PMods - Purpose or Status?

Guest jrhairychest

I think there are alot of good mods that are helpfull. I have a friend who is one and he hardly talks unless asked. He does do his job though by reporting players who break the rules. On the other hand I have also seen alot of corrupt mods who advertise price manipulation clans, in turn causing others to lose their money. Heck, I've even seen a mod who was the owner of one. I must also agree that this game is now filled with alot of children who are anywhere from the age of 8-12 years old. Most would die for modship because it makes them feel empowered. To be honest, when I first joined I wanted to be a mod just to have the crown, but at this point (6 years later) I don't really care. Although...I would like to put a stop to the manipulation clans as they have become a problem.

Also, forum mods are necessarry mods as jagex is really busy and alot of stuff needs to be locked on the forums, so I find forum mods are of great help. Also they don't get an in-game status symbol so I think they are always "better," mods or if you will.

This doesn't really give your opinion, no one is declaring that all Pmods are terrible people, nor that they are all saintly. The point is whether the whole concept of Pmods and those seeking the little silver crown is about status or purpose. My opinion on this is quite clearly expressed in this thread, you stated that when you first started you wanted the crown because you recognised it as 'status'. So are you saying Pmods are about status?

I have a poor opinion of any player being placed over another for the purpose of reporting, however the new selection process gives a new direction for Pmods that is somewhat more acceptable, although I disagree with the whole concept of 'in game' player moderators.

35cq0q9.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is obviously "not" the diverse pmod populace this thread pertains to; but the "concept" of in-game moderators in general.

All we can do is "guess" as to whether the "...whole concept of pmods and those seeking the little silver crown is about status or purpose..." Only the Jagex originator(s) of the crown truly know; and as stated in other posts, it seems to me to be about both status and purpose. To divide the intent serves what purpose? A better question might be: What would be different "in game" without the player moderators (a "concept" you so vehemently disagree with)?

I am what I am! Acknowledging this is the beginning and my growth is yet to end!!

You make a point insinuating that the silver crown only adds up to people's pride and ego. I never understood the purpose of player mods. What these people get from the crowns isn't only authority, there's more pride and fame in game here. Anyone can report players just like player mods do.

I've once been in a community in which many people were player mods. I can safely say that the difference between these moderators and the "normal" players is mostly, I mean almost only, the fact that player mods know how to speak in posh English, like some other guy stated above. I've asked one of them, out of curiousity, what made him get the status, and he did reply to me that "Jagex chose professional looking moderators, you just need to look awesome when you type and they'll end by contacting you." So, if they're not always better than others, why bother making them look better and create more inequalities within the community?

Jagex might have had other purposes in adding player mods, but in that case the real results weren't what they expected.

signaturemw.png

• 2 weeks later...

The crown is necessary in case somebody tries to impersonate a pmod, making the form inseparable from the function. Otherwise, it's beneficial to Jagex to have additional eyes and ears who adhere to higher standards of reporting to streamline the process and allow Jagex to react to situations faster. The majority of complaints against pmods occur because a player either has had bad experiences with a pmod (or individual associated with Jagex), dislikes authority figures, or is jealous because they weren't selected. More often than not, it's the latter.

Obviously the selection process isn't perfect and sometimes an idiot ends up getting crowned, but on the whole the system works reasonably well and the bad seeds are removed. And if there are any complaints about a pmod not doing enough, it's solely because Jagex chooses not to give them more power.

And, as mentioned, it's really not much of a status item because pmods get bugged with additional stupid questions, harassed by random players with an axe to grind, have to tone down all of their interactions, etc; but hey, if pmods weren't okay with the absurd number of disadvantages they have to endure they could just opt out of the program.