Don't buy a Dell! (And I need help)

Laura

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry, there's a reason they're the highest rated PC manufacture ;)

No they're not.

*ahem http://www.theacsi.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=149&Itemid=157&c=Dell+Inc.

I can say that HP might not have good customer service but they are killing dell in the market.

Ehh, 3% isn't a total "kiling":

http://media.arstechnica.com/news.media/1q08world-1.png

Still, dell is ranked higher. HP is (sometimes) better for people who want to buy a square box that sits in a corner, not pick every component that goes into it.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Since I can't afford the aluminum unibody Macs, I was looking at the polycarbonate one priced at $999. However, they also have the old MacBook Airs prices at $999. I'm kind of split between the two, because I've never really liked the plastic in notebooks, but it also has a better IGP and a faster processor.

White Polycarbonate $999

MBA

I'm not bias at this point, as in, I'm not making this post with my mind made up (if I'm even buying Mac). But, which of the two would you choose if you:

Spent most time on campus, taking notes.

Needed large mobility.

Wanted something sturdy, something that's going to last 3-4 years.

Wanted to hook up a 1080p monitor (or 1200 x 1050 if required, but I also have a 17 and a 19")

Didn't need much in gaming, perhaps RSHD at very most?

I've never taken a large HDD footprint. For example, my laptop at the moment (I've had it for 3 years) has 50GB/105GB free with Vista.

Never used many USB ports, especially with a bluetooth mouse. I have a WiFi printer as well.

Liked the multi gestures on the MBA.

To give you slight things to go by, my current laptop:

T5200 @ 1.60GHz each

2GB RAM

Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family

The IGP was my biggest concern when choosing the MBA, as it doesn't have the 9400M that the polycarbonate one has. How will my IGP compare to that of the Air? The polycarbonate?

hopesolopatriot.jpg

The MacBook for 999 then.

I wonder if you should put another 50$ in for a 160gb harddrive? Your choice, but since you said 3-4 years.

J'adore aussi le sexe et les snuff movies

Je trouve que ce sont des purs moments de vie

Je ne me reconnais plus dans les gens

Je suis juste un cas désespérant

Et comme personne ne viendra me réclamer

Je terminerai comme un objet retrouvé

Or wait till Windows 7 gets out and get an Asus notebook? Those macs are expensive for the parts lol imo.

I don't know though, your choice.

Oh my, don't go with the MBA. I've had a white polycarbonate MacBook for 2.5 years now, and apart from the horrific graphics card (64mb) and low HD space (60gb) it's been amazing. It's held up great, Light and portable, big trackpad and nice keyboard.

Oh yeah, I'll go through your list real quick...

Spent most time on campus, taking notes. MBA

Needed large mobility. MBA

Wanted something sturdy, something that's going to last 3-4 years. MB

Wanted to hook up a 1080p monitor (or 1200 x 1050 if required, but I also have a 17 and a 19") Both

Didn't need much in gaming, perhaps RSHD at very most? MB

I've never taken a large HDD footprint. For example, my laptop at the moment (I've had it for 3 years) has 50GB/105GB free with Vista. MB

Never used many USB ports, especially with a bluetooth mouse. I have a WiFi printer as well. MB

Liked the multi gestures on the MBA. MBA

Yes it's close, but I'd still go with the MacBook. :thumbup:

Salamoniesunsetsig5.png

8,325th to 99 Firemaking 3/9/08 | 44,811th to 99 Cooking 7/16/08

4,968th to 99 Farming 10/9/09 | Runescaper August 2005-March 2010

Tip.it Mod Feb. 2008-Sep. 2008 | Tip.it Crew Sep. 2008-Nov. 2009

I personaly don't like Macs and think they are overpriced for what you get but I would go with the Macbook over the Air.

The Air is horrible, no cd/dvd drive, no wired ethernet, one usb port, but look, it can fit in this envelope. That must make it good, right? I would go with a normal Mac over the Air anyday for portability, I like having the option to make cds or use a flash drive and a mouse at the same time.

goldenblade995.png

Oh my, don't go with the MBA. I've had a white polycarbonate MacBook for 2.5 years now, and apart from the horrific graphics card (64mb) and low HD space (60gb) it's been amazing. It's held up great, Light and portable, big trackpad and nice keyboard.

Oh yeah, I'll go through your list real quick...

Spent most time on campus, taking notes. MBA

Needed large mobility. MBA

Wanted something sturdy, something that's going to last 3-4 years. MB

Wanted to hook up a 1080p monitor (or 1200 x 1050 if required, but I also have a 17 and a 19") Both

Didn't need much in gaming, perhaps RSHD at very most? MB

I've never taken a large HDD footprint. For example, my laptop at the moment (I've had it for 3 years) has 50GB/105GB free with Vista. MB

Never used many USB ports, especially with a bluetooth mouse. I have a WiFi printer as well. MB

Liked the multi gestures on the MBA. MBA

Yes it's close, but I'd still go with the MacBook. :thumbup:

Well, that's good to know. ::' I think the polycarbonate MacBook is the one I'm going with. But, I'm going to try both of them out in person before I buy.

And, how would both integrated graphic cards compare to the one I have at the moment, which shares 128mb with the main memory?

hopesolopatriot.jpg

Just got sent another Dell computer, the same model and such. I checked my credit card, and there were no payments to them, almost as if it were a free computer. :-k I called and they said there was no mistake, but that they didn't know why it was sent. But, I tried it out, downloaded all the updates and upon restart I got the fan noise again. Mountain Dew came out my noise at that point.

hopesolopatriot.jpg