Windows 7 beta

stevepole

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

Is that a fact? No.

In your opinion Vista is better than XP, in others' opinion XP is better than Vista.

Personal preference. They don't ask you to understand it or even consider it.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the xp virtual thing.....

p><p>I

Because they're more comfortable with it? Not to be rude, but what's not to get?

I can certainly agree about being comfortable with, and liking XP. dsavi is one of the people who tried to convince me Vista is a wonderful operating system, and that my PC wasn't powerful enough to run it. :lol:

I think there's a certain ignorance around what people want from an OS, and what is really important. :|

XP and even Vista can be installed with really slow computers, believe it or not! :P So I'm pretty sure your computer would run Vista :)

Here's some screenies:

[hide=Slow Windows computers]XP running on a really underclocked Pentium 1, not mine: (note: it's actually 8 MHz, XP lies a bit)

http://www.winhistory.de/more/386/Screenshot8mhz_system.gif' alt='Screenshot8mhz_system.gif'>

Boot time is 30 mins and the CPU usage is 100% with no apps open, now that's slow! This is the slowest Windows computer in the world as far as I know.

And here's a slow Vista, again, not mine:

90vista_2.jpg

The processor is actually 90 MHz, Vista has some problems with it... Desktop uses 100% of resources here too. Crazy RAM usage compared to XP.

And here's my experiment with a unofficial, "lite" version of Windows XP:

WindowsXPFTW.png

Now this version of Windows XP is so little that it boots in about 2-3 mins even with just 6 MHz of processing power (the average for MS-DOS, BTW :P)! But it has no wallpaper, no themes except Windows Classic, only a few Windows apps (Notepad, Paint, Calculator etc.), no support for multiple accounts, no IE, Outlook Express or Windows Media Player (I don't care about them anyway). CPU usage without programs: 42%! (Nice number, isn't it?) It can actually run some very small games, however Notepad lags. Great version of Windows XP :D[/hide]

I wonder what's the absolute minimum power for Windows 7?

BTW, XP is the best Windows so far I think ;)