Pixel Signature

SirHartlar

I'm pretty pleased with how this looks at the minute, although I can find things I need to find out how to do effectively. If anyone can give some tips on texturing the walls, as well as shading effectively and maybe filling the gaps up a bit more I'd appreciate it. :)

pixelsig1.png

[hide=Pixel Avatar (previous)]I made this earlier, was hoping to see what people thought. It isn't a masterpiece, but I would like to know the positive aspects of it and of course ways to improve so I can go about rectifying it.

V1:

28tc006.png

V2:

pixelavatar2ws9.png[/hide]

Try to make sure your light source is consistent throughout the piece. Take a look at some pictures of trees to see how they look realistically, I still have a lot of trouble with trees, they tend to be fairly complex. Another thing would be to avoid using Runescape as a reference, even if the pixel is based on the game.

You did a good job on the saturation levels it looks like, seeing as it's not burning my retinas like most newer pixelers do. The best thing to do is to keep practicing.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

I made this earlier, was hoping to see what people thought. It isn't a masterpiece, but I would like to know the positive aspects of it and of course ways to improve so I can go about rectifying it.

28tc006.png

massive shoulders are massive. also, shading his face might help.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

It looks like you did actually attempt to put detail and work into this piece. You show good thinking in the shading of him, however, it is hard to do outlines in black on an image so small. On small work like avatars, I prefer to forgo black lines.

Here is some list of things to improve on. I don't want to phrase these into sentences since I feel list form will be a bit more effective.

His pose is a little boring

The tree is a bit wide and fat, look at some real trees. Look at this tree for some reference.

Along with the width of the trunk, the greenery looks like a big green blob. Try to avoid general stereotypes and symbols of what trees are like, look at details of the trees and draw from those.

The cloud needs a bit of work. Try looking to what uno does, or for clouds, I like to use three basic colors. A shadow, a midtone and a highlight.

For the grass, don't use one base color mainly and two highlights and shadow strokes just randomly around. Use a base color, but don't have it the dominant color.

For his skin and expression, I think his face is a little too round and his hair seems like it is just a flat coloration of his skin. Hair is raised up, but in such a small image, you might not see that, so I may be wrong on this one.

Also, he has some pretty big honking shoulders and little ity bitty arms. But, anatomy is tricky.

tfssig.png

I had a go at changing some of the things that were picked up on, still unsure of the grass and the person's face but it looks better than the previous version I think. :)

pixelavatar2ws9.png

definatley improved, but its a bit deprssing eith the tree having no foliage.

Linkzelda30.jpeg

image2ez.png

[hide=Siggy credits]The Awesome, Epic, Amazing, S3xah A-10 Sig By Unolexi! I wub u Uno!

InsanityV2 Did the Franz Ferdinand Sig.

Killerwatt is responsible for the Arctic Monkeys sig.

Pat_61 did the B-2 sig and the raptor sig.[/hide]

Definetly better than most new pixel artists, though there is work that needs to be done on it;

[*] Anatomy: His shoulders are way to large, and a guy like that wouldn't have his legs so close together

[*]Sense of adventure: His pose seems boring, so try and make look like he has a purpose [e.g, a person tensing their muscles]. The pose of the character very much determines the purpose - muscles would symbolise a strength pure or something.

I hope you learn from this :D

2257AD.TUMBLR.COM

For clouds, I'd look here. Also Cowboy14 is a good reference when it comes to pixels.

As Moonshadow well said, the black outline doesn't do the picture any good, specially on such a small image. Try making other small lines (nose, eyes, mouth) look more smouth (AKA don't make them black and use Anti-Alias*)

Keep practicing and you'll imrpove in no-time. :D

*Anti-Alias: Anti-Aliasing (often abbreviated to AA) is making lines that are made of pixels look smoother. Sometimes this is done automatically by a graphics program. Some pixel artists do this by hand, by placing pixels of a color that lies in between the color of the (out)line and the background next to the (out)line.

By Jopie211

For clouds, I'd look here. Also Cowboy14 is a good reference when it comes to pixels.

As Moonshadow well said, the black outline doesn't do the picture any good, specially on such a small image. Try making other small lines (nose, eyes, mouth) look more smouth (AKA don't make them black and use Anti-Alias*)

Keep practicing and you'll imrpove in no-time. :D

*Anti-Alias: Anti-Aliasing (often abbreviated to AA) is making lines that are made of pixels look smoother. Sometimes this is done automatically by a graphics program. Some pixel artists do this by hand, by placing pixels of a color that lies in between the color of the (out)line and the background next to the (out)line.

By Jopie211

Except when a graphics program does it , it is no longer a pixel.

As for the latest piece, I'd work on picking a lightsource and then just getting a grip on how light hits various objects. Maybe draw a quick picture and go over it in white and black to indicate shadow and highlights. Once you get a hang of that, the shading should improve tenfold.

Anatomy seems off again on the new piece. The guy that's opening the safe should have smaller arms/hands, and the tied up one has log-like legs. I suggest you first draw some lines indicating the position of the bones and muscles, the add the clothes. Also, when you draw non-perfect stuff, a straight line isn't the best. If you're afraid of failing with the pencil tool, just use the line tool but don't draw it straight.

The rope (or whatever ties the sit down person) should be a bit less saturated. You should also try using a color like this, with lighter/darker tones to make it look more like a rope. If it's not a rope and it's something like plastic or a "magic force", then ignore my comment.

As Hiimben said, you should get a light source and begin shading from there. In this case, the window is a really good idea. You can even make sunrays on the floor, to make it look more realistic.

You missed some perspective on the window. While the house/room goes from top-right to bottom left (I assume by the wall), the window goes from top to bottom-left & right.

For filling the walls, bricks are the easiest thing to do without needing much skill. Look at real brick-walls pictures and/or other brick-walls pixels and you'll have no problem with that.

As for filling the room, use your imagination! :) You can fill it with valuables/raw materials/armour/trophies. I'm afraid I can't help much since I'm not much RS-Pixel oriented.

Overall, you've got potential, just need to fix some stuff. Good luck, I'll be waiting for the finished piece. :thumbup:

You missed some perspective on the window. While the house/room goes from top-right to bottom left (I assume by the wall), the window goes from top to bottom-left & right.

This completely confused me, not really sure what you're commenting on. :oops:

I've taken everything into account, I really appreciate the c/c given and I'll do my best to keep updating this thread as I add and change bits of the pixel. :)

This completely confused me, not really sure what you're commenting on. :oops:

I've taken everything into account, I really appreciate the c/c given and I'll do my best to keep updating this thread as I add and change bits of the pixel. :)

Let the picture do the talking.

http://img152.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dibujoajd.png