Mac Vs. PC...What should I do???

Rahila

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

Even if they have both their pros and cons, I'd still go with a Windows machine. Hell, you can even get Windows 7 when it gets released! I'm currently using the Beta, and it works wonders compared to Windows XP or Vista.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PC's will get you more bang for your buck hardware wise. You don't necessarily have to have windows either, something like Ubuntu is an excellent free alternative.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

My laptop (Approximately the same specs as Nadril's) was cheaper than a Macbook, and can do just about everything better. As far as I'm concerned.

On the other hand, Macs look cool.

...Yeah.

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

1920x1200 17" monitor
1920x1200 on a 17" screen is ridiculous. Too many pixels on a screen that's too small for them all.

But if it works, it works, and that's how I'm going to answer. Go with what works best for you.

My lappys 1920X1200 17", and it works great.

Yeah. It is smaller than I'm used to (although I'm going to use my 22" monitor as a main anyways once I get a DVI to HDMI adapter) but I will say that games look fantastic on a 17" @ 19200x1200. TF2, UT3 and stuff are all really crisp.

If you ask me, PCs are better as more games are made for PCs, more file types are supported. (Yes, you can run the Windows only file types on Macs, but you have to download something) Plus, PCs have RIGHT-CLICKING. Although, you can buy a two button mouse for a Mac, they cost like $20.

But, Macs are shiny like a Polar White Nintendo DS Lite.

I guess that's all Macs got against PCs. They're shiny. So, shiny. My precious.

Plus, if you get a PC, you can be on TV.

1920x1200 17" monitor
1920x1200 on a 17" screen is ridiculous. Too many pixels on a screen that's too small for them all.

But if it works, it works, and that's how I'm going to answer. Go with what works best for you.

My lappys 1920X1200 17", and it works great.

Yeah. It is smaller than I'm used to (although I'm going to use my 22" monitor as a main anyways once I get a DVI to HDMI adapter) but I will say that games look fantastic on a 17" @ 19200x1200. TF2, UT3 and stuff are all really crisp.

Yeah, I have a 22" monitor running 1600X1080, and it always seems to be kinda hazy compared to my laptop.

It was a godsend when HD came out, though. I kept having to drop the resolution to 960X600 so I could read the text when I wanted to play RS :|

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Plus, PCs have RIGHT-CLICKING. Although, you can buy a two button mouse for a Mac, they cost like $20.

Incorrect... Mac computers have come with a 4 button mouse for at least a year.

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

Plus, PCs have RIGHT-CLICKING. Although, you can buy a two button mouse for a Mac, they cost like $20.

My 9 button G5 costs less than a wired mighty mouse, not to mention better ergonomics and adjustable weights.

eggzs.png

I own a Mac, and that's why I draw, design and all that all the time, a Mac works best for work, such as design, arts, and stuff like that.

I've never understood this one. I run the entire Adobe CS4 Master Collection on Windows and it's no different than on the Macs I use in my design class at school.

[hide=]Mac-PC.jpg[/hide]

When you move a program to the dock, it doesn't use any RAM, and speak to any concept artist, and most will say that the Mac is best for arts.

But turning this thread, to an OS war is just silly, people use what they like, it's none of your business.

OS war is just silly too, only shows that there are no grown-ups. :P

My 9 button G5 costs less than a wired mighty mouse, not to mention better ergonomics and adjustable weights.

Want to see that one who still use Mighty Mouse. :P

When you move a program to the dock, it doesn't use any RAM, and speak to any concept artist, and most will say that the Mac is best for arts.

But turning this thread, to an OS war is just silly, people use what they like, it's none of your business.

OS war is just silly too, only shows that there are no grown-ups. :P

I still don't get the whole 'artest\photographers use macs' thing... The entire CS4 suite works great on windows, and that pretty much covers everything.

my.php?image=photoyj7.jpg

'nuff said

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

I've never heard that about the dock before o.o

I know several people who do design professionally, some use Macs, some use Windows, and tbh, "other people use them" is a stupid reason to use them yourself :/

And with your picture: being a bit of a motorhead, and a complete tinkerer when it comes to computers, I wouldn't want a car that "just worked." :lol:

One of the comments I remember from when that picture was posted on digg/reddit/one-of-those-sites went something like "Yes, but the mac car can only run on mac gas, can only drive on mac approved roads, and to change the oil you have to ship it off to a shop" :P

Honestly, they look like sex, but I'd never buy one solely because of the sheer price of the thing and it not being able to play games.

well i still think i'm leaning towards a mac laptop, but i'm still undecided.

I've read everyones posts and it is pretty much what i expected to hear in terms of mac vs. pc (seeing as this is a gaming forum, i assumed most people would prefer macs)

but after all I am going into college and my work life is more important than my gaming life.

On a side note, i currently use limewire to get my music, so is limewire compatable with macs? or are there any other good free music download sources for macs?

thanks

I've read everyones posts and it is pretty much what i expected to hear in terms of mac vs. pc (seeing as this is a gaming forum, i assumed most people would prefer macs)

but after all I am going into college and my work life is more important than my gaming life.

On a side note, i currently use limewire to get my music, so is limewire compatable with macs? or are there any other good free music download sources for macs?

thanks

Windows isn't just for games. I would hardly consider Runescape a game anyway, all the games people are talking about are graphic intensive that are only made for Windows, like Crysis.

If work is important to you, look into what your company suggests for a laptop. Some companies have software that you need to use that is only pc compatible. Or the web based software requires activeX which is Internet Explorer only which requires Windows. Then if you got a Mac you would need to install Windows which would defeat the purpose of a Mac so you could run OSX.

goldenblade995.png

It's not really about the O/S, but about the hardware. Stop comparing O/S's, and look at the hardware you'll most likely encounter and need. You will adjust to the O/S or software that you get. Regardless of how easy it is to use or not. Windows and Mac's do not have any major software issues that will 'waste' your time more than 2 minutes of extra clicking for either O/S per day.

If you're using this laptop for university or whatever, and it'll be for research, writing essays, social networking and such, just get a netbook.

If you're wanting to do anything more than just simple programs and such, like gaming on the side or when you have free time, then it's obviously a laptop. But it will still be less expensive than mac hardware.

There is no reason to buy a mac unless you were raised with one, or can't figure out simple problems, and immediately condemn whatever is causing the problem.

Usability > reputation.

To be honest though just give us a more detailed list of what exactly you'll be doing on the computer, and anything you may find yourself doing for fun or extra in your 'spare' time. Then we'll be able to give you computers that can get the job done, with ease, and for cheapness.

thanks

I still don't see an argument.

A windows laptop will get you roughly twice the hardware as a mac for the same price, if your good at finding dell deals. Windows has more programs in EVERY area. Period. You'll run into hundreds of things you want to do but can't on a mac; the reverse is almost never true. Any time you have a problem, good luck getting help - you can't just ask your campus IT guy.

DeviledEgg24.png

thanks

Ok then, just ignore what has been posted in the last two pages. It has already been established that:

-Laptops with Windows (or "PC's") are cheaper than a Mac with equivalent Hardware

-" " " can have equivalent or even better Software

-There are more peripherals for " " "

-" " " have a much larger range of software

what more do you want?

eggzs.png

There's no point in switching to a Mac, if you are already on Windows. If you're switching because you like the theme and software/etc. of a Mac, then get a Widows to Mac Transformation Pack and try it out.

And Windows generally have better support, more programs and other flexibility that Mac's don't have.

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

I've never heard that about the dock before o.o

I know several people who do design professionally, some use Macs, some use Windows, and tbh, "other people use them" is a stupid reason to use them yourself :/

And with your picture: being a bit of a motorhead, and a complete tinkerer when it comes to computers, I wouldn't want a car that "just worked." :lol:

One of the comments I remember from when that picture was posted on digg/reddit/one-of-those-sites went something like "Yes, but the mac car can only run on mac gas, can only drive on mac approved roads, and to change the oil you have to ship it off to a shop" :P

Honestly, they look like sex, but I'd never buy one solely because of the sheer price of the thing and it not being able to play games.

Haha, good that picture gave someone some laughter. :D

But jeez, why is everyone taking games in the argument? I still wonder about that.

Want to hear a secret? I have stashed all of my Mac stuff with the MS X360 games. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

and tbh, "other people use them" is a stupid reason to use them yourself :/

True that, but now I was speaking on the professional level.

What I have said all the time, you use what you like.

One of the comments I remember from when that picture was posted on digg/reddit/one-of-those-sites went something like "Yes, but the mac car can only run on mac gas, can only drive on mac approved roads, and to change the oil you have to ship it off to a shop"

Heard it before, just in Windows style. Think it was the original. (Mum is still swearing over Vista after a half year. :roll: )

Was something about the Windows car only could use Microsoft, but on other roads too, just very, very slowly. The chairs would come in one size, and if you wanted more chairs, you'd have to upgrade to the newest OS and Service pack, then install the chairs etc etc, I can't remember it. :P

OP, just use what you feel comfortable with, don't just pick what you think you will like.

It's not really about the O/S, but about the hardware. Stop comparing O/S's, and look at the hardware you'll most likely encounter and need. You will adjust to the O/S or software that you get. Regardless of how easy it is to use or not. Windows and Mac's do not have any major software issues that will 'waste' your time more than 2 minutes of extra clicking for either O/S per day.

If you're using this laptop for university or whatever, and it'll be for research, writing essays, social networking and such, just get a netbook.

If you're wanting to do anything more than just simple programs and such, like gaming on the side or when you have free time, then it's obviously a laptop. But it will still be less expensive than mac hardware.

There is no reason to buy a mac unless you were raised with one, or can't figure out simple problems, and immediately condemn whatever is causing the problem.

Usability > reputation.

To be honest though just give us a more detailed list of what exactly you'll be doing on the computer, and anything you may find yourself doing for fun or extra in your 'spare' time. Then we'll be able to give you computers that can get the job done, with ease, and for cheapness.

A netbook? For uni? :? Sure the portability is nice, but HD space is going to become a problem. Also, if I was going to switch to a Mac, this would be another reason. I have yet to see any Windows equivalent. iWeb and iPhoto would be great for me. Here's some other benchmarks.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

As far as a laptop goes, I would really watch best buy's ads each week. Usually best buy is overpriced, but they can get some crazy good deals.

Oh right, I've been doing this lately for no good reason. But today, I found that there was an ad for a Macbook next to an ad for some HP laptop.

The Macbook was $1299, 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM (Upgradeable to 4 GB), a pretty good video card...

The HP was $1199, 6 GB RAM (Yeah, what? I sat there for like 5 minutes staring at it with my mouth open), an even better video card than the Mac, more HD space (Twice as much, I think), just simply better specs overall. And cheaper.

Well. :P

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.