Weak Passwords Must Be Changed - 09-January-2009

Kenneh

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone talking about brute force.... there's no need for a script or anything besides your brain with those 500 passwords that they blocked.

Top 10 most common passwords from PC World:

1. password

2. 123456

3. qwerty

4. abc123

5. letmein

6. monkey

7. myspace1

8. password1

9. link182 (*I think this one was supposed to be blink182*)

10. (your first name)

or as a lot of Jagex customers are from the UK, here's a most common PW in the UK list:

1. 123

2. password

3. liverpool

4. letmein

5. 123456

6. qwerty

7. charlie

8. monkey

9. arsenal

10. thomas

With the amount of complaining about people getting hacked and blahdy blah, I can't believe they haven't implemented this sooner. Most people get hacked because they're stupid. Use a password that's not so easy to guess. :wall:

KingJD36.png

Letmein, lol.
How's this one: LetNein.
If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

Well I have been hacked before because my password was WAIT FOR IT....gunit

lol

Well now its alotttt more complicated with alot more numbers and letters combined and even if someone hacks me I have another password thats easy for me to remember that will also be impossible to gues :P

But I haven't been hacked since Like two months after I started my account ftw

Ponder00.png

twssmas.gif

You should of course keep this in a very safe place, like giving it to your parents or guardian for safekeeping.

You are now playing KidScape. Enjoy being wrapped in cottonwool while we feed you hot milk. :wall:

Roll on Mechscape.

asrhasrh.jpg

Let's all complain about a little update that only has good intentions and a positive impact.. Yeah.

I know, this is ridiculous. Every time there is an update of ANY kind, people feel obligated to complain. If your password is already good, then don't sweat it. But it did help the idiots with dumb ones. And it's not a waste of time because it literally takes about 2 hours to do. And remember people, if you are under 18, you yourself are a kid, so quit [bleep]ing about it being for kids just because you are a loud and proud 13/14 year old that thinks you're all that because you are a big boy 8th/9th grader.

I'd imagine the main target of it is people who play together in a group at school.

For instance, I guessed tonnes of my friends passwords at school to get onto their file system, because it was their favourite football team, computer game etc.

My password got banned, surprisingly, considering it was quite a strange reference that I'd imagine no one could guess. But maybe if you knew me really well in real life you could guess it.

Ever seen the RSOF? Your general Runescape player seems pretty stupid.

This will definately have a positive impact.

For me, my password is 19 characters long, but is actually a sentence :thumbsup:

When you go feather dragon god, you never go back.

While I think the latter option - letting players experience firsthand just how secure "password" is, then getting hacked - is a far better teaching tool, this isn't such a bad update. It's a wake-up call to the people that keep their accounts insecure - Jagex can only put so many locks on your account before they finally chalk it up to the poor, dumb user.

Seriously now. Figure out a password that's strong and secure, and not something super-flimsy. This is a practice that I've been doing for ages.

[NOTE] To everyone posting hints about their password: KNOCK IT OFF, DAMMIT.

Edit:

You should of course keep this in a very safe place, like giving it to your parents or guardian for safekeeping.

You are now playing KidScape. Enjoy being wrapped in cottonwool while we feed you hot milk. :wall:

Roll on Mechscape.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but MechScape is still being made by the same company that's allegedly wrapping you in "cottonwool", right? Grow up.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I learnt my lesson after getting hacked! One of my RL friends hacked me, guessed my pass which was..... Chaztheman !! :evil: How did they guess??

Either way, I was only small, about level 40, and they completely emptied my bank! I had no idea how to get back all the essentials I lost, luckily that was before the Miniclip era, so I could safely ask for help to recover my property!.... ahh those were the days...

Back on topic: Good update I suppose, common sense really though and I dont really like the feeling you cant have the pass you want to have....

erjypx.jpg

Just kidding ladies, you know I love you =D

Guide to Making Money with NPC Trading

Back on topic: Good update I suppose, common sense really though and I dont really like the feeling you cant have the pass you want to have....

If you don't want to be hacked, but you want your password to be "legend456", then you've got some conflicting goals. The idea here is to promote better Internet security.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

So, I'm not sure how well this will work...

I've been hacked with a password that was 3 numbers(not random-ish), 3 letters(random), 1 number(random)

I didn't have a keylogger, or anything else. Apparently, this emo-wannabee-kid-who-hates-every-one-and-thinks-he's-cool hacked me by using jagex's site that has all passes stored...

He threatened me that I would be hacked if I didn't buy him pizza, and I didn't.

That night, I logged to find all my items gone. About killed him the next day.

And, no. I never, ever said my password. Ever.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

I've been hacked with a password that was 3 numbers(not random-ish), 3 letters(random), 1 number(random)

I didn't have a keylogger, or anything else. Apparently, this emo-wannabee-kid-who-hates-every-one-and-thinks-he's-cool hacked me by using jagex's site that has all passes stored...

He threatened me that I would be hacked if I didn't buy him pizza, and I didn't.

Propably used your recovs to get the password. Or guessed it. Also, there isn't a site where the passwords are stored, it's in a SQL or something similar database most likely and someone who wants pizza for not hacking you wouldn't know how to crack it. If he did, we all would've been hacked long time ago by someone smarter.

I think this is long overdue, long long time overdue. Good thing but a little late.

I think my passes should be all safe, all are over 15 characters long and mix of numbers and letters, bruteforcing it would take quite some time but you never know.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either

a fool or a coward.

Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law

is both.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant:

"If I live, I will kill you, If I Die, you are forgiven."

Such is the Rule of Honor.

Wowww. a 7 letter password. Your epic.

Mines 18 letters/numbers.

Make it longer, and stop whining.

And there is no site that Jagex uses to store passwords. Its called a database. The database is hidden probably on a backend, and you would need an IP address, an open port, AND a login to get into. My guess is that this database has some 25 character usename AND password, to be sure that no script kiddies get into it. This is most likely all sitting behind many layers of industrial firewall. This kid just fed you a load of crap and you ate it all up.

My rs password is completely impossible to hack almsot. It is maxed out in length (I can remember all 24/25 digits).

I wonder if any english,german, or spanish curse words are blocked .....

Its people like you that they would implement a censor on passwords for these...

blood_argon.gif

99 Crafting :: 39,750th || 99 Attack :: 1,775th

Its not usless, it just turns that chance you are going to get guessed down even more. even if theres not a major threat in the first place , there is always a chance someone can guess a password, as a small as it might be.

better safe than sorry :|

i love it when teachers say" go ahead, ask away there are no stupid questions."

i raise my hand and ask" can u pull down your pants? like right now?"

wildysigwithtxt1hy6.gif

I remember some 10 year old posting on RSOF bragging about how he hacked his bro, who used his gf's name as his password. I've also heard that some hackers just try random girl's names. So I imagine at least a few girl's names are on the list.

Lugia_Lvl138.png

4x Phat owner: Blue, Green, 2x Purple

3100+ GWD bosses soloed.

Solo GWD Drops:

5 Bandos Plates, 4 Bandos Boots, 3 Bandos Hilts, 2 Arma Helms, Arma Skirt, Arma Plate, 3 Arma Hilts, 4 Zammy Spears, Steam Staff, 15 Sara Swords, 6 Sara Hilts, 29 Shards.

I do agree with a lot of the comments being said, a friend of mine had a password which was "hacked", quite ironic actually.

It would be very difficult in guessing someone's password, but I guess there's been an odd occasion which has occurred.

As someone mentioned - it's their fault if they have such a pathetic/easily guessed password. :wall:

libertherme.png

It says to keep your password in a save place. Such as with a parent or guardian. When I read the latter, I imagined a thirty something, balding, man with thick glasses sitting in his basement reading this. He then shouts "Ma! I need you to keep my Runescape password safe!" "Of course, sweety." she replies "How many fish sticks do you want for supper? Four or five?"

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

Seems extremely pointless to me. People don't guess other peoples passwords, they get it by means of a key logger or getting the person to trust them and telling the password.

I second that

And screen scrapers to get their PIN numbers, but I think those are less common.

It says to keep your password in a save place. Such as with a parent or guardian. When I read the latter, I imagined a thirty something, balding, man with thick glasses sitting in his basement reading this. He then shouts "Ma! I need you to keep my Runescape password safe!" "Of course, sweety." she replies "How many fish sticks do you want for supper? Four or five?"

Ahahahahahaha you get +9000 internetz!

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.