Mac Vs. PC...What should I do???

Rahila

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

So for my graduation present this year I'm getting a new laptop. I've always just had a standard pc computer but right now I'm thinking I want a macbook pro instead of a PC...

I know the basics about macs, but I know A LOT more about pc's...And i just want to hear your opinions on which is better.

What are the pros and cons of getting a mac over a pc?

I just came back to playing runescape as well so does rs work alright on macs as well? (what about rs hd?)

thanks for the help

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I own a Mac, and that's why I draw, design and all that all the time, a Mac works best for work, such as design, arts, and stuff like that.

But after all, it all comes down to taste, I prefer Mac much more over Windows. *Finds anti-flame shield*

So you could walk into a Apple store, pick on their Macs a bit, and try around, they are on, and open for a reason, so you can try out, before you decide what you want.

About the games on PC thingy, go for an Xbox, PS3 or whatever, much better than overheating your laptop. :P

PC = Games, twice the hardware for the same price

Mac = Entrance to 'mac geekdom', can laugh at inferior windows users.

The only two real differences. Take your pick.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Choose a Mac, because you can always install Windows XP/Vista (can buy CD or whatever with it in store) on it and switch operating systems whenever you want, win/win situation :thumbsup: You just use bootcamp (if I remember correctly) and click a button whenever you want to change between Mac OS X and whatever Windows system you choose.

Of course then the negative side is that a Mac generally costs more than a PC and you'd also have to buy the Windows operating system (but it doesn't cost that much).

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

I own a Mac, and that's why I draw, design and all that all the time, a Mac works best for work, such as design, arts, and stuff like that.

I've never understood this one. I run the entire Adobe CS4 Master Collection on Windows and it's no different than on the Macs I use in my design class at school.

Choose a Mac, because you can always install Windows XP/Vista (can buy CD or whatever with it in store) on it and switch operating systems whenever you want, win/win situation :thumbsup: You just use bootcamp (if I remember correctly) and click a button whenever you want to change between Mac OS X and whatever Windows system you choose.

Of course then the negative side is that a Mac generally costs more than a PC and you'd also have to buy the Windows operating system (but it doesn't cost that much).

You can run OS X on a traditional "PC" too, for a helluva lot cheaper.

What's a "PC"?

Agreed. Macs are PC's, same hardware architecture.

Macs = overpriced to hell, no customization, no tinkering, no upgrades, no games

Windows/"PC" = can do everything a mac can, endless possibility for upgrades, games, significantly cheaper than a Mac

[hide=I have visual aids too

Woah :o I never knew that, does it run well? I might do it since I have a PC.

It's illegal, but it works. Can't think of a single reason to do it, though.

I have visual aids too :P

Hilarious.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

As far as a laptop goes, I would really watch best buy's ads each week. Usually best buy is overpriced, but they can get some crazy good deals. I.E I got my current laptop (2.2ghz Core2duo, 9800M GTS 1GB, 4GB DDR3 ram, 320GB HD, 1920x1200 17" monitor) for around $1,000 at best buy last week. :thumbup:

I would go for a windows based machine because even the macbooks apple loves to try and overprice.

I'm going to go with a Mac, if you're buying a laptop. iMacs are due for an update this quarter anyways, and are way expensive. The laptops are decently priced however. I've used a Mac for a year or so previously, but went back to a PC, because I was doing a few games. But for all general purposes it was great and I never experienced any of the problems I've had with Windows before. It's all the little things, like not having to worry about drivers, plug and play, fantastic design, minimalistic, etc. And the design and structure of the MacBooks are superb, pretty much second to none. But all that ease of use is going to cost you. Also, if you're wanting a Mac, wait until Snow Leopard comes out later in Q1. Don't forget, you can run Windows on a Mac if you don't like it. People have mentioned that you can do the same on a PC, but it's currently breaking the law.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Law schmaw :P

Seriously though, keep in mind windows on a mac is going to run another $100. Also it depends if you're looking for a gaming notebook or just a normal one. Netbooks are pretty bad [wagon], for example, if you just want something small.

Law schmaw :P

Seriously though, keep in mind windows on a mac is going to run another $100. Also it depends if you're looking for a gaming notebook or just a normal one. Netbooks are pretty bad [wagon], for example, if you just want something small.

Netbooks are all right, but for another $100 you could just get a regular laptop. Eh, I guess if you traveled a lot it might come in handy.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Why would someone buy a MAc just to install Windows? You're paying around 2x the price of a windows machine that has better hardware and can play games. Don't buy that [cabbage] that "Mac's are better for design/video etc." as you could probably find the equivalent software at a non Mac ridiculous marked up price.

eggzs.png

Errdoth said everything that needed to be said. Windows machines can do anything a Mac can do and they're customizable to hell. Macs are outrageously priced and, imo, becoming outdated. Really the only reason people buy them is because they're more aesthetically pleasing than most Windows machines. So if you want something that'll sit there and look pretty; buy a Mac. If you want a computer that'll do... anything else; buy Windows.

I'd suggest you go for a Windows. They're generally considerably cheaper for the same stuff, and you're already used to the Windows interface and whatnot. Only reason I'm still on a Mac is the fact that that's what I've been using for the past... forever, and it's hard to change.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

1920x1200 17" monitor
1920x1200 on a 17" screen is ridiculous. Too many pixels on a screen that's too small for them all.

But if it works, it works, and that's how I'm going to answer. Go with what works best for you.

My lappys 1920X1200 17", and it works great.

DeviledEgg24.png