Are games art?

whiteguy

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

I have been asked (and i have asked) this questions some time for now. I believe they are not art, but a container for art. There is music, paintings (textures, landscapes) literature (it tells a story) etc... Eventually, i think they should make it's way to be "official" works of art.

Your view?

Video games are a huge piece of art. From the story to the textures it's all art.

Yeah, I basically agree with riku.

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Do you think movies are art? They contain literature, music and visuals.

To add to that, a game can be beautiful if you look at each component (Storyline, Music, visuals, etc.) individually, but just turn out to be a piece of crap if those components don't work together. It isn't the components of a game that make it wonderful, it is the balance of those components coming together that can make a game wonderful.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

Video games are a huge piece of art. From the story to the textures it's all art.

Yeah, I basically agree with riku.

I just wanted to see if the OP believed movies were art or not since they contain other kinds of art. I think most everyone will agree that movies are art, and therefore disregarding video games as art on the basis of it is just a container for other art would be a double-standard.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=137&t=259096

Look at that and then tell me video games are not art.

Hell, that's just the concept art.

Damn, I wish Gears had turned out to be like that. Inject some colour into the grey and browns, other than red blood. I know it is supposed to reflect wartime, but there's still going to be beauty like that.

There's no such thing as regret. A regret means you are unhappy with the person you are now,

and if you're unhappy with the person you are, you change yourself. That

regret will no longer be a regret, because it will help to form the new,

better you. So really, a regret isn't a regret.

It's experience.

Wow, VERY impressive.

Well... games like Runescape aren't very.. arty imo. :S Blockheads = art?

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Damn, I wish Gears had turned out to be like that. Inject some colour into the grey and browns, other than red blood. I know it is supposed to reflect wartime, but there's still going to be beauty like that.

Agreed. There's also some early setting art for Assassin's Creed on that board (which looks stunning), but I didn't feel like digging around anymore tonight.

The main problem with classifying art is that it's completely subjective. To some people, a splash of random colour on a canvas is a masterpiece, where to others it's a waste of paint. It won't be a while until games are fully realized for the artistry involved in creating them, but eventually they will get due recognition (hopefully sooner rather than later).

Do you think movies are art? They contain literature, music and visuals.

Depends on the movie, if it's absolutely craptastic then no. But otherwise, yea, i do believe that's they are art.

Also, double standards FTL. I don't know why i consider videogames containers for art, instead of art itself. :-#

Videogames are art. Yes there is the obvious scenery, graphics and such, but there is also the less obvious stuff. I can bet that you have at one point in your life, played a game that has affected you in some way. A game that brought some sort of emotion out of you. A game can be a beautiful thing, games have made me laugh, cry, feel happy, sad etc. Take MGS4 for example. There is more emoton contained in that one game than in almost any movie I have ever seen. The story is as well written, if not better than most movies. The graphics are almost second to none. The bosses convey so much emoton, through their choreography, attitude and a load of other things. All these elements together create an experience like no other. It is art.Just in a different way.

So don't let anyone tell you you're not worth the earth,

These streets are your streets, this turf is your turf,

Don't let anyone tell you that you've got to give in,

Cos you can make a difference, you can change everything,

Just let your dreams be your pilot, your imagination your fuel,

Tear up the book and write your own damn rules,

Use all that heart, hope and soul that you've got,

And the love and the rage that you feel in your gut,

And realise that the other world that you're always looking for,

Lies right here in front of us, just outside this door,

And it's up to you to go out there and paint the canvas,

After all, you were put on the earth to do this,

So shine your light so bright that all can see,

Take pride in being whoever the [bleep] you want to be.

Exactly. That actually seems like a more realistic warfare setting than Gears actually does, especially inside that building. I mean, the world doesn't suddenly lose all color when war starts.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

Are games art? I don't know. Does the masterful storytelling through the use of narrative in Bioshock count as art? Are the colossi in Shadow of the Colossus merely scribbles turned 3-D? I'd say yes, as I just mentioned, Bioshock and SotC were both brilliant games, graphically, musically, and as stories.

100% F2P

Bonesaw342.png

234fcb4520.png

Bonesaw342.png

Bonesaw342.png

99 Defense, Tuesday February 10th 2009

99 Attack, Tuesday May 26th 200962,189th to get it

First of all, even if something is bad it can still be considered art, just not good art.

But can video games be examples of great artwork? I think so, yes. One of the big things that video games can take advantage of is they have a new way of telling a story that no other medium can do. Other mediums simply tell you what happens. In a video game you live what happens and in cases create it. There are few games who really take advantage of this to it's fullest (Half life 1/2, System Shock 1/2, Dead Space, Bioshock) are all great examples of games with minimal or no "cutscenes" and give you control of your character. In Bioshock they used the medium of video games to get a message across (Why do you always do what the game tells you?) and in the other games they simply had a way of telling the story brilliantly.

In the Half Life series no 3rd party force tells you what happens. You don't find out the action through a movie, a cutscene, but instead yourself. The incident of Black Mesa was intensified because you were there, you become Gordon Freeman and you enter his world. No movie or book can do this, but a video game can... and has.

This is why I think video games can be great works of art. They allow you to live a story, to feel it's emotions and ups and downs first hand. Sure, a great movie will make you feel sorry for the main character, or cheer them on, but you aren't that character. In a video game it is so much more personal. Again, Half Life was such a great game because you didn't know what was going on. You didn't know who was responsible for the accident, or what was going on outside those walls, or even behind that locked door. No one told you.

Pretty much anything can be classified as "art", so yeah I guess games can be called Art too.

nabsigmar2011.png

[spoiler=My 99s (7)]9,638th to 99 Fletching ~ 29th January 2007

737th to 99 Hunter ~ 2nd July 2007

910th to 99 Agility ~ 28th January 2008

59,467th to 99 Defence ~ 23rd December 2009

92,762nd to 99 Hitpoints ~ 26th June 2010

102,704th to 99 Attack ~ 29th June 2010

144,091st to 99 Strength ~ 29th June 2010

Definitely. A lot of stuff can be 'art' and games are no exception.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

• 2 weeks later...