Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mac Vs. PC...What should I do???

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Guests cannot vote

Jernlov
[ Display Name History ]

Jernlov

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,171 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

1920x1200 17" monitor

1920x1200 on a 17" screen is ridiculous. Too many pixels on a screen that's too small for them all.

But if it works, it works, and that's how I'm going to answer. Go with what works best for you.

llcoolguy972
[ Display Name History ]

llcoolguy972

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,024 posts
Errdoth said everything that needed to be said. Windows machines can do anything a Mac can do and they're customizable to hell. Macs are outrageously priced and, imo, becoming outdated. Really the only reason people buy them is because they're more aesthetically pleasing than most Windows machines. So if you want something that'll sit there and look pretty; buy a Mac. If you want a computer that'll do... anything else; buy Windows.

Kaphias
[ Display Name History ]

Kaphias

FL380

• Members
  • 3,399 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Matt91493
I'd suggest you go for a Windows. They're generally considerably cheaper for the same stuff, and you're already used to the Windows interface and whatnot. Only reason I'm still on a Mac is the fact that that's what I've been using for the past... forever, and it's hard to change.
Posted Image
8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08
4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010
Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

compfreak847
[ Display Name History ]

compfreak847

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,686 posts

1920x1200 17" monitor

1920x1200 on a 17" screen is ridiculous. Too many pixels on a screen that's too small for them all.

But if it works, it works, and that's how I'm going to answer. Go with what works best for you.

My lappys 1920X1200 17", and it works great.
Posted Image
Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29
GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots
Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Yomyth105
[ Display Name History ]

Yomyth105

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,092 posts
  • RSN:Pyro Xeron
Get a pc that comes with windows vista :thumbsup: macs r way way way overpriced and tbh i wouldnt want a laptop to be so thin because they always break and stuff. pc is the sensible choice.

Sbrideau
[ Display Name History ]

Sbrideau

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  • Location:Saint-Georges, Québec, Canada (very close to the Maine border)
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Sbr
Even if they have both their pros and cons, I'd still go with a Windows machine. Hell, you can even get Windows 7 when it gets released! I'm currently using the Beta, and it works wonders compared to Windows XP or Vista.

Dracion1
[ Display Name History ]

Dracion1

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,499 posts
PC's will get you more bang for your buck hardware wise. You don't necessarily have to have windows either, something like Ubuntu is an excellent free alternative.
Posted Image

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

ThurinEthir
[ Display Name History ]

ThurinEthir

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 3,999 posts
  • RSN:Penguinduck3
My laptop (Approximately the same specs as Nadril's) was cheaper than a Macbook, and can do just about everything better. As far as I'm concerned.

On the other hand, Macs look cool.

...Yeah.
Posted Image
Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.
Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

Nadril
[ Display Name History ]

Nadril

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 23,966 posts

1920x1200 17" monitor

Yeah. It is smaller than I'm used to (although I'm going to use my 22" monitor as a main anyways once I get a DVI to HDMI adapter) but I will say that games look fantastic on a 17" @ 19200x1200. TF2, UT3 and stuff are all really crisp.

Princess Viola
[ Display Name History ]

Princess Viola

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,078 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN '07:Sailor Viola
If you ask me, PCs are better as more games are made for PCs, more file types are supported. (Yes, you can run the Windows only file types on Macs, but you have to download something) Plus, PCs have RIGHT-CLICKING. Although, you can buy a two button mouse for a Mac, they cost like $20.

But, Macs are shiny like a Polar White Nintendo DS Lite.

I guess that's all Macs got against PCs. They're shiny. So, shiny. My precious.

Plus, if you get a PC, you can be on TV.

Salad
[ Display Name History ]

Salad

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,137 posts
  • RSN:Salad170
  • Clan:*noname yet* pk clan
Pc all the way, way more softwares, cheaper and cooler.
Posted Image

compfreak847
[ Display Name History ]

compfreak847

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,686 posts

1920x1200 17" monitor

Yeah. It is smaller than I'm used to (although I'm going to use my 22" monitor as a main anyways once I get a DVI to HDMI adapter) but I will say that games look fantastic on a 17" @ 19200x1200. TF2, UT3 and stuff are all really crisp.

Yeah, I have a 22" monitor running 1600X1080, and it always seems to be kinda hazy compared to my laptop.

It was a godsend when HD came out, though. I kept having to drop the resolution to 960X600 so I could read the text when I wanted to play RS :|
Posted Image
Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29
GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots
Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Forerunner
[ Display Name History ]

Forerunner

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 537 posts
  • RSN:F0rerunn3r
PC. THERE'S NO QUESTION.
Only fear God,
Know the weapons of the weak,
The weakness of the hard.

Kaphias
[ Display Name History ]

Kaphias

FL380

• Members
  • 3,399 posts
  • RSN:Matt91493

Plus, PCs have RIGHT-CLICKING. Although, you can buy a two button mouse for a Mac, they cost like $20.

Incorrect... Mac computers have come with a 4 button mouse for at least a year.
Posted Image
8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08
4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010
Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

eggzs
[ Display Name History ]

eggzs

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 918 posts

Plus, PCs have RIGHT-CLICKING. Although, you can buy a two button mouse for a Mac, they cost like $20.

My 9 button G5 costs less than a wired mighty mouse, not to mention better ergonomics and adjustable weights.
Posted Image

Varda
[ Display Name History ]

Varda

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,534 posts

I own a Mac, and that's why I draw, design and all that all the time, a Mac works best for work, such as design, arts, and stuff like that.

I've never understood this one. I run the entire Adobe CS4 Master Collection on Windows and it's no different than on the Macs I use in my design class at school.

When you move a program to the dock, it doesn't use any RAM, and speak to any concept artist, and most will say that the Mac is best for arts.

But turning this thread, to an OS war is just silly, people use what they like, it's none of your business.

OS war is just silly too, only shows that there are no grown-ups. :P

My 9 button G5 costs less than a wired mighty mouse, not to mention better ergonomics and adjustable weights.

Want to see that one who still use Mighty Mouse. :P

compfreak847
[ Display Name History ]

compfreak847

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,686 posts

When you move a program to the dock, it doesn't use any RAM, and speak to any concept artist, and most will say that the Mac is best for arts.

But turning this thread, to an OS war is just silly, people use what they like, it's none of your business.

OS war is just silly too, only shows that there are no grown-ups. :P

I still don't get the whole 'artest\photographers use macs' thing... The entire CS4 suite works great on windows, and that pretty much covers everything.

http://img80.imagesh...ge=photoyj7.jpg

'nuff said
Posted Image

Nadril
[ Display Name History ]

Nadril

Post Junkie

• Members
  • 23,966 posts
My college still use the mighty mouse Sue, it [bleep]ing sucks haha.

And yeah I love my windows machine for graphical work. :thumbup:

Errdoth
[ Display Name History ]

Errdoth

Retired Website Crew

• Members
  • 2,713 posts

I've never heard that about the dock before o.o

I know several people who do design professionally, some use Macs, some use Windows, and tbh, "other people use them" is a stupid reason to use them yourself :/

And with your picture: being a bit of a motorhead, and a complete tinkerer when it comes to computers, I wouldn't want a car that "just worked." :lol:

One of the comments I remember from when that picture was posted on digg/reddit/one-of-those-sites went something like "Yes, but the mac car can only run on mac gas, can only drive on mac approved roads, and to change the oil you have to ship it off to a shop" :P

Honestly, they look like sex, but I'd never buy one solely because of the sheer price of the thing and it not being able to play games.

Rahila
[ Display Name History ]

Rahila

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 872 posts
  • RSN:rahila
well i still think i'm leaning towards a mac laptop, but i'm still undecided.

I've read everyones posts and it is pretty much what i expected to hear in terms of mac vs. pc (seeing as this is a gaming forum, i assumed most people would prefer macs)

but after all I am going into college and my work life is more important than my gaming life.

On a side note, i currently use limewire to get my music, so is limewire compatable with macs? or are there any other good free music download sources for macs?

thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users