Final Fantasy Discussion thread

Harakiri

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

Chapter ten. CID IS A GODDAMN [bleep] AND HE DESERVES TO ROT FORVER!

Goddamn, that is the hardest fight I've ever done in FF. And I've done all the optional bosses in the other games. After a few grueling hours of watching him one shot lighting after he steals all my buffs I manage to take him down.

It was so epic. I wound up breaking him as I summoned Odin and just tore open the stagger gauge before hitting him at 800% with a Zanzetsuken. I didn't see how much damage it did because IT KILLED HIM. The last thing I saw was lightning crouching in the most awesome battle pose ever as the FIVE STARS showed up. I was so happy I couldn't help but jump up out of my chair in victory. I'm glad I was the only one home because the little dance I did afterward would be awkward to explain. The swearing on my previous attempts would probably have cleared the room by then though.

Gotta give these guys credit, their video gave me the Odin idea

(has swears and immature humor, be warned)

I didn't do what they did in that video, they just gave me the idea of finishing him with odin. I used fang instead of sahz, I loose out on haste but constant paradigm shifts make up for the speed loss. Dispel and slowga make things much easier too. I used both sols. I really pulled out all the stops now that I think about it. I spammed potions at some points and had his stagger at 250/300 when he transformed. Summon canceled the ray-of-dispelling-everything-and-pissing-you-off and staggered him with Odin. Got really lucky cause he went into defense mode which gave me a ton of time to build it. Then gestalt for the win! I really wish I had recorded it, It was so epic. Especially the way it ended. Might only feel epic for me, but I spent longer on Cid than I did on Emerald Weapon or Nemesis.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cid was pretty hard...

I didn't really like FFXIII for whatever reason. It might have been the fact I grew increasingly bored with all the characters and I did not enjoy the plot much. The combat was really good I must say, but I gave up on it around twenty something hours in because I got really, really bored. I was playing Dragon Age at the same time as FFXIII as well, so that might have been another problem to my enjoyment. I much preferred Dragon Age.

I guess I will have to continue saying that X was my favorite.

Is FFXIII Versus an RPG, or is it an actual fighting game?

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've managed to get to Chapter 9 so far in FF XIII, it's the first Final Fantasy game I've played. The story is incredibly cheesy and lame and I want Vanille and Hope to shut up and go away, but I love the game :3 I really like how cinematic it is.

Oh, but the linearity, oh god. Are all Final Fantasy games this cheesy and linear?

wl7w9j.png

I just got my first Final Fantasy game, FF XIII, and I'm pretty sure I'm nearly done with it. It's a great game, and as I said earlier my only complaint is the cheesiness of the characters/story and how linear the game is. The pretty creative battle system is a big plus, the graphics are AWESOME, and the fact that it plays like an interactive movie with combat involved was pretty appealing to me personally. There are lots of long cutscenes (10+ minutes) and there's also a good amount of reading you have to do to get the whole story. The other thing I really like is the fact that while the combat system is pretty complex, it starts off really simple and they gradually introduce more mechanics as you play, to make sure you're ready for it.

With Final Fantasy they're all separate storylines so choosing a more recent game won't leave you with a sequel that's better played after its predecessors. That was my concern with jumping into Final Fantasy, but it isn't a problem at all. I've heard great things about FF VII, and I can personally vouch for FF XIII. Though other people will have to talk about the other games :P

Also, in regards to JRPG's, the Tales of series makes some incredible games. Tales of Symphonia 1 & 2 for the Gamecube and Wii respectively are my personal favorites. They've both got well over 50 hours of gameplay, have a great story with bundles of plot twists, and really really fun combat.

wl7w9j.png

So, um, where would the best place for someone who wants to get into Final Fantasy be? Game-wise, I mean.

I've been looking to get into JRPGs for a while and FF seems like the logical starting place. xD

In my opnion, either start with the basics. (FF1) Or go for the most praised ones (FFVII or FFX)

If you don't like FFVII or FFX, you probably won't like the series as a whole. FF1 is very basic and easy to learn too, so starting there isn't bad.

So, um, where would the best place for someone who wants to get into Final Fantasy be? Game-wise, I mean.

I've been looking to get into JRPGs for a while and FF seems like the logical starting place. xD

In my opnion, either start with the basics. (FF1) Or go for the most praised ones (FFVII or FFX)

If you don't like FFVII or FFX, you probably won't like the series as a whole. FF1 is very basic and easy to learn too, so starting there isn't bad.

I love FFIX. Basic, easy to learn, good storyline, lotta sidequests, not TOO much customization, unlike FFVIII.

Paragon.png

• 5 months later...

One thing i disagree with is basically the gameplay for Final Fantasy 13 battles is to keep the leader of the party alive at all times. ( :thumbdown: ) I mean i liked the other games where the main character could fall in battle and you didnt have an instant game over. Other than that its a pretty good game. ( :thumbsup: )

One thing i disagree with is basically the gameplay for Final Fantasy 13 battles is to keep the leader of the party alive at all times. ( :thumbdown: ) I mean i liked the other games where the main character could fall in battle and you didnt have an instant game over. Other than that its a pretty good game. ( :thumbsup: )

The Shin Megami Tensei universe of games usually has that as a game mechanic, where if the main character dies it's game over. Most don't have a problem with it, so hmm.

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.

The Shin Megami Tensei universe of games usually has that as a game mechanic, where if the main character dies it's game over. Most don't have a problem with it, so hmm.

Well it dosen't help when the final boss has an instant death move that he can randomly choose to cast on the party leader... that's how my first 15 minute long attempt ended. :angry:

Well it dosen't help when the final boss has an instant death move that he can randomly choose to cast on the party leader... that's how my first 15 minute long attempt ended. :angry:

So true, being so close and then, Whamo just like that. :blink:

I'd be thinking it's Strange Journey, no? Her MA attack which just does 100% damage to you, right? I think you can use the Dragon Ring for the Endure effect and smooth it over once. Or is this Nocturne? Or even one of the first two mainline games that has a final boss that consists of "<FINAL BOSS WHOSE NAME IS NOT GOING TO BE SPOILERED> has pointed his finger at X! X has died!"?

I was going to eat hot dogs for dinner tonight. I think I will settle for cereal.

OPEN WIDE HERE COMES THE HELICOPTER.