Holiday Musings and a permanent solution to rares

Jard_Y_Dooku

TL;DR version:

-Take all current tradeable rares and turn them into stackable "trading cards" with a dynamic market price, but very low shop value. Monetarily, they would serve the same purpose as rares do now, without causing an instant flooding of the market with GP. Essentially, what was once wearable, no longer is, but it retains all other value.

-Optionally, create a new series of stackable items that are tradeable, and have a static market and shop value, to act as a way to store excess wealth

-Create duplicates of all current tradeable rares, as untradeable items that can be retrieved from Diango or other methods as mentioned in the OP

konets

1. You can't take items out of an economy and expect people to use your presented alternative. That approach never works.

2. That isn't a bad idea.

3. No.

Numbers 1 and 3 are effectively intertwined, and go off of the already stated idea that Jagex intended for holiday items to be fun, and not the economical disasters that they are today. I have to agree with the OP (and many before him, I'm sure) that the only way to return to that idea is to make all current tradeable rares nontradeable, and acquirable from Diego. To prevent mass riots, the current tradeable items would, under my suggestions, retain their entire street value, albeit in an unwearable form.

Do you really think that the people who are hoarding Santa's (or other wearable rares) are doing so because they want to physically show off their wealth? Seeing as you can only wear one at a time, I doubt it. Now, sure, maybe they like the look and wear one of them to show off some of their wealth. By transforming all current tradeable rares into tradeable "card" versions of themselves, you allow for everyone who wants to have one of these fun items to have one and wear it if they desire, without removing the high street value and wealth that players have been amassing over the years. Sure, those with phats and masks and santas wouldn't be able to dangle them in front of those not quite as well off as themselves, but that was never the original intent of the items anyway, and so should not be a reason to keep wearable versions from being available to the masses, IMHO.

lizzenkov.png

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say no. It's fine the way it is.

Objectively, I would agree with you, triquos. I don't care much for rares (I don't spend that much time lounging around or in any capacity to be wearing a rare anyway). To me, rares are merely serve as an alternative currency. However, since the topic is alive again here, I don't see the harm in discussing/debating possible solutions*.

* I say solutions because of the quote seen in the OP regarding Jagex's original intentions for the items. Please, don't try to argue that there isn't a problem, as I think this topic is approaching the problem that Jagex perceives, not that the community as a whole sees.

lizzenkov.png

I say no. It's fine the way it is.

Objectively, I would agree with you, triquos. I don't care much for rares (I don't spend that much time lounging around or in any capacity to be wearing a rare anyway). To me, rares are merely serve as an alternative currency. However, since the topic is alive again here, I don't see the harm in discussing/debating possible solutions*.

* I say solutions because of the quote seen in the OP regarding Jagex's original intentions for the items. Please, don't try to argue that there isn't a problem, as I think this topic is approaching the problem that Jagex perceives, not that the community as a whole sees.

no. the "community" (read: rare haters) are perceiving a problem where Jagex have recognized that what they in the past would call the "mistake" of retired items fills a niche they otherwise wouldn't fulfill. I haven't seen anyone at Jagex advocate the need for a change, other than when the items were released (which is obviously now too late).

there is no problem.

The quote you posted is nice, but doesn't mean they see it as a problem. They have also stated that in an MMO as big as runescape, with maybe millions of players, things are bound to get uses they didn't have intentionally and that they are fine with it, because that's how this game works. You can't take that quote you posted and go claiming that there is a problem.

Also, the suggestion of introducing of items that can be bought to represent a certain value seems pointless to me. Why invest your money in these items, which will always have the same GE value, when you can invest it in other items. The items don't even have to be rares, but can be high end items such as Spirit Shields.

I'm fairly certain that when your suggestions would be implemented, items such as spirit shields and 3rd age will be hoarded even more than they are now because people will invest in these items, and not in some ticket worth a set amount of money.

On a side note; I don't see a problem with rares. The overpriced rare martket is used to stabilize the underpriced junk market. If the GE would work properly and every item would have the worth it should have, rares wouldn't even be able to be above the GE price. So IMO Jagex should focus on the GE, and not on the rares.

nekusig2fcopy.jpg

There are three sides to every story: There's one side, there's the other, and there's the truth.

nachalo

No. No. And no. Even if this would have been a good idea, which it isn't, Jagex would never change something that happened for several years ago. This is the way it have worked and to remove the holiday items and rare now would both be stupid, upset a whole lot of people (Perhaps not as many as the removing of Wildy did, but anyway) and it would probably also damage the economy.

So no.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Nachalo

No, just no, it would just switch the scope of attention to people who had rares to other items, for example godswords, I'm sure those would go up 50% in value because these rich merchants don't have anything else to invest in anymore. In my opinion this would be a stupid idea because all items which are a bit rare (Spirit shields, Godswords, Animal Masks, 3rd age etc.) would skyrocket and would be the new rares, and also F2P wouldn't have anything to invest in anymore.

Konets

sig312.png

angel2w.gif

Why the hell does everybody post:

Nachalo

... [your post] ?

Ontopic: Removing rares just isn't an option anymore. A great way to remove experienced players from the game tough! They have become to much part of the economy. If they ever wanted to remove the rares, they should have done prior to the GE. Now they are part, integrated in common day economies. Their worth is just to much. Cash them in and you get hyperinflation. Remove them, lose a large player-base and create an extremely unstable market which will just push towards new ''rares''. Jagex has fixed the whole mint-cake thing and slowly the Wergali (unf) is decreasing. As I see it now, the market is quite stable. Rares are for the rich ones. Everyone else can spend their money on different things. No problem at all.

34eyfbd.jpg9h43sp.jpg16m28ty.jpg

nachalo

I agree with this. If it had been implemented when you suggested it we would have seen much less inflation than if it was currently done. If we wait longer, more inflation would only occur. Another case where a good idea should not be left to sit, but rather be acted on as soon as possible. Most kids nowadays have them for the cash value, and not their original purpose. Jagex killed the wilderness, killed free trade, but is too scared to act upon this?

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

Hurr im a durr.

Derp, Tl;dr. Whats this thread about?

I dont want to devalue hoiday rares, although i'd really like to have those buneny ears. Hurr.. :twss:

nachalo

i understand that you wish to help those who didn't hav a chance at getting the older items be satisfied....but you just can't satisfy everyone. its physically impossible. the point of these holiday items is to MARK THOSE WHO PLAYED AT THAT TIME. the reason jagex let people get music was because not getting those previous songs can hinder their chances of getting the air guitar emote. the reason jagex let people get the holiday emotes was because there would always be a daunting spot in ur emotes section that would remain gray(or grey) forever. giving items meant for people who played in 2000 to people who started playing in 2007 is similar to the arguments between the social high school caste system. in my school, seniors are excempt from their finals (end of year testing) if they get A's on their tests. all other grades must take their finals irregardless. this holiday event situation is similar to that because you wouldnt give a freshman those privelages being that they just got there. the seniors have been their prior and can afford that reward. similar to the holiday items. new players shouldn't be able to get the same privelages of older holiday items than veteran players. it's just a way of life.....imo.

lucario.jpg

2w30t2a.png

beethovens29.png