Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

PMods - Purpose or Status?

• Please log in to reply
678 replies to this topic

Guest__
[ Display Name History ]

Guest__
  • Guests

*Mods claim to be 'ordinary players' - Would they want the status if it gave you no crown visible to other players? No they would be unhappy because they 'want' other players to know they are mods - hence they do it for the status. Many who then achieve modship then revert back to the 'its not my problem' routine.

Mods are ordinary people. Some want the job for status, others for genuinely making the game better by reporting and dealing with rule-breakers. It depends on the player behind the keyboard.

Correction- Most want the status so your arguement is null and void on this issue. Take that little silver crown away and how many will still want it? Hmmm this is still an issue you supporters of mods have yet to comment on. I wonder why. :lol:

*Why give status to people who will gleefully report others - In my mind you get status for hard work, not at the expense of others (PVP excepted). I find this 'looking for trouble' element of it distasteful as it encourages players to snitch, rather than use common sense.

Because that's what a player mod is suppose to do, police the RS world...If there's no one to snitch on you, you might be more incline to vent your frustration through offensive language

As I have previously said, we should encourage snitching? Great that really solves the problem. :roll:

*Why do they insist on giving lectures to players instead of fact? When a mod is around it is permanently littered with mod chat.

It depends on the player behind the keyboard... Not all mods are attention seeking sickos.

Yes you know what you're so right, I must write the names down of the one or two who aren't.

*Why, when questioned about how they got their modship do they instantly tele or block a player? - Something to be scared of?

Like someone else already mentionned, probably sick of having to answer the same question again and again. Heard a rumour it's supposed to be kept secret and Jagex doesn't want the community to know how the process unfolds... this is speculating wildly so I'll leave it at that.

I see. So the status is good for a while until they get 'sick' of it. Well boo hoo doesn't it come with the territory? Or is it just when they feel like it?

*Why get shirty with players like myself who will disagree with a mods knowledge, yet threaten to mute me for it because I dare to disagree. Happened on more than one occasion. I don't need to be told off like a child or spoken to as if I don't know what I'm doing.

Might be the way you disagree with them (i.e. offensive language...) or you genuinely argued with mods that shouldn't have the status. As I have no proof of either one, I'll have to stay neutral on this.

You obviously havent the top of the post about my thoughts on rule breaking. I would suggest you read more closesly.

*The main issue of bots has been dealt a serious blow by the limit to trades, not by mods.

I have never heard something suggesting the contrary, if a mod told you that, he or she was probably highly intoxicated at the moment...

It's an excuse dished up by many a mod when asked about their modship, even the ones who acquired modship after the g.e. It's often used a way out of explaining that they reported bots instead of players for gain modship. Apologies if I was not clear about this issue.

I have the feeling that underneath this rant lies a jealousy of not having modship status. Why would you really want to know how they got promoted to mod if not for the reason that you obviously want to be one? Just keep in mind that behind every player (mod or ordinary) is a unique person and generalization of them can lead to unjustified hatred.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Jealousy!! I wouldn't associate myself with mods, let alone become one! Would I really want to become the very thing I think should be gone??!! No, because again you haven't read the top of the post! :shock: As far as the generalisation is concerned again I point you to most of the other posts who agree its a status thing. That tells me a lot about a player who will report others at all costs to gain a little crown, rather than exercise some common sense.

Guest__
[ Display Name History ]

Guest__
  • Guests

Ok, so if they are there to silence rulebreakers, remove the crown. Lets see how many would want that job then? Most would dispose of it instantly

What is your basis upon which you claim that? Most mods would still want the ability to mute even if it didnt come with a crown.

Most wouldn't touch being a mod with a bargepoll without other players knowing this status. It doesn't take a genius to work this out. ooooooo I really seem to have struck a chord with the crown and mod status haven't I? Is this something that people don't like to talk about because its a bit taboo?

mmmcannibalism
[ Display Name History ]

mmmcannibalism

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,117 posts
let me guess you know this through personal experience :roll:

my best friend is a mod, and doesnt care about the crown. To him, helping enforce the rules is more important then any status symbol. Also, you can presume as much as you want, it doesnt make you correct.
Posted Image
Orthodoxy is unconciousness
the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

Guest__
[ Display Name History ]

Guest__
  • Guests

let me guess you know this through personal experience :roll:

my best friend is a mod, and doesnt care about the crown. To him, helping enforce the rules is more important then any status symbol. Also, you can presume as much as you want, it doesnt make you correct.

edited for readability purposes - Your completely biased opinion doesn't make you correct either, and your friend could just say this as he/she knows its not going to happen. How many would still mod if jagex suddenly announced that crowns will no longer appear next to a players name? Not many and you know it. :roll:

mmmcannibalism
[ Display Name History ]

mmmcannibalism

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,117 posts
Actually my personal experience is what makes me right, personal bias is negligible for people that debate based on other things then presuming we are correct.

Sure, some mods do build an ego based off of their title, the fact stands that good mods do not. Many of the mods I have met are genuinly good people who are just glad they can be more of a help to jagex. Are mods absolutely necessary, maybe not, but nothing is quite as effective as a mod muting the classic rs3 beta spambot sitting outside of bounty hunter.
Posted Image

Guest__
[ Display Name History ]

Guest__
  • Guests

Actually my personal experience is what makes me right, personal bias is negligible for people that debate based on other things then presuming we are correct.

Sure, some mods do build an ego based off of their title, the fact stands that good mods do not. Many of the mods I have met are genuinly good people who are just glad they can be more of a help to jagex. Are mods absolutely necessary, maybe not, but nothing is quite as effective as a mod muting the classic rs3 beta spambot sitting outside of bounty hunter.

Just because you buddy up with a mod, it doesn't make you right as you're taking it soley from your own POV. I also have personal experience of mods and its mostly negative. I'm assuming you have read all comments made by myself and other players? I have played for enough time and met enough mods to make my own decisions about whether mods are good/bad and whether they are good for the game. Just because I don't get cosy with them does not make me wrong.

Your quote 'Are mods absolutely necessary, maybe not' says it all really. Even a staunch supporter such as yourself cannot fully justify the presence of pmods. I would much sooner see the odd Jagex Mod whose 'job' it is to police it, rather than somebody's poor attempt at being plastic police for all the wrong reasons.

mmmcannibalism
[ Display Name History ]

mmmcannibalism

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,117 posts

Your quote 'Are mods absolutely necessary, maybe not' says it all really. Even a staunch supporter such as yourself cannot fully justify the presence of pmods. I would much sooner see the odd Jagex Mod whose 'job' it is to police it, rather than somebody's poor attempt at being plastic police for all the wrong reasons.

pay attention to the words I used. Perhaps mods are not absolutely necessary, they are however very beneficial. The fact that good mods can be very beneficial in both educating and helping players is justification for their existence. Maybe Jagex needs to be more careful about who they select for a mod, but mods as a whole are a good thing. I could say the same thing about cops in the real world, are they unnecessary just because a few are corrupt?
Posted Image

Guest__
[ Display Name History ]

Guest__
  • Guests

pay attention to the words I used. Perhaps mods are not absolutely necessary, they are however very beneficial. The fact that good mods can be very beneficial in both educating and helping players is justification for their existence. Maybe Jagex needs to be more careful about who they select for a mod, but mods as a whole are a good thing. I could say the same thing about cops in the real world, are they unnecessary just because a few are corrupt?

Ok let me read this just so I am understanding you - 'Not absolutley necessary' means not necessary at all as your just word playing, 'Maybe Jagex needs to be more careful about who they select' tells me you are already aware that this is an issue but you're finding it hard to admit it. 'Mods are a good thing' is your POV as you are very friendly with some so you feel its your duty to defend them, where as I choose not to for the reasons I have mentioned but you have not necessarily read. 'Mods are a good thing' - your POV again, not mine! RS PMOD's do it for status - you know it, I know it! They have nothing to lose like a RL cop if they blow it!

langer
[ Display Name History ]

langer

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,144 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P
  • RSN:Langerkiller
After reading back your original post, this is what I have to offer:

I find mods to be the exact representation of the global population. There are some that want the status, some that got modship through dedication to the game and some that got their status wrongfully because of their behavior. Of these 3 categories, only one type of player would want to be a mod without the crown. There I answered your question. I would want to be a mod without a crown. I like giving advice but I hate neverending conversation as I play the more like the quiet type. When you say MOST want status, you base yourself on your personnal experience and is scientifically ....void and null to use your words.

As for encouraging snitching... encourage snitching for the status of being a mod is wrong, reporting abuse to make the game more enjoyable to play is right.

How many mods have you spoken to online in your carreer? How many mods are there total? How can you say it's not generalization when you can't provide proof? At least admit it's generalization...

As for saying how they got modship... what does it matter? How did you get your bandos? It's the right of a player to answer whatever he wants...

I didn't know mods said they are the reason bots are "gone"... in fact I so totally don't care what a player mod say that I don't ask questions to them.

What is shown in post supporting your idea that mods want the "job" for the status is opinions by non-mods. That only tells you what some people think and not the verified reality.

I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of players out there that see modship as an ultimate goal and try their best to report every typos and innuendos to gain that status. On that point I agree with you. Where I don't agree is when you correct me saying "most" want status without providing any proof outside personnal experience (or vendetta). I also don't agree that we don't need these players in-game to help regulate the gameplay.

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills
Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602
Latest top 15 update : page 602
6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Guest__
[ Display Name History ]

Guest__
  • Guests

After reading back your original post, this is what I have to offer:

I find mods to be the exact representation of the global population. There are some that want the status, some that got modship through dedication to the game and some that got their status wrongfully because of their behavior. Of these 3 categories, only one type of player would want to be a mod without the crown. There I answered your question. I would want to be a mod without a crown. I like giving advice but I hate neverending conversation as I play the more like the quiet type. When you say MOST want status, you base yourself on your personnal experience and is scientifically ....void and null to use your words.

As for encouraging snitching... encourage snitching for the status of being a mod is wrong, reporting abuse to make the game more enjoyable to play is right.

How many mods have you spoken to online in your carreer? How many mods are there total? How can you say it's not generalization when you can't provide proof? At least admit it's generalization...

As for saying how they got modship... what does it matter? How did you get your bandos? It's the right of a player to answer whatever he wants...

I didn't know mods said they are the reason bots are "gone"... in fact I so totally don't care what a player mod say that I don't ask questions to them.

What is shown in post supporting your idea that mods want the "job" for the status is opinions by non-mods. That only tells you what some people think and not the verified reality.

I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of players out there that see modship as an ultimate goal and try their best to report every typos and innuendos to gain that status. On that point I agree with you. Where I don't agree is when you correct me saying "most" want status without providing any proof outside personnal experience (or vendetta). I also don't agree that we don't need these players in-game to help regulate the gameplay.

Should I take what you say as null and void as its all based on your own opinion....? No I'll answer your points as I've a little more integrity than playing word games like some of you do.

Great so 1 out of 3 makes it ok then I guess (Not!). You've answered the arguement in this statement you gave. Thank you :lol: So snitching for this purpose would represent 1 out of the 3 who are actively seeking modship! Well I'm glad you cleared that up (!).

I thought the point of 'debate' is what people think! So as long as its your opinion the rest don't count then? We all know its a reality and for the bulk of mods its the crown as you well know. Most tend to agree with this and with your 1 out of 3 statement you pretty much said it yourself.

Lmao you guys talk as if you are the only people to ever talk to mods. Sorry but you're not that exclusive and you're giving me lots of opinions instead of facts. Something which you keep accusing me of doing!

I don't do vendettas, but thanks for the concern.

The part that startles me the most is where you say about 'what does it matter how you get modship'. My apologies. I guess a little decency and honour is a crime these days and its generally ok to gain status on the backs of other players.

Skull
[ Display Name History ]

Skull

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,790 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
I'm yet to see a single fact come from you supporting that all mods just do it for the attention, while you tell us we're too opinionated. Your entire argument is based around an assumption that people wouldn't want to be mods if they didn't have a crown next to their name. If you want your argument to have any real background, give us proof of all these terrible mods. Show us how they try to hog all the attention. Give us a picture of a mod saying that they are only in it for the crown. I'm willing to bet that you cant find more than 1 or 2 solid examples of this. Give actual proof and then I'll debate it.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

langer
[ Display Name History ]

langer

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,144 posts

Should I take what you say as null and void as its all based on your own opinion....? No I'll answer your points as I've a little more integrity than playing word games like some of you do.

Well it's my opinion and in no way a true representation of the reality. Same as yours, it's based on your personnal experience. We both are biased by our personnal experiences.

Great so 1 out of 3 makes it ok then I guess (Not!). You've answered the arguement in this statement you gave. Thank you So snitching for this purpose would represent 1 out of the 3 who are actively seeking modship! Well I'm glad you cleared that up (!).

I thought the point of 'debate' is what people think! So as long as its your opinion the rest don't count then? We all know its a reality and for the bulk of mods its the crown as you well know. Most tend to agree with this and with your 1 out of 3 statement you pretty much said it yourself.

I didn't say 1 in 3 is a good mod. I said there are 3 types of player mod. I have no idea what portion of them are in it for the status symbol. I'm not saying your opinion is lesser than mine... just saying you can't impose as facts what is your opinion.

Lmao you guys talk as if you are the only people to ever talk to mods. Sorry but you're not that exclusive and you're giving me lots of opinions instead of facts. Something which you keep accusing me of doing!

The part that startles me the most is where you say about 'what does it matter how you get modship'. My apologies. I guess a little decency and honour is a crime these days and its generally ok to gain status on the backs of other players.

You still haven't admitted to generalization... I don't find in my post anything suggesting I'm the only one in this game talking to mods.

As for honour and decency... what is wrong with reporting a rule-breaker? What I meant was... whats does it matter to YOU? Do you wanna know for general knowledge? Or maybe you used to want to be a mod and wanted to use the best tactics to become one?

You seem to think that a player gain modship by spamming the report abuse feature...? Care to tell us how you think a mod gains his status in your opinion?

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

langer
[ Display Name History ]

langer

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,144 posts

Right now it's looking like you're just an angry kid who got muted or reported by a mod and have hated them ever since.

I wouldn't say an angry kid because an angry kid would not have taken the time to properly lay out his arguments and use proper grammar. Which is the reason I'm still sticking to that thread, the OP has passion about his argument and doesn't let that get in the way of reason (something we rarely see on the rants forum).

Skull
[ Display Name History ]

Skull

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 5,790 posts
Good point, he's more likely just someone who had a bad experience with a mod. I've seen far worse.

15cbz0y.jpg
[bleep] the law, they can eat my dick that's word to Pimp

Sir_Kurity
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Kurity

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,370 posts
  • RSN:Sir Kurity
  • RSN2:Estorrath
I have friends in real life AND rs who ARENT mods, and they all would never go close to it unless they were givin a crown.

Then again, most of my friends are idiots. I personally would become a mod even without the crown thingy but thats just me.
O.O

Guest__
[ Display Name History ]

Guest__
  • Guests

Well it's my opinion and in no way a true representation of the reality. Same as yours, it's based on your personnal experience. We both are biased by our personnal experiences.

Good, so now you've come round to the idea that your own opinion is not the be all and end all, and that i'm actually entitled to one.

Great so 1 out of 3 makes it ok then I guess (Not!). You've answered the arguement in this statement you gave. Thank you So snitching for this purpose would represent 1 out of the 3 who are actively seeking modship! Well I'm glad you cleared that up (!).

I didn't say 1 in 3 is a good mod. I said there are 3 types of player mod. I have no idea what portion of them are in it for the status symbol. I'm not saying your opinion is lesser than mine... just saying you can't impose as facts what is your opinion.

YOU quoted the 1 out of 3 mods thing. You said that only 1 of them being useful (read your own post and yes you did quote the status thing!). YOU stated these facts, not me.

You still haven't admitted to generalization... I don't find in my post anything suggesting I'm the only one in this game talking to mods.

As for honour and decency... what is wrong with reporting a rule-breaker? What I meant was... whats does it matter to YOU? Do you wanna know for general knowledge? Or maybe you used to want to be a mod and wanted to use the best tactics to become one?

You seem to think that a player gain modship by spamming the report abuse feature...? Care to tell us how you think a mod gains his status in your opinion?

Report rule breakers fine. Reporting rule breakers to go for the modship is pretty poor form. It matters to ME because I find it distasteful. Are we getting it yet? And you have not read the previous posts regarding a mod gaining status have you? I'd suggest you go back and read the post FULLY.

Guest__
[ Display Name History ]

Guest__
  • Guests

I'm yet to see a single fact come from you supporting that all mods just do it for the attention, while you tell us we're too opinionated. Your entire argument is based around an assumption that people wouldn't want to be mods if they didn't have a crown next to their name. If you want your argument to have any real background, give us proof of all these terrible mods. Show us how they try to hog all the attention. Give us a picture of a mod saying that they are only in it for the crown. I'm willing to bet that you cant find more than 1 or 2 solid examples of this. Give actual proof and then I'll debate it.

I don't tell you you're too opinionated. Others seem to think I cannot have a personal opinion, while they have theirs. I have had experience of these 'terrible' mods as you put. I take it this is not enough for you? Is there a problem with debating it and taking me at my word? Or are you just joining the 'mods are my friends' tag team?

If it is not good enough to take me at my word then fine, go debate somewhere else.

Guest__
[ Display Name History ]

Guest__
  • Guests

I have friends in real life AND rs who ARENT mods, and they all would never go close to it unless they were givin a crown.

*Cough*

mmmcannibalism
[ Display Name History ]

mmmcannibalism

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,117 posts

Then again, most of my friends are idiots

cough, he said those people were idiots cough.

Report rule breakers fine. Reporting rule breakers to go for the modship is pretty poor form. It matters to ME because I find it distasteful. Are we getting it yet? And you have not read the previous posts regarding a mod gaining status have you? I'd suggest you go back and read the post FULLY.

So we shouldnt have any mods because you dont like some of them? We all fully acknowledge some mods arent good, most are. Why should we remove something just because you had a bad experience with a mod. If a mod is breaking rules or whatever then report them, just because you dont like something is no reason to get rid of it. Finally, stop trying to put words in my mouth, when I said mods are not absolutely necessary I mean that the game would go on without them. IMO they are beneficial to runescape, you clearly disagree, but you also choose to disregard that good mods can be quite helpful in situations such as the classic advert bot etc. Just because something isnt perfect doesnt mean we should just throw it out the window.
Posted Image

langer
[ Display Name History ]

langer

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,144 posts

Good, so now you've come round to the idea that your own opinion is not the be all and end all, and that i'm actually entitled to one.

As long as you do the same for me and don't correct my opinions...sure.

YOU quoted the 1 out of 3 mods thing. You said that only 1 of them being useful (read your own post and yes you did quote the status thing!). YOU stated these facts, not me.

I said there are 3 types of player mods... one of these type is a genuine player mod who wants to help the game, the other 2 are in it for the status symbol. It doesn't mean that 33,3% of player mods are good while 66,7% are bad... It means you will find player mods in these 3 categories. What you imply is that 1-2% are good mods while the rest are either in it for the status symbol or the power abuse they can inflict.

reporting for modship is pretty poor form indeed. I also find it distasteful. What I can't agree with you because I have not seen any evidence in my experience is that MOST mods are doing it this way. As for the post regarding gaining mod status, I admit that I can't find it... is it in this post? What's with the "horse mouth" thing? Is it some code word for something else...or an american expression I'm not familiar with (sorry ...french-canadian here...). About world 2 being the reporting world... I was not aware of that... care to explain the phenomenon or just post a link, I'm genuinely out of the park on that one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users