Poll  

1. 1. Poll

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little bump.

"Microsoft says that Windows 7 Release Candidate 1 will get a public release on 5 May 2009.

Microsoft has revealed that the first release candidate of Windows 7 will have a much longer lifespan than previous release candidates, and wont expire for over a year after its release. PC World reports that that Windows 7 RC1 wont expire until 1 June 2010, which will effectively give you 13 months to try out the OS for free."

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/bits/2009/ ... released/1

---

Pretty nice of them i think. I only have one harddrive which means i'd have to safety-copy everything i got on my XP... (and no, can't dual boot, 40gb left). Maybe i'll try it out in a month or two.

Just thought i'd let ya'll know.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

A little bump.

"Microsoft says that Windows 7 Release Candidate 1 will get a public release on 5 May 2009.

Microsoft has revealed that the first release candidate of Windows 7 will have a much longer lifespan than previous release candidates, and wont expire for over a year after its release. PC World reports that that Windows 7 RC1 wont expire until 1 June 2010, which will effectively give you 13 months to try out the OS for free."

---

Pretty nice of them i think. I only have one harddrive which means i'd have to safety-copy everything i got on my XP... (and no, can't dual boot, 40gb left). Maybe i'll try it out in a month or two.

Does that mean I could just get the Windows 7 RC1 and use that instead of Vista on my new computer? By that I mean, download it on this computer, put it on a disk, and install it on my new computer, before I have installed Windows Vista on it (which I of course won't install then).

2j3qh46.jpg

A little bump.

---

Does that mean I could just get the Windows 7 RC1 and use that instead of Vista on my new computer? By that I mean, download it on this computer, put it on a disk, and install it on my new computer, before I have installed Windows Vista on it (which I of course won't install then).

Yep.

It is very stable as it is a release-candidate, but you still have have possibility of blue-screen/crashes etc. But most who tried the beta seem to have found it really stable and not so many problems.

I think Sbrideau (sp?) tried the beta, so you could probably check with him for more info. I haven't tried Win7.

If you already have a valid Vista lisence, there's been talks of that you could get free upgrade to Win7 or reduced price.

To dual boot you have to shrink the current partition and make a new partition with the space that has been made. Unfortunately, sometimes, it can screw up your windows. If you don't know how to dual boot, in your place I would use a virtualization software such as Virtual box to run the OS in it and try it that way ;).

To dual boot you have to shrink the current partition and make a new partition with the space that has been made. Unfortunately, sometimes, it can screw up your windows.
Just saying that this is pretty rare. I've resized my Windows partition multiple times, and not once have I had it fail on me. If you use something like GParted, you can't really go wrong.

I'm pretty f*ckin' stoked for this RC. It's about time I upgraded from XP too. I can't simply pass up a year's free Windows, either. It's almost too good to be true.

Here's to the RC being stable and a pleasure to use!

To dual boot you have to shrink the current partition and make a new partition with the space that has been made. Unfortunately, sometimes, it can screw up your windows.
Just saying that this is pretty rare. I've resized my Windows partition multiple times, and not once have I had it fail on me. If you use something like GParted, you can't really go wrong.

I'm pretty f*ckin' stoked for this RC. It's about time I upgraded from XP too. I can't simply pass up a year's free Windows, either. It's almost too good to be true.

Here's to the RC being stable and a pleasure to use!

I scrapped a Windows once with GParted, but that's the partitionner I use everytime, it's a very good one.

Quick question - Is it worth me replacing my XP with Win7 RC1 or dual-booting? I've got a sizeable hard-drive but have never run 2 operating systems simultaneously before. Any info would be great! ::'

How much RAM do you have?

And you hate Vista, why would you like Windows 7? Vista is currently better than 7, by speed and other things, but on the other side, it's true that 7 is still a beta.

I have 4GB of RAM, I do not hate Vista at all. I think it's very user-friendly, simple and stylish however, I had lots of problems. Windows 7 is supposed to be a combination of the best from XP and Vista, so I think i'll like it.

I think I'll partition my internal HD to make space for it. How much do you recommend I partition for Win7?

I have 4GB of RAM, I do not hate Vista at all. I think it's very user-friendly, simple and stylish however, I had lots of problems. Windows 7 is supposed to be a combination of the best from XP and Vista, so I think i'll like it.

I think I'll partition my internal HD to make space for it. How much do you recommend I partition for Win7?

That really depends on what your going to put on win7. I would partition about 32gb, it'll give you about 16gb of free space if your running the 32bit version.

tFtfA.jpg

My computer's only got 512 MB of RAM and has only run XP, never vista. Would it be able to handle Windows 7?

Probably, but their minimum requirement for Win7 32bit is 1gb. Ram is so cheap now anyways, 1gb wouldn't cost you much.

I'm downloading Windows 7 RC1 :D. I don't know wether I'll only run this through Vbox this time though, or if I'll run this in dual boot.

Downloading as I post this. Currently running Windows 7 32bit build 7000. Smoothest OS I've used in years.
Well, currently on 7100. It's so smooth and intuitive.

Only problem is Aero seems to die if I switch my monitor off / leave my PC idling. Whether that's intentional or not, I don't know. (Seeing as it returned when I moved my mouse)

^ Do like me and get two keys. (I plan a dual boot/virtual machine) Just delete all cookies from Microsoft in between and use two different emails. ;)

Well, like I said, I don't know if I'll dual boot, since even if I have a lot of free hard drive space, On my previous installation I didn't go on the Windows 7 much, I stayed on Vista. That's the reason I may just run it on VBox this time, but still, it's going to be the 64bit version, not the 32.

Still quite annoying, 2 hours up? Shut down time. :wall:

my friend installed it last night. i was over his house for several hours.

(being a die-hard xp guy)

i was very, very impressed with it.

very fast, little clutter, still customizable, very compatible. i think its time for me to upgrade

reading the other posts- i beleive my friend was dual booting.. i might do the same once i get some more ram.

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

Vista x64 is much faster than Windows 7 Beta x64 for me. I will see if it's still the case with Windows 7 RC - I will probably dual boot.

Just saying, no need to quote me on that.