Chaos Elemental Hunting Guide 2.0

Ned

elegif1gx4.gifChaos Elemental Hunting Guide elegif2.gif

Note: An UPDATED VERSION of this guide can now be found on the main Tip.it site here: http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?p ... mental.htm

News and Updates

Guide Released: 2/21/09

Recent Update: Fight Area Map added with detailed directions :)

Welcome to my Chaos Elemental Hunting Guide! You will learn all about its unique abilities, and how to effectively take it down! On top of that, I've included a section on avoiding those bothersome Revenants :).

Table of Contents

1. What is the Chaos Elemental?

2. Minimum and Recommended Levels

3. Equipment and Inventory

4. Getting There

5. Killing the Elemental

6. Avoiding Revenants

7. Rewards

8. Conclusion and Credits

What is the Chaos Elemental?

The Chaos Elemental, or CE for short, is a strange and unique monster that floats in the northern part of the Wilderness. It has a variety of strange attacks which make it a fun and challenging fight.

Chaos Elemental Basic Information

The bestiary link can be found here: Chaos Elemental

Combat Level: 305

Hitpoints: 250

Maximum Hit: 28

The Chaos Elemental uses multi-target Ranged and Magic-based attacks. It also will use two special attacks which will have the following effects:

Green Orb Attack: Unequips some of the items you are wielding. It will not do so if you do not have free inventory space.

Red Orb Attack: Teleports you to a random location around the Chaos Elemental.

In this guide, you will learn ways to deal with these annoying effects. Without taking proper equipment, you may find yourself in a bit of a chaotic situation ;).

Minimum and Recommended Levels

The following recommendations are by no means a requirement. It depends on your individual ability, and the amount of players participating. Below are some guidelines to take into consideration:

The most effective way to hunt the Chaos Elemental is Range, but there are melee alternatives.

Minimum Levels (Team, Ranged)

70+ Ranged, Black Dragonhide is almost a must!

50+ Magic, Magic Defense is key to surviving a long time!

60+ Defense, Defense in general is important to deflect some of its hits.

37+ Prayer, Protect from Magic is a must!

Recommended Levels (Team, Ranged)

80+ Ranged, This is especially helpful if you will be using Void.

70+ Magic, Magic Defense is key to surviving a long time!

70+ Defense, Defense in general is important to deflect some of its hits.

70+ Prayer, Blessing is a very helpful ability to have in a team.

Minimum Levels (Team, Melee)

75+ Attack and Strength, Godswords seem to be very effective weapons against the CE.

50+ Magic, Magic Defense is key to surviving a long time!

60+ Defense, Defense in general is important to deflect some of its hits.

37+ Prayer, Protect from Magic is a must!

Recommended Levels (Team, Melee)

80+ Attack and Strength, The more powerful, the better.

70+ Magic, Magic Defense is key to surviving a long time!

70+ Defense, Defense in general is important to deflect some of its hits.

70+ Prayer, Protect from Magic is a must!

Of course it is possible with lower levels, but such kills will be extremely slow and a waste of supplies. If you plan to solo the Chaos Elemental, I would suggest 90+ Stats in either Range or Melee, depending on what you use.

Equipment and Inventory

There are multiple setups for engaging the Chaos Elemental, and the one you use will greatly depend on your team. In a large team, you should consider using Full Void, but in a small team, you should probably take dragonhide. While Karil's and Armadyl work well, it would be quite an expensive loss if you were to die and not be able to recover your items. Rangers should use Ruby Bolts(e) and Diamond Bolts(e). A Godsword is the preferred Melee weapon, for its high accuracy and strength bonuses.

Dragonhide Setup

This is for beginners or players who do not wish to risk high value gear. If you want to swap out items, remember to emphasize Mage Defense as much as possible.

blackdhidesetupp.png

blackdhideitemsg.png

Void Range Setup

The Chaos Elemental has decent defense, so an accuracy boost from Void is very helpful.

voidsetup.png

voiditems.png

Inventories for Ranged

Bring a Ranging Potion, Prayer Potions, Jennica's Ring, a Forinthry Bracelet, and some contained food (i.e. Pies, Brews, Curries). The Games necklace is needed to get to Bounty Hunter, but can be banked later. Take a terrorbird + scrolls for Run Energy, as you will be running around frequently (make sure you still have a filled inventory at all times)!

curryinventn.png

Dragonhide Melee Setup

Emphasizing Magic defense! You can swap out the Snakeskin Boots for Dragon Boots, but it adds cost and loss of magic defense.

blackgssetup.png

blackdhidegsitems.png

Void Melee Setup

Again, the accuracy boost is very helpful versus the CE, but beware of the risk.

voidgssetup.png

voidgsitems.png

Inventories for Melee

Bring Super Attack and Strength Potions, Prayer Potions, Jennica's Ring, a Forinthry Bracelet, and some contained food (i.e. Pies, Brews, Curries). The Games necklace is needed to get to Bounty Hunter, but can be banked later. Take a terrorbird + scrolls for Run Energy, as you will be running around frequently!

inventmelee.png

The type of food you take to the Chaos Elemental MUST constantly fill your inventory. This is why curries and pies are used, as they leave behind bowls and pie dishes when eaten. The CE's unequipping attack will be negated by doing this! :) Curry heals 19 HP in one bite, while Summer Pies heal 11 per bite (2 bites per pie) and restores some run energy.

Getting There

Teleport to either Bounty Hunter or Clan Wars, and head to the Wilderness Portal shown in the map.

bhcwars.png

Keep using the Wilderness Portals until you arrive at the Rogue's Castle. If you are ready, run to the green area shown to begin the battle.

roguesmap.png

Killing the Chaos Elemental

Below is a comprehensive map showing all aspects of the CE Area. As you can see, there is a standard routine every kill, just like any other boss monster.

cemap.png

Legend

The large PURPLE DOT shows the spawn point of the Chaos Elemental.

The PURPLE LINES show the approximate attack range of the Chaos Elemental.

The small RED DOTS show the possible locations you can be teleported to by the Chaos Elemental.

The large GREEN SQUARE shows where you should stand while waiting for it to spawn.

Here is a detailed look at luring the Chaos Elemental, which can help greatly if you are ambushed by Revenants later:

lure.png

Legend

Step 1: Players wait for spawn inside Rogues Castle. Chaos Elemental spawns.

Step 2: One player moves out to catch the CE's attention. Chaos Elemental moves along the arrow.

Step 3: Player steps behind the tree, safe from attack. Chaos Elemental moves onto tree and is stuck.

You are now free to attack when you are ready.

To negate a large amount of its hits, you should use Protect from Magic. Having Auto-Retaliate on helps greatly if you are teleported away, as your character will automatically run back to battle. If you are ranging, switch to Diamond Bolts once it is at half health. ALWAYS have Item Protect ON, as you can easily be ambushed by a team of Revenants, leading to a quick death. Watch your health, even the highest level players can easily be killed if not paying attention.

fighting.png

If you find yourself in a need to stop temporarily or heal without being damaged, there are a large amount of safe areas around the Chaos Elemental. These include trees, rocks, and the walls of the Rogue Castle. The lure detailed in the previous map is shown below.

avoiding.png

Apart from that, the fight is fairly straightforward. If you are in a team, spread yourselves out as much as possible so the CE will spin and attack fewer times. This will be difficult since it teleports you around a lot. Attack the CE, and eat when necessary. Never run out of prayer, it could cost you your life!

Also note that, like the Kalphite Queen, the CE spawn time is unusually slow, sometimes in the 2-3 minute range!

Avoiding Revenants

If you are ambushed by a Revenant, I would suggest activating Range Prayer and running along the most appropriate route out of the ones shown here:

revs.png

The blue dot represents the spawn point of the CE, and the red arrows indicate escape routes from that point. The Chaos Elemental can attack over the cliffside in the Scorpion Pit, so keep moving West if you need to get to safety. If you have lured the Chaos Elemental, simply enter the Rogue's Castle and hop worlds (or kill some of the Revenants if you want). Having previously lured the CE is very helpful when ambushed by Revs.

If you are teleblocked, equip the forinthry bracelet that you took with you. This will allow you to use the Mage Arena lever, Ardougne Lever, or Wilderness Portals to escape. Another possibility is the use of Spirit World Portals. This is why i recommend wearing Jennica's Ring, as it will allow access to safety. The Ring of Life does not work at this area of the Wild, so it is not recommended, as it is, well, a bit useless :(.

The high level Revenants usually make a patrol stop at the Chaos Elemental, so be constantly aware of this possibility!

Rewards

The big prize from the Chaos Elemental is the Dragon 2H Sword. The Kalphite Queen and the CE are the only monsters that are known to drop it. It has an area of effect Special Attack which will damage adjacent enemies, which can be devastating in multi-combat areas.

d2h.png

Below is the drop list from Tip.it. The Chaos Elemental will drop 2 different things per kill.

* Gold: 100-3000

* 100%: -

* Weapon: Adamant javelin(20), Rune javelin(5), Mithril darts(400), Rune 2h sword, Rune battleaxe, Rune spear, Dragon Spear, Dragon 2h sword

* Armour: Rune sq shield, Rune kiteshield, Rune med helm, Dragon med helm

* Runes/Arrows: Iron(500), Mithril(400), Rune(200), Air(500), Chaos(100), Death(30, 40), Blood(50)

* Misc: Herbs(1-3), Bones(3,4), Bat bones(2-5), Wolf bones(5), Big bones(2, 3), Baby dragon bones(2), Dragon bones(1, 2), Cooked tuna(5), Meat pizza(3), Plain pizza(3), Strange fruit(2), Strength potion(1-4 dose), Super defence potion(1-4 dose), Defence potion(1-4 dose), Attack potion(1-4 dose), Antipoison (1-4 dose), Weapon poison, Uncut gems, Cut dragonstone, Half key, Shield left half(dragon)

Conclusion and Credits

I hope you will find this guide helpful! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me, and all feedback is greatly appreciated!

Credits

Jagex for creating the game I love ::'

TIF for hosting my guide!

All you Tifers for being supportive!

Want to help the Tip.It Crew? Visit the Website Updates & Corrections forum!

<3:

if you summon your terrorbird an inventory space comes free, doesnt that fail?

You would summon the Tbird at Bounty Hunter and add an extra food item there, but good point, I'll clarify it :)

Good guide. Might try it sometime.
Thanks Kramp :)

I remember a few months ago when I tried my first time at CE. The only tips I found anywhere was to keep a full inv. This is probably the only up to date guide on CE on the entire internet, great choice for making a guide :thumbup: 10/10.

slayermask3.png

A Draconic Guide V1.4, Fimer - Multi-Timer Farming Timer V3.

Dragon Boots: 39|Abyssal Whips: 16|Dark Bows: 1|

First question, is the Chaos Elemental worth killing? How many kills a trip would you estimate? Would a cannon work well or would it be too much money loss?

A few nice tips but nothing special really.

With the advent of God Wars, Corporeal Beast, and Tormented Demons, the CE is definitely not a star attraction that will earn you 50m+. It is more like a KBD/DKS style monster, with some nice rewards but nothing amazing.

Kills per trip depend almost entirely on your team. Going solo with my stats (90 Range, 90 Defense, 83 Magic), I get 10+ kills, provided I am not ambushed by Revenants.

The Chaos Elemental seems to have some decent defense versus the cannon. I have not tested it extensively, I will add information about it tomorrow.

Thanks for your feedback :)

Although I lack the stats and equipment to take on such a fiend, I found your guide to be very informative!

Once more, another great guide! :thumbup:

nice guide ::' if i do try it will hope for d 2h \'

Thanks Serpent! Good luck to you Gamer ;)

Next update (will occur today): Cannon + Fight Map showing places to stand and sidestep locations.

The Void sets increase both damage and accuracy, with the exception of the mage set :)

If you wear a complete set of void knight armour (you don't need a mace for the set), you will receive a bonus 'set effect' depending on the helm you have chosen to wear.

* Void melee helm: +10% to Attack and damage

* Void mage helm: +30% to Magic attack

* Void ranger helm: +10% to Attack and damage

Cannon is very good, but you won't really make much of a profit unless you are very lucky. Using it with a sacred clay item gives some nice range exp. In the old days, you could alch and cannon the CE, but now if you alch your cannon stops working.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

Why wear full d'hide and protect mage? Prayer on most monsters completly negates any damage of the protect spell you are using. So when meleeing wouldn't it be better to wear something like rune plate + legs or when ranging, some melee defence legs?

Also when attacking if you right click the chaos ele and keep it like that when you get teleported just click the "attack chaos elemental" on the little box you had right clicked and you will automatically go straight for him again without having to search around or wait for him to attack you. ::'

I understand the setups won't make much sense at first but I have tested it extensively. The Chaos Elemental uses a magic attack which penetrates prayer. I tried D Hide + Range prayer, and ran out of food the first kill. I tried Full Torags + Magic prayer, and the same happened. These are the setups that I have found to work best.

The magic prayer reduces the damage, the black d hide reduces the chances.

That's an excellent tip about the right clicking, thanks! :)

Can you explain a little better how your were able to get 10+ kills solo? I have 96 range and 99 defence potted defence and range used protect mage prayer + defence prayer and i was only able to stay for 2 kills per trip using curry. I did not have a summon. I used ruby bolts(e) until half health and then switched to diamond bolts(e). Did you get these kills with melee? or did your summon help out that much?

• 4 weeks later...

Forgive me, that was meant for team kills. I would expect 2-4 kills in a solo trip, depending on stats.

In other news, this guide can now be found on the Tip.it main site! :)

http://www.tip.it/runescape/index.php?p ... mental.htm

• 8 months later...