F2P Mage and range underpowered

quelmotz

Oh yes, and don't forget Mage now has Teleblock :P

Although at level 85 magic you won't be a pure mage.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what if f2p mage has teleblock? it requires 85 mage for goodness's sake.

Range isnt too underpowered but it should still get a boost.

Mage is far and by underpowered in f2p and still underpowered in p2p, though not as much. (compfreak will surely have quite a lot of cutting remarks about this) :roll:

F2p mage maxes out as 16 damage... As someone already said, range can hit constant 18s if LUCKY which is far above what fire blast hits..about 10s-13s usually. Without range or mage protect prayers. High lvl meleers can hit quite high also.

Ok so mage is powerful at low levels but how many low levels have enough money for the extravagant price of effective mage pking??? VERY VERY VERY few, after factoring in the costs to even train mage to that lvl. Cost does matter in pking/training or whatever.

FTP mage is THE best combat style for its levels, range is overpowered if anything. Magic simply could use more higher levels spells. PTP mage is ridiculously overpowered for anyone who has a clue how to use it, too many inexperienced low level mages watch a few PKing videos and make threads whining about how underpowered it is :roll:

FTP combat triangle:

Mage until it maxes out > Range > melee

PTP combat triangle:

Mage > Range > Melee

Needs some serious reworking, PTP mage has to have a nerf in some way or another.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Mage until it maxes out > Range > melee

The abilities of ranged and melee are situational. Ranged will have the upper hand in a no-armor fight or in the case of higher-leveled pures. However, in an armor fight I'd put my money on the meleer.

PTP combat triangle:

Mage > Range > Melee

I disagree. Ranged will beat mage and melee has a fair chance of beating ranged. The combat triangle is incredibly situational and easily warped. You can't effectively place one style of combat as better than the other even with an infinite number of tests. There are always a myriad of variables to consider and the randomness of hits.

i agree. right now the combat triangle in f2p is something like Melee>mage

though if the players use good strategy, they can warp it of course. Melee is too powerful in armored fights because the ranger cant stand so much damage and the ranger also has to strike by surprise.

The abilities of ranged and melee are situational. Ranged will have the upper hand in a no-armor fight or in the case of higher-leveled pures. However, in an armor fight I'd put my money on the meleer.

Waste of your money. Range has very, very powerful accuracy; coupled with its cheap armor, it makes for fast, reliable hits. It will hit a pure faster then he can eat in many situations, and few level 80-90s will even be tanking in rune.

I disagree. Ranged will beat mage and melee has a fair chance of beating ranged. The combat triangle is incredibly situational and easily warped. You can't effectively place one style of combat as better than the other even with an infinite number of tests. There are always a myriad of variables to consider and the randomness of hits.

Equal level mage beats equal level range in low level FTP pking. It's very simple; there is only one outfit, and the 'randomness of hits' is a joke - the average hit is 1 half of the max, and I have the hit spreads to prove it.

i agree. right now the combat triangle in f2p is something like Melee>mage

though if the players use good strategy, they can warp it of course. Melee is too powerful in armored fights because the ranger cant stand so much damage and the ranger also has to strike by surprise.

'warping it with good strategy'? More like 'Mage > range > melee if used properly, melee wins if you use bad armor and weapons to warp it'. The ranger has similar defence to the meleer, but much higher accuracy; what is it with the 'ranger has to strike by surprise'? Melee is a joke in PKing, dodge a single obstacle and your opponent will never catch you - you can log out or run to the nearest bank.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Waste of your money. Range has very, very powerful accuracy; coupled with its cheap armor, it makes for fast, reliable hits. It will hit a pure faster then he can eat in many situations, and few level 80-90s will even be tanking in rune.

That's what I said. :-s

Equal level mage beats equal level range in low level FTP pking.

I know, we're talking about PTP here.

It's very simple; there is only one outfit, and the 'randomness of hits' is a joke - the average hit is 1 half of the max, and I have the hit spreads to prove it.

Ok, we know the average; now we can determine the outcome of a fight with 100% accuracy.

Since when does numbers equal combat power :roll:

The majority of bandosers believe ROW is a jinx with LS drops, yet anyone with an IQ above the ambient room temperature would realize that Jagex themselves have denied it. RS population, as a whole, is very, very stupid. Take a look at the RSOF.

Out of curiosity, what's with the random 'noob' thrown in? You have a grand total of 7 skills ranked on the HS - 63 attack, 58 defence, 65 strength, 63 HP, 41 prayer, 50 magic (You haven't even hit the upper level of FTP spells!), and 45 firemaking. You arn't even RANKED in range, indicating you have never had a chance to even try it - yet you are arguing against someone with thousands of hours experience with EVERY combat style, calling him a 'noob' for proving you wrong.

DeviledEgg24.png

F2p range is only good in bh and meleers DONT suck.

go to clan wars and count the meleers and rangers and mages. And dont tell me it is a no risk minigame. bh is a minigame isnt it? noob.

This is a random pile minigame. Rangers usually have low melee defense. If a clan has many meleers it will kill the ranger. That is why most people end up meleeing. Its the Pjers not the rangers.

Besides all the rangers are in BH.

image.pl?URL=171577-4798

hatzyv.png

Pureprayer, you're awesome.

Mage maxes out way to early, we need higher spells.

Range is allrite now, at least we have addy arrows.

Melee is also allrite, at least in my opinion.

Good way to sum it up. Quite the opposite of the great proclamations made by a level 70 meleer with 60 mage and unranked range :roll:

DeviledEgg24.png

Being a high level does not give you the right to insult people. You think you're that great just because you have a lot of lvls and money? You're wrong. high lvl people do not deserve respect, only their actions do. And im not referring to you as a noob. Another point against you. Making a lot of assumptions. And how do you know quelmotz is my main/highest lvled/most experienced account?

I can assume that you gave fake stats using computer photo editing of your sig.

Estorath said MAGEs suck and you agreed. contrasting yourself.

Mage maxes out way to early, we need higher spells.

Range is allrite now, at least we have addy arrows.

Melee is also allrite, at least in my opinion.

Good way to sum it up. Quite the opposite of the great proclamations made by a level 70 meleer with 60 mage and unranked range :roll:

Nope, estorath said mage maxes out too early, and higher spells are needed. I agree completely with that statement.

How would you have a clue, anyway? Your level 50 mage.

DeviledEgg24.png

You guys realize if/when they updated f2p mage that then it would be superior and then peeps would complain about it being overpowered b/c 2 mages could take down anything regardless of what lvl they were... And then all the groups would pk mage and then someone would want another update for another class...

They've done a great job of balancing the different classes against each other... I think that range beats melee a bit more than it should sometimes and mage just doesn't have the defense in their robes to do too well against melee or range at higher levels... The only thing I think mage could use is a higher freeze spell than bind, snare would do wonders for mage in f2p pking.

Cutey_mitzy.png

Cutey_Mitzy.png

Cutey_mitzy.png

Cutey_mitzy.png

Jagex wouldn't be so stupid to update mage too much. Anyway, mage is so weak now that unless they gave it some kind of extremely overpowered spell or what it wouldn't become overpowered.

F2p mage is underpowered by far.

Balance is what i want, not overpowering of mage.

P.S. Compfreak, read this:

Another point against you. Making a lot of assumptions. And how do you know quelmotz is my main/highest lvled/most experienced account?

Because it's your forum name, with the stats of a main, and you have not produced evidence of any other account. Until you do so, I shall continue to assume that you are a very low level who has not experienced the majority of the game content. Creating higher level FTP mage spells would fix the problem, as I mentioned much earlier, and this should be in a "ftp deserves X" thread.

DeviledEgg24.png

Nope, but it's pretty darn obvious when it matches up with 'main' stats and is your forum name. You can vent your frustrations; I can disagree with them.

DeviledEgg24.png

I have another account but it was banned unfairly and i cant play it. I have this acc since the other one got banned a few years ago. So you're wrong. Quelmotz is my main now, but it wasn't my main last time.

If you've been on it a 'few years', and haven't provided the levels or name of your mystical 'previous' main, I can continue to assume you have had NO experience with high level PKing.

DeviledEgg24.png

Giving f2p mages fire wave would mean the max hit would be 20, at 75 magic.

Assuming he has 50 hp, and 75 mage, as well as 43 prayer would give him. Level 54. Hitting maxes of 20, at level 54 combat.

This would be equivalent to someone with 110 melee stats, so assuming 40 attack, we have 70 str.

This would also be equivalent to a ranger with 75 range.

The person with 40 attack and 70 str, has a max hit of 24, with a rune 2 hander, which is roughly half the speed of magic.

With a rune longsword, which is about the same speed as magic, we have a max hit of 21, without the advantage of range, binding, cursing, and various other spells that come with 75 magic.

Rangers get a max hit of 14 at 75 range, discarding the added cursing spells, etc. But its slightly more rapid than mage, so it balances it out. Also, keep in mind that if the opponent is snared the mage out ranges the ranger with ease.

So maxing out mage would "roughly" balance out the triangle, if we add say 40 defense to this mix of hypothetical players, the meleer will miss alot on both the ranger and the mage. The mage will hit almost constantly to the meleer and ranger, dragonhide or not, as well as being able to far cast both classes with ease, and range would also hit fairly well on the 40 defense of the meleer.

Which... would unfortunately mean mage is the strongest f2p class. Until it maxes out.

Just an observation.

O.O