Windows 7 beta

stevepole

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

Any chance someone could run me through using Gparted-live-0.4.4-1?

I've just downloaded it, have about 70-80GB free (sould like to partition 40 to install Win7) and have no idea what to do. I'm using XPSP3 btw. Thanks!! ::'

EDIT: Ohhhhh, it's an ISO, ie, used like a boot-disk.

Makes sense now, job for the weekend I think :D

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any chance someone could run me through using Gparted-live-0.4.4-1?

I've just downloaded it, have about 70-80GB free (sould like to partition 40 to install Win7) and have no idea what to do. I'm using XPSP3 btw. Thanks!! ::'

EDIT: Ohhhhh, it's an ISO, ie, used like a boot-disk.

Makes sense now, job for the weekend I think :D

Yeah. GParted is as simple as boot up, resize, reboot, install.

And it will simply partition 40GB of my existing 160GB C drive enabling me to install another OS?

Also, how do I dual boot?

Thanks btw! :)

Yup downloaded the RC last night. So far so good. I have only experienced a few bugs within IE, but I suppose that is to be expected. However, my disk read/ write decreased largely versus OS X and Linux.

And it will simply partition 40GB of my existing 160GB C drive enabling me to install another OS?

How do I use it, while keeping my normal vista OS safe and working, can I dual boot?
Yes, just partion your HD.

Sorry for being a lil stupid, but how?

Normally I'm pretty good with computers, though never dual booted before. It's a learning experience for me.

Alright, open up Control Panel and then Administrative Tools and then computer Management. On the list to the left, you'll see a subsection called "Storage" click on that and then Disk Management. More than likely you'll either have two or one disk partions already there. So, right click on the larger partion (OS), it might be labeld as C: and hit "shrink volume." A query will come up, and tell you how much space you can partion. You're going to need at least 30GB of space, so if you can't shrink it by that much, don't try to install W7. Once you shrink it, another partion will be labeled "unallocated," right click on that partion and hit "New Simple Volume." Just make sure you're formating the maximum space on that partion, which should be there by default. And make sure it's NTFS(for W7). You've now partioned and formated a separate drive in Windows. Now all you have to do is insert the Windows 7 CD and click on the new drive you just made. MAKE SURE IT'S THE DRIVE YOU JUST MADE, OR YOU WILL ERASE OR UPGRADE YOUR CURRENT VERSION OF WINDOWS.

[hide=]compmanagmentld9.png

compmanagment2tv0.png[/hide]

(Oh and my partion was "Free Space" not "Unallocated" because I just deleted the existing format, so don't worry if yours doesn't look exactly like that.

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Well, you'll get an option to shrink your current partition in GParted. After shrinking, format the unallocated space to NTFS, and when you install Windows 7, select the newly-created partition to install into.

Simple as that. (:

Also, GParted is far less cumbersome than using computer management in my experience.

Ok thanks, but what about when I turn my PC on, do I get given the option to load up XP or Win7?
Indeed you do. Windows installs its own bootloader and you're given a choice of "Earlier Version of Windows" or "Windows 7".

Just be forewarned - you will most likely encounter Chkdsk when you boot into XP after resizing. Don't panic; just let it run its cause and you'll be using XP again after a reboot.

It is also good to make sure XP works good after resizing before installing the new OS on the new Partition, so if it doesn'T work, you know you shrinked it too much.

Alright thanks, decided to DL the x64 version before going ahead with this anyway. Might aswell since I've got a fairly high-spec PC.

Microsoft download manager is great, much better than using a program like µtorrent! :D

For the beta it wasn't even compatible with Firefox lol. Nice to see this time they used a Java one.

I was using opera and got all scared when it wasn't working. Switched to Firefox and voila. :lol: The beta was fun to dual boot, can't wait to see what the rc is like.

sigh.png

For the beta it wasn't even compatible with Firefox lol. Nice to see this time they used a Java one.

I used FF on the beta... Was one of the first things I installed actually.

He was talking about the download manager that MS used for the beta, heh.

Oh. :P

"Preparing your desktop..." This is taking forever. Just show me the stupid OS. Ubuntu would finish in less than an hour virtualized.

It did all that in a few minutes for me. That said, I do have a relatively powerful processor and related stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Windows 7 official release date confirmed, 22nd october!

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/window ... -7-is.aspx

There's no official prices yet tho, only rumours. But shouldn't take long before we get that too.

Home Premium is the one i'll buy, since my cpu (e4500) lacks support of virtualization, and i don't plan to buy a new cpu for a while. Hopefully i can save up some money during the summer so i'll get it early, been on XP for a few years now lol.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

I love the xp virtual thing.....

kickass! :thumbsup:

I've never understood people who still like XP.

Because they're more comfortable with it? Not to be rude, but what's not to get?

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Because they're more comfortable with it? Not to be rude, but what's not to get?

I can certainly agree about being comfortable with, and liking XP. dsavi is one of the people who tried to convince me Vista is a wonderful operating system, and that my PC wasn't powerful enough to run it. :lol:

I think there's a certain ignorance around what people want from an OS, and what is really important. :|

Windows 7 official release date confirmed, 22nd october!

http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/window ... -7-is.aspx

There's no official prices yet tho, only rumours. But shouldn't take long before we get that too.

Home Premium is the one i'll buy, since my cpu (e4500) lacks support of virtualization, and i don't plan to buy a new cpu for a while. Hopefully i can save up some money during the summer so i'll get it early, been on XP for a few years now lol.

FINALLY! My computer got messed up and I've been using my old Win 98 700 mhz 256 mb ram computer waiting for 7 to come out to buy a new laptop.

Trapt45.png

I can certainly agree about being comfortable with, and liking XP. dsavi is one of the people who tried to convince me Vista is a wonderful operating system, and that my PC wasn't powerful enough to run it. :lol:

I think there's a certain ignorance around what people want from an OS, and what is really important. :|

I don't think that Vista is a "Wonderful Operating System", I'm just saying it's better than XP.

C2b6gs7.png