Holiday Musings and a permanent solution to rares

Jard_Y_Dooku

nachalo

1) Tradeable Rares - A huge influx of cash, huge inflation. Plus, (though this may have changed, idk) can't you have a max of like 2.17 billion gp? Some people get around this (or used to, idk) by owning partyhats and other rares. If you change the rares to cash, they would have more than the max amount and something bad could happen. Idk.

2) Non-tradeable rares - These show people how long you've been playing. I don't know about other people, but I like showing off how long I've been playing; I feel that it sort of makes up for my relatively low levels and lack of gold pieces. If everyone could get them, I'd just feel sad. :(

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thats a bad idea because rares are there for a reason. if everyone could get them, whats the point? -.- :twss: :twss: :twss: :twss: :twss: \' \' \' \' :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :boohoo: :uhh: :uhh: :uhh: :uhh:

LOL.

nachalo

I seem to replaced "tradeable rares" with "party hat" alot. But I digress

What is the purpose of a ring of stone? emote enhancers? Gnome firelighters? Gnome goggles or scarf? We don't need them either. They are about as useful as a phat, except they are not used like the phat: as a status symbol. That is the way I see the tradable discontinued items. If you have a phat, people around understand you have or have had a good deal of money or you could have a good deal of money. By replacing the party hats with money, you have destroyed a status symbol, symbolizing riches. Go to a king or queen, and replace their crown with some money, and that's effectively what this does. Then you would let diango give them out? That's horrible! Everyone would be wearing phats, then no one would be wearing phats unless they wanted to match with an outfit. You compare the party hats to toilet paper. Realize, then, that making them available to everyone makes them about as useful as used, wet toilet paper that sat in the back of your house for a few years.

Did you know: People can only have 1 ectophial

Did you know: people can have more than 1 phat?

Did you know: People can have more than 2.1 bil in phats if they have played for a long time or have a lot of cash?

Did you know: 2.1 billion is the maximum amount of money that can be had? People have this much.

Replacing the party hat with money then efficively destroys the cash people could have had with their money replaced phats. Congratulations! Following with this plan eliminates millions of gp from the economy and ticks off many people.

Let's lower the money bracket a little. There are people who really want a party hat, me included. Some of these people actually have the ability to buy a phat. Now imagine you just saved up 111.4m (GWD, DK, 200mil hunter exp, idc) and want a red phat. The game is updated soon before that, allowing everyone to get your coveted red phat. You can get that phat, but your dreams have been crushed.

Some people have played since RSC. They kept their favorite white phat, easter egg, and pumpkin. They promised never to trade it. Suddenly, these items are all mainstream. There is no point in keeping them anymore because more can be obtained.

Some people played when holiday items were dced (me included) I like my skeleton outfit, so around halloween, I wear it. Last halloween, some people wondered where I got it from, and Its because I played longer than they did. The same with the amazing ring of egg (i missed that one because I was out of the country at the time, but If I were there, it would be amazing to use at easter!) These people who have played for a while now no longer can show how long they have been playing.You may say, "Ya, but the emotes and songs are given out." The songs can only be heard by you and the emotes only last about 5 seconds, so they cannot be shown to everybody who you see, unless you want to ignore everything around you and stop what you are doing in order to show them an emote. The emotes are available to all during the event because they are not shown as well as costumes but for a few seconds.

THE WILDERNESS WAS REMOVED. THAT UPSET A LOT OF PEOPLE BUT THEY DID IT ANYWAYS FOR THE GREATER GOOD. AND WE GOT OVER IT.

Why did we get over it? Its either because there was a reason to remove it (Rwt) and people understood that, or because there were alternatives (current and future). And who is "we" anyway? I have still seen "bring Wildy back threads" I still like the old wild because of the lack of revs. I never went into the old wild but twice and the new wild thrice. I am not "over it", the people begging for the old wildy are not "over it", and the people who quit because of the lack of wild are not "over it."

What would the "greater good" be in deleting rares anyway?

Now everyone's happy, except for grumpy people who will whine that noobs can get partyhats. Well, you know what? THAT WAS THE ORIGINAL IDEA.

You work for Jagex? :o Otherwise, who are you to be telling me what the original idea was? For all we know, Jagex wanted to have 1337ly priced items. You know what I think, I think that the tradable rares were for whoever played then or wanted to give their buddies one, and the price is a side effect.

It was because of players' greed that partyhats were abused and raised to their ridiculous price.

Thus it was also the players greed that the price of a whip is abused and rose to a ridiculous price before falling. No my friend, it is the law of supply and demand. There is a limited supply of party hats, we want party hats, there is a high price of them. More people join the game, the demand increases the price of party hats rise. People with Party hats leave the game or rares or consumed, the supply goes down, the price increases.

Imagine the amount of whips in the game must equal the amount of rares in the game. All others are destroyed, but you still have a whip. Well of course you are going to give a whip for a few mil even though they cost a many millions (in this scenario), I mean, If I sold it at what it is being asked for, then I would be greedy, wouldn't I?

I'm not an economist
That explains the supply and demand thing :roll:

They are USELESS items that do absolutely nothing.

If Party hat is useless, then what does that make other "show off" items? should we make them available to everybody too? I do want a highwayman mask, a black cavalier, and a mime mask & beret.

A purple partyhat is 9m more than my Armadyl godsword.

I notice that you didn't say your purple party hat. Why is that? It seems you don't care for rares, so this may be biased for all I know.

Also, MMORPGs are games where you can be anyone; no one player should have less "opportunity" than another because they joined the game at a later date.

Its a good thing I learned about logical fallacies in english recently: Non Sequitur. That first statement had nothing to do with the second. In response to the first statement. Its not that you can be anyone, its that you can not be yourself. In responce to the second statement: why not? I joined at a later date than some people, shouldn't I be able to play on RSC? Shouldn't I be able to re experience the falador massacre, the knife glitch, the old wild, the old graphics, the glitches, the guy that made legs into skirts and vice versa (D shirt -->d legs = cash)? I think you are tellling me I should

You say the party hat is less useful than toilet paper. Therefore, you should have no problem removing all the treaure trail items and replacing them with money, would you? I mean, they have about the same use as a party hat, except are more common. Lets make an NPC hand out free TT items. I mean, come on, all you had to do was earn a few million gp or play for some years to get a party hat. How about we allow everyone to get all the quest items from an NPC without doing the quest. I bet we would all love elite black armour and Dagon'hai robes. Those ancient magics could be available from the start. Lets cut out the need to even use runes! I mean, you only have to spend like 500k or something for 60 magic, so lets let ice rush become available at level 1 magic. That should make us all even right? I don't even have enough time in life to get Ancient magic, a dark bow,a godsword, or even a party hat. Why dont we just let another NPC give out free AGSs? I mean, its only a symbol of obtaining 75 attack and being able to get 1 from GWD or buy it, just as a party hat is a symbol of having enough money to get one. Don't agree with me? Then you don't agree with Jard y dooku.

Wow, Why can't I write this much in my english stuff? :shock:

konets

Snowball997.png

Ok... Im not that good. But I have an anchor!!!

Just thought I'd post this:

http://news.runescape.com/newsitem.ws?id=6&dir=n

The Santa Hat Update my friend showed me a while ago. :lol:

Link to Forum Games signature.

[hide=TIFer Quotes]

This lack of discussion value..disturbs me.
English is the only language on this forum.

If you use another language, you need to include a traduction

bgok5jn dsgtalg

Oh wow, I hate everything -.-

Death kinda scares me.

your obsession with phallic objects shows quite clearly in your artworks.

Ffs, someone put this in their sig.

[/hide]

nachalo

First of all, I agree that rares need to go. I'm not cool with the idea that someone who happened to hoard a bunch of blue party hats a few years ago can suddenly start playing again and have a huge advantage over me for doing absolutely no work. As for the untradable items... I'm not as concerned. However, I do think that they should be available to everyone. They're just for fun! I missed the first few despite having been around since 2001. Personally, I'd like to have a rubber chicken and a yo-yo. Why deny other players the opportunity to have fun? Like the OP said, they shouldn't be penalized for not being old enough to play or for not have discovered the game. It helps to create a very elitist community.

EDIT: If this were to happen, I would like to see some sort of update that allows us to see how long we've played, and allows us to let other players know. Perhaps we can log in and choose to display that information on the high scores.

As for your idea of converted all tradable rares to gold, I think it's a great idea. A lot of the concerns seem to be that some players will lose money due to the cap, but here's my idea for fixing that:

Jagex announces that in two months, all tradable rares will be liquefied. I think two months is a reasonable amount of time. Jagex creates an NPC that will buy all rares for the value that they were the moment Jagex made the announcement. This prevents players from getting less money as rares crash and burn over the next few days/hours/minutes. This allows players to sell their items a few at a time and invest the excess gold in whatever they please until they run out of rares. Two months later, all rares are converted to gold, and players who did not take advantage of the NPC are out of luck, assuming they had an excess of rares.

konets

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

nachalo konets

Agreed

Sorry I don't have much input, but I would like to say:

The great thing about owning Bunny Ears or a Scythe is that is shows you have played RS for a good amount of time. Introducing Year Capes could solve that problem.

bike.png

Suggest a poll for Tip.it - Here!

nachalo

I seem to replaced "tradeable rares" with "party hat" alot. But I digress

What is the purpose of a ring of stone? emote enhancers? Gnome firelighters? Gnome goggles or scarf? We don't need them either. They are about as useful as a phat, except they are not used like the phat: as a status symbol. That is the way I see the tradable discontinued items. If you have a phat, people around understand you have or have had a good deal of money or you could have a good deal of money. By replacing the party hats with money, you have destroyed a status symbol, symbolizing riches. Go to a king or queen, and replace their crown with some money, and that's effectively what this does. Then you would let diango give them out? That's horrible! Everyone would be wearing phats, then no one would be wearing phats unless they wanted to match with an outfit. You compare the party hats to toilet paper. Realize, then, that making them available to everyone makes them about as useful as used, wet toilet paper that sat in the back of your house for a few years.

I am talking about HOLIDAY ITEMS here. I understand many treasure trail items are useless, but they aren't "rare" items - more can always be brought into the game which is why they are fine. Anyone who has the will and determination to work hard, can get them.

Did you know: People can only have 1 ectophial Yes

Did you know: people can have more than 1 phat? Yes

Did you know: People can have more than 2.1 bil in phats if they have played for a long time or have a lot of cash? Yes

Did you know: 2.1 billion is the maximum amount of money that can be had? People have this much. Yes

Replacing the party hat with money then efficively destroys the cash people could have had with their money replaced phats. Congratulations! Following with this plan eliminates millions of gp from the economy and ticks off many people.

As I will mention again in my reply to another poster, Jagex certainly has the capability increase the cap or implement some way of overcoming that.

Let's lower the money bracket a little. There are people who really want a party hat, me included. Some of these people actually have the ability to buy a phat. Now imagine you just saved up 111.4m (GWD, DK, 200mil hunter exp, idc) and want a red phat. The game is updated soon before that, allowing everyone to get your coveted red phat. You can get that phat, but your dreams have been crushed.

How are your dreams crushed? I'd say "FINALLY! Now I can get a party hat for free!", and then proceed to spend my cash on training skills. In my case I'd just get the party hat for the sake of having it, pop it in my costume room, and probably never take it out. I quite enjoy my random event costumes, and my lumberjack suit. Full lumberjack is EXTREMELY difficult obtain, and I am proud to be one of the few players that has it. However, I am even more glad that any player who wishes, with hard work and determination, can achieve the same as I have.

Some people have played since RSC. They kept their favorite white phat, easter egg, and pumpkin. They promised never to trade it. Suddenly, these items are all mainstream. There is no point in keeping them anymore because more can be obtained.

People keep them because they like them. What's the difference?

Some people played when holiday items were dced (me included) I like my skeleton outfit, so around halloween, I wear it. Last halloween, some people wondered where I got it from, and Its because I played longer than they did. The same with the amazing ring of egg (i missed that one because I was out of the country at the time, but If I were there, it would be amazing to use at easter!) These people who have played for a while now no longer can show how long they have been playing.You may say, "Ya, but the emotes and songs are given out." The songs can only be heard by you and the emotes only last about 5 seconds, so they cannot be shown to everybody who you see, unless you want to ignore everything around you and stop what you are doing in order to show them an emote. The emotes are available to all during the event because they are not shown as well as costumes but for a few seconds.

THE WILDERNESS WAS REMOVED. THAT UPSET A LOT OF PEOPLE BUT THEY DID IT ANYWAYS FOR THE GREATER GOOD. AND WE GOT OVER IT.

Why did we get over it? Its either because there was a reason to remove it (Rwt) and people understood that, or because there were alternatives (current and future). And who is "we" anyway? I have still seen "bring Wildy back threads" I still like the old wild because of the lack of revs. I never went into the old wild but twice and the new wild thrice. I am not "over it", the people begging for the old wildy are not "over it", and the people who quit because of the lack of wild are not "over it."

Ok, I phrased that poorly. What I mean by "we got over it" is that hundreds of thousands of people still play RuneScape, and the game is continuing on very, very well. And the implementation of my ideas wouldn't stop it.

What would the "greater good" be in deleting rares anyway?

Giving all players equal opportunity and eliminating rares' effect on the economy.

Now everyone's happy, except for grumpy people who will whine that noobs can get partyhats. Well, you know what? THAT WAS THE ORIGINAL IDEA.

You work for Jagex? :o Otherwise, who are you to be telling me what the original idea was? For all we know, Jagex wanted to have 1337ly priced items. You know what I think, I think that the tradable rares were for whoever played then or wanted to give their buddies one, and the price is a side effect.

I don't need to work for them to know that's what they intended. It's even on the Tip.It website rares page... go look.

It was because of players' greed that partyhats were abused and raised to their ridiculous price.

Thus it was also the players greed that the price of a whip is abused and rose to a ridiculous price before falling. No my friend, it is the law of supply and demand. There is a limited supply of party hats, we want party hats, there is a high price of them. More people join the game, the demand increases the price of party hats rise. People with Party hats leave the game or rares or consumed, the supply goes down, the price increases.

If players were super intelligent, we could fix the problem ourselves by high-alching all rares. Then Jagex could delete them entirely or reintroduce them as untradeable. But that isn't how society works - I'll admit I wouldn't even alch a party hat (I'd sell it), and Jagex will need to solve the rares problem for us.

Imagine the amount of whips in the game must equal the amount of rares in the game. All others are destroyed, but you still have a whip. Well of course you are going to give a whip for a few mil even though they cost a many millions (in this scenario), I mean, If I sold it at what it is being asked for, then I would be greedy, wouldn't I?

I'm not an economist
That explains the supply and demand thing :roll:

They are USELESS items that do absolutely nothing.

If Party hat is useless, then what does that make other "show off" items? should we make them available to everybody too? I do want a highwayman mask, a black cavalier, and a mime mask & beret.

Those items are hot holiday items. Useless items should have at least SOME idea of a reasonable price (TT items do), or should be untradeable.

A purple partyhat is 9m more than my Armadyl godsword.

I notice that you didn't say your purple party hat. Why is that? It seems you don't care for rares, so this may be biased for all I know.

You are correct. I think rares are stupid. Even if rares were 100k each, I wouldn't buy them because it's a waste of money for something that does nothing to improve my account. If they're free, on the other hand, I can detract from my normal activities for 5 minutes to get them all at once, and put them in my costume room to rot. My money is better spent on swords I can bash peoples' heads in with, and armor to prevent them from doing the same, than a hat that does nothing.

Also, MMORPGs are games where you can be anyone; no one player should have less "opportunity" than another because they joined the game at a later date.

Its a good thing I learned about logical fallacies in english recently: Non Sequitur. That first statement had nothing to do with the second. In response to the first statement. Its not that you can be anyone, its that you can not be yourself. In responce to the second statement: why not? I joined at a later date than some people, shouldn't I be able to play on RSC? Shouldn't I be able to re experience the falador massacre, the knife glitch, the old wild, the old graphics, the glitches, the guy that made legs into skirts and vice versa (D shirt -->d legs = cash)? I think you are tellling me I should

I'm talking about the ability to obtain in-game rewards (items & other things). None of those are achievements/rewards; they are events, experiences, etc.

You say the party hat is less useful than toilet paper. Certainly is. I can't use a partyhat to wipe - yeah Therefore, you should have no problem removing all the treaure trail items and replacing them with money, would you? I mean, they have about the same use as a party hat, except are more common. Lets make an NPC hand out free TT items. I mean, come on, all you had to do was earn a few million gp or play for some years to get a party hat. How about we allow everyone to get all the quest items from an NPC without doing the quest. I bet we would all love elite black armour and Dagon'hai robes. Those ancient magics could be available from the start. Lets cut out the need to even use runes! I mean, you only have to spend like 500k or something for 60 magic, so lets let ice rush become available at level 1 magic. That should make us all even right? I don't even have enough time in life to get Ancient magic, a dark bow,a godsword, or even a party hat. Why dont we just let another NPC give out free AGSs? I mean, its only a symbol of obtaining 75 attack and being able to get 1 from GWD or buy it, just as a party hat is a symbol of having enough money to get one. Don't agree with me? Then you don't agree with Jard y dooku.

Treasure trail items are not rare items. Runes are not rare items. Ancient magic isn't even an item. They can be freely obtained at any time, so there is no problem with them. And no, you're completely wrong about the AGS. It's not a status symbol at all. It's a useful weapon allowing you to train up to 4 skills.

Wow, Why can't I write this much in my english stuff? :shock:

konets

All in all, thank you for your thorough post. Again, I don't agree, but I am glad you took the time to read my post thoroughly and post your thoughts. I hope you appreciate that I have done the same for your post.

nachalo

First of all, I agree that rares need to go. I'm not cool with the idea that someone who happened to hoard a bunch of blue party hats a few years ago can suddenly start playing again and have a huge advantage over me for doing absolutely no work. As for the untradable items... I'm not as concerned. However, I do think that they should be available to everyone. They're just for fun! I missed the first few despite having been around since 2001. Personally, I'd like to have a rubber chicken and a yo-yo. Why deny other players the opportunity to have fun? Like the OP said, they shouldn't be penalized for not being old enough to play or for not have discovered the game. It helps to create a very elitist community.

EDIT: If this were to happen, I would like to see some sort of update that allows us to see how long we've played, and allows us to let other players know. Perhaps we can log in and choose to display that information on the high scores.

As for your idea of converted all tradable rares to gold, I think it's a great idea. A lot of the concerns seem to be that some players will lose money due to the cap, but here's my idea for fixing that:

Jagex announces that in two months, all tradable rares will be liquefied. I think two months is a reasonable amount of time. Jagex creates an NPC that will buy all rares for the value that they were the moment Jagex made the announcement. This prevents players from getting less money as rares crash and burn over the next few days/hours/minutes. This allows players to sell their items a few at a time and invest the excess gold in whatever they please until they run out of rares. Two months later, all rares are converted to gold, and players who did not take advantage of the NPC are out of luck, assuming they had an excess of rares.

konets

Or, they could just change the game to use a long instead of an int for item amounts. Then the cap would be 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 coins rather than 2,147,483,647. And I guarantee you NO ONE will ever get that much money, or that much of any item for that matter. Or they could implement certificates which can be exchanged for 1 million coins and vice versa, at any bank.

nachalo konets

Agreed

The great thing about owning Bunny Ears or a Scythe is that is shows you have played RS for a good amount of time. Introducing Year Capes could solve that problem.

No. That's not helping to remedy the problem because it would introduce another item that cannot be earned solely through hard work and dedication. I mentioned earlier that all the high scores need is an extra field, "Member since:".

xampleii2.png

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

You're an idiot this is not a major problem and anyone who thinks it is needs stabbing in the face with a spoon, sounds to me like you either just lost a Partyhat or you really want a scythe... 'For the greater good.' You make it sound as if it's an evil plan. Seriously get over it it's for your greater good.

You're an idiot this is not a major problem and anyone who thinks it is needs stabbing in the face with a spoon, sounds to me like you either just lost a Partyhat or you really want a scythe... 'For the greater good.' You make it sound as if it's an evil plan. Seriously get over it it's for your greater good.

Don't be rude. Anyone who has a different opinion than you needn't be "stabbed in the face with a spoon", they should be told that you disagree with them in a polite manner. That is how debates work.

Also, I have never had a party hat, and never will because I don't like them. And scythes are not very useful weapons, I prefer my AGS because it is more powerful. If I were able to obtain all rare items for free, they would go into my bank or my costume boxes and likely not be taken out for over 10 months at a time.

nachalo

konets

Or, they could just change the game to use a long instead of an int for item amounts. Then the cap would be 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 coins rather than 2,147,483,647. And I guarantee you NO ONE will ever get that much money, or that much of any item for that matter. Or they could implement certificates which can be exchanged for 1 million coins and vice versa, at any bank.

Your idea is much better. :) I can definitely live with that. All in all, I think Runescape would be a much better place without rares and elitist items.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

nachalo konets

Agreed

No. That's not helping to remedy the problem because it would introduce another item that cannot be earned solely through hard work and dedication. I mentioned earlier that all the high scores need is an extra field, "Member since:".

xampleii2.png

Hmm As much of a good idea that is, Year capes wouldn't cause problems (That is, to the economy)

And still, Year Capes would only be to show what year you joined; in game. No emote, just a cape with a number.

I'm sticking to my guns and saying Year Capes would be cool; we can agree to disagree on that, ya?

Don't be rude. Anyone who has a different opinion than you needn't be "stabbed in the face with a spoon", they should be told that you disagree with them in a polite manner. That is how debates work.

Also, I have never had a party hat, and never will because I don't like them. And scythes are not very useful weapons, I prefer my AGS because it is more powerful. If I were able to obtain all rare items for free, they would go into my bank or my costume boxes and likely not be taken out for over 10 months at a time.

Wow bbalking, I must say it sounds like your so against this idea for the sole reason that you own a phat (your sig). Jard called it?

Your rudeness is not welcome in these forums or the Tip.it site for that matter.

bike.png

nachalo konets

Agreed

xampleii2.png

Hmm As much of a good idea that is, Year capes wouldn't cause problems (That is, to the economy)

And still, Year Capes would only be to show what year you joined; in game. No emote, just a cape with a number.

I'm sticking to my guns and saying Year Capes would be cool; we can agree to disagree on that, ya?

Wow bbalking, I must say it sounds like your so against this idea for the sole reason that you own a phat (your sig). Jard called it?

Your rudeness is not welcome in these forums or the Tip.it site for that matter.

Hmm. I suppose Year Capes wouldn't be bad, as long as everyone can get them, and it's only one item which dynamically changes itself to show the year in which the player wearing it, joined. Wouldn't it be kind of hard to read, though?

nachalo

nachalo

The idea is interesting, but I will use the saying "don't fix what isn't broken". Certainly this solution is interesting, but not worth it in my opinion.

konets

Ah, but it is broken, which is why I'm suggesting it be fixed. As I mentioned, what has happened with rares was never meant to, thus it is broken.

That's like saying if a married couple never meant to have a baby, then it's broken and should be fixed (by killing it lol). I think I just described abortion.

That was a bad example, but, just because something was never meant to happen, doesn't mean it's broken.

The wilderness and free trade were taken out of the game to stop RTW. The system was not only broken, but encouraged cheating, scamming, "hacking", and macroing. It had to go.

The holiday items situation may be a bit sticky, but getting a reaction similar to the removal of the wilderness to fix something that I don't believe needs fixing isn't worth it.

And I disagree with you about adding a "Join Date" on the highscores, and I disagree with the people who say holiday items are enjoyed because they show how long you've been playing. Rares and holiday items are just all around cool items, and the fact that a small number of items makes them cooler. I'd rather have a rare than tell everyone to look me up on the highscores.

Good read though.

konets

f203f1850c.png

nachalo konets

Agreed

xampleii2.png

Hmm. I suppose Year Capes wouldn't be bad, as long as everyone can get them, and it's only one item which dynamically changes itself to show the year in which the player wearing it, joined. Wouldn't it be kind of hard to read, though?

FFS. Year Capes are what untradable holiday items are. The only difference is that they don't have a number on them.

And anyways, if everyone could obtain any discontinued item easily no one would want them.

If they were as rare as 3rd age, they would be the same they are right now. (rare and expensive)

If they were taken away, people would be pissed.

If they were exchanged for money, people would have nothing to spend their money on.

Stellactic.gif

nachalo

I am talking about HOLIDAY ITEMS here. I understand many treasure trail items are useless, but they aren't "rare" items - more can always be brought into the game which is why they are fine. Anyone who has the will and determination to work hard, can get them.

Anyone can work hard, save up money, and get a rare. I fail to see how you don't see this.

How are your dreams crushed? I'd say "FINALLY! Now I can get a party hat for free!", and then proceed to spend my cash on training skills.

I'd do the same thing, but I'd still feel cheated out of being able to finish my goal. Remember, people think differently than you and have different feelings.

Giving all players equal opportunity and eliminating rares' effect on the economy.

Again, every player in this game has the same opportunity to save up and buy a rare. And don't give me any crap about people who got rares a long time ago, left and came back; life isn't fair and never will be. As my english teacher would say: "Life sucks and then you die."

I don't need to work for them to know that's what they intended. It's even on the Tip.It website rares page... go look.

They were intended to be a fun item and they are. Is it any different that in order to have fun with an AGS, you have to save up to buy one or get lucky at GWD (and have a substantial cashpile to do so, anyways)?

Those items are hot holiday items. Useless items should have at least SOME idea of a reasonable price (TT items do), or should be untradeable.

And what is the definition of "reasonable" in this case? Does it not depend on who you're asking? To me, a price is "reasonable" if, at said price, owners of the item are willing to sell and people that want the item are willing to buy. I see no problem with the way rares have gone/are going price-wise.

Treasure trail items are not rare items. Runes are not rare items. Ancient magic isn't even an item. They can be freely obtained at any time, so there is no problem with them. And no, you're completely wrong about the AGS. It's not a status symbol at all. It's a useful weapon allowing you to train up to 4 skills.

No, but the principle is the same. If Jagex is to just give away a small selection of items that can currently be attained through hard work and perseverence, then why shouldn't they just give everything else away? Getting an AGS takes hard work and perseverence as does the ability to use ancients or gain experience in a skill.

konets

> SELECT * FROM users WHERE clue > 0;

0 rows returned

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

There are only 10 types of people

in this world: those who understand

binary and those who don't.

This statement is false.

$DO || ! $DO ; try

try: command not found

nachalo

As nice as this would be, not sure if someone's mentioned it yet, but the current cash cap limit would make a lot of this impossible since there are many players who have way beyond the cash cap value in items. As well, what would you have the most expensive runescape item be then? The extremely undervalued spirit shields that fetch 1b street price even though they're worth 100m on the G/E? Thousands upon thousands of players have 100m so it doesn't make sense for a mere 100m to be able to be the best possible you could go for. (Not that many people would be able to get them anyway since there's so few of em around - unlike rares which abound)

Sum it up: good intention, but not feasible.

FFS. Year Capes are what untradable holiday items are. The only difference is that they don't have a number on them.

And anyways, if everyone could obtain any discontinued item easily no one would want them.

If they were as rare as 3rd age, they would be the same they are right now. (rare and expensive)

If they were taken away, people would be pissed.

If they were exchanged for money, people would have nothing to spend their money on.

What the crap?

Why are year capes so bad, EVERYONE could get one, it's just a matter of the year you joined RS...

If someone joined RS today, their cape would have a vertical 2009 or maybe just 09'.

I'm all for this idea because yes, I joined RS back in 02' and I'm proud of it; and if Scythes/Bunny Ears where available to everyone then I'd still like something to show I'm old school (In-game, not highscores).

Sum it up: good intention, but not feasible.

Before December 2008, would you have said Jagex getting "rid" of the Wilderness was not feasible? I think so.

At this point, I think anything is feasible.

bike.png

Before December 2008, would you have said Jagex getting "rid" of the Wilderness was not feasible? I think so.

I thought it was feasible. In fact, I saw it coming, around the time Mod Mark said they were going to deal a blow to real world trading "in the coming months", and that their method would not be a wildly popular one, but necessary, and that players would have to choose between one less way to make money, and less rulebreakers.

As for this idea: No. Sounds like the whinging you'd normally hear on the RSOF from the "i dint git eester egg, i want know, wah".

The untradeable rares are supposed to be a sign of how long you've been playing, that's a blatant statement by Jagex that's been reiterated by the company multiple times in the past. They're not going to retract that because of some kid and his uneducated view on what's fair.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I have always wanted rares removed from the game.

That said, on the surface your idea sounds great, and it might work, but there are three problems it needs to overcome.

1. Inflation. Rich people routinely don't use most of their money, rather they purchase useful items, which can be, and often are, status symbols (ie rares - a van gogh painting or a 1933 US gold coin). They do this for a number of reasons, but at least one is investment potential - the rare might increase in value. Removing rares drastically decreases the available status symbols in the game, and one can reasonably expect that rich people will shift towards them (as we have no stock market or banks that pay interest). This will lead to broad inflation, and the second problem.

2. Those of us who are 85 plus slayers (99 here) have lamented the plummeting price of whips. AGS and SGS have fallen over 50% in the last year alone, and even Dclaws have reached their peak. Many lower level players enjoy buying their first 'rare' weapon or armor, but if this were to go into effect, the price of all of these items will increase. Perhaps this is 'right' or 'fair' or not. It makes no difference to me, but I can imagine that many players would be incensed to find a whip or AGS out of their price range due to the hoarding of such items by high level players. Many are also familiar with the skyrocketing animal masks, as they were pseudorares. One could expect far of this, which might also make some items hard for the majority of players to acquire. This is, what I would assume is, an unintended consequence of your program.

3. This leads to the third problem, the GP cap of 2.1b. Many players have 2.1b in GP, and party hat sets in the bank. Party hat sets are the most efficient way to store your wealth once your bank holds 2.1 GP, so many players have invested in them to augment their wealth beyond the cap. What would happen to them? If the cap is not raised they have effectively been robbed. If the cap is raised, it presents an alternative to investing in high level weapons and armor, but also opens the door to widespread general inflation due to the dramatically increasing money supply.

These are complex issues and have the potential to affect far more of the playing populace than those who own rares. Consequently, the ramifications need to be carefully assayed prior to implementation.

I have always wanted rares removed from the game.

That said, on the surface your idea sounds great, and it might work, but there are three problems it needs to overcome.

1. Inflation. Rich people routinely don't use most of their money, rather they purchase useful items, which can be, and often are, status symbols (ie rares - a van gogh painting or a 1933 US gold coin). They do this for a number of reasons, but at least one is investment potential - the rare might increase in value. Removing rares drastically decreases the available status symbols in the game, and one can reasonably expect that rich people will shift towards them (as we have no stock market or banks that pay interest). This will lead to broad inflation, and the second problem.

2. Those of us who are 85 plus slayers (99 here) have lamented the plummeting price of whips. AGS and SGS have fallen over 50% in the last year alone, and even Dclaws have reached their peak. Many lower level players enjoy buying their first 'rare' weapon or armor, but if this were to go into effect, the price of all of these items will increase. Perhaps this is 'right' or 'fair' or not. It makes no difference to me, but I can imagine that many players would be incensed to find a whip or AGS out of their price range due to the hoarding of such items by high level players. Many are also familiar with the skyrocketing animal masks, as they were pseudorares. One could expect far of this, which might also make some items hard for the majority of players to acquire. This is, what I would assume is, an unintended consequence of your program.

3. This leads to the third problem, the GP cap of 2.1b. Many players have 2.1b in GP, and party hat sets in the bank. Party hat sets are the most efficient way to store your wealth once your bank holds 2.1 GP, so many players have invested in them to augment their wealth beyond the cap. What would happen to them? If the cap is not raised they have effectively been robbed. If the cap is raised, it presents an alternative to investing in high level weapons and armor, but also opens the door to widespread general inflation due to the dramatically increasing money supply.

These are complex issues and have the potential to affect far more of the playing populace than those who own rares. Consequently, the ramifications need to be carefully assayed prior to implementation.

I like the logic of this post. However, I guess I don't quite get why the status quo needs to be disrupted? I mean, aside from personal views on fairness, what problems/issues arise from the high end, but tradable rares?

I like the logic of this post. However, I guess I don't quite get why the status quo needs to be disrupted? I mean, aside from personal views on fairness, what problems/issues arise from the high end, but tradable rares?

That's because this thread comes down to nothing more than "I don't think rares are fair so they should be removed and I should get all the nontradeables", then throwing in some irrelevant comparisons to pking, the wilderness, and other unrelated events or items.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I thought it was feasible. In fact, I saw it coming, around the time Mod Mark said they were going to deal a blow to real world trading "in the coming months", and that their method would not be a wildly popular one, but necessary, and that players would have to choose between one less way to make money, and less rulebreakers.

As for this idea: No. Sounds like the whinging you'd normally hear on the RSOF from the "i dint git eester egg, i want know, wah".

The untradeable rares are supposed to be a sign of how long you've been playing, that's a blatant statement by Jagex that's been reiterated by the company multiple times in the past. They're not going to retract that because of some kid and his uneducated view on what's fair.

Ok... what I meant is, did you ever think the wilderness would have been retired before any mod from Jagex ever gave a hint towards there action against RWT... I really doubt you or anyone else did.

har har, if this was a RSOF rant it would be full of bad grammar and zero good points. This is far from that.

Giving new Scapers untradable rares might not be what's best; but what's your thoughts on taking away from tradeable rares? Since I think that is the main theme of this topic; and you decided not to comment on that.

bike.png

nachalo

I could nitpick and say that a handful of people are still mighty sore about the Wilderness Updates (case in point: just look at the MMG thread on the RSoF), but that's neither here nor there. It's true that the RS community (and economy) can survive many things, and the end of rares is one of those things.

I've long questioned the actual purpose of rares in our game, besides the fact that Jagex just came out and said that they were for fun. It doesn't make sense how any one player gets to decide that this [ultra hyper useless] item is all of a sudden worth so many millions of GP. It does nothing; it doesn't even tell you how long you've played.

I asked around a few years back, when I knew some people that had these hats. Their general reply was that it could hold wealth for them, while earning wealth at the same time. While this is true, skills hold significantly more intrinsic value, since over time, one can make that money back tenfold.

However, I fundamentally disagree that players should be entitled to Scythes or Bunny Ears, since those actually DO tell us how long a player's been playing. Sure, it's in the name of fun, but it'd feel silly to give everyone a Scythe when they weren't around to vote for it, or Bunny Ears when their account didn't exist before Easter '03.

[before you ask: yes, mine did; no I could not log in fast enough to get the drop. I blame 56K. I do have a Scythe, though. :)]

I don't think that the merchants will like the move very much, but consider that rares fall outside of the demand bell-curve; in stark contrast to the number of people that trade items on a daily basis, the number affected will be minimal. Not to mention, they'll be compensated for their rares.

Of course, you run into a problem with the amount of GP that a player can hold, or can be stored on the servers. There's a good chance that the GP cap can't be changed due to technical reasons (don't think you can coerce an int into a long int; not due to Java, but probably due to the way they store data in Oracle), so somehow, you'll have to compensate that once a player hits the 2.1B cap; perhaps adding paper cash, where 1 note counts for between 5K-100K might alleviate that.

For those that don't think that there's another high end item to earn: there's always 3rd Age to strive for, and not to mention, it actually has uses...

konets

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.