A new approach to Alchemy

Itsjustagame

Buying items to Alch from the GE can sometimes take forever and be costly. Well now it can be completely avoided.

The following guide will benefit you ALOT more if you made your own natures from essence. It will benefit you even more if you mined said essence.

This is a very simple guide to training your magic using high level alchemy to get both experience and a reasonable profit by buying and alching ruby rings.

Everyone can benefit from this guide, but the following will get the most out of it:

1.) Those who are low on money and can't afford more expensive items to alch and not lose a lot of money

2.) Those who make their own nature runes and are looking for profit

3.) Those who are bored with the everyday GE buy and alch set up

4.) Those with a strange obsession for fairies and strange surroundings

Table of Contents

I. Equipment needed

II. Location/Directions

III. Mathematical Outlook

IV. Pros/Cons

V. Questions/Answers

WHAT DO I NEED TO WIN???

1.) Any amount of nature runes

2.) A minimum of 1012 gp

3.) A cut diamond

4.) A form of fire staff (lava, fire battle, fire staff)

[hide=]guide1ch1.png

w778.png[/hide]

WHERE DO I NEED TO GO TO ACHIEVE THIS???

- You will be heading to the Lost City of Zanaris and going to the trading area.

- You need to have completed to Lost City quest to access the trading area -

- There are a few ways to gain access to the Lost City:

Wielding a dramen/lunar staff and entering the shed in the Lumbridge Swamp

Wielding a dramen/lunar staff and accessing a fairy ring anywhere in Runescape. This will teleport you to the Lost City as it is the Hub location

NOTE: You need to have STARTED the quest: Fairy Tale II - Cure a Queen to use Fairy rings.

Once you are in the Lost City, you need to access the trading area.

[hide=]guide2ea7.png

w614.png[/hide]

The blue path is from the fairy ring entrance, and the red from the shed in Lumbridge Swamp

You'll need to pay a cut diamond to enter the trading area. Do so by clicking on one of the 2 doors, and go through the dialogue until you can pay.

WARNING - you will have to do this each time you enter, so don't leave unless you're certain you need to.

[hide=]guide3ue1.png

w753.png[/hide]

Once you're in, you need to find Irksol the NPC. He is wearing black robes, but has no visible body, much like the Otherwordly Beings.

[hide=]guide4ze9.png

w235.png[/hide]

[hide=]guide5bz8.png

w770.png[/hide]

You will buy ruby rings from him. He has an UNLIMITED supply of rings. He sells them for 1012 each, and the rings alch for 1215 each. The do NOT note, so you can only buy a maximum of 26 at a time, assuming all you have in your inventory is money and nature runes.

DO THE MATH

Let's say you mined all your essence, and you made your own nature runes.

Cost of essence - 0 gp

Cost of nature runes - 0 gp

Cost of ruby ring - 1012 gp

Total cost per Alch - 1012 gp

Money retrieved per Alch - 1215gp

Total profit per Alch - 203gp

Let's say you bought the essence, but crafted your own runes

Cost of essence - 139gp

Cost of nature runes - 0 gp

Total cost per Alch - 1151

Total profit per Alch - 64gp

Let's say you took the expensive route and bought the nature runes

Cost of essence - 0 gp

Cost of nature runes - 230gp

Total cost per Alch - 1242

Total loss per Alch - 27gp

Yes, you will lose money if you buy the nature runes. But let's compare the pros and cons to see if it's worth it.

PROS

- Unlimited supply of ruby rings

- No price fluctuations on the price of the rings

- Easy to profit if you wish to spend the time training your rune crafting

CONS

- You'll probably be all alone so it might get boring

- Making all your own nature runes is tiring

- You need a diamond to get in to the trading area

- Buying rings 26 at a time will lower your hourly xp by a relatively small amount

This is the best place to Alch in my opinion. No shortage of supplies. The profit is nice. You get to see the weird random events of the Lost City. Seems fun to me.

NOTE I do NOT know what the buying limit is for ruby rings. Since you can only buy 26 at a time, and then alch those before buying more, I don't see the limit being an issue.

Q/A

[hide=]Q.) Isn't the profit of this all from Runecrafting?

A.) In theory, yes. You will not make profit if you cannot/or don't want to make your own nature runes. Even when you make your own nature runes, you could theoretically sell them for 27 more gp than you get from alching the rings. If you buy the runes, you do lose money. You do however get 65 magic xp, and the majority of your money back. If you did make your own runes, you can consider the 203gp as straight profit, as you were going to use the rune anyway.

Q.) How is this any better than buying pouches/bows from the GE?

A.) Pouches and Bows and other popular alchable items are sometimes not available due to lack of sellers or competition from other buyers. Their prices fluctuate daily, so you can never be sure how much you will need to spend. While the rings do not note, there is an unlimited supply at a constant price.

Q.) How much experience will I be losing per hour by doing this method?

A.) I will update this when I do my tests.[/hide]

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wait, you profit if you buy essence? Cool!

Gonna try this, might make pure ess go up too.

yeah you profit if you buy the essence and make your own runes.

Now this doesn't incorporate the way you craft the runes, as there are many methods, but that's a whole different skill ::'

Nice tip. I wasn't aware of this method. However, it is misleading to say that you profit from alching if you crafted the natures; you actually are profiting from crafting the natures and then losing a little from alching, for an overall profit. The profit comes from the runecrafting, not the alching.

Nice tip. I wasn't aware of this method. However, it is misleading to say that you profit from alching if you crafted the natures; you actually are profiting from crafting the natures and then losing a little from alching, for an overall profit. The profit comes from the runecrafting, not the alching.

Well you could always sell the nature runes for 230 gp each and forget about the magic xp. That's profit from runecrafting.

If you're making nature runes for the purpose of magic xp, any profit you assume to get from selling the runes is erased. You're basically starting from 0 if you make your own runes for magic.

Therefore, any profit gained in the whole process of this technique is a profit from Alchemy.

Well you could always sell the nature runes for 230 gp each and forget about the magic xp. That's profit from runecrafting.

If you're making nature runes for the purpose of magic xp, any profit you assume to get from selling the runes is erased. You're basically starting from 0 if you make your own runes for magic.

Therefore, any profit gained in the whole process of this technique is a profit from Alchemy.

Technically, you're still profting from Runecrafting. I was about to point this out, too. :XD:

You're making Natures to use for Alchemy, sure, but it's still coming from Runecrafting, which is later lost when alching. Trivial stuff, but it's a fact.

PROS

- Unlimited supply of ruby rings -- Pretty irrelevant with the Grand exchange.

- No price fluctuations on the price of the rings -- Nature prices fluctuate, and there are more than enough items on the Grand exchange even if one does fluctuate.

- Easy to profit if you wish to spend the time training your rune crafting -- As said above, you're making money from Runecrafting.

CONS

- You'll probably be all alone so it might get boring

- Making all your own nature runes is tiring -- Again, this doesn't really matter. And hell, why is this a con? This applies to regular alching, too.

- You need a diamond to get in to the trading area

The value of your technique depends on how much buying from the shop alters yoru xp.

No rating as of yet. The layout is fine though.

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

Yes I understand the profit is from 'runecrafting.'

That's why at the very beginning I mentioned that this will benefit you a lot more if you gather your own supplies.

However, my view on that subject is this:

If you're making the runes for magic use, you understand that you won't be making profit off your runecrafting work. Whenever I make runes, I start my profit/loss out at 0, because I didn't intend on selling them.

In theory you are right, you do lose about 27gp each alch by doing the spell instead of selling the runes. You do, however, get 65 magic xp. Selling the runes for the full 230 gp doesn't yield any benefit.

Most people alch items they can get quickly, and do not care about price/loss. They buy the runes, buy the items, and watch their money dwindle. Either way, you're losing 27gp.

- If you buy the runes, you lose 27gp on top of the 230gp you spent per rune.

- If you craft your runes, you lose 27gp by only getting 203gp per spell

As for time lost buying the rings...He has a "buy x" option, and doesn't really wander that far. However I will sign on later and do a few trial runs of alching the rings vs. alching noted items such as pouches to see how many get done in a set time period.

About the cabbages, could you put the sacks in a familiar? \' Nice guide, wonder if you could do something similar at other locations... Would buying the rings slow you down a lot though in magic xp?

Familiars DO work, I just tried it.

It takes some time to empty all your cabbage sacks, but the profit from doing little to no work is amazing.

Little math here:

The cheapest way is to buy the cabbage and sacks separately.

Price of Sack with 10 cabbage - 129 gp from the GE

Price of Diamond - 2951 gp from GE

Now Assuming you make your own familiar pouches and already had them made and in your bank.

I only see this worth doing with a bird or turtle familiar. I wont even do the Yak because if you have summoning that high, you probably don't even care for this :P

Terror Bird - 12 sacks of cabbage - 1548gp + 2951 diamond = 4499

12 sacks of cabbage sell for - 12,000 gp to fairy.

Profit - 7501 gp

Turtle - 18 sacks of Cabbage - 2322 gp + 2951 = 5273

18k - 5273 = 12,727 gp profit

Now let's do if you buy the cabbage and sacks separately

Terror Bird - 120 cabbage - 6gp ea x 120 = 720gp

12 sacks - 69gp ea from GE.....OR 1 GP EA FROM FARMING SHOPS. - 12gp we'll say as buying from GE is the same as above method

diamond - 2951gp

total price - 3683

Total profit - 8,317 gp

Turtle - 180 cabbage - 6gp ea x 180 = 1080 gp = 18gp for sacks = 1098

diamond - 2951

total - 4049

profit - 13,951gp

you really only need 12 or 18 sacks because they have a 1 click fill option, and a 1 click empty option. The time it takes to empty/fill the sacks, and running to the bank might make this a bit worthless though.

Cabbage ftw? maybe not.

Wait, you profit if you buy essence? Cool!

Gonna try this, might make pure ess go up too.

If you craft your own nats you'd make a profit with conventional alching methods unless you're alching the wrong item (*cough* mage longbows *cough*). Green d'hide bodies and adamant platebodies are good alchables, though they lose a lot more than 26gp (something like 40-50 last I checked).

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

i don't think you need to finish fairy tale part 2 for the rings :-k

You do, it's one of the rewards

You do not. You only have to get to the part where you use the fairy rings to find the queen fairy. I know this for a fact because I only recently finished the quest, and had been using rings for a long time.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

i don't think you need to finish fairy tale part 2 for the rings :-k

You do, it's one of the rewards

You do not. You only have to get to the part where you use the fairy rings to find the queen fairy. I know this for a fact because I only recently finished the quest, and had been using rings for a long time.

ahh yea I just re-read the quest page.

I'll edit it.

Thanks

That's why at the very beginning I mentioned that this will benefit you a lot more if you gather your own supplies.

If you're making the runes for magic use, you understand that you won't be making profit off your runecrafting work. Whenever I make runes, I start my profit/loss out at 0, because I didn't intend on selling them.

In theory you are right, you do lose about 27gp each alch by doing the spell instead of selling the runes. You do, however, get 65 magic xp. Selling the runes for the full 230 gp doesn't yield any benefit.

Most people alch items they can get quickly, and do not care about price/loss. They buy the runes, buy the items, and watch their money dwindle. Either way, you're losing 27gp.

As for time lost buying the rings...He has a "buy x" option, and doesn't really wander that far. However I will sign on later and do a few trial runs of alching the rings vs. alching noted items such as pouches to see how many get done in a set time period.

I have an even better idea to alch that makes tONS of money! my friend tried it and he said it did! What u do is u go to the bandos general place then u kill him until he drops 'bandos hilt' then u alch the bandos hilt for 50,000 coins!!!! thst right, 50000 of them! all from 1 alch!!! and ppl say magic is expensive rofl, u can earn over 10,000,000,000 gp from 99

rate plz

On topic: Nice guide, but air\water battlestaffs lose 41 GP alch, only 14k more per hour. Assuming this method loses 15% XP per hour due to the buying and messed up invo (no mousekeyes here), your losing 15% of your time to save 14k, meaning anyone who can earn more then 93k per hour should alch battlestaffs. And even a level 70 can make much more then that at a place like green dragons ;)

Nice guide, a little too wordy for a simple idea, but it's kind of worthless (sorry).

6/10

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

I have an even better idea to alch that makes tONS of money! my friend tried it and he said it did! What u do is u go to the bandos general place then u kill him until he drops 'bandos hilt' then u alch the bandos hilt for 50,000 coins!!!! thst right, 50000 of them! all from 1 alch!!! and ppl say magic is expensive rofl, u can earn over 10,000,000,000 gp from 99

rate plz

On topic: Nice guide, but air\water battlestaffs lose 41 GP alch, only 14k more per hour. Assuming this method loses 15% XP per hour due to the buying and messed up invo (no mousekeyes here), your losing 15% of your time to save 14k, meaning anyone who can earn more then 93k per hour should alch battlestaffs. And even a level 70 can make much more then that at a place like green dragons ;)

Nice guide, a little too wordy for a simple idea, but it's kind of worthless (sorry).

6/10

how do battlestaffs work? Are they always in stock, or do you have to buy them from GE?

^I believe he's talking about the GE. Zaff does sell a limited number of them for a reduced price, and if you alch those it's a profit (though technically you still lose money since you could have sold them).

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

how do battlestaffs work? Are they always in stock, or do you have to buy them from GE?

They can be bought on the GE. Air battlestaves I think are the cheapest ones to alch, last time I checked anyway.

They can be bought on the GE. Air battlestaves I think are the cheapest ones to alch, last time I checked anyway.

and are they always readily available?

Like could I go buy as many as I could with the trade limit at any time?

I don't know what the trade limit, but air, earth, water, and fire battlestaves all cost about the same and alch for the same, and there's usually a supply from the people who make them for crafting experience. So even if it turns out you can only buy them 100 at a time ( I woudn't know) you could put in 4 offers at once...

you my friend is a genius!

10/10 i've been trying to find a shop where this could be done but never thought of the fairy shop gj!

Played since February 2001

alexrn2vh6.jpg

13th to 30 hunting

firemaking cape achieved 6th August 2008_-_-_-_Quest cape achieved 19th August 2009

In reply to your query about Air / Water Battlestaves availability within the Grand Exchange, the last time I checked, a few days ago, I could only buy a limited number of them. (Availability wise).

So, they may theoretically be one of the best alchs, but they aren't available in a short time span so can make it rather difficult.