Iddison resigns as Jagex CEO, replaced by Mark Gerhard

me

I just think, like Constant Tedder, perhaps Iddison had just outlived his purpose in the company. Maybe they decided to take a different direction.

It is their directors' report and financial statements for the year ended 31 March 2008.

Oh sorry, I guess that really doesn't apply to Iddison much then. I guess that means it was probably just a coincidence, as you said it was. I really don't think that Iddison left for any negative reason.

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Financial statements for year ending 3/08 would have been released a year ago.

You probably meant to say Fiscal Year 08/09, which would run from 3/08 to 2/09 for Jagex is my guess, and would be released in the next few days. That time period would have everything to do with Iddison.

"Duty, then, is the sublimest word in the English language. If I do my full duty, the rest will take care of itself." ~ Robert E. Lee

gz_sijan.png

Financial statements for year ending 3/08 would have been released a year ago.

You probably meant to say Fiscal Year 08/09, which would run from 3/08 to 2/09 for Jagex is my guess, and would be released in the next few days. That time period would have everything to do with Iddison.

No, I meant what I said. How could the figures for 08-09 be released now, that'd give them absolutely no time to get it audited by KPMG. Jagex isn't like one of those big companies who post quarterly reports, their full reports are always old.

The report Jagex filed at the end of January 2008 was for the year ended 31 March 2007, and was approved by the Board on the 7th of September 2007.

ren_tbv450.png

Mechscape World (the original MechScape fansite)

They must do things very differently in the UK. The company I work for here in the US, their fiscal year ends at the end of March. They will release their end of year report for 2008-2009 on or about 1 Apr 2009. Auditing is a continuous and ongoing process here.

There's no point in releasing info a year late. Over here, people would think you were hiding something if you waited that long.

"Duty, then, is the sublimest word in the English language. If I do my full duty, the rest will take care of itself." ~ Robert E. Lee

gz_sijan.png

They must do things very differently in the UK. The company I work for here in the US, their fiscal year ends at the end of March. They will release their end of year report for 2008-2009 on or about 1 Apr 2009. Auditing is a continuous and ongoing process here.

There's no point in releasing info a year late. Over here, people would think you were hiding something if you waited that long.

I think it is because Jagex is a private company not on the stock market. In Jagex's early days they didn't even have to have a full report, they only had to have abbreviated accounts.

ren_tbv450.png

Interesting things that Jagex has done over the time that Iddison was at the helm:

- Release the RWT changes, then spend a year trying to bring out replacements for what was taken away.

- Release the HD update full of quests that couldn't be completed, then fix them later.

- Release the new 1-hour Tutorial, chop bits out, chop more bits out, then roll back to the old one.

- Target RuneScape at younger teenagers. I dislike being advised to write down my password and give it to my parents; I haven't lived with them for years.

Maybe a change is worth a try.

idk if the Jagex CEO decides this but lets hope they decide to market older players now. Gamers over the age of 18 are the biggest market available. I find it silly that they make the game younger and younger instead of tapping into older crowds

They are trying to go after the older demographic with MechScape.

ren_tbv450.png

Any publicly traded company must release its financial 10K based on their fiscal year. Each and every company gets to choose what their fiscal calendar is, usually dependent on business segment. Most government contractors coincide with US Gov't for fiscal year (ending 30 September), whereas most retailers end their fiscal year in January to capture the Holiday sales season.

There is no way to know if Iddison moved by his choice or upon command of the Gowers. Speculation at this point is merely that.

stormveritas.png

Sheesh. Geoff couldn't stand the community 2 years. Makes me respect Andrew now for running runescape for all those years before him. I'll always remember Andrew as the founder. I still haven't accepted the fact that he gave up leadership 18 months ago. :cry:

Perhaps this new guy will do something about these crap minigames and merchant problems. Those are really the only two things I hate about runescape now; I've learned to accept the Dec 2007 changes.

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

I still haven't accepted the fact that he gave up leadership 18 months ago. :cry:

Iddison replaced Constant Tedder not Andrew Gower. Tedder co-founded the company with Andrew and Paul back in 2001. Andrew remains as Jagex's lead developer working on the game.

ren_tbv450.png

I figure that Jagex wan't to do dome different things this year, and bringing in a different CEO with different expertise is their way of making that happen. Jagex may or may not have liked what idisson did, but it is clear they wan't something different. The guy didn't just wake up and decide to resign (well maybe he did, but not likely).

This speculation on why he left is a little fun. I haven't seen any indication that Iddison has been hired to a new position yet. The finincial figures that Ren posted had very little to do with Iddison's tenure, and showed no problems.

When Constant Tedder resigned, as far as I know, there was no more information on the resignation then we currently have on Iddison's resignation. I have always guessed that the small company that Constant Tedder started probably outgrew him, but this is clearly not the case with Iddison. Obviously, we will just have to see if there are any major changes in the activites and business that indicate what direction Jagex may have indended to take, if any.

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

Sheesh. Geoff couldn't stand the community 2 years. Makes me respect Andrew now for running runescape for all those years before him. I'll always remember Andrew as the founder. I still haven't accepted the fact that he gave up leadership 18 months ago. :cry:

Despite the fact that Andrew is not the CEO of the company, as the controlling shareholder he is still ultimately in control of the company. While the CEO may be in charge of day to day operations; they still have to report to the owner of the business (The Gower brothers, and Tedder assuming they haven't unloaded their stock). My guess based on Iddison's short tenure is that Jagex realized something that many rapidly expanded startups have noticed. After Being run by the founder(s) of the company that essentially established the entire business and had the vision to do something different, the transition to an outside hire career manager can be a MASSIVE cultural shock - driving the business in a completely different direction then before; for instance you could see Iddison's influence in the extremely aggressive "dumbing down" of the game to appeal to younger people. I would bet that clashes between the founders and Iddison caused his resignation based on the extremeley short period he worked for Jagex.

When Constant Tedder resigned, as far as I know, there was no more information on the resignation then we currently have on Iddison's resignation. I have always guessed that the small company that Constant Tedder started probably outgrew him, but this is clearly not the case with Iddison.

Tedder probably just got tired of working and felt like retiring. If what I have read is correct in that he was one of the original stockholders with a 33% share, he would have more then enough money to go buy a house on a beach somewhere and just relax for the rest of his life - similar to what Paul Allen (One of the founders of Microsoft) did. He bought himself a 400 foot long yacht, and spends his days sailing around the world.

In all likelihood he probably pushed to have the Wilderness closed and they saw a sharp drop in membership profits that hasn't been revived completely by the reintroduction of PVP worlds so the board pressured him to make a graceful exit.

Really though I have to agree with the idea of startups having different goals then established companies.

Then again he might have been the one that set to prices for D plate and D claws... or be the one that pushed d plate to be a quest prize :P.

Stupid.png

In all likelihood he probably pushed to have the Wilderness closed and they saw a sharp drop in membership profits that hasn't been revived completely by the reintroduction of PVP worlds so the board pressured him to make a graceful exit.

Really though I have to agree with the idea of startups having different goals then established companies.

Then again he might have been the one that set to prices for D plate and D claws... or be the one that pushed d plate to be a quest prize :P.

Once again, the CEO has nothing to do with ingame content (from what I understand). Anyways, the Wilderness changes and trade limits were planned before he entered the company I think.

"There are only two strategies in war. Move forward or change. The victor is the first to realise that when he cannot move forward he must change."

~ Mod Mark H ~

100000players-2.jpg

Once again, the CEO has nothing to do with ingame content (from what I understand). Anyways, the Wilderness changes and trade limits were planned before he entered the company I think.

You can't say he has no effect, he decides general direction if nothing else and I was just tossing those out there more as a joke. In any case still we won't know if it was a financial thing until next fiscal year and if it was nothing related to money we may never know.

Really though in most of these cases he either got a better job or he made a large set of blunders in a short period of time. Who know he could have caused (some how) the delay of MechScape.

Stupid.png

He was probably told to resign by Andrew or another primary stockholder, I wonder what he did.

I know nothing of Jagex itself other than Andrew Gower. (Is he still the main man?) Anyhow, isn't Geoff the guy who got rid of the wilderness and trading? :lol: Maybe that's what got him fired lol.

Maybe it was Andrew putting pressure on Iddison, so Iddison thought f--k this, you're not telling me what to do and walked out?

Yes, Iddison didn't want to listen to his boss, so quit. What a [bleep] [developmentally delayed].

My post is very possible...

Maybe it was Andrew putting pressure on Iddison, so Iddison thought f--k this, you're not telling me what to do and walked out?

Yes, Iddison didn't want to listen to his boss, so quit. What a [bleep] [developmentally delayed].

But it's based purely on your fantasy. Useless post.

But it's based purely on your fantasy. Useless post.

His post did say maybe, and this is essentially all speculation anyway, so I would say his post is more useful, or at least on topic, than yours or teh_mage's.

Hail to The Great Big Penguin in the sky. And Guthix, of course.

Harbringerjm.gif