Slayer..

Orly_Owl

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

Hmm... well, those people are ignorant, I guess.

No matter which way you look at it, Dragonstone bolts, which special barely EVER occurs, costs way too much. Range is slower and less efficient. FACT. (Dragonstone bolts are actually pretty useless :XD: )

Saying that it isn't a viable option, is a lie.

But... I don't see how Range is any less of a grind, maybe even more due to safespots.

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So why do people say not to train slayer by range?

Yeah, its not the fastest.. But neither is melee slayer

What? Meleeing slayer isn't fastest for slayer exp???

Okay, 1 possible reason why "people say not to train slayer by range" is because melee is generally easier to train without the use of expensive ammos, in most cases people's accounts have Melee skills higher than Ranged. As the general rule of thumb, higher stats usually speeds you up more, thus people would recommend you to use your higher stats because it takes away the silly brainwork which is irrelevant. But what is the brainwork behind measuring exp rates. Its just like finding your own heartbeat rate.

Or they dislike rangers in general, when meleers have conflicting interests with them. Warriors wanting to kill faster while the rangers safespot for safety by sacrificing speed. If they promote people to range slay it would slow down the respawn time doesn't it??

Etc................ You can see how board you question leads to...it just doesn't effect an average Joe that you shouldn't doing slayer with ranged. By rather their own preference as to how they do it, which doesn't concern me or you, the matter of fact.

But we get told by the "professional" high level people that training melee by slayer is the best thing you can do.

Are you so narrow-minded that you can simply accept an opinion and not to question it?? Wow Runescape is like a land of choices, "the best thing you can do" is doing what you're best at.

Total Level 2247- 11x 99s All Combat Skills, Slayer, Summoning, Woodcutting, Herblore

I see exaclty what owly is saying on this thread. I personally did not range many tasks, however, come to think of it, I wish I had. You are not only training both the range and slayer skills XP, but you also get the variety not associated with camping or grinding.

In future, I will be suggesting slayer to be trained by range if levels are sufficient to do so.

Good rant.

P.S. Most of the commenters against the OP have either not read, or even worse, understood the point of the OPs views.

thurdinatorio4.png

thurdinatorzk9.png

16x Black mask

1x Dragon Chainbody

1x Dragonic Visage

32x Dragon Boots

Obsidian Drops:-13 x Cape/ 6 x Shield/ 6 x Maul/ 750+ Onyx Tips

Y Guy gets it.

He gets it because he can't compare xp rates? Range isn't bad, but it's definetely not good compared to melee at ANY task.

RobinHoodie... he closed his guide down.

'You're missing my point' :|

My point is that if people tell people to melee slayer even when its slow and doesnt make money, yet trains the skill, which is the MAIN basic reason people tell them to (for future epicness like abby demons \' etc), why they dont tell them to range?

Yeah I get your point but you dont get mine.

Im still kinda waiting for the right answer to blow the torch.

What? I answered to your point.

People who train Slayer SHOULD train it efficiently because Slayer is a skill. Slayer is definetely an inefficient way to train combat, but Slayer in itself is a skill. Which is why it makes sense to train efficiently.

I get your point, but you're definetely not getting mine.

He is saying that IF you want to lvl ranged, why not do it through slayer.

You are saying IF you lvl slayer, do it through melee.

That's a difference.

For me personally, I melee all my tasks, cause I dont wanna loose my slayer helmet bonus. I mean, thats why you train slayer, right? (+ for slayer xp and a variety in your training)

RobinHoodie... he closed his guide down.

Orly? :twss: Hehe.

Well ranging slayer is innefficient. Honestly, it is, you're better off meleeing. But people like me, just love slayer and want to raise it whenever you raise combat skills. :thumbup:

A_Punk.png

Thanks to all those who have messaged me concerning a revamp of my Range-Slayer guide. Because of you all I will start rewriting it asap.[/color]

Formerly RobinHoodie.

Meeling is actually faster, remember that, with black mask you get 15% attack and strength bonus, that + a pure set, makes you kill monsters pretty fast, with ranged, only potion, so slayer has more melee boosts than ranged, maybe that's one of the many reasons why people train slayer with melee

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png

well on my ranger tank im 60 def and 76 range atm and i have been traing slayer for awhile

and i am kill most of the same monsters as people of the same lvl as me with range then melee

i dont think it really matters its a preference of choice in my opinion. of course many people my lvl (75) dont have 75 att or str to compare it too

98% Of teenagers surround their minds with rap music, if you're part of the 2% that stayed with rock, put this in your signature, ROCK IS BETTER!

I think the problem lies in the fact that most people have higher melee than range/mage statts and that rs weps,armour etc. seem more biased to melee, with the huge str bonus armour and amazing weps. However everyone loves an underdog story and you should bring range slaying to the public eye. I for one melee slayer, because thats what im drawn to, but my best mate is ranging and realy enjoying.

All i have to say is melee, range or mage - Happy Slaying :)

Crystallus_g.png

"It is not the man that makes the risk, It is the risk that makes the man"

I personally train using slayer because I like the varity in monsters.

also ranging is faster for black demon tasks, honestly, at 88 range and using void with broad arrows I kill black demons faster with range then 120s who melee them with a familiar..

#4500 to 91 rc - 03-03-09

angel2w.gif

I personally train using slayer because I like the varity in monsters.

also ranging is faster for black demon tasks, honestly, at 88 range and using void with broad arrows I kill black demons faster with range then 120s who melee them with a familiar..

No you dont.

Robinhoodie calced the xp per hour at black demons with 99 ranged. He didnt use void though. He came out at 45k xp an hour.

A while ago, I timed my xp there meleeing, which was about 60k xp an hour, and which can certainly be higher.

I am currently employed in raising my slayer, with my goal of 83. Gonna take a while as you can see in my signature that im not really that close lol. But i have found that it is faster to melee most tasks. For me, this is because of the weapons. With a black mask and either a whip and or a dragon scimmy, i can kill faster then using range. Now, my range is not that far behind my str. The reason is the weapons and mask. The mask works only for melee, and for me it adds alot of accuracy and ups my max damage from 24 too 26 with whip. To get comparably high hits based on my range lvl, i have to use my rune Cbow and broad bolts. Even with my range bonus at +180, i still dont hit as often as whip and black mask. And my range max with broad is only 21. On top of that, the crossbow is slower. If i was able to use rune arrows and a mage short, I would probably do fine with range, but im not gonna waste the money on 5k rune arrows when i have multitudes of serviceable steel and mith arrows. Unfortunately, using anything but rune drops my hits so low that the extra speed cant make up for it.

This isnt to say that i dont use range for slayer. I do. I find that the ability to not have to go get more food and stuff very usuful. Also, in a busy spot such as the blue drags, range is preferable just because you can get drags. its almost impossible to beat the rangers to the drags if your a meleer. For tasks such as lessers and basilisks and such, melee is by far superior just because i can finish my entire task in one inventory of tuna, provided i remember alching runes. For difficult tasks like black demons, I range because then i dont have to leave every 30 demons to refresh my food and potions. Not having to walk back thru taverly dungeon multiple times more then makes up for the slowness of range in actually killing the demons.

pere_grin.png

At lower levels it doesn't matter much and I think the cost of food and the lack of money at lower levels might persuade some to train slayer with ranged.

At least I used to.

However once you hit the higher levels, all you need for a task is a few bunyips and maybe guthans. The cost for melee becomes much lower. The damage though becomes alot higher, hitting 35's - 40's with mask is common.

That together with the fact that higher tasks are harder to range (Abyssals, Gargoyles, Dark beasts,...) make melee a much more efficient and cheaper way to do slayer.

God damn noone is reading the OP.

You all think he's saying "Why not range slay for SLAYER XP/LEVELS?"

But he is saying "Why not range slay when you want to level range? It has the same benefits as melee slayer, and the same cons. Its not the fastest way to make money or xp either way, neither is slayer. So, why not?"

Does anyone get this yet?

I agree, almost completely.

It is as if when someone asks for a way to train range, noone ever says slayer, even HERE on TIP.IT, where we AVIDLY SLAY.

And yet when someone asks for a way to train MELEE, its almost always SLAYER.

I dont need a siggy no moar.

But he is saying "Why not range slay when you want to level range? It has the same benefits as melee slayer, and the same cons. Its not the fastest way to make money or xp either way, neither is slayer. So, why not?"

Does anyone get this yet?

I agree, almost completely.

It is as if when someone asks for a way to train range, noone ever says slayer, even HERE on TIP.IT, where we AVIDLY SLAY.

And yet when someone asks for a way to train MELEE, its almost always SLAYER.

That is because when meleeing your slayer tasks, you get this slayer helm bonuses. You wouldnt get those when you werent on a slayer task.

If you range your slayer task, it is as if you are just ranging as always. No xp bonuses. You do get slayer xp as a bonus of course, that's true.

I do get what you mean though, and If I were 70 ranged, I'd most probably do it through slayer, although aviansies would be a really good alternative. However, at like lvl 90 or so, ranging is ungodly slow and I'd rather chin my way up (if I wanted to get 99, which I did, but somewhat regret).

Melee slayer is so ungodly slow, you have armoured zombies and other things which are so much more fun, so, I guess I, and some others including the OP put this to you:

Why not?

Jeez.

Um...duh? Because it's slower experience and less profit?

How the [bleep] hell do you STILL NOT NOTICE what the OP means!?

Its obviously less xp, and so is melee.

JESUS! READ! :x

He means that Melee slayer is more efficient. Although slayer isin't the best EXP in the game, it is better to slay melee.

BEcause you are slaying, you are probably training melee and ranged. Slayer aswell.

It is faster to max melee with helm, then go back and max range. It would take less time because you don't get the bonus of the slayer helm. It is kinda like training controlled.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

How the [bleep] hell do you STILL NOT NOTICE what the OP means!?

Its obviously less xp, and so is melee.

JESUS! READ! :x

I wasn't responding to Owl. I was responding to your interpretation of Owl's complaint.

And I would think the answer would be obvious. Why not? Because it's slower money, it's slower slayer experience, and it's slower ranged experience. You might as well ask "Why not train ranged on crocodiles?"

The real point is one of hypocrisy; that is, why, if slayer is brought up when talking about melee, is slayer slayer not brought up when talking about ranged? And I have already addressed that.

'You're missing my point' :|

My point is that if people tell people to melee slayer even when its slow and doesnt make money, yet trains the skill, which is the MAIN basic reason people tell them to (for future epicness like abby demons \' etc), why they dont tell them to range?

Yeah I get your point but you dont get mine.

Im still kinda waiting for the right answer to blow the torch.

Oh, easy answer. The people who say to train melee with slayer are usually wrong when they say to train melee with slayer. In the cases where they are right, they'd be saying, "Your slayer level is pretty low...why not train that, since it's worth getting and it lines up nicely with your goal of training melee?" In other words, they are flipping it around and focus on slayer training, with the combat experience as the side benefit.

Slayer is never the best way to train melee, but melee is the best way to train slayer. The people who say to train melee with slayer are really just saying to train slayer. In contrast, slayer is never the best way to train ranged, but aside from cannons, ranged is not the best way to train slayer either. Therefore, saying to train ranged with slayer would be akin to saying to train fishing on sharks--bad advice.

Slayer is never the best way to train melee, but melee is the best way to train slayer. The people who say to train melee with slayer are really just saying to train slayer. In contrast, slayer is never the best way to train ranged, but aside from cannons, ranged is not the best way to train slayer either. Therefore, saying to train ranged with slayer would be akin to saying to train fishing on sharks--bad advice.

This pretty much wraps it up.

In the example of training fishing on sharks, it is better to fish something with better exp, then use the time to make money. More Exp, More Money. If you say train fishing on sharks, then it is moderate exp, moderate money.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

Still doesnt explain why people say your slayer level is low, so go train it only for melee.

Yeah sure its not as slow, but thats not even a reason not to say range.

Apparently I have a backwards reasoning, so you may choose to ignore what I say, but for me, slayer has always been linked to both melee and ranged. And vice versa as well.

I maxed melee and ranged through slayer as much as I maxed slayer through melee and ranged. It may not have been the fastest method to max them out, but it sure felt like the most enjoyable method to me. I sort of felt that since I was aiming for 99 ranged and 99 slayer in the long run, I could just as well combine them. I've always hated ranged with a passion until I started training it through slayer. I got 99 ranged and 99 slayer in the same task as well, which was a lot of fun ::'.

I guess part of the reason people advise to get melee up through slayer more often than ranged through slayer, is that not every slayer task is great for ranging, while melee is nearly always a possibility. Getting through those tasks can be gruesome. Apart from the obvious bonus of the slayer mask/helmet and the 'slowness' issue. My way has always been to melee the tasks I couldn't range and range the tasks that lent themselves for it (nechryael, dragons, bloodveld,...) for a nice set of maxed out stats.

I find myself having the same philosophy as Sumpta. But I have to say the last miles for 99 slayer was mostly done using melee as I wanted to get it behind me faster.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563