Jan. 7 Poll Clues! Sailing Skill [NEW] Exploration Skill

Gandorf61

The sailing skill would be almost pointless and have no real place in the game. Think about it.

Again, it doesn't have to be all about travelling from A to B, RuneScape has ended up in a design where people have forgotten that the slightly damp area between two points on land actually exists on the map. People will realise how big distances actually are when they can't teleport to get somewhere, especially when there's storms, pirates, shipwrecks, islands and sea monsters located somewhere between A and B.

At the moment, I'm still a serious skeptic about whether it will actually happen in the near future, but it is true that the concept could be made into a full skill. When you have to beat firemaking in terms of imagination and complexity, it's not that hard to make an acceptable plan for it.

Jagex has demonstrated their ability with Java, they can make Randomly Generated Scenarios (SC), they can make customised structures (POHs), they're ridiculously creative (a lot of things).

Jagex can do this effectively, but I don't think they will quite yet, there's Upgrade Year to deal with. I think that's a fairly convincing bit of evidence that Jagex has no intention to release something so new, so big and so different as the Sailing skill this year.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sailing skill would be almost pointless and have no real place in the game. Think about it.

Again, it doesn't have to be all about travelling from A to B, RuneScape has ended up in a design where people have forgotten that the slightly damp area between two points on land actually exists on the map. People will realise how big distances actually are when they can't teleport to get somewhere, especially when there's storms, pirates, shipwrecks, islands and sea monsters located somewhere between A and B.

The only thing you'll end up with is a broken failboat...

priest_wiz.png

Ever heard the saying "smooth sailing"?

Yes but why use that expression?

It just seems like a hint to me.

"Let's just say he bit off more than he could chew" - Jagex

OMFG THERE'S GOING TO BE A CHEWING SKILL!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE STOCK UP ON BEEF AND SINEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

TIF-SIG-PREVAIL.jpg

IRC Nick: Hiroki | 99 Agility | Max Quest Points | 138 Combat

Bandos drops: 20 Hilt | 22 Chestplate | 21 Tassets | 14 Boots

Ever heard the saying "smooth sailing"?

Yes but why use that expression?

It just seems like a hint to me.

"Let's just say he bit off more than he could chew" - Jagex

OMFG THERE'S GOING TO BE A CHEWING SKILL!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVERYONE STOCK UP ON BEEF AND SINEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

GR is RuneScape's most talented reaper; in fact, his customary black robes are no ordinary vestments, but the legendary Reaper skillcape

ZOMFG!! THERE'S GOING TO BE A REAPING SKILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

priest_wiz.png

For the love of all that is right and holy why is this argument still going on?

Look people ALL OF YOU! The fact is no one will concede defeat. If RS closes with no skill like sailing it will not matter because there will be no point in arguing it AT ALL. If the skill comes out, people will leave, people will ignore it, people will train it. Get over it.

Now look at it from this side. I am not pro or con sailing I am just stating real facts.

Any skill has some way that it touches on at least 2 other skills. Firemaking touches prayer and cooking. Slayer touches all 6 combat related skills. Wood cutting touches Firemaking and Fletching. Sailing can be one of the few super skills that touches on everything in it's own way, or a weak skill that will always need improvement but will still help 2+ other skills.

To make the skill viable there would need to be a massive and I mean MASSIVE update. When HD came out the servers lurched. Don't tell me you don't remember that. The update would require a new map upgrade 5x or more the size to offer enough for people to truly want to use it. The download to your PC as well as every other person's would clog even more space and the servers would ALL require a hardware upgrade to support the massive data trucking through.

Economically it would not be a good idea for the skill to come out any time soon simply due to the international recession caused by some of the bigger countries.

In truth the only thing any of you should argue is why we don't need another skill release like summoning.

Stupid.png

For the love of all that is right and holy why is this argument still going on?

Look people ALL OF YOU! The fact is no one will concede defeat. If RS closes with no skill like sailing it will not matter because there will be no point in arguing it AT ALL. If the skill comes out, people will leave, people will ignore it, people will train it. Get over it.

Now look at it from this side. I am not pro or con sailing I am just stating real facts.

Any skill has some way that it touches on at least 2 other skills. Firemaking touches prayer and cooking. Slayer touches all 6 combat related skills. Wood cutting touches Firemaking and Fletching. Sailing can be one of the few super skills that touches on everything in it's own way, or a weak skill that will always need improvement but will still help 2+ other skills.

To make the skill viable there would need to be a massive and I mean MASSIVE update. When HD came out the servers lurched. Don't tell me you don't remember that. The update would require a new map upgrade 5x or more the size to offer enough for people to truly want to use it. The download to your PC as well as every other person's would clog even more space and the servers would ALL require a hardware upgrade to support the massive data trucking through.

Economically it would not be a good idea for the skill to come out any time soon simply due to the international recession caused by some of the bigger countries.

In truth the only thing any of you should argue is why we don't need another skill release like summoning.

Be quiet and let us bash/praise an unexisting skill.

priest_wiz.png