Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Holiday Musings and a permanent solution to rares

• Please log in to reply
389 replies to this topic

ixfd64
[ Display Name History ]

ixfd64

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,299 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Semi-Retired
  • RSN:ixfd64
  • RSN2:ixfd64 rs2
nachalo, konets

I agree with Jard_Y_Dooku - it is rather unfair that a player could not get a certain holiday item (tradable or untradable) just because they joined too late. As you said, the problem with the untradable holiday items can be easily solved. However, making such a large change to the tradable items could be problematic and it will upset many players whether Jagex compensates them or not.

Another idea is to make the tradable items rare monster drops or mini-game rewards, and when I say rare, I mean extremely rare. For example, the Chaos Elemental could have a 1/50000 chance of dropping a party hat or Mandrith might have a 1/100000 chance of giving that lucky PKer a santa hat while giving them their cash reward. There would be a constant supply of them, but the price would not change much.
ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer
ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

mario_sunny
[ Display Name History ]

mario_sunny

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,412 posts

nochalo

Honestly this is such a good idea and I think it would really mend the terrible problem of rares that has plagued runescape for so long.

A solution to fix the inflation problem: Jagex could introduce a skill, expand a skill (perhaps construction), or do something else to erase the the gp equal to the amount they they would have to pay players.

Also there is another problem, what about the people with multiple phats? Isn't the maximum amount of coins you can have in the game something like 1.2B? That means with people with 10 blue phats would not get their full amount of coins for their holiday items... it would stop at 1.2B.

What do rares have to do with inflation? Really now? They were not the cause of inflation. The cause of inflation was autoers being removed from the game, removing a LARGE supply of materials from the game in a matter of months. Added onto the fact that the GE initially had a lot of incorrect prices for items which still haven't been corrected, and there you go.

Lol. I'm talking about AFTER jagex replaces holiday items with coins. There will be billions of coins entering the economy... I suggested three ways to get rid of all of it.
Posted Image
By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

Kimberly
[ Display Name History ]

Kimberly

Retired Staff

• Members
  • 12,325 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Kimberly
  • RSN2:Dorelei
In that case, there's no solution for GP-compensation. Sure, you can create gold-sinks...but unless participation is MANDITORY, you'll have some gold not absorbed.

It's overall not a viable solution. If you were to really "solve" anything based on Jard's original argument, making them untradeable/delete them would be the only "solution".

Of course, that's only if you think that rares are "broken" to begin with. :roll:

hzvjpwS.gif

Mike_Ike111
[ Display Name History ]

Mike_Ike111

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,492 posts
  • RSN:Old Granny

Imagine selling toy paper hats for millions of rubles/dollars/yen/whatever. It would be stupid.

Imagine selling extremely rare, extremely old, and extremely useless pieces of art for hundreds of millions of dollars. Or are they useless? They aren't because they hold sentimental value. They show history. They show dedication and time spent, as the years go by, holding on to these old pieces of art.

The truth is, Party Hats happen in the real world. No one complains. How would you like to have a rare, old wardrobe designed by some famous guy who is probably dead? What if each and every government got together and decided to destroy each and every item in the world that can not be made any more.
Posted Image

Danqazmlp
[ Display Name History ]

Danqazmlp

To Ass!

• Members
  • 8,492 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Danqazmlp
Nachano (forgot word while reading)

One way they could give out past rares (untradeable) without upsetting the balance too much, would add a time limit to how long you have played, For example, have yur account active for 5 years to attain scythe, 4 years for bunny ears etc. Or maybe 5 years and then you get ALL items?

On the tradeable rares, i do like the idea of giving the gp value, but it would put so much gp into the economy as it is.
Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!
Posted Image
Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

SlayerMalk
[ Display Name History ]

SlayerMalk

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 727 posts
so in a sense the people who real world traded to get party hats would get about 80mil + for doing nothing. plus people would start doing what they did before alc p hats to [bleep]e price because supply is limited it needs work but that would make the rs economy quite unstable
Posted Image

Poppet
[ Display Name History ]

Poppet

Varrock Guard

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  • RSN:Poppet
Just keep tradeables the same and untradeables be able to get if you have played for a certain amount of time or skill level etc. don't just give everyone a great thing unless they deserve it.
76561198012301951.png

Atom Smash40
[ Display Name History ]

Atom Smash40

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
  • RSN:Atom Smash40
  • RSN2:Gorgeous War

Nachano (forgot word while reading)

One way they could give out past rares (untradeable) without upsetting the balance too much, would add a time limit to how long you have played, For example, have yur account active for 5 years to attain scythe, 4 years for bunny ears etc. Or maybe 5 years and then you get ALL items?

like this one. i dont think a person deserves bunny ears for attending easter 09 if he made the account in jan. 09

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

bedman
[ Display Name History ]

bedman

Ice Giant Melter

• Members
  • 4,774 posts
  • RSN:bedman
Nachalo.

I think it's a stupid idea to give all people access to all the previous items/emotes. I like to have some sort of exlusiveness as opposed to all these new people that joined. It's some kind of veteran thing to have a scyte and/or bunny ears. Making it accessible to every freakin new member will make it totally loose it's appeal.

I do agree that the partyhats, masks, santa's and other discontinued items didn't go as Jagex intended it to be. I wouldnt really care if they got removed and the player get refunded.

However, handing out bunny ears to everybody, just to please the jealous newbs who only joined a few months ago. A big no.

Atom Smash40
[ Display Name History ]

Atom Smash40

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,250 posts
  • RSN:Atom Smash40
  • RSN2:Gorgeous War

Nachalo.

I think it's a stupid idea to give all people access to all the previous items/emotes. I like to have some sort of exlusiveness as opposed to all these new people that joined. It's some kind of veteran thing to have a scyte and/or bunny ears. Making it accessible to every freakin new member will make it totally loose it's appeal.

I do agree that the partyhats, masks, santa's and other discontinued items didn't go as Jagex intended it to be. I wouldnt really care if they got removed and the player get refunded.

However, handing out bunny ears to everybody, just to please the jealous newbs who only joined a few months ago. A big no.

agree...but the time playing should be taken into consideration...but giving bunnys to a lvl 3 who made his acc in 09 is a big no no no

modmarkl.jpg
~ 3,072nd to 99 Mining on August 30th, 2009 ~
~ 112,084th to 99 Magic on April 16th, 2011 ~

~ 131,681st to 99 Crafting on March 29, 2019 ~

~ 178,385th to 99 Prayer on April 2, 2019 ~

~ 234,921st to 99 Defence on May 9, 2019 ~

~ 173,480th to 99 Herblore on June 21, 2019 ~

~ 155,160th to 99 Smithing on July 16, 2019 ~

awesome400
[ Display Name History ]

awesome400

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Awesome_600
nachalo...

what about people who have more than the gp cap? do they get penalized for being rich?
1100 total achieved 03/02/09 880thousandth to reach it :P
1200 total achieved 29/09/11 1.23millionth to reach it :P

mikeg0477
[ Display Name History ]

mikeg0477

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • RSN:Boston Tours
  • Clan:Bassmasters
Nachos- or whatever I was supposed to say

I could see the non tradeable items being made avalable again, but the rare tradeables? Even if Jagex didn't intend for items to become rare, they still did. Punishing those with rares to make everything equal for all players seems a little overboard.

What about replicas? What if Jagex offered a "reprint" item on a holiday event? The item would remain untradeable, and would look like the original, but the name would change to (for example) Santa Hat Re-issue.

rangeor
[ Display Name History ]

rangeor

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,948 posts
  • RSN:Range 0r
  • Clan:SODB
Nachalokonets

I support, 100%. The large GP influx from the people with rares might be a problem. But then again it would be pretty unfair for the people who worked for their party hats to just lose them all of a sudden. I think you should post this on the RSOF, since apparently Jagex actually reads it now :P
Posted Image

awesome400
[ Display Name History ]

awesome400

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 931 posts
  • RSN:Awesome_600

I could see the non tradeable items being made avalable again, but the rare tradeables? Even if Jagex didn't intend for items to become rare, they still did. Punishing those with rares to make everything equal for all players seems a little overboard.

What about replicas? What if Jagex offered a "reprint" item on a holiday event? The item would remain untradeable, and would look like the original, but the name would change to (for example) Santa Hat Re-issue.

why would people buy an expensive item if theres a free version that LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME

irl ex-would you buy a car for 25k thats brand new or a remake of it (exact same "stats" and still brand new) for free?

you be the judge
1100 total achieved 03/02/09 880thousandth to reach it :P
1200 total achieved 29/09/11 1.23millionth to reach it :P

OutwarDragon
[ Display Name History ]

OutwarDragon

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 65 posts
nachalo (Did you intend for Russian?)

To be honest this sounds like a whining noob that just wants everything.

No I am not trying to insult I am stating it flat out.

Look I love my Rubber Chicken and my Yo-Yo they are somethings to remind me of when I played RS long ago before my 3 year retirement. Honestly You are trying to stir the waters more then anything. I can understand the want for the items but they are a sign that I have worked harder then the lvl 50 standing next to me with only a snow globe and a santa suit.

Music is different, you can't "wield" music and even without the holiday themes you do not need them for the emote. No one would be satisfied with this because everyone invested differently. People spent millions upon millions for these items and honestly that was their right. You would have to go into every bank and search them out then pay out the GE value x3 or more because of how Junk Trading has crashed values.

Look at it this way. Say you spent hours upon hours completing a complicated set of treasure trails, and each time you were lucky enough to grab two 3rd age items. Now what if you held them for a few days to make yourself feel as proud as you should be and give you the chance to show off should you want to. Then as you start to sell them Jagex announces that 3rd age will now be a prize for lvl 1 clues. The price crashes and now you have nothing more then some shiny, slightly difficult to get, armor.

The bottom line is there is no way this will happen, no way it is viable, and is simply the same argument people that never worked or played when this was available. I was gone during the time of the Chicken Suit, do I wish I had it? Yes. Do I deserve it? Not in the least!
Posted Image

Dean Ambrose
[ Display Name History ]

Dean Ambrose

Scorpion Pit

• Members
  • 735 posts
  • RSN:Dean Ambrose
  • RSN '07:Brad Maddox
  • Clan:Primacy
nachalo

Nothing more to add: I like it. Would <3 to see this actually happen.

sarg1010
[ Display Name History ]

sarg1010

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,760 posts
  • RuneScape Status:Retired
  • RSN:Sarg1010
  • RSN2:Teh Sarg

Look at it this way. Say you spent hours upon hours completing a complicated set of treasure trails, and each time you were lucky enough to grab two 3rd age items. Now what if you held them for a few days to make yourself feel as proud as you should be and give you the chance to show off should you want to. Then as you start to sell them Jagex announces that 3rd age will now be a prize for lvl 1 clues. The price crashes and now you have nothing more then some shiny, slightly difficult to get, armor.

If Jagex DID put 3rd age into level 1 clues, that wouldn't make it any easier to get don't you think? If anything, I'd make it ever RARER from level 1's.

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

Frzphnx
[ Display Name History ]

Frzphnx

Goblin Armour

• Members
  • 102 posts

To be honest this sounds like a whining noob that just wants everything.

No I am not trying to insult I am stating it flat out.

Look I love my Rubber Chicken and my Yo-Yo they are somethings to remind me of when I played RS long ago before my 3 year retirement. Honestly You are trying to stir the waters more then anything. I can understand the want for the items but they are a sign that I have worked harder then the lvl 50 standing next to me with only a snow globe and a santa suit.

Music is different, you can't "wield" music and even without the holiday themes you do not need them for the emote. No one would be satisfied with this because everyone invested differently. People spent millions upon millions for these items and honestly that was their right. You would have to go into every bank and search them out then pay out the GE value x3 or more because of how Junk Trading has crashed values.

The bottom line is there is no way this will happen, no way it is viable, and is simply the same argument people that never worked or played when this was available. I was gone during the time of the Chicken Suit, do I wish I had it? Yes. Do I deserve it? Not in the least!

My thoughts exactly. I have played on an off since I believe the reindeer hat came out. I have some of the holiday items (chicken costume, hood, santa suit, maybe another), but I missed out on the cornucopia, cape, and of course all that came before. While I think some things are Uber cool, such as the Easter Ring, I know I wasn't around, and I'm cool with it. As for the tradable rares, I have 1, Green H'ween, cheapest of the wearable wears. Being f2p, I take pride that I was able to get it considering the limitations of f2p and the fact that f2p doesn't really have many shinies (understandable, but take away rares and the most valuable item I think would be a Corrupt Dragon Battleaxe based off of GE prices). At risk of sounding like a pixel hugger, I'd hazard the guess that a good number of people like and wear their discontinued items precisely because they are rare/discontinued. It is an accepted fact that in most MMORPGS, those who started earlier usually have an edge, be it in shinies, stats, whathaveyou. Having joined late to at least one MMORPG, of course I would love having that rare mount/item/title/toy that older players had, but would rather not take away their value for others.

The cash compensation is an interesting idea, but in my eyes would simply lead to massive amounts of inflation and likely other detrimental effects.

mikeg0477
[ Display Name History ]

mikeg0477

Unicorn Horn

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • RSN:Boston Tours
  • Clan:Bassmasters

why would people buy an expensive item if theres a free version that LOOKS EXACTLY THE SAME

irl ex-would you buy a car for 25k thats brand new or a remake of it (exact same "stats" and still brand new) for free?

you be the judge

Well, if cars were free, I'd probably take the free one. However, here's a different irl example- comic books. I will never own Action Comics #1, but DC Comics issues a reprint every so often. If I buy the reprint for small money, does that make the the original any less desirable?

TheWilch
[ Display Name History ]

TheWilch

Dark Wizard Robe

• Members
  • 863 posts
nachalo.

im leaning more towards Frzphnx but in a more....yeah right tone.

i think this is silly. all of it.

rs is not a world of equal opportunity and it dam sure doesnt run on any kind of civil rights act. jagex makes things work and right now its not broken? this sounds like a "i didnt have time" rant. all of these items, emotes, and music were prettttttty easy to obtain if you were playing at the time. you wanna take away somthing that stands for how long ive been playing because you dont have it...? no-no my friend, your wrong just because you dont care that it stands for somthing like how wealthy or how long you have been playing. well some people do care. they can take away the wild for a greater cause, but giving somthing to some 1 because they are whiny isnt a greater cause. you snooze on it you loose it thats how rs works. like i said this isnt a land of equal opportunity and if it was then all drops should be the same too right? they made coinshare so stfu.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users