Holiday Musings and a permanent solution to rares

Jard_Y_Dooku

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nachano (forgot word while reading)

One way they could give out past rares (untradeable) without upsetting the balance too much, would add a time limit to how long you have played, For example, have yur account active for 5 years to attain scythe, 4 years for bunny ears etc. Or maybe 5 years and then you get ALL items?

like this one. i dont think a person deserves bunny ears for attending easter 09 if he made the account in jan. 09

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

Nachalo.

I think it's a stupid idea to give all people access to all the previous items/emotes. I like to have some sort of exlusiveness as opposed to all these new people that joined. It's some kind of veteran thing to have a scyte and/or bunny ears. Making it accessible to every freakin new member will make it totally loose it's appeal.

I do agree that the partyhats, masks, santa's and other discontinued items didn't go as Jagex intended it to be. I wouldnt really care if they got removed and the player get refunded.

However, handing out bunny ears to everybody, just to please the jealous newbs who only joined a few months ago. A big no.

Nachalo.

I think it's a stupid idea to give all people access to all the previous items/emotes. I like to have some sort of exlusiveness as opposed to all these new people that joined. It's some kind of veteran thing to have a scyte and/or bunny ears. Making it accessible to every freakin new member will make it totally loose it's appeal.

I do agree that the partyhats, masks, santa's and other discontinued items didn't go as Jagex intended it to be. I wouldnt really care if they got removed and the player get refunded.

However, handing out bunny ears to everybody, just to please the jealous newbs who only joined a few months ago. A big no.

agree...but the time playing should be taken into consideration...but giving bunnys to a lvl 3 who made his acc in 09 is a big no no no

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

Nachos- or whatever I was supposed to say

I could see the non tradeable items being made avalable again, but the rare tradeables? Even if Jagex didn't intend for items to become rare, they still did. Punishing those with rares to make everything equal for all players seems a little overboard.

What about replicas? What if Jagex offered a "reprint" item on a holiday event? The item would remain untradeable, and would look like the original, but the name would change to (for example) Santa Hat Re-issue.

Nachalokonets

I support, 100%. The large GP influx from the people with rares might be a problem. But then again it would be pretty unfair for the people who worked for their party hats to just lose them all of a sudden. I think you should post this on the RSOF, since apparently Jagex actually reads it now :P

wl7w9j.png

I could see the non tradeable items being made avalable again, but the rare tradeables? Even if Jagex didn't intend for items to become rare, they still did. Punishing those with rares to make everything equal for all players seems a little overboard.

What about replicas? What if Jagex offered a "reprint" item on a holiday event? The item would remain untradeable, and would look like the original, but the name would change to (for example) Santa Hat Re-issue.

why would people buy an expensive item if theres a free version that LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME

irl ex-would you buy a car for 25k thats brand new or a remake of it (exact same "stats" and still brand new) for free?

you be the judge

1100 total achieved 03/02/09 880thousandth to reach it :P

1200 total achieved 29/09/11 1.23millionth to reach it :P

awesome_600.png

nachalo (Did you intend for Russian?)

To be honest this sounds like a whining noob that just wants everything.

No I am not trying to insult I am stating it flat out.

Look I love my Rubber Chicken and my Yo-Yo they are somethings to remind me of when I played RS long ago before my 3 year retirement. Honestly You are trying to stir the waters more then anything. I can understand the want for the items but they are a sign that I have worked harder then the lvl 50 standing next to me with only a snow globe and a santa suit.

Music is different, you can't "wield" music and even without the holiday themes you do not need them for the emote. No one would be satisfied with this because everyone invested differently. People spent millions upon millions for these items and honestly that was their right. You would have to go into every bank and search them out then pay out the GE value x3 or more because of how Junk Trading has crashed values.

Look at it this way. Say you spent hours upon hours completing a complicated set of treasure trails, and each time you were lucky enough to grab two 3rd age items. Now what if you held them for a few days to make yourself feel as proud as you should be and give you the chance to show off should you want to. Then as you start to sell them Jagex announces that 3rd age will now be a prize for lvl 1 clues. The price crashes and now you have nothing more then some shiny, slightly difficult to get, armor.

The bottom line is there is no way this will happen, no way it is viable, and is simply the same argument people that never worked or played when this was available. I was gone during the time of the Chicken Suit, do I wish I had it? Yes. Do I deserve it? Not in the least!

Stupid.png

Look at it this way. Say you spent hours upon hours completing a complicated set of treasure trails, and each time you were lucky enough to grab two 3rd age items. Now what if you held them for a few days to make yourself feel as proud as you should be and give you the chance to show off should you want to. Then as you start to sell them Jagex announces that 3rd age will now be a prize for lvl 1 clues. The price crashes and now you have nothing more then some shiny, slightly difficult to get, armor.

If Jagex DID put 3rd age into level 1 clues, that wouldn't make it any easier to get don't you think? If anything, I'd make it ever RARER from level 1's.

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

To be honest this sounds like a whining noob that just wants everything.

No I am not trying to insult I am stating it flat out.

Look I love my Rubber Chicken and my Yo-Yo they are somethings to remind me of when I played RS long ago before my 3 year retirement. Honestly You are trying to stir the waters more then anything. I can understand the want for the items but they are a sign that I have worked harder then the lvl 50 standing next to me with only a snow globe and a santa suit.

Music is different, you can't "wield" music and even without the holiday themes you do not need them for the emote. No one would be satisfied with this because everyone invested differently. People spent millions upon millions for these items and honestly that was their right. You would have to go into every bank and search them out then pay out the GE value x3 or more because of how Junk Trading has crashed values.

The bottom line is there is no way this will happen, no way it is viable, and is simply the same argument people that never worked or played when this was available. I was gone during the time of the Chicken Suit, do I wish I had it? Yes. Do I deserve it? Not in the least!

My thoughts exactly. I have played on an off since I believe the reindeer hat came out. I have some of the holiday items (chicken costume, hood, santa suit, maybe another), but I missed out on the cornucopia, cape, and of course all that came before. While I think some things are Uber cool, such as the Easter Ring, I know I wasn't around, and I'm cool with it. As for the tradable rares, I have 1, Green H'ween, cheapest of the wearable wears. Being f2p, I take pride that I was able to get it considering the limitations of f2p and the fact that f2p doesn't really have many shinies (understandable, but take away rares and the most valuable item I think would be a Corrupt Dragon Battleaxe based off of GE prices). At risk of sounding like a pixel hugger, I'd hazard the guess that a good number of people like and wear their discontinued items precisely because they are rare/discontinued. It is an accepted fact that in most MMORPGS, those who started earlier usually have an edge, be it in shinies, stats, whathaveyou. Having joined late to at least one MMORPG, of course I would love having that rare mount/item/title/toy that older players had, but would rather not take away their value for others.

The cash compensation is an interesting idea, but in my eyes would simply lead to massive amounts of inflation and likely other detrimental effects.

why would people buy an expensive item if theres a free version that LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME

irl ex-would you buy a car for 25k thats brand new or a remake of it (exact same "stats" and still brand new) for free?

you be the judge

Well, if cars were free, I'd probably take the free one. However, here's a different irl example- comic books. I will never own Action Comics #1, but DC Comics issues a reprint every so often. If I buy the reprint for small money, does that make the the original any less desirable?

nachalo.

im leaning more towards Frzphnx but in a more....yeah right tone.

i think this is silly. all of it.

rs is not a world of equal opportunity and it dam sure doesnt run on any kind of civil rights act. jagex makes things work and right now its not broken? this sounds like a "i didnt have time" rant. all of these items, emotes, and music were prettttttty easy to obtain if you were playing at the time. you wanna take away somthing that stands for how long ive been playing because you dont have it...? no-no my friend, your wrong just because you dont care that it stands for somthing like how wealthy or how long you have been playing. well some people do care. they can take away the wild for a greater cause, but giving somthing to some 1 because they are whiny isnt a greater cause. you snooze on it you loose it thats how rs works. like i said this isnt a land of equal opportunity and if it was then all drops should be the same too right? they made coinshare so stfu.

3rd age would shoot up so high

not only that imagine the rise of any treasure trail item thats going up. id be in heaven. matter of fact lets actually support this idea everyone :thumbup: i

i can see it now just total chaos.

Nachalokonets

I support, 100%. The large GP influx from the people with rares might be a problem. But then again it would be pretty unfair for the people who worked for their party hats to just lose them all of a sudden. I think you should post this on the RSOF, since apparently Jagex actually reads it now :P

and do you REALLY think something as big as removing all rares couldnt deserve bringing in a large amount of gp?

anyway one of the dumbest ideas out there, bunny ears and scythes are the bigger problem, impossible to get if you didnt play, thats the definition of unfair right there, yes i have a scythe too.

Bbc_3.gif

4000000657th to 99 cookin

555555406th to 99 flethcin

Nachalo, was it?

you be the judge

Well, if cars were free, I'd probably take the free one. However, here's a different irl example- comic books. I will never own Action Comics #1, but DC Comics issues a reprint every so often. If I buy the reprint for small money, does that make the the original any less desirable?

Exactly. Also, your comparison is more accurate than the Car one.

These are items that are a status symbol, nothing more. They have no use other than that.

I'd have suggested rereleasing the items, but different in some way. For example: The Yo-Yo could be some color other than yellow, the Scythe could be Gray or Black, Partyhats could be Pink (I know that existed already), Dark Green, Sky Blue, Orange, Gray, and Black, and the Santa Hat could come with a white Beard or Long white hair.

Removing them at this stage would be quite damaging to the economy. Let the newer players get their copies, let the older/richer players trade their originals.

Konets (?)

The biggest problem I see with those who disagree is that you think these old holiday items give some sort of "advantage" to older players. They don't. Us older players can get advantages through levels and wealth.

The main point is that everyone should be able to achieve the same thing through hard work, not having been in the right place at the right time, and not through their own choices or intelligence, but because the pieces just happened to fall into place that way.

I have higher levels than most of you because I spent more time working on them. Does this mean that because I started working on Prayer 2 years ago, that I should be able to have the skill cape, but since you just started two weeks ago, you shouldn't be able to get it? No, we should both have the same opportunity to obtain a Prayer skill cape. I don't have a Prayer skill cape because I started earlier on in the game than you... I have one because I worked longer and harder at it. This should be the same for all items, and in fact, every achievement in the game.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

The biggest problem I see with those who disagree is that you think these old holiday items give some sort of "advantage" to older players. They don't. Us older players can get advantages through levels and wealth.

The main point is that everyone should be able to achieve the same thing through hard work, not having been in the right place at the right time, and not through their own choices or intelligence, but because the pieces just happened to fall into place that way.

I have higher levels than most of you because I spent more time working on them. Does this mean that because I started working on Prayer 2 years ago, that I should be able to have the skill cape, but since you just started two weeks ago, you shouldn't be able to get it? No, we should both have the same opportunity to obtain a Prayer skill cape. I don't have a Prayer skill cape because I started earlier on in the game than you... I have one because I worked longer and harder at it. This should be the same for all items, and in fact, every achievement in the game.

The tradable rares already fit that, via cost to obtain. As for the nontradable ones, lots of things happen/come to pass to people that are just in the right place at the right time in real life, other games, etc. Fairness in all things isn't necessarily a right in life.

Could do what WoW did, make discontinued/seasonal achievements not count towards achievement points, whereas other achievements do, but RS isn't WoW, and I would have no idea how to implement such a thing.

Nachalo.

I agree with the general idea, for reasons I will not mention. It's not like Jagex will agree and randomly go through with this. I am sure they have considered many similar ideas over the years. If the rares are not gone now they likely never will be. You could say "ohh but that's what Joe Blow said about pking", but pking was a method of RWT. This is not.

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

nachalo.

ill try to reply to your entire post in order.

at emote topic, people complained because they couldnt get them so they got them, nobody lost anything from it.

at scythe one, i couldnt care if ALL the untradeable items can be recieved from diango, i didnt get bunny ears but i have a scythe, and at the sametime this is nothing compared to your dumbest suggestion about partyhats.

this is the part which confused me, the wilderness topic, you put it in caps like it made sense, pvp and bounty hunter will NEVER replace the wilderness, the wilderness was perfect, you can have that odd day where you might want to pk and just go out and kill someone, it was beautiful, you cant replace it.

it was removed for rwt which would have been a huge problem for credit card fraud that jagex was having.

? what are partyhats doing to hurt you, they are not even rising like they used to when stakers and pkers got removed, they were the ones giving the demand for partyhats, rares are currently DROPPING, if you hate them so much, WAIT, they will drop low enough until people of skiller status will begin to buy them, when they hit that bottom low then you can hate partyhats again.

dont ever say WE got over it, you and the people who couldnt pk got over it.

i wont talk about the people who bought partyhats for 600mil+ because that doesnt effect the economy much, but a large amount of them are out there.

original idea is also dumb, jagex wants things to be a certain way for runescapers all the time, cant count the amount of BAD updates out there that people hate, which is ALSO the ORIGINAL idea.

you were never a pker and never will be? that explains it lol.

since when did EVERYONE get over it though?

90% of pkers and stakers quit, even my friend who was a complete SKILLER and had a nooby little pker account he had for fun couldnt picture the game without the wilderness and quit, never saw him again.

your a high level and suggesting it? high levels have a set of bandos and a few godswords, since when do you care about rares?

i laughed at this part too where you compared rs to real life, theres paintings IN REAL LIFE, that sell for 100mil+, by famous painters, so yes, useless things can be sold in real life, by people who demand them of course, because they are rare, real life paintings are even more useless than tissue paper, good one.

but even ill excuse that one, just showing you how desperate you are and your true hatred for rares.

this is the part where i was also confused, you were willing to give people, zero gp for their rares, LMFAO!!

its not even the partyhats that are the problem, i cant tell you how many people have 100s of santas and mask sets on their acc, if you gave them all cash for that, say goodbye to cheap armor and weapons, but this is what you want isnt it? you already have your sexy pair of bandos and armadyl godsword.

oh your not much of an economist, that explains it, im guessing you also hate junk too right? the only freedom trading has left right? want junk removed so that jagex is in full control of rs? lmfao.

removal of rares would make 3rd age, spirit shields, anything that is rare but not discontinued, shoot up in price, plus merchants with decent combat stats would buy combat items, and some of them might go for 99 in skills not caring how they raise it or the price of it, that is expected anyway, it would be a short term boost for the economy, because obviously it wont be going on forever, prices would shoot up in every item on the ge for a few weeks, then that would be it, most of the items would then take a 90 degree turn going down on the ge and probably reach lower than before, but then 3rd age and godswords would be much higher than before also, thats just what you want, perfect for you.

repeat this again? lmfao, they removed wilderness so that runescape could continue, credit fraud would have destroyed the game.

rares are not a problem atm, 3rd age is.

tell me when you learn about the economy so you can make a better post.

konets

Bbc_3.gif

4000000657th to 99 cookin

555555406th to 99 flethcin

halonachos yum.

ok then go get your levels and leave the items alone GEEEEEZ. why cant you just state the fact that some items stand for a simple born date and you cant admit that you werent around when others were.

nachalo.

ill try to reply to your entire post in order.

at emote topic, people complained because they couldnt get them so they got them, nobody lost anything from it.

at scythe one, i couldnt care if ALL the untradeable items can be recieved from diango, i didnt get bunny ears but i have a scythe, and at the sametime this is nothing compared to your dumbest suggestion about partyhats.

this is the part which confused me, the wilderness topic, you put it in caps like it made sense, pvp and bounty hunter will NEVER replace the wilderness, the wilderness was perfect, you can have that odd day where you might want to pk and just go out and kill someone, it was beautiful, you cant replace it.

it was removed for rwt which would have been a huge problem for credit card fraud that jagex was having.

? what are partyhats doing to hurt you, they are not even rising like they used to when stakers and pkers got removed, they were the ones giving the demand for partyhats, rares are currently DROPPING, if you hate them so much, WAIT, they will drop low enough until people of skiller status will begin to buy them, when they hit that bottom low then you can hate partyhats again.

dont ever say WE got over it, you and the people who couldnt pk got over it.

i wont talk about the people who bought partyhats for 600mil+ because that doesnt effect the economy much, but a large amount of them are out there.

original idea is also dumb, jagex wants things to be a certain way for runescapers all the time, cant count the amount of BAD updates out there that people hate, which is ALSO the ORIGINAL idea.

you were never a pker and never will be? that explains it lol.

since when did EVERYONE get over it though?

90% of pkers and stakers quit, even my friend who was a complete SKILLER and had a nooby little pker account he had for fun couldnt picture the game without the wilderness and quit, never saw him again.

your a high level and suggesting it? high levels have a set of bandos and a few godswords, since when do you care about rares?

i laughed at this part too where you compared rs to real life, theres paintings IN REAL LIFE, that sell for 100mil+, by famous painters, so yes, useless things can be sold in real life, by people who demand them of course, because they are rare, real life paintings are even more useless than tissue paper, good one.

but even ill excuse that one, just showing you how desperate you are and your true hatred for rares.

this is the part where i was also confused, you were willing to give people, zero gp for their rares, LMFAO!!

its not even the partyhats that are the problem, i cant tell you how many people have 100s of santas and mask sets on their acc, if you gave them all cash for that, say goodbye to cheap armor and weapons, but this is what you want isnt it? you already have your sexy pair of bandos and armadyl godsword.

oh your not much of an economist, that explains it, im guessing you also hate junk too right? the only freedom trading has left right? want junk removed so that jagex is in full control of rs? lmfao.

removal of rares would make 3rd age, spirit shields, anything that is rare but not discontinued, shoot up in price, plus merchants with decent combat stats would buy combat items, and some of them might go for 99 in skills not caring how they raise it or the price of it, that is expected anyway, it would be a short term boost for the economy, because obviously it wont be going on forever, prices would shoot up in every item on the ge for a few weeks, then that would be it, most of the items would then take a 90 degree turn going down on the ge and probably reach lower than before, but then 3rd age and godswords would be much higher than before also, thats just what you want, perfect for you.

repeat this again? lmfao, they removed wilderness so that runescape could continue, credit fraud would have destroyed the game.

rares are not a problem atm, 3rd age is.

tell me when you learn about the economy so you can make a better post.

konets

Though I disagree with you, thank you for reading the entire post.

halonachos yum.

ok then go get your levels and leave the items alone GEEEEEZ. why cant you just state the fact that some items stand for a simple born date and you cant admit that you werent around when others were.

Who says I wasn't around? I'm complaining that the system is unfair for everyone.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.