Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Windows 7 beta

• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

Poll: Poll (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Guests cannot vote

AndyPandy
[ Display Name History ]

AndyPandy

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,932 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Booyo5

How do I use it, while keeping my normal vista OS safe and working, can I dual boot?

Yes, just partion your HD.

Sorry for being a lil stupid, but how?

Normally I'm pretty good with computers, though never dual booted before. It's a learning experience for me.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,
Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,
Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,
Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,
Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,
Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,
And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,
Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,
And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,
After all, you were put on the earth to do this,
So shine your light so bright that all can see,
Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

Georgelemmons
[ Display Name History ]

Georgelemmons

El Novato

• Members
  • 2,705 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:superHYTnova
XP

Vista

Try that :P
Posted Image
Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

Sbrideau
[ Display Name History ]

Sbrideau

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  • Location:Saint-Georges, Québec, Canada (very close to the Maine border)
  • RSN:Sbr

I got the beta and LOVE it. I have tried Vista and couldn't stand it, but all the things that annoyed me about Vista are fixed in Windows 7 (unless Microsoft screw it up, don't rule it out :lol: ) It also runs very fast on my computer.

And ya, you need to download it via Internet Explorer. Mozilla won't work :wall:

From what I've heard, some people have found the actual download link, and then you can download it from any browser...

I have not tried this, though.

I did, and downloaded it when other people were crying because the link wasn't on the windows 7 page lol. I downloaded it from msdn. The links are gone now though.

Laura
[ Display Name History ]

Laura

Cor Aut Mors

• Members
  • 3,425 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None

How do I use it, while keeping my normal vista OS safe and working, can I dual boot?

Yes, just partion your HD.

Sorry for being a lil stupid, but how?

Normally I'm pretty good with computers, though never dual booted before. It's a learning experience for me.

Alright, open up Control Panel and then Administrative Tools and then computer Management. On the list to the left, you'll see a subsection called "Storage" click on that and then Disk Management. More than likely you'll either have two or one disk partions already there. So, right click on the larger partion (OS), it might be labeld as C: and hit "shrink volume." A query will come up, and tell you how much space you can partion. You're going to need at least 30GB of space, so if you can't shrink it by that much, don't try to install W7. Once you shrink it, another partion will be labeled "unallocated," right click on that partion and hit "New Simple Volume." Just make sure you're formating the maximum space on that partion, which should be there by default. And make sure it's NTFS(for W7). You've now partioned and formated a separate drive in Windows. Now all you have to do is insert the Windows 7 CD and click on the new drive you just made. MAKE SURE IT'S THE DRIVE YOU JUST MADE, OR YOU WILL ERASE OR UPGRADE YOUR CURRENT VERSION OF WINDOWS.

(Oh and my partion was "Free Space" not "Unallocated" because I just deleted the existing format, so don't worry if yours doesn't look exactly like that.
Posted Image

Makoto_the_Phoenix
[ Display Name History ]

Makoto_the_Phoenix

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,997 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Makoto D
I found formatting my hard disk to be complicated and tedious, so I put it in a Virtual Machine instead. I took a slight hit from performance (one core instead of two), but it ran kinda smooth.

Some things never change...

I'm not sure what's fundamentally changed. It reminds me of Vista with less bloat to it. Great, but not much of an improvement in my eyes. My only hope is that when the real deal comes out, you're never logged in as the Administrator account, and programs don't need it. Bad things happen when you're made the admin...

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

ClareJonsson
[ Display Name History ]

ClareJonsson

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 761 posts

My only hope is that when the real deal comes out, you're never logged in as the Administrator account, and programs don't need it. Bad things happen when you're made the admin...

Actually if you're that paranoid you can easily create a standard user account as your working account, but being logged in as an Admin is fine as UAC takes care of you, unless you're daft enough to turn UAC off that is :D

BloodAngel
[ Display Name History ]

BloodAngel

Retired Website Crew

• Website Crew
  • 3,645 posts
  • RSN:Severa

I got the beta and LOVE it. I have tried Vista and couldn't stand it, but all the things that annoyed me about Vista are fixed in Windows 7 (unless Microsoft screw it up, don't rule it out :lol: ) It also runs very fast on my computer.

And ya, you need to download it via Internet Explorer. Mozilla won't work :wall:

From what I've heard, some people have found the actual download link, and then you can download it from any browser...

I have not tried this, though.

I managed to download it fine in Safari so I guess it's possible in Firefox too.

I find it runs pretty quick, faster than any experience I had on Vista. It wont convert me back to Windows though.

SLwQsg1.png

"Unfortunately, the real world isn't the same as a fairy tale."

ClareJonsson
[ Display Name History ]

ClareJonsson

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 761 posts
Well, BioShock works on it with full DX10 texture support, I'm running it with all options at max and at a Resolution of 1440x900 and it's very very smooth :)

dsavi
[ Display Name History ]

dsavi

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,868 posts
Hmm I just had a thought. Will this thing ever self-destruct? It's reasonably stable right now, and will be even more stable in the future, if I download a copy I could use it to run any Windows stuff I need while I'm on linux without having to buy anything.

C2b6gs7.png

ClareJonsson
[ Display Name History ]

ClareJonsson

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 761 posts
I think the licence will last about 7 months.

More news, Fable works on Windows 7, I never got Fable to run on Vista.

Furah
[ Display Name History ]

Furah

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,081 posts
  • RSN:Emp Midget
  • Clan:Reddit

Does it seemlessly upgrade from Vista? I don't have any mediums to do a backup to, except for the 10GB partition that Dell does, but that is mostly used up.

EDIT: Just remembered that I have a flash disk somewhere with most of my music on, I'll just back up the rest when I find it, and would it be possible to get my saved passwords from ff and copy it to my phone just in case?

Steam | PM me for BBM PIN

Nine naked men is a technological achievement. Quote of 2013.

PCGamingWiki - Let's fix PC gaming!

Sbrideau
[ Display Name History ]

Sbrideau

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,387 posts
  • Location:Saint-Georges, Québec, Canada (very close to the Maine border)
  • RSN:Sbr

Does it seemlessly upgrade from Vista? I don't have any mediums to do a backup to, except for the 10GB partition that Dell does, but that is mostly used up.

EDIT: Just remembered that I have a flash disk somewhere with most of my music on, I'll just back up the rest when I find it, and would it be possible to get my saved passwords from ff and copy it to my phone just in case?

Well, nowadays, buying a hard drive and a case to make it an external hard drive doesn't cost much, you should try :). Oh, and don't upgrade, make a partition and install it in dual boot with you Vista.

thrash-boy
[ Display Name History ]

thrash-boy

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 580 posts

install it on a new partion

if you wish to backup all your firefox details theres a very useful tool ive used many times:

MozBackup

it backs ups your entire firefox profile (all bookmarks, cookies, extensions, saved passwords, browsing history, absolutely everything). its extremely easy to use, takes about 30 seconds to make a backup, and then you can take that backup to any computer with firefox, and it takes about 30 seconds to restore a backup. then its just like you were still using the first computer, you would never know you have moved all your data across.

Furah
[ Display Name History ]

Furah

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,081 posts

install it on a new partion

if you wish to backup all your firefox details theres a very useful tool ive used many times:

MozBackup

it backs ups your entire firefox profile (all bookmarks, cookies, extensions, saved passwords, browsing history, absolutely everything). its extremely easy to use, takes about 30 seconds to make a backup, and then you can take that backup to any computer with firefox, and it takes about 30 seconds to restore a backup. then its just like you were still using the first computer, you would never know you have moved all your data across.

Well, from what I have heard about Windows 7, I give up on Vista (BSoD in sleep mode ftl) besides once I get my desktop I am gonna turn this laptop into a Ubuntu laptop (used to dual-boot)

ClareJonsson
[ Display Name History ]

ClareJonsson

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 761 posts

Well, from what I have heard about Windows 7, I give up on Vista (BSoD in sleep mode ftl)

Don't compare Vista and Windows 7 to each other, they may look similar, but they are very different beasts under the hood.

eggzs
[ Display Name History ]

eggzs

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 918 posts
I'm not too keen on the massive taskbar but if I decide to buy the OEM version of 7 when ir is released, can I just reformat my hard-drive and install 7 or do I need a new component (ie. hard drive).
Posted Image

blade995
[ Display Name History ]

blade995

Ghost Cloak

• Members
  • 1,897 posts

I'm not too keen on the massive taskbar but if I decide to buy the OEM version of 7 when ir is released, can I just reformat my hard-drive and install 7 or do I need a new component (ie. hard drive).

You can just reformat. That is if your computer has the minimum requirements. If your running Vista right now, your computer will run Windows 7.
Posted Image

Furah
[ Display Name History ]

Furah

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,081 posts

Well, from what I have heard about Windows 7, I give up on Vista (BSoD in sleep mode ftl)

Don't compare Vista and Windows 7 to each other, they may look similar, but they are very different beasts under the hood.

I was saying that from what I've heard, not seen, it is better then Vista, which I am getting sick of.

dsavi
[ Display Name History ]

dsavi

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 6,868 posts
I've never understood the Vista hate to be honest. Other than the fact that it comes in 8 or so different versions, it works great for me.

C2b6gs7.png

Furah
[ Display Name History ]

Furah

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,081 posts

I've never understood the Vista hate to be honest. Other than the fact that it comes in 8 or so different versions, it works great for me.

I used to love Vista, but now it is becoming annoying, plus it keeps BSoD in sleep mode for some reason.

Also with adding a partion, I came accross a problem with shrinking my OS (C:) drive, and also are Recovery (D:) and the two blank partitions needed?

image is xbox hueg!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users