As a whole the skill would sound pretty boring, and kinda forced and strained for content. We have construction- build a boat, heck we can make canoes with WC. Sailing just makes so little sense... blah, I cant even convey my contempt and distaste for the very idea of a sailing 'skill'.

a minigame would be nice though! seems perfect for a do-able minigame- we could have so that we have to maintain the ship, while someone navigates, and we could do things like, repair the sails, and bail water... I feel like I've heard of this before... :wall:

Reverents can be a pain, but you can run away from them. Just curious, do they still have teleblocking ability?

Fear the church, the reverents have 85 magic!!!!

No the first sentence fits just fine. Idiocy

Sure the chance is there. But it's so small that it's negligible. I could go through every bts and find something that can possibly be a new skill.

A_Punk.png

Formerly RobinHoodie.

The hints could simply mean they are thinking, or contemplating how such a skill could play out given all these ongoing rumors going around the RuneScape community.

I definitely agree here. It's okay to be skeptical but honestly, the overused jokes are much more annoying than the speculation threads. :?

No the first sentence fits just fine. Idiocy

Sure the chance is there. But it's so small that it's negligible. I could go through every bts and find something that can possibly be a new skill.

O! M! G! :o

Re-read the BTS with the "Leave no stone unturned" line. This is clearly a reference to the upcoming "Wriggly thing catching". :shock:

We'll have to use planks to lever over the rocks dotted across RS, and catch the bugs and stuff underneath in jars. Use crafting and high level workshop furniture to improve the planks and make custom levers, making it possible to lift them easier and quicker, improving the chance that something awesome won't have time to get away while you overturn the rock. :thumbup:

Some of these will be used for new herblore potions, others for summoning, and we will be able to use a combination of magic, herblore and summoning to grow the things bigger, give them abilities, and just generally making them more awesome, by having them as summoning pets and feeding them magical potions. These will then be able to be used for all sorts of things:

Mining will be much more AWESOME! with GIANT WRIGGLY THINGS! ( <3: ) digging up ores, possibly leading to the much anticipated "tunnelling" skill, which will rely on mining, crafting and construction, and will be gone into at a later date. It might even help with the upcoming archaeology skill, and the hotly anticipated "Drilling holes to the eastern lands", the "Busting into the elven city that should have been released years ago godsdamnit" and the "Getting around that stupid gate in Varrock bank basement, or into any banks for that matter, hey, I could probably bust in and score me a phat or two, nice inspiration *D" skills/miniquests/w\e.

Crafting will get access to all kinds of awesome new materials, like chitin, for creating armour and weapons, and it could be combined with smithing and fletching to upgrade current equipment. Who knows, perhaps people with high summoning and attack/defence/range/mage can wield living weapons/armour!!one!

Firemaking will be more useful as it will be combined with slayer, as the giant tunnelling thingies will get you access to the tunnels and lairs and w/e of some really giant boss tunnelling thingies and their minions, who are all weak to fire, the bigger the better, and may have something to do with some kind of oil for flaming weapons, maybe some kind of NPC who hates them and wants to hunt them or extinctemify (Word? Probably not.) them or something, I don't know.

For farming, think of all the awesome things they could do to compost to improve it, and they could really improve vinesweeper (mental picture of a rabbit running for stuff, giant worm thingy head comes out of ground with mouth around rabbit, sinks back down, other rabbits bugger off. Muahahaha.)

Fishing, you could get some awesome bait, and after you get down to the caves where the tunnels go you could fish all kinds of awesome stuff, maybe you come across smeagol and he teaches you if you gets us- him, that is, hahaha... >.>- a supply of rings, maybe changed to some other kind of jewellery and with a different name for him, don't want any copyright lawsuits after all. Helps cooking too, what with the new fish, the weird bug thingies, and the probability of all kinds of edible roots and stuff down below.

Hunter should be fairly obvious, given the large numbers of creatures introduced, maybe they could even make it so that it was needed to find the big boss monster trails, something like that anyways. Maybe some kind of under-underground-lake-water swimming thing where you catch stuff...

Runecrafting, well, who knows whats down there, maybe the soul altar? Probably some rune essence, too

Prayer, some new bones might be nice, and we could probably find some primitive (or not, of course) crawly thing god that gives a couple of nice prayers, failing that wearing living creatures for armour is sure to impress the gods, right? Prayer bonuses FTW.

Thieving, how awesome would it be to tunnel up inside places and get to loot them, just think of all the trapped but unguarded treasure chests lying around.

Woodcutting could probably be handy for clearing roots out of tunnels and stuff like that, plus of all the awesome followers, surely one can eat trees and spit logs. Maybe even planks, which would be handy for con Which would also be useful for building re-enforcements for tunnels and stuff.

That just leaves agility, and it should be blatantly obvious how handy that would be in cramped underground tunnels and navigating cracks in the wall.

Oh, and I guess we can shove a couple of boats or w/e in the underground lakes for sailing. Might have to be renamed boating or something though, I dont think paddling or poling really carry the image too well.

Awesome skill, right? And its ok to speculate about, because Jagex gave us hints. Well, a hint, but Ill see if I can find some more.

Oh, and yes, I am aware that I said awesome rather too many times in this, but I cant help it, Im just that excited. After all, the tunnels can be used as transport, so we can finally bypass all those tellies, transportation networks and ships. :thumbup:

Also, as you can no doubt tell some of the names need a bit of work >.<

Hail to The Great Big Penguin in the sky. And Guthix, of course.

Harbringerjm.gif

Im guessing the post above me is sarcasm, although from an objective viewpoint I dont find it funny at all. I just feel sorry that you spent so long typing out such a large block of text which nobody will read anyway because guess what:

[hide=What?]People dont read huge blocks of text. It hurts the eyes.[/hide]

Maybe you should take a look at a few examples of sarcasm that have been well recieved in the past, and learn from those, although I think you will struggle to find any of those in this thread.

As it is, I think there will be a quest relating to sailing coming out fairly soon, however I dont believe the skill will be. Do I want it to come out? Sure, I have an open mind and I can imagine myself enjoying a piracy and travelling concept of Sailing, the people who have closed minds who do not imagine anything could be fun because of their own limited opinion on the matter... those are the people who do not deserve a new skill in the first place.

"Construction? Who would ever want a rubbish skill like that so you can sit down and make tea?"

No, Construction can actually be extremely useful with teleports and gilded altars...

OPEN YOUR MINDS!

As for the people who leave patronising and generally nasty comments on this thread just because they refuse to believe in something without definite proof, GTFO! Did your parents happen to tell you that Santa Claus was made up when you were a child? Have some imagination for the love of god!

Even if you dont want to believe, in denial perhaps, GTFO of this thread! Why would you post on a thread multiple times when you are not even interested in the concept!

Those are just my 2 cents from an unbiased person =P I know I am a hypocrite for that large block of text, but I enjoyed releasing my frustration to the world...

erjypx.jpg

Just kidding ladies, you know I love you =D

Guide to Making Money with NPC Trading

^ lol Well said. ::'

I don't care if people think we're stupid for creating so much hype over such a little thing but I just wish they would accept the fact that it is possible. So maybe it wont happen, the point is that it could and it might.

Just a little note for those who say Jagex said sailing wouldn't be released: Has Jagex always said the entire truth? There have been times when they have, well not lied, but not been exactly telling of the whole truth or have not always kept true to what they have said.

Maybe they were just saying it wouldn't be out soon to keep the hype down?

You have to admit there is NO SECRET about the rumors of sailing (we know JaGex reads their forums to some extent) and although the term "smooth sailing" is commonly used, let's give JaGex some credit. Although it may just be nothing, there is absolutely the possibility that they said it on purpose. Maybe the skill will come out, maybe a mini game, or maybe as I said in an earlier post on this thread, maybe they are just messing with people and we will see a nice little toy sailboat from Diango on April 1st. Either way we don't know with any certainty. IMHO, the 09 behind the scenes called it a year of fixes or whatever, a new skill seems like it does not fit into this. I agree that time is better spent fixing those desolate quest towns and adding to some of the needy skills that already exist.

chris_924.png