An Essence of Skills Divided

Gandorf61

One of your questions seemed to catch my eye, as I've thought about it often before: Should more skills make money?

Yes, I think Jagex has lost sight of this; probably because too many people would take advantage of something (because we do, do it). But back in the day, like early RSC day, skills were meant to be trained to make you money/be successful; not, all together, just show it off.

Back in the day, you could make money off of almost any skill; yes, obviously not skills like prayer but you know what I mean.

It's probably because of how many people play the game, because of people like merchants, because of "nerfs" Jagex makes. But all-in-all, it would be nice to play a Runescape that was 'right'. IMO

THIS, describes my feelings about RS: and why I stopped playing...

With the limitation of GE (ie a price can never drop below alch value) many skills/training methods are by definition a loss of money!

And since I don't care AT ALL about looks/stats/show off, I only wanted to become "better" at the game, the whole point was gone for me! (seriously how does smithing/high magic makes you better in other skills?)

Might want to check your facts many items sell for below high alch value...last time i checked rune large sells for a couple hundred below high alq value. The reason most items never fall below high alch value it that once it goes below the cost of a nuture rune or even before that amount most people stop selling the item and just high alch the item... that brings up demand and then the price rises again.

A good skill for me is a skill that isnt straightforward.

A skill that has lots of ways to train it which all have their benefits.

Examples:

Magic (you can burst, you can alch, you can bolt enchant, you can make planks, you can enchant in MTA, you can fire wave, you can do COG at DKS, ...)

Summoning (you can camp waterfiends, you can burst/barrage, you can do slayer)

Melee, ranging (obvious)

Crafting (battlestaves, dragonhides, jewelry, silver, Yak hides, leather)

"Bad skills" IMO.

Hunter: It's basicly just catching chins.

Firemaking: maples, eucalyptus/yew, or mages

EDIT: agility: even though it's used a lot, unconsciously, it is a really narrow skill. There is only one way to train it: do courses. And for the courses there's like 2 major choices: Ape atoll, and Dorgeshkaan (note, I'm talking for lvl 70+).

Also, I like to train skills that not everyone and his mom has 99 in, just for having 99, so I dont like fletching, firemaking and cooking. I like to be a bit "special", or something...

Also, somehow I'm not a big fan of AFK skills. I'd rather have a skill that needs my full attention (eg manually bursting rock lobsters), than a skill that just needs you to bank every 2 minutes. If I'm playing runescape, I like to *play*, not just click a few buttons every 2 min.

Cleaing herbs and stuff like that is a bit overkill though (too much clicking).

... might continue

But since Runescape isn't reality it doesn't really matter in the long run.

then why even make this thread? Also, you need to stop arguing with people who have clearly bested you.

Er what I meant was let's say in reality there were abyssal demons and mithril dragons. Why should abyssal demons who are substantially weaker need more knowledge to kill than a mithril dragon? But I've allready been convinced that slayer is a good skill so I'm not going to argue otherwise.

----

As for magic, while it's really hard to profit from it is still a balanced skill that fits in with everything you do in Runescape. Another one of the best skills in the game.

The one thing I noticed about skills that profit is that the materials gathered are always used on a skill that looses money. Basically Jagex is making it more of a "breaking even" game where you have 50/50 for spending and making money. I just think it should be more easy to make the money than to use it on another skill. If you were to level every skill to level 99 using only money you made from the skills you trained would you profit, break even, or run out of money? If you profit then most skills in runescape are balanced, if not then there needs to be a new money making skill.

Agility is the a very good skill as it applies to everything else. It's free, but it takes a long time to get level 99.

Thieving is almost the same, but rather than applying to simply training other skills, it's more about being ready for situations which may arise. I wish they'd rename Thieving to "Ingenuity" since it's also about solving puzzles and getting out of traps.

2dgucz6.png

Did anyone else think this was going to be a pure essence/reg essence debate?

Yeah. \'

Me too. I even had a quote in the torpedo tube:

"An essence divided cannot stand."

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

Did anyone else think this was going to be a pure essence/reg essence debate?

I actually was thinking about the same when I made this thread but I thought there really wasn't much to debate so I used it for this topic anyways. I really should change the title though. Maybe "An Essence of Skills Divided"?

I think farming is the best skill by far.

Takes time (obviously) but there's no grinding involved.

And there's also tons of different things you can do with it.

How could I forget Farming? I completely agree.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

But since Runescape isn't reality it doesn't really matter in the long run.

then why even make this thread? Also, you need to stop arguing with people who have clearly bested you.

Guess you won me over. ::'

#-o :wall: :wall:

OT: I believe a good skill is one that fun and new things in it, that continues adding on until 99. Summoning is a prime example of what a good skill should be. It still has add-ons to this day, with the new familiar to summon or pet to have for almost every level.

80aa0daff6.png

Nate's Big Blog

4,000th to 99 crafting, 33,340th to 99 defence, 3,867th to 99 farming, 55,293rd to 99 hitpoints

Agility. :thumbsup:

"To all you youngsters reading this, if you are under 25 STOP PLAYING THIS GAME RIGHT NOW. Life is to short and you are only that young once. Trust me when i say this, take advantage of the girls now. Once they are 25+ and have been around a few times they arnt dumb anymore, the fun is all over."

--BAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Farming is a good skill, balanced between cost and profit. Want profit? Plant herbs and cheaper trees. Want faster EXP? Plant the expensive trees, the best of everything in an hourly circle. No grinding. It's a skillcape that I'd love to get.

Slayer has always been a weird skill to me. I understand the term of "slayer" as someone who kills special monsters that requires special "techniques", such as gargoyles (which you can never KO without a rock hammer) and dustdevils (which you'll die a tragic death if you rush straight on without a facemask). And you're probably assigned a task because someone needs help exterminating them (from a village or so-and-so town that's been plagued) However, there's a whole list of non-slayer specified monsters on the list that makes me wonder if I'm truly SLAYING or just training combat with that extra slayer EXP to level the skill and increase my total level.

Besides that, it seems that most players understand slayer as a train-to-lvl85-so-that-I-can-get-abbywhip skill. If you're thinking that slayer is a useful skill because it provides abyssal whips and dragon boots, I'd like to say that without the skill, something of similar stats could be easily added either as a super rare drop from average monsters, or decently rare drop from boss-level monsters.

If the skill was better in concept, perhaps with all monsters assigned being slayer specific, and have you taking tasks from people who need help in a "slayer guild" rather than 5 NPCs, I would say that it's a good skill.

Summoning is very, very useful; fits in well into the rest of the skills, and solved many small rants that used to exist on the RSoF. However,some of the familiars' design doesn't fit well into the storyline of RuneScape. Why are the titans spiritual beings of another dimension? Why do some monsters have a familiar version? Is there a god/goddess of summon? Shouldn't summons be more spirtual-like (follow you around like a glowing orb) and less like pets (lagging behind when you run and getting stuck behind trees)?WHY IS THE MAGPIE A SUMMON FAMILIAR AND NOT A PET?!

Zepheras.png

"Do you really want to go back to the time when Falador was grey, lesser demon look like goats, dragons look like cows, hellhound look like cats and your character stands as stiff as a statue?"

-F1775

I like to think that even when killing non specific slayer monsters during slayer is just a form of training the techniques for the slayer specific monsters. Like using a punchbag but more advanced training.

Drops /could/ be from normal monsters but then thats the point of slayer. To train for specific monsters that no one else can unless you got the slayer level.

Sometimes skills are respected for being long and hard...

That's what she said. :D

OT: The only thing that I dislike about some skills in Runescape is that you can take raw materials, do something with them, and you lose money. You are spending time doing something, so why should you lose money? In real life, taking raw resources and creating a product usually makes you money, not lose it. Some skills to name are smithing, crafting, herblore, etc. Other than that, I like almost all the skills, except farming, it is soooo boring to me...

Big_Stingman.png

OT: The only thing that I dislike about some skills in Runescape is that you can take raw materials, do something with them, and you lose money. You are spending time doing something, so why should you lose money? In real life, taking raw resources and creating a product usually makes you money, not lose it. Some skills to name are smithing, crafting, herblore, etc. Other than that, I like almost all the skills, except farming, it is soooo boring to me...

All skills can be done for "free". Training a skill by buying the resources makes it cost money. Gathering your own resources will make it more like "real life" in that you will make money.

Catch fish (= free), cook fish, sell fish.

chris_924.png

All skills can be done for "free". Training a skill by buying the resources makes it cost money. Gathering your own resources will make it more like "real life" in that you will make money.

EEEEH! I'm sorry, but that answer is incorrect. You do not make money be gathering your own resources for making end products, but LOSE money. An example: You gather Green Dragonhides worth 1.5k each. You craft them into Vambraces worth 1.3k each as well as tanning them for an increased time expenditure. You actually LOSE 200 gp on each hide and even more from the time it took to gather and tan them. And in reality, businesses almost ALWAYS buy their raw materials or parts and then use them to produce something worth a good bit MORE than the materials, wages, and time expenditure.
If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

:wall: :roll:

I see your point on how when raw materials are made into something it should profit. The only way to do this though would be to introduce another way to get these raw materials faster, or at least more of them in the game.

EEEEH! I'm sorry, but that answer is incorrect. You do not make money be gathering your own resources for making end products, but LOSE money. An example: You gather Green Dragonhides worth 1.5k each. You craft them into Vambraces worth 1.3k each as well as tanning them for an increased time expenditure. You actually LOSE 200 gp on each hide and even more from the time it took to gather and tan them. And in reality, businesses almost ALWAYS buy their raw materials or parts and then use them to produce something worth a good bit MORE than the materials, wages, and time expenditure.

I see and understand your point.

I was looking at it from a more overall point of view. It is not to say that I train by collecting my own resources.

The point I was making is if you have a raw shark that you caught, it is a raw shark, not gp. You could sell it for 1k but you cooked it so you sell it now for 800 gp. Overall, you made 800gp (and gained both fishing and cooking xp). Now if you sold it raw you made 1k gp so either way you make money, it's just a difference in how much. I think it is all just a matter of perspective. In general if one was to train a skill by collecting their own resources, they will be much richer in the end than if the purchased the supplies.

Obviously, it RS is different from real life because of xp.

chris_924.png

I was looking at it from a more overall point of view. It is not to say that I train by collecting my own resources.

The point I was making is if you have a raw shark that you caught, it is a raw shark, not gp. You could sell it for 1k but you cooked it so you sell it now for 800 gp. Overall, you made 800gp (and gained both fishing and cooking xp). Now if you sold it raw you made 1k gp so either way you make money, it's just a difference in how much. I think it is all just a matter of perspective. In general if one was to train a skill by collecting their own resources, they will be much richer in the end than if the purchased the supplies.

I do get what you mean, but I disagree.

I'd much rather go and do GWD, aviasies, green drags, rcing, than collecting my own seconds for herblore (or herbs too, in fact).

You see it in general, but that gives you a wrong view.

It's the FISHING that GIVES you money + fishing xp

It's the COOKING that make you LOOSE money +cooking xp

Simple as that, no way around it.

[hide=]

[/hide]

I do get what you mean, but I disagree.

I'd much rather go and do GWD, aviasies, green drags, rcing, than collecting my own seconds for herblore (or herbs too, in fact).

You see it in general, but that gives you a wrong view.

It's the FISHING that GIVES you money + fishing xp

It's the COOKING that make you LOOSE money +cooking xp

Simple as that, no way around it.

In short:

catch fish, cook fish, sell fish = $ gain

Buy fish, cook fish sell fish = $ loss

That's the only point I was trying to make.

Hell, I am no "purist", when I train rc, am I buying the ess? absolutely

(BTW, here is your make money skill, buy ess, make nat, sell nat = proffit)

Some may argue you can make more money doing other things (as was stated in another post) and of course in reality (well RS reality) that's how I do it.

BUT in the world of RS, we tend to have to "pay for xp" in order to do it quicker.

chris_924.png

I think an awesome skill is Summoning, helps a lot and the rewards are awesome.

And honestly, you could get 'buyable' skills up without buying them at all, how about get your own planks and stuff for construction? But no, there are always workers that supply the materials to make a living.

Honestly, people hate some skills for being slow and others for making them too expensive.

It is your choice either to buy the skill or make it yourself (Example, Chinning range or let's say ranging aviansies which actually make profit)

_p3_minato_arisato_signature__by_x0sandylicious0x-d3hnk6v.png