Help put an end to junk trading

magzar

ok so how many of you have come across a rare item, and naturally were ecstatic at this new found source of riches, only to realize "i don't have millions worth of junk to be able to sell this with!!!!!!"

so what do you do?

either you spend an inordinate amount of time gathering junk just to sell your rare, or you dump in on the g.e. and take a profit loss

so how do we solve this problem?

how can we possibly find some way to sell items for what they're worth?

well the simple solution to this, is we can't

due to merchers and junk traders the "true value" of rares is much much higher than their g.e. value

it seems every new item released now has its price gouged to the ridiculous

but who decides an item's true value? the first person to get the item? do they automatically become the sole judge and jury on what an item should cost?

i say it's time to end the practice of setting the "true value" of items high above their g.e value making them only available to players who find it beneficial to waste time gathering tons of useless junk just to eat up the extra value

so my suggestion is this

STOP JUNK TRADING!!!!!!!

and start using the g.e.

insist on cash only trades

and blatantly refuse to have anything to do with junk

this will force price gougers to lower their prices

while forcing g.e. prices to rise with the new influx of items

while i know a lot of players are thinking "why would i want to lose (insert amount) gold by doing this when i can use junk"

think about it, the junk you gather has the same value as the extra gold being added to the rare item's cost

you're not increasing your profit, you're just selling your rare for its market price and the a ton of junk for its respective price

nothing is gained by this, and it is in turn one of the biggest problems with the g.e.

so start selling and buying rares on the g.e. help adjust prices to a level where everyone can be satisfied!!!!

i for one certainly will, and will even post pictures to prove it

and i encourage others to do so as well

for discussion value, what is your opinion on this?

and what suggestions might you have to improve the process?

i think all of runescape will ultimately benefit from this though it may seem like a loss to some players at first (but honestly if you're rich enough to deal in rares you're rich enough for this not to leave you broke)

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i know we can't do it alone, but if you want it to happen, then join in, and convince your friends to do the same

if each person who is willing can convince one other person it could spread like wildfire

and like i said, rich players can take the hit without too much damage to their coin piles

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

yes mag, but people invest most to all their cash, therefore losing all of their profit/money. even if they are not that rich. it'd take so much effert into stoping it and i doubt people would even want to because they want the most for their item. ::'

35hedkh.jpg

Junk trading exists because of the inordinate amount of useless goods a player can produce. Take unstrung longbows, for instance - they have no use beyond getting them strung, and unless it's Yew or Magic, they're not going to get strung. There's also javelins and spears that add onto the fodder.

Yeah, I don't like junk trading, and here's what I'd implement to curb it.

- Take all javelins, spears, knives and darts out of monster drops. If we need 'em, we know where to find 'em.

- Allow shops to buy the inordinate amount of goods that exist as junk from the GE itself, based on market demand for the item. The benefit here is twofold: the item price updates, and the item itself is converted to cash before disappearing from the game altogether. This is mostly intended towards the projectiles and unstrung bows, in which Yew and Magic would not be included.

- Reduce the amount of armor that can be bought from shops. Armor up to Mithril is acceptable, but Oziach should only allow the player to buy the plate up to three times, and Scavvo (in the Champion's Guild) should have a limited stock of Rune on hand.

I'd like to see some updates that implement this, but for now, we've no choice but to endure the Junk Rule. Just don't participate in it and don't accept items for junk, and that'll help curb it on a minimal scale for now.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

those are good ideas makoto, i also think a way to rid ourselves of junk would be great

my thought was if we could get enough people to refuse junk then the scale would rise

and if we use the ge the prices will rise on it allowing for the use of less junk

and eventually phasing it out altogether

[hide]

[/hide]

so my suggestion is this

STOP JUNK TRADING!!!!!!!

and start using the g.e.

Would anyone be happy selling a day 1 D Claw drop for the starting price of 150k? Junk Trading exists because Jagex is WAY off with some of their GE prices. I think Elysian and Divine shields/sigils should instantly be changed to like 500m GE price. Because people are willing to pay that and more in 3rd age for them.

Lugia_Lvl138.png

4x Phat owner: Blue, Green, 2x Purple

3100+ GWD bosses soloed.

Solo GWD Drops:

5 Bandos Plates, 4 Bandos Boots, 3 Bandos Hilts, 2 Arma Helms, Arma Skirt, Arma Plate, 3 Arma Hilts, 4 Zammy Spears, Steam Staff, 15 Sara Swords, 6 Sara Hilts, 29 Shards.

so my suggestion is this

STOP JUNK TRADING!!!!!!!

and start using the g.e.

Would anyone be happy selling a day 1 D Claw drop for the starting price of 150k? Junk Trading exists because Jagex is WAY off with some of their GE prices. I think Elysian and Divine shields/sigils should instantly be changed to like 500m GE price. Because people are willing to pay that and more in 3rd age for them.

you're not paying that price for those things

you're buying them for ge prices

and then making people buy all your useless junk too

as far as networth, there is no change

the only reason people see it as making more money is because they're selling all that junk

and who says they're worth more than they're set for on the g.e.

players seem more and more to think that jagex is clueless about prices and that putting prices in ranges only the extremely rich can ever afford is the correct way to do things

runescape isn't meant to be exclusionary

jagex doesn't want the items to be out of the reach of players who aren't into merchanting

so they set items at a reasonable price

then players decide "ZOMG J4G3X 1S T3H N00BZ0RZ taht itemz shud be moar!!!!"

the reason things are the way they are now is because rich players are allowed to set the prices as they choose, thereby placing these items in a trade range only those who play the way they do can afford

a casual runescape player will never be able to afford third age, even though it isn't even good armor, and is nowhere near as rare as it used to be

[hide]

[/hide]

a casual runescape player will never be able to afford third age, even though it isn't even good armor, and is nowhere near as rare as it used to be

what?

someone who plays runescape casually, just for fun, not to be rich will never be able to afford third age

even though it's easily surpassed by cheaper, better armor

and there is really no telling how many sets exist now

[hide]

[/hide]

jagex doesn't want the items to be out of the reach of players who aren't into merchanting

If that really is their goal, they could easily make 3a and sigils easier to get. But as Jagex haven't done that, I think the point of those items is exactly to be exclusive.

I agree with you however that making junk is useless most of the times. A good example is making maple (u) bows to get 99 fletching. You'd get way more net worth (either in junk or "real" cash) in then end by just doing yews and spending the time saved on making "real" cash. However, in some cases you just get junk as a by product. Good examples are trading and the loads of addy p++ arrows dropped by the zam boss. The poisoned version is worth 1.2k ea. Removing the poison would make them worth 118 ea. The best way to get the most out of those arrows is to junk trade. Or do you want to buy them?

When everything's been said and done, more has been said than done.

All skills 80+

angel2w.gif

what?

someone who plays runescape casually, just for fun, not to be rich will never be able to afford third age

even though it's easily surpassed by cheaper, better armor

and there is really no telling how many sets exist now

you didn't see what i made bolt,that's what im talking about.

3rd age is GOOD armour.

Eindhoven_by_Sadocles.jpg

so my suggestion is this

STOP JUNK TRADING!!!!!!!

and start using the g.e.

you're not paying that price for those things

you're buying them for ge prices

and then making people buy all your useless junk too

as far as networth, there is no change

the only reason people see it as making more money is because they're selling all that junk

and who says they're worth more than they're set for on the g.e.

players seem more and more to think that jagex is clueless about prices and that putting prices in ranges only the extremely rich can ever afford is the correct way to do things

so they set items at a reasonable price

then players decide "ZOMG J4G3X 1S T3H N00BZ0RZ taht itemz shud be moar!!!!"

the reason things are the way they are now is because rich players are allowed to set the prices as they choose, thereby placing these items in a trade range only those who play the way they do can afford

The Dragon Plate started at 30m. It rose a bit due to novelty, and then freefalled to about 10m due to the Bandos Plate being better. The Claws on the other hand, started at 150k and have gone up as much as the GE will possibly allow, and will continue to go up because the spec flat out owns. 150k for an incredible weapon dropped rarely by a high level monster that requires all quests to access is ridiculous, and the GE clearly shows that. Likewise, 30m for something that isn't better than a 12m Bandos Plate is also ridiculous and it's plummet to 10m shows that.

Spectral and Arcane shields started at 65m, Elysian and Divine started at 85m. Way too few sigils enter the game to change the GE fast enough to keep up with the incredible demand for the ownage Elysian and Divine shields, so while the GE prices went up some, demand is still far greater than the miniscule supply. As far as junk goes, I personally had a few k Addy Arrows P++ from when Zammy Boss had a safespot allowing you to solo without taking damage from 2 minions. I also had a few hundred Addy and Rune Javelins from Slayer. NOBODY buys those items, so the only way to sell them is with junk trading.

Lugia_Lvl138.png

3100+ GWD bosses soloed.

Solo GWD Drops:

5 Bandos Plates, 4 Bandos Boots, 3 Bandos Hilts, 2 Arma Helms, Arma Skirt, Arma Plate, 3 Arma Hilts, 4 Zammy Spears, Steam Staff, 15 Sara Swords, 6 Sara Hilts, 29 Shards.

rune javs alch for profit

Rune Javs alch for 374 GP. The exchange price is 312 GP plus about 230 for the Nat. 542-374 is a 168 gp loss per Javelin. So I'm pretty sure no one buys them to alch. Besides, I'm already 99 Mage, so why would I be alching?

Lugia_Lvl138.png

3100+ GWD bosses soloed.

Solo GWD Drops:

rune javs alch for profit

Rune Javs alch for 374 GP. The exchange price is 312 GP plus about 230 for the Nat. 542-374 is a 168 gp loss per Javelin. So I'm pretty sure no one buys them to alch. Besides, I'm already 99 Mage, so why would I be alching?

ok terrific i never said people buy them to alch, but if you pick them up off the ground you may as well alch them since no one buys them, they're worth more than a nature rune therefore profit

either way this is off topic

my point is merchants and rich players are able to use junk trading to set prices to far above what most players can afford

would it really be that horrible to make those items more available to players who don't spend every second contemplating ways to scam as much money as they can as quick as they can

and before you say junk trading isn't a scam, let me re-iterate; you are still selling the rare for g.e. price, you just force other players to buy your useless junk too

it's the equivalent of going to a restaurant, ordering a salad, and being told you also have to buy the bowl, silverware, napkin, table cloth, your chair, the table, and 50 bendy straws otherwise you can go elsewhere

this practice would NEVER fly in the real world and any business who tried it would quickly go out of business

i mean you could at least use something useful as junk rather than a bunch of stuff to take up room in the buyers bank, that the buyer can't get rid of unless they decide to resell that rare, find another rare, or somehow manage to find someone who actually wants the stuff for some reason

[hide]

[/hide]

mmmmmm....how about jagex sits in world two working out the average trade prices and altering the g.e prices to match. problem solved.

and a ton of annoyed merchents scream at jagex.

not exactly as that still places the prices far out of the reach of most players

which is precisely the goal of rare merchants/price gougers

by keeping rares out of the reach of conventional scapers they corner the market giving them a monopoly and allowing them to charge whatever they want

i do think the g.e. can be underpriced, however it seem to me that a median price between street and g.e. price would be a better starting point if Jagex were ever to change prices, which they likely won't

[hide]

[/hide]

It's simply because the GE hasn't kept up with the rapid price changes.

The reason God Armour and Swords etc, (and even claws are on their way), is because items go directly to the GE on loot exchange. The reason Party Hat and Third Age prices are warped is because once the price is wrong, people are never going to sell for that price, and therefore the price never changes.

Your solution isn't the best one to this problem.