Holiday Musings and a permanent solution to rares

Jard_Y_Dooku

Um, I would be FURIOUS if they allowed noobs to get Bunny Ears. They are the item I am most proud of, as it shows I have played since RSC. I am sure people with scythes would be livid, too.

Everything else is a good idea, though.

With all due respect, I don't care how long you've played. Are you higher level than me? If so, kudos to you. If not... you have a bit more work to do. ;)

People really need to see that the length of time they've played really does mean little to nothing. Your actual achievements are what mean something. If I joined in 2008 and I am level 138, and I meet a level 50 who joined in 2001... why should I think highly of him in any way? I've gotten 135 levels in a year, but he's gotten 50 in 8 years. Not very good.

Speaking as someone who is higher level than you and older. RSC is a different game from RS2. whether you like it or not, the stats carried over, but it's a different animal but simply, I played classic, sounds like you didn't. RS2 has built in macros, RSC did not. I like to distinguish that fact. Money can't buy everything and every item should not be attainable to all so easily. Give away the rubber chicken and yo-yo. to rs2 players, they deserve it, but the ears, scythe and tradeable rares - Lets preserve them they way they were.

Have to say, I agree with Das here. I've been around since Jan 2002, and was a big time Classic player all the way to the end of it when RS2 was released. Those who didn't actually play it won't ever truly understand where we're coming from, but old Classic players like to distinguish themselves from everyone else. Bunny ears and scythes are especially fun for us to have, because in some small way it's our way of keeping the old memories of Classic alive. And yes, it is fun to have something not everyone can have. Those old untradable items are some of my most cherished RS items, and seeing everyone get them would honestly disgust me. We were lucky enough to be around back then to get 'em, simple as that.

I do see the merit of your argument Jard, but I disagree.

dino_da_gino.png

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, I would be FURIOUS if they allowed noobs to get Bunny Ears. They are the item I am most proud of, as it shows I have played since RSC. I am sure people with scythes would be livid, too.

With all due respect, I don't care how long you've played. Are you higher level than me? If so, kudos to you. If not... you have a bit more work to do. ;)

People really need to see that the length of time they've played really does mean little to nothing. Your actual achievements are what mean something. If I joined in 2008 and I am level 138, and I meet a level 50 who joined in 2001... why should I think highly of him in any way? I've gotten 135 levels in a year, but he's gotten 50 in 8 years. Not very good.

Wow, what an attitude...

The length of time you've played does matter IMO. It shows wether you are one of the millions of new players that all want a fletching cape, or someone who has been around before runescape got as big as it is now.

Am I reading the "Everybody higher than me has no life and everybody lower than me is a noob" attitude?

No one forces you to think highly of them. And I thought the game was "for fun". What does achievements have to do with anything?

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

How do you know Jagex uses Oracle? I use MySQL and I know for certain it supports 64-bit integers, and I think even 128. I haven't really looked into database comparisons, but I doubt Oracle lacks the capability to store 64-bit integers if that is in fact what Jagex uses.

Truth be told, I don't. I know absolutely nothing of Jagex's inner workings, but I do know that there are limitations to how much a stack can hold based on the way that they store their data in whatever DB they use. It's the same situation with the XP cap being 200M, or the maximum level boost that one can have being 255 (WGS).

people's goals are to buy rares one day. taking them away would take that aspect away and make people quit.

It has NEVER been my goal to own a rare. My goals have changed over time, but the general pattern is the improvement of my character to unlock new things (i.e. getting 92 Smithing, 84 Craft, 86 Construction, 90 Mining, etc).

There's probably a very small niche market for those that want to strive to earn rares, but the fact of the matter is, I could have a 200M hat on my head, or I could have 99 Smithing with an awesome cape. The hat looks good with the rest of my Dragon armor, but 99 Smithing allows me to actually make Rune. Tough choice. -.-

Have to say, I agree with Das here. I've been around since Jan 2002, and was a big time Classic player all the way to the end of it when RS2 was released. Those who didn't actually play it won't ever truly understand where we're coming from, but old Classic players like to distinguish themselves from everyone else. Bunny ears and scythes are especially fun for us to have, because in some small way it's our way of keeping the old memories of Classic alive. And yes, it is fun to have something not everyone can have. Those old untradable items are some of my most cherished RS items, and seeing everyone get them would honestly disgust me. We were lucky enough to be around back then to get 'em, simple as that.

I do agree that all non-RSC players should never be entitled to Bunny Ears or the Scythe, but to differentiate RSC players from others, there's a suggestion on the RSoF RSC boards in the works about some sort of cape or other decorum, which, I've been told, has been forwarded to the Development Team.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I do not see the rares or emotes as a problem that needs a solution. The so called solution to a non-existent problem is a bigger problem that what you are apparently trying to eliminate. As a player that has seen the game evolve over 5 years, I have not played as long as a lot of others nor as little as many more. The presence of non-tradeable holiday items from the years past are an interesting addition to the game experience and offers no advantages to the player that has them other than memories of their participation in them. I do not have the bunny ears or the scythe but have not suffered for the lack of access to those items in any way. I did buy a party hat at a time when I had nothing else I was interested in spending a pile of cash on and I still have it rotting on the ge shelves for a year now (and if it sells it would still make me a big profit). If you read this far and did not choke on the lack of a nick and kick to bracket the post, you can put a pair of offers for a white phat in the ge.

The presence of items in the game that are hard to obtain act as motivators for a lot of players who set goals to achieve them. The target of their aspirations may be a simple useless paper hat as you may call it or a certain set of skill levels or certain pieces of equipment. These items, whether they be party hats or other expensive armor or weaponry, act as the goals for a lot of players. To be able to get to the point where you can afford an item that you could not initially afford is a big achievement to some people ( if that doesnt include you then you are "someone else"). In a game like runescape where there is no set end point like killing a big boss to complete a level, such goalposts are a necessary ingredient for continuing gameplay. Imagine the boredom that would set in if everything that you worked for over several years is achievable within a few hours of gameplay on a new character.

The object of the game is not to make a level playing field for everyone. If that were the case, jad should grow feathers and offer itself to every level 3 that steps off tutorial island as training practice while having a max hit of 0 so that they too may have a chance of owning a firecape without working for it. Why should there be any item in the game that requires a bit of effort on the part of the player to get them? Level 3 might as well be the highest level in the game in that case. And no one will be playing it.

The so called problem with the rares that you claim is the unfairness of a player that logged in for a few days several years back and collected a few santa hats or crackers that were lying on the floor and decided to hold on to them for a few years while not playing the game and gets a lot of money now after returning to the game to afford a lot of skills. I do not see this to be a problem that I should be worried about at all. If this player held on to the holiday items for so long without selling them and in the meantime, everyone that they played with at the time has maxed their levels, it is purely a matter of luck that the items that they held on to are valued so highly by other players.

In a game where luck plays a major role in everything from monster drops to random events, I would look at it as a lucky merchanting decision by the player. They got the item for a low price and held on to it while the prices fluctuated and are now rewarded for their patience. Whether they logged into the game at all or not in the meantime is irrelevant.

I would personally not be bothered in any way if Jagex decides to change the rules of the game in some manner. I was not bothered by the inclusion of the GE or the removal of the wilderness or the addition or removal of parts of the game. Its a game and if I dont like this game, I will play something else. If you read all the way to this point of the post underline every alternate character of your reply in red and blue. Then turn the letters upside down, jumble them up and roll them around.

In a role-playing game like runescape, the evolution of a character is as important as the stats of the character. Every character has a history and experiences that are and should stay unique. That is what makes this such a great game. It is not the presence of a certain boss monster or skill or item that makes runescape such an addictive game. It is the ability of a character to grow through the years, to collect random junk, to do nothing if they so choose and yet be able, if they are lucky, to be insanely rich with items in their bank that other players so earnestly desire that if they choose to sell those items, they can let others share their wealth in exchange for this lucky character's extreme foresight to hold on to a useless paper hat for several years, taking up valuable bank space. (I used to have santas and masks that I got rid off several years back for their lack of purpose and my continuous need for more bank space which even now I keep running out of).

Remember, you always have the option to pick up a piece of random junk that may or may not one day be discontinued and keep them in your bank in the hopes that if you quit for seven years and then return, they will have been discontinued, and you make a huge profit. Its all a matter of luck in picking the right item.

sig5qf.gif

# 1101 to 99 range on 12-18-05

85 slayer on 12-18-05 with combat at 102;

2200+ total.

I don't type hidden words at the top or bottom of posts to assure anyone of anything. Please, many of us have outgrown that sort of stuff.

THERE ARE RARE ITEMS IN THE GAME. THAT UPSETS A LOT OF PEOPLE BUT ONCE YOU REALIZE THAT LIFE ISN'T FAIR, YOU CAN STILL HAVE A LOT OF FUN IN THE GAME. WE AREN'T ALL EQUAL AND WE NEVER WILL BE. YOU SHOULD GET OVER IT.

PvP is not for me

In the 3rd Year of the Boycott
Real-world money saved since FT/W: Hundreds of Dollars
Real-world time saved since FT/W: Thousands of Hours

Nacholo

Although I would agree with turning some of the discontinued items into coins to get them out of the game, I do not support the re-giving of time-related items. As I view them, they are a reward for being loyal to Jagex, even if people who got them had quit for a couple years.

Konets

wartortlelove.jpg

nochalo.

I like your idea, but dont agree entirely. There are a few flaws that would be detrimental from an economic standpoint, as have already been pointed out, mass inflation would occur and blah blah blah the world ends I suppose. a problem that is easily fixed- rather than give gold for the item, give an "upgraded" version to holders of the original item. (dont announce this would happen before hand though) this little "upgrade" could be something like a sparkle, a little stripe or whatever the heck you wanna throw on the item.

This wouldnt make people happy seeing as they just lost a boatload of money, but hey, they still have their special little hat that makes them better than everyone else.

the next point I dislike is the fact that people are granted instant access. This shouldnt be. I agree that everyone should have access, just not so easily attainable. put level requirements, make the hats and costume pieces rewards and bonuses for getting certain levels, much like a skillcape, but much more generalized in how you get them. anything from completing a certain amount of achievement diaries, to having a certain total level could unlock partyhats, santa hats etc, this would still make them available, and still make them a symbol of prowess and status.

I've been around since the original drop of christmas crackers, i remember buying and selling them for hundreds, to low thousands of gold a piece. I missed out on the bunny ears, and the halloween scythe, I wish I'd checked in to get them, but the fact that I may have been playing long enough to get them doesnt mean i have the right to have it. not easily at least.

I thoroughly enjoy your idea and really do hope it comes to fruition, but I also hope that the people who have the items arent rewarded in the slightest for having them, apart from perhaps a little pat on the back animation given to their version of said item.

removal of rares- Yes.

reimbursment- No.

availability- level/achievement based. (yellow party hat (unt) available at 1500 total etc.)

those are my only suggestions for you. konets

Reverents can be a pain, but you can run away from them. Just curious, do they still have teleblocking ability?

Fear the church, the reverents have 85 magic!!!!

nachalo

I can't decide if I support this or not. You're reasons are perfectly align and there's no use argueing with them. The only defense that I would think of is just the novelty of them. People pretty much just pay for the novelty of having an item that there's a limited about of.

Also I would fear how many worlds would succum to the "No rares no pay" ranters. :?

Konets

Picture3-1-1-1.jpg

Ken eats low nachos, or whatever it was.

I don't support the removal of rares. It would be too disruptive. It's far too late by now for any of your proposed solutions to be effective. Perhaps if the change had occurred earlier on, before the prices inflated so massively, it would be plausible, but to make them available to everyone by this point would simply be unfair to players who paid so much for them, and to reimburse those players in cash would heavily disrupt the economy. No, better to let them stay rare. The Grand Exchange seems to have muted their tendency to rise consistently with time, so it is unlikely the problem will get too much worse. The best way to deal with them is to release new hats that also look cool, so that new players don't need to wear 'em.

Increasing the availability of old untradable holiday items is an idea that has some more merit, and if Jagex chose to implement the idea in some form or other, I would stand by the decision.

Nachalo

Hmm, your post Jared on page on where you said "for the greater good" Wonder where that is from? It is communisim to be honest. Comparing race and amount of time spent playing runescape is a pretty dumb analogy too. One you can change, the other you can't. What would be done with all that extra money. What about people who hold more than the approximate 2.1 billion gold possible in RS currently? I mean no offense, but a player can chose to buy a useless item in RS to show off his wealth is much like a person buying a expensive piece of jewelry, such as a rolex watch. To show off their wealth. Sure, this item is slightly more usefull than a phat, but a far cheaper watch would work just, or almost, as well. No support, this would be terrible for the economy, and is not endangering the game as RWT was.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

I read part of your post but not all of it.

I don't think letting everyone get an item they want is worth the amount of inflation, loss of uniqueness, and economic damage that would result from this.

No support, this would be terrible for the economy, and is not endangering the game as RWT was.

No, it's not really endangering the game, but does that mean that it shouldn't be changed?

I don't think that this will be terrible for the economy, because there are still plenty of other high-value items out there, and the people that had these rares would be compensated. I'd like to be proven wrong on this though; if anyone here can offer evidence to this idea.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg

Speaking as someone who is higher level than you and older. RSC is a different game from RS2. whether you like it or not, the stats carried over, but it's a different animal but simply, I played classic, sounds like you didn't. RS2 has built in macros, RSC did not. I like to distinguish that fact. Money can't buy everything and every item should not be attainable to all so easily. Give away the rubber chicken and yo-yo. to rs2 players, they deserve it, but the ears, scythe and tradeable rares - Lets preserve them they way they were.

Actually, I did play RSC. And... *drumroll*... quite frankly I think it's horrible compared to RS2. The one thing that most of you seem to ignore is that you did absolutely no work to obtain scythe and bunny ears. You were in the right place in the right time, that is all. Compare this to a bad thing: a person walks down the street, and is killed by a falling anvil. This doesn't mean he did anything to deserve it, he was not a bad person at all. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

A lot of people like old things because they're old; I like new things because they're new (and usually better and of higher quality). Would you rather drive an obsolete vehicle which is less sturdy, and lacks air conditioning, heat, comfort, safety, etc., than a brand new Toyota that has all of those things? Sure, some of you will say yes... but I'll take the shiny new Toyota rather than the dusty old Ford.

PS - 47 total levels isn't too much of a difference, and I am higher in combat so I'd say we're about equal.

Am I reading the "Everybody higher than me has no life and everybody lower than me is a noob" attitude?

No one forces you to think highly of them. And I thought the game was "for fun". What does achievements have to do with anything?

I'm not trying to portray that attitude at all, I'm just making a point that his character (possibly) having existed before mine means nothing, what we have each achieved on our accounts, as far as levels, quests, unlocking content, etc. goes is what really matters. The game itself agrees with me. It lets RandomHighLevel wear a mining skill cape because he has 99 mining, and worked for it, but it doesn't give one to a 9-year-old (account-wise) player with horrible stats just because they started earlier.

Because all players should have the same opportunity to enjoy the same content. A player who joins tomorrow shouldn't lack the opportunity to enjoy the Santa suit we got last Christmas, just because he found out about RuneScape yesterday and not three months ago or earlier.

How do you know Jagex uses Oracle? I use MySQL and I know for certain it supports 64-bit integers, and I think even 128. I haven't really looked into database comparisons, but I doubt Oracle lacks the capability to store 64-bit integers if that is in fact what Jagex uses.

Truth be told, I don't. I know absolutely nothing of Jagex's inner workings, but I do know that there are limitations to how much a stack can hold based on the way that they store their data in whatever DB they use. It's the same situation with the XP cap being 200M, or the maximum level boost that one can have being 255 (WGS).

people's goals are to buy rares one day. taking them away would take that aspect away and make people quit.

It has NEVER been my goal to own a rare. My goals have changed over time, but the general pattern is the improvement of my character to unlock new things (i.e. getting 92 Smithing, 84 Craft, 86 Construction, 90 Mining, etc).

There's probably a very small niche market for those that want to strive to earn rares, but the fact of the matter is, I could have a 200M hat on my head, or I could have 99 Smithing with an awesome cape. The hat looks good with the rest of my Dragon armor, but 99 Smithing allows me to actually make Rune. Tough choice. -.-

I do agree that all non-RSC players should never be entitled to Bunny Ears or the Scythe, but to differentiate RSC players from others, there's a suggestion on the RSoF RSC boards in the works about some sort of cape or other decorum, which, I've been told, has been forwarded to the Development Team.

Trust me, it'd be quite easy for them to raise the caps. The type of a column can be easily altered with a simple SQL command.

WHY are you so guys adamant about your bunny ears and scythe? It seems like a very elitist attitude. There's absolutely nothing being taken away from you by letting new players get them. In fact, it almost seems like jealously that you think you should get something for being an older player and no one else should.

I do not see the rares or emotes as a problem that needs a solution. The so called solution to a non-existent problem is a bigger problem that what you are apparently trying to eliminate. As a player that has seen the game evolve over 5 years, I have not played as long as a lot of others nor as little as many more. The presence of non-tradeable holiday items from the years past are an interesting addition to the game experience and offers no advantages to the player that has them other than memories of their participation in them. I do not have the bunny ears or the scythe but have not suffered for the lack of access to those items in any way. I did buy a party hat at a time when I had nothing else I was interested in spending a pile of cash on and I still have it rotting on the ge shelves for a year now (and if it sells it would still make me a big profit). If you read this far and did not choke on the lack of a nick and kick to bracket the post, you can put a pair of offers for a white phat in the ge.

The presence of items in the game that are hard to obtain act as motivators for a lot of players who set goals to achieve them. The target of their aspirations may be a simple useless paper hat as you may call it or a certain set of skill levels or certain pieces of equipment. These items, whether they be party hats or other expensive armor or weaponry, act as the goals for a lot of players. To be able to get to the point where you can afford an item that you could not initially afford is a big achievement to some people ( if that doesnt include you then you are "someone else"). In a game like runescape where there is no set end point like killing a big boss to complete a level, such goalposts are a necessary ingredient for continuing gameplay. Imagine the boredom that would set in if everything that you worked for over several years is achievable within a few hours of gameplay on a new character.

The object of the game is not to make a level playing field for everyone. If that were the case, jad should grow feathers and offer itself to every level 3 that steps off tutorial island as training practice while having a max hit of 0 so that they too may have a chance of owning a firecape without working for it. Why should there be any item in the game that requires a bit of effort on the part of the player to get them? Level 3 might as well be the highest level in the game in that case. And no one will be playing it.

The so called problem with the rares that you claim is the unfairness of a player that logged in for a few days several years back and collected a few santa hats or crackers that were lying on the floor and decided to hold on to them for a few years while not playing the game and gets a lot of money now after returning to the game to afford a lot of skills. I do not see this to be a problem that I should be worried about at all. If this player held on to the holiday items for so long without selling them and in the meantime, everyone that they played with at the time has maxed their levels, it is purely a matter of luck that the items that they held on to are valued so highly by other players.

In a game where luck plays a major role in everything from monster drops to random events, I would look at it as a lucky merchanting decision by the player. They got the item for a low price and held on to it while the prices fluctuated and are now rewarded for their patience. Whether they logged into the game at all or not in the meantime is irrelevant.

I would personally not be bothered in any way if Jagex decides to change the rules of the game in some manner. I was not bothered by the inclusion of the GE or the removal of the wilderness or the addition or removal of parts of the game. Its a game and if I dont like this game, I will play something else. If you read all the way to this point of the post underline every alternate character of your reply in red and blue. Then turn the letters upside down, jumble them up and roll them around.

In a role-playing game like runescape, the evolution of a character is as important as the stats of the character. Every character has a history and experiences that are and should stay unique. That is what makes this such a great game. It is not the presence of a certain boss monster or skill or item that makes runescape such an addictive game. It is the ability of a character to grow through the years, to collect random junk, to do nothing if they so choose and yet be able, if they are lucky, to be insanely rich with items in their bank that other players so earnestly desire that if they choose to sell those items, they can let others share their wealth in exchange for this lucky character's extreme foresight to hold on to a useless paper hat for several years, taking up valuable bank space. (I used to have santas and masks that I got rid off several years back for their lack of purpose and my continuous need for more bank space which even now I keep running out of).

Remember, you always have the option to pick up a piece of random junk that may or may not one day be discontinued and keep them in your bank in the hopes that if you quit for seven years and then return, they will have been discontinued, and you make a huge profit. Its all a matter of luck in picking the right item.

If you read all the way to this point of the post underline every alternate character of your reply in red and blue. Then turn the letters upside down, jumble them up and roll them around.

That would take too long, but be assured I actually read it. And seeing that most people did not end their post with the Russian word for "finish", THEY didn't actually read mine.

Did you know that even Jagex hates rares/discontinued items? And your examples about Jad were compeltely off. I'm saying that everyone should earn the things on their account BY hard work and dedication, NOT by getting them off the ground for free, for NO work, and being able to get millions of coins for them. You don't deserve your bunny ears and scythe or party hat (if you didn't buy it), because you didn't work for them. So they should either be made available to EVERYONE for no work, or taken away from everyone.

Nacholo

Although I would agree with turning some of the discontinued items into coins to get them out of the game, I do not support the re-giving of time-related items. As I view them, they are a reward for being loyal to Jagex, even if people who got them had quit for a couple years.

Konets

We're paying customers, not dogs...

Nachalo

Hmm, your post Jared on page on where you said "for the greater good" Wonder where that is from? It is communisim to be honest. Comparing race and amount of time spent playing runescape is a pretty dumb analogy too. One you can change, the other you can't. What would be done with all that extra money. What about people who hold more than the approximate 2.1 billion gold possible in RS currently? I mean no offense, but a player can chose to buy a useless item in RS to show off his wealth is much like a person buying a expensive piece of jewelry, such as a rolex watch. To show off their wealth. Sure, this item is slightly more usefull than a phat, but a far cheaper watch would work just, or almost, as well. No support, this would be terrible for the economy, and is not endangering the game as RWT was.

"Jard", please. And communism is good but let's stay on topic. I don't want this to turn into a political discussion.

"Comparing race and amount of time spent playing runescape is a pretty dumb analogy too. One you can change, the other you can't."

Correct. Race can be changed using plastic surgery, but the time you started RuneScape can't be changed. Time travel is quite likely not physically possible. Otherwise I'd have gone back in time and told Andrew Gower never to put party hats and other rares into the game.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

Nachalo

I thought about this myself, and I reasoned that there should be some sort of Rare Item Box. By this, you would have the option to turn your rare into its current market value, and thus, removing it from the game. I think its better if it is optional, though, if everyone, except one person did this, there would be one person with an exceptionally rare item. So thus, I can see what would happen.

Kinda an odd point, but if the change were implemented, f2p would get the short end in a huge fashion. F2P doesn't have the skill capes to show off skills, godswords, spirit shields, what have you, but with tradable rares, people *can* own a singular non-degradable object meaningful/valued than the Saradomin platebody.

In this clash of mostly p2p people, just thought I'd make note of that.

I'm saying that everyone should earn the things on their account BY hard work and dedication, NOT by getting them off the ground for free, for NO work, and being able to get millions of coins for them. You don't deserve your bunny ears and scythe or party hat (if you didn't buy it), because you didn't work for them. So they should either be made available to EVERYONE for no work, or taken away from everyone.

I'm saying that in a game of luck and chance, hard work is not a necessary ingredient for earning millions. If someone got an item off the ground for free, they were lucky to have been at the right place at the right time. At the time that the event occurred, which was way before I joined the game, the prices of the items were very low. If the person who held on to the item made a conscious decision to hold on to the item during all the years that the prices kept rising, then they deserve to keep whatever they get for the item from anyone else. Consider it the opportunity cost of an extra bank slot if you will. The same applies to the losses faced by anyone who bought such an item at its peak and has to suffer the loss in price due to the lowering of the demand. Profit and loss is a part of the game of speculative trading.

What you seem to be claiming is that the same work should result in the same reward all the time. What you seem to be overlooking is that the same work is less useful at one time as opposed to another. To put into more recent historical terms, compare the market value of a godsword (any of them) from today to what it was a year back. Anyone going to do GWD today and getting a drop will have got 5 times the coinshared drop last year as opposed to this year. I think thats highly unfair. Why shouldnt I be getting 200m for a hilt from a boss that is now harder than it was last year due to the removal of some bug in the game? Do you get the point?

Or do you think that every item should have a permanent fixed value that cannot be adjusted by demand and supply? If you do, then you are walking down the path to communism and I definitely wouldnt like to see that in this game. The moment you remove player freedom, you make this into a static single player game that you can download and play on your own at your leisure. There will be no competition for resources. You will have a guide to solo every creature and once you have done that, you will quit the game and look for something more interesting to do. You can play solo anytime you want in this game and a lot of the times, I do that. However, I do not wish to impose that restriction on everyone else.

sig5qf.gif

# 1101 to 99 range on 12-18-05

85 slayer on 12-18-05 with combat at 102;

2200+ total.

I read the whole post, but I didn't see whatever you wanted us to post if we read it all. But I did read it all.

The thing is though, old holiday items do set a player apart. It angers me everytime I see my friend as an egg, because I missed that event. But my rubber chicken sets me apart from every other noob who doesn't have it. In f2p at least, to which I have the most experience with other players, because all my friends are f2p, my rubber chicken commands so much more respect than my combat level. My combat stinks, even with 90 range, 70 prayer, 80 defense, so no one cares because I can't defeat them. On the other hand, the higher levels like me better while I wear it, just like they like my friends when they are eggs.

Plus, the other thing is this. I love my rubber chicken. It is probably my most fun item I own. Making every person able to have this item would do much the same to this item as what the graphics update did to my favorite skill. It is no longer fun to roleplay alone in my house. With everyone having my rubber chicken, it wouldn't be fun to go around whacking people with it, or chicken dancing.

My third and final argument is for rares. I agree with the mass-gold-coming-into-the-economy theory, but there are other things. Some people, like me, would rather have a yellow partyhat they could sell back if they needed cash, instead of a smithing skillcape they bought, had to waste hundreds of hours on runescape being bored, and can't get money back for. I don't have a problem with bought skillcapes, but I myself would respect my own skillcape less for it. I hate cash piles too. For the same reason, I won't ever go chinning, or cannon something other than ice trolls.

Ok, and I'm going to answer to a couple of your arguments.

Equal opportunities-

You have to face it. Life isn't fair, and it shouldn't be. No variety in a person means a boring world. And before you say that an item doesn't shape a person, especially an item in a game, it does.

Without my computer, I would be a far different person. I would never have been introduced to video games, and thus runescape, and would probably be a much more avid reader. Similarly, items in a game, though to a lesser extent, have an impact. If I had lost my rune armor set, or not even gotten it in the first place, I would probably not still be playing. I wasn't even going to get it in the first place, I was just collecting 100k cash by spending a weekend selling anti dragon shields. Another player whom I knew from the library made me buy it and got me a weapon and everything.

Caps-

You keep saying that they can easily raise the caps on everything. But they can't. Runescript is based on Javascript, which has a maximum number of 2.1b(plus some. I've heard 2^31-1, but I'm not sure. That's close enough though). So, if it's possible at all, the Jagex team will have to go through and retool their scripting language. They have done this, I know, but this means a month of no updates. This is not killer, but annoying for something that isn't needed anyway.

The only way I can think that they could do this quickly is to implement an alternate currency that could be changed to normal gp at anytime in order to be used on the grand exchange or with other players if it isn't tradeable(which it probably shouldn't be). This still kills the few players who have more than 4.2b.

My skin is finally getting soft
I'll scrub until the damn thing comes off

It's seriously not hard to obtain both.

Actually, I did play RSC. And... *drumroll*... quite frankly I think it's horrible compared to RS2. The one thing that most of you seem to ignore is that you did absolutely no work to obtain scythe and bunny ears. You were in the right place in the right time, that is all. Compare this to a bad thing: a person walks down the street, and is killed by a falling anvil. This doesn't mean he did anything to deserve it, he was not a bad person at all. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Quite simply, that is the most inane logic I have ever heard, lets just give everyone 99 all skills, because with the right place, right time you can get an unfair advantage on other players. Using that logic, everyone's xp should be doubled each time a "Do X" is released because in the future gains will not be on the same ground. My ear's do nothing but remind me of boing boing hill, They mean nothing to you and give me no advantage over you. Live with it. You must not of pked. RS2 pking has always been and will always be trash compared to RSC pking.

PS - 47 total levels isn't too much of a difference, and I am higher in combat so I'd say we're about equal.

Want a deathmatch? Lets make it oldschool. F2P PVP worlds. - You can pick your place to die if you like. I will wear my ears over a helm.

A lot of people like old things because they're old; I like new things because they're new (and usually better and of higher quality). Would you rather drive an obsolete vehicle which is less sturdy, and lacks air conditioning, heat, comfort, safety, etc., than a brand new Toyota that has all of those things? Sure, some of you will say yes... but I'll take the shiny new Toyota rather than the dusty old Ford.

You make the hat's sound like a good used to benefit yourself, I view them as a collectable, and would I rather have a walter payton rookie over a matt forte's best rookie, yes, I already have a payton, but the proven value is their. Would I rather have a Darth Vader action figure from 77 or 2001? clearly 77.

Because all players should have the same opportunity to enjoy the same content.

Give everyone 99 all's so they can enjoy those skill cape emotes too.

It seems like a very elitist attitude.

It is. You are arguing with someone who wears it with pride and considers it an exclusive club.

NOT by getting them off the ground for free, for NO work,

let's remove item lending, drop party castle, and every item that no one picks up too.

"Jard", please. And communism is good but let's stay on topic. I don't want this to turn into a political discussion.

His comparison to communism to me is on topic and valid. Long hail the motherland asgarnia!

Lastly - can someone tell me what nochalo is? It's annoying.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

nachalo

the point of holiday events where to signify when the player started to play. its like your grade, after a year, u gain the knowledge and advance and gain extra knowledge in which u can convey it to other ppl. in rs, after a year, u get 3 items, u gain an extra item which u can convey to other ppl. in the future, if u hav an old item, u can show it to ppl of the future and they will get similar reactions as if it was a party hat in this age.

lucario.jpg

2w30t2a.png

beethovens29.png

Trust me, it'd be quite easy for them to raise the caps. The type of a column can be easily altered with a simple SQL command.

WHY are you so guys adamant about your bunny ears and scythe? It seems like a very elitist attitude. There's absolutely nothing being taken away from you by letting new players get them. In fact, it almost seems like jealously that you think you should get something for being an older player and no one else should.

In any event, it's irrelevant to the discussion at hand. Whether they change the limit, or add some sort of extra medium (i.e. paper money that carries values of 5K-1000K, etc), matters not to this discussion.

Since you don't quite understand the motivation of many players' desire to keep Scythes/Bunny Ears out of the hands of new registrants, let me paint you a picture.

Imagine that your favorite author is giving out autographed copies of his latest novel, for a few hours on one specific day, and they would never be made available to the public again. You happen to be in the bookstore at the time, so you patiently line up and get a copy.

A few years later, a friend notices the autographed book, and wants a copy. You tell him, of course, that they're not made available to the public. Literally the next day, the same author goes to the same bookstore and gives out even MORE copies of the autographed book, when he assured his fans that these would be the ONLY copies autographed. Not only do you feel betrayed, if you were to sell this book, its value would have decayed exponentially.

RSC players were around to get these items, RSC players deserve them. I can't say that I care about any of the other events or emotes, but I will be damned if someone that has never dealt with RSC gets to wield a Scythe. Call it elitist, call it whatever you like - they didn't wait in line* for the exclusive item.

*: Used as a metaphor; no one actually "waited in line" for any of these.

s1L0U.jpg