PMods - Purpose or Status?

Guest jrhairychest

So to clarify, your point is that mods are all egotists because you say so, we arent needed because you dont think theres enough rule breaking, and mods talk just to hear themselves and not be helpful because you say so?

Most are not all. You actually state to know that mods are honourable players? Where is the honour in being a snitch?

Really, you can claim as much as you want its not exactly impressive. I already explained that the need for mods is less then it is at one time because im interested in reality not playing the your wrong because im going to repeat myself game you seem to enjoy. Just because there is a lessened need doesnt mean there isnt a need. There are possibly quite a few mods that are unworthy of it, I already said they should be dealth with. Your trying to say all mods should get thrown out with the bad because you dont like them and its not a logical argument.

You repeat yourself endlessly because you cannot fathom what has been said. Maybe you've been used to your own opinion not being questioned in game. No suprise there then. You've already admitted theres a lesser need. Theres also an issue with mods doing it for status. What more do I need or is it so difficult to admit that the system isn't great and many of you mods are not as perfect as you think you are. Shock horror did I say that???

All police officers arent good we keep the system, all teachers arent good we keep them as a system. Since I know you are going to try and discredit my analogy lets try something as close as possible. Not all people that earn a minor college scholorship are worthy of it, do we stop scholorships? No, because knee jerk overreactions cause a much bigger problem

You love these analogy's. Since none can even begin to be compared to RS they are pretty useless.

In conclusion, I already addressed that there are bad mods that should be removed from modship. If we remove all mods runescape will lose something that is very beneficial to the overall community. We can throw the baby out with the bathwater or we could actually suggest jagex improve on their selection process. If jagex were to monitor their selection a little better most problems with mods would severly dimish if not disappear entirely. Most of your arguments border on semantics, you can take each sentence of my argument and try to point out some ghost flaw in it or you can actually address what Im saying. Once you start debating actual points instead of just saying mods are egotists you will realize you have very little to stand on.

Do you really think you're that important that you believe your own hype? If they went mods would not be missed, except by those in desperation for their status. I know this hurts but your self importance would not get by the 'new selection process'. I would rather see the rough diamonds with some form of common sense govern the players if it had to stay. Not they types we get.

Finally, Ive already conceded what pieces of your original post(s) were correct(ie the occurences of bad mods and that there is less need for them) and I really dont need to hear you ask me to say it again every post. Im interested in actually debating the need of mods not every single detail of your hatred of mods.

Now don't forget the other points, including the status symbol. Come on now, don't get all selective on me. Hatred of mods? Maybe a little harsh. I prefer to look at it that I'm not one of your backside kissing followers who actually looks at the system and thinks 'Somethings not right here'. Your lack of attention to every single detail makes you blind to the points you just don't want to deal with.

edit--breaking down the series post just supports the belief you cant debate actual points. You cant address the accuracy of the whole post so you break each line down in a vain attempt to look smart. We have caught on that you cant address a whole theory and at best attack the wording of a sentence or at worst make up a meaning to suit your argument.

Doing this I debate every point you make. You just get offended by it because I pull you apart on your points. I don't need to look smart as you make it easy by digging your own hole. I've addressed things fully and argued my points as can be read through this post. Wasn't it you that went on for 3 or 4 posts about an analogy that no-one cared about. Of course I use your words to disprove or argue against. Thats what DEBATE is. Or is this offensive because you're not getting all your own way.

I have taken all the points and attacks from you or others players and addressed those. If you cannot handle this then leave this debate. If you can then swallow your pride, climb down from your modship throne, grow up and debate some more.

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then maybe the idea would be to keep the status, but change the symbol. Ideally, the point of a moderator is to give a 2 day mute to serious rulebreakers, and for priority reports otherwise. Having certain players able to do that is still necessary, there still are advertisers, spammers, etc. That the trade limits did nothing to, but allowing it available to everyone would lead to the kind of abuse you accuse moderators of.

The downside is that without any symbol, it would be impossible to tell who is a moderator and who isn't. There has to be something to prevent players from claiming they are moderators when they aren't.

Mr local guy, you're scaring me now! Another good post :thumbsup:

Why not just remove the symbol? Example - lets say you're in a group of 5 people all doing wc. If you were planning trouble, a scam or trouble flares you automatically know there's no mod there if everyone has spoken. However, if you didn't know then would you risk it? I think more players would fear getting caught as they wouldn't be able to tell who was who. I personally don't need to know who a mod is so why not just get rid of the symbol. Those who care about modship wouldn't be bothered. Those who don't would bleat and cry about their little crown gone.

Removal of the crown would solve a few issues. Those who do it for the crown would not bother any more, it would prevent the wrong type of players going for modship as they wouldn't see the worth.

Lastly you will always get false prophets. Even now I've seen a few players trying to pass themselves off a pmods or jagex mods (?!). If a player claims to be a mod exactly what can they do? Nothing. After all a mod cannot force me to hand over goods, not disagree, argue my point if I keep it clean etc. If players are 'scammed' by a false prophet, I'm sorry but they are either not old enough to play RS or just not bright enough.

[hide=]

So to clarify, your point is that mods are all egotists because you say so, we arent needed because you dont think theres enough rule breaking, and mods talk just to hear themselves and not be helpful because you say so?

Most are not all. You actually state to know that mods are honourable players? Where is the honour in being a snitch?

Really, you can claim as much as you want its not exactly impressive. I already explained that the need for mods is less then it is at one time because im interested in reality not playing the your wrong because im going to repeat myself game you seem to enjoy. Just because there is a lessened need doesnt mean there isnt a need. There are possibly quite a few mods that are unworthy of it, I already said they should be dealth with. Your trying to say all mods should get thrown out with the bad because you dont like them and its not a logical argument.

You repeat yourself endlessly because you cannot fathom what has been said. Maybe you've been used to your own opinion not being questioned in game. No suprise there then. You've already admitted theres a lesser need. Theres also an issue with mods doing it for status. What more do I need or is it so difficult to admit that the system isn't great and many of you mods are not as perfect as you think you are. Shock horror did I say that???

All police officers arent good we keep the system, all teachers arent good we keep them as a system. Since I know you are going to try and discredit my analogy lets try something as close as possible. Not all people that earn a minor college scholorship are worthy of it, do we stop scholorships? No, because knee jerk overreactions cause a much bigger problem

You love these analogy's. Since none can even begin to be compared to RS they are pretty useless.

In conclusion, I already addressed that there are bad mods that should be removed from modship. If we remove all mods runescape will lose something that is very beneficial to the overall community. We can throw the baby out with the bathwater or we could actually suggest jagex improve on their selection process. If jagex were to monitor their selection a little better most problems with mods would severly dimish if not disappear entirely. Most of your arguments border on semantics, you can take each sentence of my argument and try to point out some ghost flaw in it or you can actually address what Im saying. Once you start debating actual points instead of just saying mods are egotists you will realize you have very little to stand on.

Do you really think you're that important that you believe your own hype? If they went mods would not be missed, except by those in desperation for their status. I know this hurts but your self importance would not get by the 'new selection process'. I would rather see the rough diamonds with some form of common sense govern the players if it had to stay. Not they types we get.

Finally, Ive already conceded what pieces of your original post(s) were correct(ie the occurences of bad mods and that there is less need for them) and I really dont need to hear you ask me to say it again every post. Im interested in actually debating the need of mods not every single detail of your hatred of mods.

Now don't forget the other points, including the status symbol. Come on now, don't get all selective on me. Hatred of mods? Maybe a little harsh. I prefer to look at it that I'm not one of your backside kissing followers who actually looks at the system and thinks 'Somethings not right here'. Your lack of attention to every single detail makes you blind to the points you just don't want to deal with.

edit--breaking down the series post just supports the belief you cant debate actual points. You cant address the accuracy of the whole post so you break each line down in a vain attempt to look smart. We have caught on that you cant address a whole theory and at best attack the wording of a sentence or at worst make up a meaning to suit your argument.

Doing this I debate every point you make. You just get offended by it because I pull you apart on your points. I don't need to look smart as you make it easy by digging your own hole. I've addressed things fully and argued my points as can be read through this post. Wasn't it you that went on for 3 or 4 posts about an analogy that no-one cared about. Of course I use your words to disprove or argue against. Thats what DEBATE is. Or is this offensive because you're not getting all your own way.

I have taken all the points and attacks from you or others players and addressed those. If you cannot handle this then leave this debate. If you can then swallow your pride, climb down from your modship throne, grow up and debate some more.

[/hide]

where is the honor in letting players break rules? Snitching is reporting players for every single possible offense, as I already said I and a good bit of mods dont do this because it hurts the community we are trying to improve/sustain.

Every one of your arguments is repeating that mods arent needed because we dont have item scammers anymore and Im the repetitive one? That is certaintly interesting

its actually a good analogy, clearly police men are more important to the world, the fact I have to clarify that makes me question your ability to reason. Just because they are not direct relations does not mean the basis of the analogy is invalid. If two things had to be exact then the only fair analogy for modship would be modship, thats clearly useless because saying the ocean looks like the ocean is not a helpful description.

What high horse exactly? The one where I acknowledge there are problems with moderator status or the one where I do wish they would make some small improvements and possibly make the mod crown less bold? If mods would be missed is a horribly subjective hypothetical, I doubt there would be a riot demanding them back, but over time the amount of advert bots etc. would slowly increase which most players dont want to happen.

If jagex had a way to prevent all rulebreaking remotely I would be perfectly happy with removing p mods because they wouldnt have a purpose. As long as player mods have a beneficial purpose(s) to the runescape community I see no reason to remove them based upon your whims. Im not really interested in your opinion on if I deserve modship, and frankly if they refined the process and all the p mods were perfect Id be fine losing my status if it came to that. Im interested in the future or runescape, not inflating my ego through a few silver pixels next to a word.

I disagree with you about the removal of all modship symbols, so why would I possibly list it under things I agree with you on? We could spend hours debating how much you dislike mods, its evident your not just concerned with the game, you clearly have some dislike of mods that shows through your tone. Yes, I clearly have a dislike of people that think overcompensating for small flaws is going to help, I am not trying to hide that. Ive addressed all points of your argument, you can say I havent but the fact is I have.

Address how removing mods would help the runescape community since your capable of answering everything, Id prefer to keep rule breakers held down instead of giving them a new life by removing mods just because some of them arent great.

Im not interested in my own ego or status, as said before if they could remove all rule breaking without mods Id be happy to lose that crown. If they could do more good by cutting down on mods to ensure quality Id gladly accept that if it means I keep my status or not.

edit--the need for some symbol is there to prevent false mod claims, some players will get scammed whatever and I agree it becomes their own fault at some point. If we keep some mod symbol(silver bar or whatever) it allows experienced players to help less experienced players by telling them what a mod looks like, and it ensures that anything said under the guise of modship is "fact checked".

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

@jrhairychest - you still haven't responded to my previous post, I'm wondering if you missed it, or if you can't seem to come up with any good arguments against it.

Removal of the crown would solve a few issues. Those who do it for the crown would not bother any more, it would prevent the wrong type of players going for modship as they wouldn't see the worth.

Removal of the crown, or of ALL symbols of modship would create more problems than it would solve. Yes, there are still people that try to pass themselves off as mods to scam another player out of an item. But it is incredibly difficult for them to do so, to dupe another player. Why? Its very easy for anyone to know - hey look, he doesn't have a crown by his name, there's no way he could be a mod. And any player that has wandered into the Stronghold of Security will know that no crown = no mod.

If players are 'scammed' by a false prophet, I'm sorry but they are either not old enough to play RS or just not bright enough.

Or they've only played for a few hours? Enough to know what a moderator is, but not what to look for, or they don't know what a moderator is, but if someone's telling them - hey look it, I'm a mod, so you better do as I say or I'll give you the mute. In any case, these players that get scammed are the ones hurt the most - it may only be 5k to us, but to them, that's 5000 gold pieces they just lost!

If there is no crown, or symbol of a moderator, it would be near impossible for a player passing by to see the scam, and stop it. They wouldn't know if the person was being a jerk and telling the truth, or if the person was scamming.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Pantim

Don't sit there a take a cheap shot. If you have an argument then by all means post. Don't hide behind everyone else please.

Quite hippocritical, but I won't comment on it.

I'm not hiding behind anyone, in fact, I think what has to be said has been said. If you don't accept the facts, don't cry and whine and just claim its all flame or "cheap shots". If you can't handle it, just yield.

Lmao yeild to what? At least come up with some good points that I have no answer to and I'll yeild. If not go back to obscurity. Simple!

Here are my "obscurities" I managed to hide them as the first post.

[hide=Here]

Yeah, alot of people do want to be mods for the little crown. But I think that is encouraging players to report for a better reason. Now, most people in the game are -10 years old. The game is aimed at kids. They wouldn't care about reporting if they didn't "get" something back. IF its just false reporting, then it will usually be descovered unless it is fairly complex. A little bit of rule breaking IS rule breaking.

The littering of mod chat is unfortunate, but for the most part people DO play with chat on. They don't want people to turn chat off, and claim they heard nothing.

Some mods will just block or teleport. That is because they've been asked the same questions by hundreds if not thousands of players. and don't want to talk with little kids.

Mods sometimes do feel powerful. Don't be intimidated, since if they mtue you for no reason, you can just report them and complain

The botting issue has not been affected by the trade limit or mods.

[/hide]

Thats your case??? No wonder you hide!

Wait a second? I'm the one hiding?

Once more quite hippocritical.

Owned_Nex.png

Dungeoneering isn't a skill.

I'm faster than bots at Sorceress Garden.

PM me if you want to chat. My PM is always off.

My keyboard is on fire. Want some?

[hide=]

[/hide]

where is the honor in letting players break rules? Snitching is reporting players for every single possible offense, as I already said I and a good bit of mods dont do this because it hurts the community we are trying to improve/sustain.

Good you're finally listening. There is no honour in players breaking rules and I've never defended that. What we dont need is a load of mod wannabe's dishonouring the game by flinging report after report to go for modship. Where is the honour in that? And don't deny this does not happen because it does! What happened to common sense?

Every one of your arguments is repeating that mods arent needed because we dont have item scammers anymore and Im the repetitive one? That is certaintly interesting

Correct. We don't need you.

its actually a good analogy, clearly police men are more important to the world, the fact I have to clarify that makes me question your ability to reason. Just because they are not direct relations does not mean the basis of the analogy is invalid. If two things had to be exact then the only fair analogy for modship would be modship, thats clearly useless because saying the ocean looks like the ocean is not a helpful description.

You want a good analogy? Read the skill capes reply I gave to Langer. It was enough for him to stop and think about it. At least do it better and I'll take it on board.

Your analogy has no merit and here's why. A cop is the equivalent of a Jagex mod doing the rounds. Its his job, he's paid to do it and he doesn't get anything extra for it. A Pmod is the equivalent of your next door neighbour sticking on a police uniform coming round your house, then making complaints about you because your grass is too high, or the tyre pressures in your car are too low. Basically looking for trouble. He wants the status but he's not really 'up there'. Basically a plastic cop without any of the merits of a real cop.

What high horse exactly? The one where I acknowledge there are problems with moderator status or the one where I do wish they would make some small improvements and possibly make the mod crown less bold? If mods would be missed is a horribly subjective hypothetical, I doubt there would be a riot demanding them back, but over time the amount of advert bots etc. would slowly increase which most players dont want to happen.

You have maintaned the high ground all along. Come down a bit more, stop trying to be clever as....well I'll be honest...You're just not very good at it.

As far as the bots question goes read a_local_guy's previous couple of posts. I believe he covered that. You don't need a crown to remove a bot. It takes a report and thats it. And you're right, there would'nt be riots, except from those who are afraid to lose their status. My main argument all along!

If jagex had a way to prevent all rulebreaking remotely I would be perfectly happy with removing p mods because they wouldnt have a purpose. As long as player mods have a beneficial purpose(s) to the runescape community I see no reason to remove them based upon your whims. Im not really interested in your opinion on if I deserve modship, and frankly if they refined the process and all the p mods were perfect Id be fine losing my status if it came to that. Im interested in the future or runescape, not inflating my ego through a few silver pixels next to a word.

So your existence is justfied because they can remove a few bots or advertisements? These are not 'whims' as you put it. In an earlier post I explained that at first I thought pmods were ok. My opinion changed when I really started to get to know them. So I started asking questions and I wasn't impressed with the replies. Its an opinion I have formed over the 3 years of playing. Not just overnight.

I disagree with you about the removal of all modship symbols, so why would I possibly list it under things I agree with you on? We could spend hours debating how much you dislike mods, its evident your not just concerned with the game, you clearly have some dislike of mods that shows through your tone. Yes, I clearly have a dislike of people that think overcompensating for small flaws is going to help, I am not trying to hide that. Ive addressed all points of your argument, you can say I havent but the fact is I have.

You disagree in this paragraph about the symbol, yet you say it wouldn't bother you in the paragraph above. Answer me this. How many players would go for pmod status if the crown was removed, and how many mods would bother to 'police' the game? Honest answer please.

Address how removing mods would help the runescape community since your capable of answering everything, Id prefer to keep rule breakers held down instead of giving them a new life by removing mods just because some of them arent great.

A baseless argument, as everyone can report.

Im not interested in my own ego or status, as said before if they could remove all rule breaking without mods Id be happy to lose that crown. If they could do more good by cutting down on mods to ensure quality Id gladly accept that if it means I keep my status or not.

Subjective. At this time, this isn't going to happen so its like me saying 'ooooo Id love to be a mod'. Just aint gonna happen.

edit--the need for some symbol is there to prevent false mod claims, some players will get scammed whatever and I agree it becomes their own fault at some point. If we keep some mod symbol(silver bar or whatever) it allows experienced players to help less experienced players by telling them what a mod looks like, and it ensures that anything said under the guise of modship is "fact checked".

As I've said, if players get scammed its their own fault. If they follow false prophets then they lack any common sense, or they are 10 years old. Most players are happy to help less experienced players. It does not require a mod to do this.

I have seen some these mods 'guide' as you put it. I particularly like the 'sorry cant help', 'im too busy' etc. You tell me that mods do a great job. While a small minority do, I've seen the above examples a fair amount. And do not tell me you've said this to players. I know you'll think 'yeah but Im a player too and I need time off'. Fine, give the crown back and go back to being a normal player again. If the threat of removing their crown was enforced for not helping players then I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

Another thing is Mods are instant mutes. If you submit a report, it could take days, if not weeks before they are looked at. Spammers and people using offensive language can be muted instantly.

Owned_Nex.png

ima finally kill that quote box :lol:

What we dont need is a load of mod wannabe's dishonouring the game by flinging report after report to go for modship. Where is the honour in that? And don't deny this does not happen because it does! What happened to common sense?

then jagex should work harder to filter their player mod recruits and remove people who were clearly report hunting. Remember, im not defending bad mods, im defending the need for good mods.

Correct. We don't need you.

subjective, find one piece of evidence that I behave in a way that is not like the ideal mod you want other then being "on a high horse" which is a baseless claim.

Your analogy has no merit and here's why. A cop is the equivalent of a Jagex mod doing the rounds. Its his job, he's paid to do it and he doesn't get anything extra for it. A Pmod is the equivalent of your next door neighbour sticking on a police uniform coming round your house, then making complaints about you because your grass is too high, or the tyre pressures in your car are too low. Basically looking for trouble. He wants the status but he's not really 'up there'. Basically a plastic cop without any of the merits of a real cop.

a player mod is the equivilant of a civilian watch service regulated by the police or community, since the cops (jagex) recruit them its incorrect to compare them to pesky neighbors, which I might note is not the type of mods im defending

You have maintaned the high ground all along. Come down a bit more, stop trying to be clever as....well I'll be honest...You're just not very good at it.

As far as the bots question goes read a_local_guy's previous couple of posts. I believe he covered that. You don't need a crown to remove a bot. It takes a report and thats it. And you're right, there would'nt be riots, except from those who are afraid to lose their status. My main argument all along!

Your not answering me, im not on a high horse because im on a high horse what is your basis for claiming this? Secondly, youve been trying to use smart comments to discredit valid points and flinging personal insults so I have to assume your the one trying to be "clever"

So your existence is justfied because they can remove a few bots or advertisements? These are not 'whims' as you put it. In an earlier post I explained that at first I thought pmods were ok. My opinion changed when I really started to get to know them. So I started asking questions and I wasn't impressed with the replies. Its an opinion I have formed over the 3 years of playing. Not just overnight.

the advert bots arent the justification for existence, they are justification for maintaining a player mod community. Creating something (mods) for a given reason doesnt mean when that reason is gone removing them is a good idea. Jagex should look into refining who they have as mods etc. getting rid of all of them would be akin to firing every employee at a factory because one came into work drunk. If you have a splinter you pull it out, you dont cut off your arm

You disagree in this paragraph about the symbol, yet you say it wouldn't bother you in the paragraph above. Answer me this. How many players would go for pmod status if the crown was removed, and how many mods would bother to 'police' the game? Honest answer please.

I said I would be fine with losing my modship if it helped overall, there is a difference between being a crownless mod and not being a mod. I think removing all symbols of modship is asking for trouble, I dont however object to something more discrete because the crown is there to say "I am a player moderator" not "I am better then you"

A baseless argument, as everyone can report.

Everyone can report; however, the prescense of an "cop" has a tendency to deter "crime". There are obviously limits, and noone is suggesting mods acting like martial law is a good idea.

Subjective. At this time, this isn't going to happen so its like me saying 'ooooo Id love to be a mod'. Just aint gonna happen

So I cant know what I would do unless the situation is imminent? Its a pretty trivial choice in the grand scheme of things, there isnt any moral ambiguity here so no reason to believe I cant answer truthfully. Im not so wrapped up in my modship that I would actually be mortified if I lost it, I may say "darn" but if there is a good reason then at least it had a good result.

I have seen some these mods 'guide' as you put it. I particularly like the 'sorry cant help', 'im too busy' etc. You tell me that mods do a great job. While a small minority do, I've seen the above examples a fair amount. And do not tell me you've said this to players.

as stated a million times we both agree that bad mods shoud be dealth with. At worst, if the question is something very trivial I will redirect them to the knowledge base. Whenever a player asks how to make money(im terrible at it btw) I give them a list of some of the more basic methods(green drags, flax, spinning bs, slayer). When players ask how I became a mod I say by obeying the rules and reporting (serious) rule breakers. Even for mods there is a limit on help, Im not going to take a player through an entire quest but I will tell them how to complete the next step or two etc.

Finally,

my main problem with your line of thought is that in gist your method is

a. mods are supposed to be very good people b. some mods arent very good people c. we should remove all mods because they are more harm then good.

my method in gist is

a. mods are supposed to be very good people b. some mods arent very good people c. we need to work to refine the moderating process because a select few good mods are better for the rs community then no mods.

awteno.jpg

Quit being an idiot about this - if you ever talk to the town crier NPC, you'll see this is exactly what it says. I'm quoting Jagex on this one, you're quoting no one.

Quit trying to put the burden of proof on us, just because your logic is flawed and your conclusions are full of holes.

The more I read of your comments, the more I suspect you're a flame baiter. Calling me an idiot serves no purpose. Are you like this in game?

How do you think Jagex's ears twitch to potential mods? It's not your charming personality. This is the debate forum, which means the burden of proof works both ways. All you have given me is the party line. I talk to players, inclusive of mods. Read previous posts for more info.

For everyone else who didn't see this, this flaw in persuasion is called argumentum ad hominem. The only reason I said "idiot fruitcake hugger" is because that's how I felt about this individual that was cussed out. You're also taking what I said out of context. Why did I have to state that - everyone was a bit peeved at this individual, but here was the only person to cuss them out.

When you start calling players 'idiot fruitcake huggers', even in retrospect on the forums, it says a lot about you. You cussed them out? So what did you do, start a flame war? You're so noble, did common sense tell any of you to put him on ignore? No, because you had to get your words in. This is the context I'm taking this in as these are YOUR words.

... "a bad dose of sensitivity" - is that why we report people? Because we're too sensitive? No, its because someone broke the rules, and the right thing to do is report them.

I think you should look at the way you conduct yourself, before you look at others.

Quit breaking my points up and taking what I've said out of context. It gets really annoying. Whenever I have a point, it contains one idea. I format my posts so there isn't a wall of text, and whitespace breaks up points. When you break an idea down, it means you're not getting what I'm saying and you're just looking for the sound bit to "nail me on" so you can proclaim that you're automagically right.

I can address your points more fully if I quote you. If it really bothers you when I pick you apart, then pick an easier thread. I'm not looking to 'nail you', its called debate.

Does muting someone who floods/spams the chatbox with @@@@@ make the game better for everyone? How about muting someone who uses autotalk? Or what about reporting scammers, and other rule breakers, and have their reports go through faster because Jagex knows they're accurate? I've given examples where Pmods serve a purpose, so you can't accurately make that generic statement anymore.

A silver crown is needed for this? You've missed the point on most of the posts here so you can't accurately read very well.

ima finally kill that quote box :lol:

That's why you've used it yourself here :roll:

then jagex should work harder to filter their player mod recruits and remove people who were clearly report hunting. Remember, im not defending bad mods, im defending the need for good mods.

We all know the process starts by looking for reports, or do you not admit this? Or does it come on the 'Im not allowed to tell you that' list.

subjective, find one piece of evidence that I behave in a way that is not like the ideal mod you want other then being "on a high horse" which is a baseless claim.

Is that why you're getting so shirty about it? You've spent x number of posts lecturing me about why mods are good, and then don't like it if I answer back. It's a sign of someone a bit too used to getting their own way. Thats the high horse.

a player mod is the equivilant of a civilian watch service regulated by the police or community, since the cops (jagex) recruit them its incorrect to compare them to pesky neighbors, which I might note is not the type of mods im defending

Ok we'll take that point. Most people know those that make up a civilian watch is the local busybody, who loves to cause trouble.

Your not answering me, im not on a high horse because im on a high horse what is your basis for claiming this? Secondly, youve been trying to use smart comments to discredit valid points and flinging personal insults so I have to assume your the one trying to be "clever"

I believe I answered you perfectly by directing you to another post. I don't need to fling insults at you. I let people do that by themselves. I don't need be "clever". Is it the case that I'm using smart comments or you just unhappy that I've put forward valid points which you've had to credit me for? If you think I'm insulting you fine, go report me for it and leave this debate.

the advert bots arent the justification for existence, they are justification for maintaining a player mod community. Creating something (mods) for a given reason doesnt mean when that reason is gone removing them is a good idea. Jagex should look into refining who they have as mods etc. getting rid of all of them would be akin to firing every employee at a factory because one came into work drunk. If you have a splinter you pull it out, you dont cut off your arm

Ok, we'll stick with that idea. Considering how many do it for the crown that leaves.......1 or 2 left I suppose. Are we talking the 'common sense' mods here who actually use some form of discretion, apply a little common sense, dont blot the screen up with self importance and who do not mind not having a crown? Sure I'd happy with that!

I said I would be fine with losing my modship if it helped overall, there is a difference between being a crownless mod and not being a mod. I think removing all symbols of modship is asking for trouble, I dont however object to something more discrete because the crown is there to say "I am a player moderator" not "I am better then you"

A crownless mod can perform the duties of any mod. Mutes can still be performed. It does not need to be visible. A mod does not have to say 'hey im a mod'. If a player starts obscenities a 'steady there mate no need for that'. If it continues then further action can be taken with the player muted. That player is less likely to do that again as they won't know if a mod is present.

Everyone can report; however, the prescense of an "cop" has a tendency to deter "crime". There are obviously limits, and noone is suggesting mods acting like martial law is a good idea.

Disagree. Its this status element that promotes players to report like the clappers. Its what many do it for.

So I cant know what I would do unless the situation is imminent? Its a pretty trivial choice in the grand scheme of things, there isnt any moral ambiguity here so no reason to believe I cant answer truthfully. Im not so wrapped up in my modship that I would actually be mortified if I lost it, I may say "darn" but if there is a good reason then at least it had a good result.

Why would you say 'darn'? It goes against the grain of the crown never being important to you.

as stated a million times we both agree that bad mods shoud be dealth with. At worst, if the question is something very trivial I will redirect them to the knowledge base. Whenever a player asks how to make money(im terrible at it btw) I give them a list of some of the more basic methods(green drags, flax, spinning bs, slayer). When players ask how I became a mod I say by obeying the rules and reporting (serious) rule breakers. Even for mods there is a limit on help, Im not going to take a player through an entire quest but I will tell them how to complete the next step or two etc.

Don't disagree with many aspects here, but I've had to answer simple questions or give advice where mods won't. Again goes with the bad mods element.

Finally,

my main problem with your line of thought is that in gist your method is

a. mods are supposed to be very good people b. some mods arent very good people c. we should remove all mods because they are more harm then good.

my method in gist is

a. mods are supposed to be very good people b. some mods arent very good people c. we need to work to refine the moderating process because a select few good mods are better for the rs community then no mods.

Until the status of modship is removed then yes. If you'd put in to your own gist, point c. Removal of visible status, I'd agree with you 100%.

Yeah, alot of people do want to be mods for the little crown. But I think that is encouraging players to report for a better reason. Now, most people in the game are -10 years old. The game is aimed at kids. They wouldn't care about reporting if they didn't "get" something back. IF its just false reporting, then it will usually be descovered unless it is fairly complex. A little bit of rule breaking IS rule breaking.

Encouraging players to report for status? Great snitches are us eh? According to Jagex the game is NOT aimed at kids. And getting something back for snitching on others is quite dangerous. As far as rule breaking IS rule breaking is concerned then this smacks of a complete lack of common sense.

The littering of mod chat is unfortunate, but for the most part people DO play with chat on. They don't want people to turn chat off, and claim they heard nothing.

I do play with the chat off at times and its very unfortunate. I just don't need the babble littering my screen.

Some mods will just block or teleport. That is because they've been asked the same questions by hundreds if not thousands of players. and don't want to talk with little kids.

Take the rough with the smooth. If they don't want to talk with kids then it shows a lack of tolerance.

Mods sometimes do feel powerful. Don't be intimidated, since if they mtue you for no reason, you can just report them and complain

Lol I'd never feel intimiated by them. A few have tried it on, but haven't got anywhere. Its the misuse of what they have that bothers me more.

Erm...yes it has as its much harder to transfer funds with limits in place.

Ive officially decided we are just going to disagree for all eternity lol

btw, I was just joking about the amount of quotes on this page

just a few things to respond to before I try to redirect this

Why would you say 'darn'? It goes against the grain of the crown never being important to you.

id say darn because I wouldnt really care but there would be that brief flicker of disappointment, its pretty human to have some thought of annoyance if you lose something. If I was that self interested Id go on a twenty hour f bomb spree.

Ok, we'll stick with that idea. Considering how many do it for the crown that leaves.......1 or 2 left I suppose. Are we talking the 'common sense' mods here who actually use some form of discretion, apply a little common sense, dont blot the screen up with self importance and who do not mind not having a crown? Sure I'd happy with that!

There are more mods like this then you think, in fact jagex instructs all mods to use discretion before reporting such as tell someone to stop spamming if its nothing vial etc. Self important speech is a little subjective, but I advise just not letting yourself be bothered I mean its just a person talking on a game. Personally, I try not to report people for anything that isnt bad(I really dont care if someone says suck, and ive never reported someone for saying their age for instance) but Im probably more liberal with reporting then you approve of.

oh and, while I cant personally be sure I strongly suspect jagex has some safeguards to prevent modship for report hunting. This system seems to need some added rigor, but I doubt anyone has gotten modship for reporting people that said what country they lived in.

since were starting to go in circles just a thought for discussion.

what potential would a toggle crown have as an update? It would seem that if a mod could turn off/on his crown it woudl avoid two problems

a. a mod that doesnt want to answer questions could talk without being pointed out as a player

b. someone claiming to be a mod would instantly have a group of players demanding to see the crown, which would kill that scam pretty quickly

Id continue the discussion from before, but lets be honest. We are just going to play back and forth for ever since we are basically disagreeing on a few key points neither of us is going to change their opinion on.

edit--jr, any reason you double post so much?

awteno.jpg

When you start calling players 'idiot fruitcake huggers', even in retrospect on the forums, it says a lot about you. You cussed them out? So what did you do, start a flame war? You're so noble, did common sense tell any of you to put him on ignore? No, because you had to get your words in. This is the context I'm taking this in as these are YOUR words.

I don't think you understood what I was saying.

Let me lay it out so you can understand.

-I was playing the minigame The Great Orb Project. It is a team game, so when a player doesn't know what they're doing, it hurts the rest of the team.

-There was a particular individual who was not able to heed the advice of his teammates - for instance, he would hold onto an orb until it stopped moving, then continued to hang on to it.

-I dislike these types of players, the clan I'm in calls them "Idiot fruitcake huggers". Anyhow, I was annoyed at this individual, but I never called him an Idiot fruitcake hugger.

-The rest of my team was starting to get annoyed with this individual, so they started to tell him to get off the orb, and play defense on the other team.

-The individual, just stood there hugging the orb.

-Another person on my team told this individual that he was f***less. The censor did not star out what it should have done.

I reported that individual. There was no mod there, so the guy was still able to cuss out the "Idiot fruitcake hugger". I doubt Jagex has yet taken action against the guy who cussed out the hugger. If there was a mod there, not only would the guy have been muted on the spot, but he would probably receive a permanent mute. That would have been an appropriate use of a player moderator.

I think you should look at the way you conduct yourself, before you look at others.

How does this relate to a debate? You're still attacking me, not the point I made. It makes me think that you don't know how to debate, or you've got nothing left to say.

I can address your points more fully if I quote you. If it really bothers you when I pick you apart, then pick an easier thread. I'm not looking to 'nail you', its called debate.

I'm not telling you to stop quoting me, I'm telling you to stop quoting individual sentences in some point. You're taking what I say out of context, and when you break a point of 4-5 sentences up into individual quotes and talk about each one, it means either missed the entire point, or you can't disagree with the entire point, so you'll just have to settle with disagreeing with sentences in the point.

Does muting someone who floods/spams the chatbox with @@@@@ make the game better for everyone? How about muting someone who uses autotalk? Or what about reporting scammers, and other rule breakers, and have their reports go through faster because Jagex knows they're accurate? I've given examples where Pmods serve a purpose, so you can't accurately make that generic statement anymore.

A silver crown is needed for this? You've missed the point on most of the posts here so you can't accurately read very well.

I never said a silver crown was needed for it - But I have said there needs to be an easy way to know if the player is a moderator or not.

The title of your thread is PMods - Purpose or Status? - I'm maintaining that player moderators serve a purpose, even if they "snitch" on others to get that status.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Encouraging players to report for status? Great snitches are us eh? According to Jagex the game is NOT aimed at kids. And getting something back for snitching on others is quite dangerous. As far as rule breaking IS rule breaking is concerned then this smacks of a complete lack of common sense.

Yes, I think we should all be "snitches". A little bit of rule breaking is rule breaking.

I do play with the chat off at times and its very unfortunate. I just don't need the babble littering my screen.

Its extremely rare for that. If you really hate it, hop worlds?

Take the rough with the smooth. If they don't want to talk with kids then it shows a lack of tolerance.

if someone asking you the same question, 50 times every day, would you answer them all?

Lol I'd never feel intimiated by them. A few have tried it on, but haven't got anywhere. Its the misuse of what they have that bothers me more.

What misuse? What they do is scruitinized even more because they already muted someone.

Erm...yes it has as its much harder to transfer funds with limits in place.

BH, PvP, Junk. First three things that come to mind.

Owned_Nex.png

Ok, this cannot be called debate since it's all about perception. Perception of a pro-mod, and perception of an anti-mod. It's like a debate about religion or politics, it's all about impression of the debaters about the topic at hand -- not facts versus another facts of the same intensity yet opposing sides.

For me, if an individual keeps on looking at the "bad side" of everything -- he/she subconciously focus only with the negative stuff --- that's how a human brain works;)

Think of a pure white paper, with two or three black dots on it. A negative thinker will always point out the flaws due to those dots, while a positive thinker will still consider the paper good.

Right now, all I see on this thread -- after observing it for a week is it just going circles. I say there's no point of continuing, as arguments used by both sides basically are majorly based on personal biased perception. We see the same thing but interpret it differently, it is based with our "programming" -- the environment we are used to, how we are raised and the influential people that surrounds us.

That's why this type of thread is not allowed to be posted at Runescape Official Forums, because it does not produce something productive -- it just breeds flaming, after flaming after flaming. Since this is a fansite and have relaxed rules, we end up seeing namecalling and flamebating like crazy:P

I say it again folks, this thread died since the first post. Thank you for reading.

Ok, this cannot be called debate since it's all about perception. Perception of a pro-mod, and perception of an anti-mod. It's like a debate about religion or politics, it's all about impression of the debaters about the topic at hand -- not facts versus another facts of the same intensity yet opposing sides.

For me, if an individual keeps on looking at the "bad side" of everything -- he/she subconciously focus only with the negative stuff --- that's how a human brain works;)

Think of a pure white paper, with two or three black dots on it. A negative thinker will always point out the flaws due to those dots, while a positive thinker will still consider the paper good.

Right now, all I see on this thread -- after observing it for a week is it just going circles. I say there's no point of continuing, as arguments used by both sides basically are majorly based on personal biased perception. We see the same thing but interpret it differently, it is based with our "programming" -- the environment we are used to, how we are raised and the influential people that surrounds us.

That's why this type of thread is not allowed to be posted at Runescape Official Forums, because it does not produce something productive -- it just breeds flaming, after flaming after flaming. Since this is a fansite and have relaxed rules, we end up seeing namecalling and flamebating like crazy:P

I say it again folks, this thread died since the first post. Thank you for reading.

Actually you're very wrong about this. Debate does not have to be fact and it can be opinion based. Philosophy, religion and even science (take Einstien and his theory of relativity). This is where new ideas, new theories etc come from. So really you can't say it isn't when it is.

Although I've not necessarily agreed with some of these guys I've learned a lot from debating the points. and in some cases actually found some common ground.

So unless you have got anything to add to the debate, please take your moral high ground elsewhere.

I'll answer all other posts later, after work. On lunchbreak. :ohnoes:

Actually you're very wrong about this. Debate does not have to be fact and it can be opinion based. Philosophy, religion and even science (take Einstien and his theory of relativity). This is where new ideas, new theories etc come from. So really you can't say it isn't when it is.

Although I've not necessarily agreed with some of these guys I've learned a lot from debating the points. and in some cases actually found some common ground.

So unless you have got anything to add to the debate, please take your moral high ground elsewhere.

I'll answer all other posts later, after work. On lunchbreak. :ohnoes:

Actually, Fact must be taken into account where it can be applied relavent to the topic discussed.

Owned_Nex.png

To mmmcannibalism

I dont think you could be too liberal in the sense you are talking. Its a good thing you dont report for this, that and the other.

The toggle, while I see where you are coming from, only really works for point B. Very few mods would leave it turned on for obvious reasons. At least youre honest enough to say youd take a knock if they removed the crown. I still think you enjoy the status of it to some degree, but I think thats been debated enough.

I could even handle blocking mods and hiding their chat. In all honesty Ive not tried blocking a mod as I couldnt hide the text, so I figured putting them on the ignore list doesnt work either. Even that would be a godsend.

I didnt think I was double posting. They are all separate posters. I may have overly included some quotes.

I don't think you understood what I was saying.

Let me lay it out so you can understand.

-I was playing the minigame The Great Orb Project. It is a team game, so when a player doesn't know what they're doing, it hurts the rest of the team.

-There was a particular individual who was not able to heed the advice of his teammates - for instance, he would hold onto an orb until it stopped moving, then continued to hang on to it.

-I dislike these types of players, the clan I'm in calls them "Idiot fruitcake huggers". Anyhow, I was annoyed at this individual, but I never called him an Idiot fruitcake hugger.

-The rest of my team was starting to get annoyed with this individual, so they started to tell him to get off the orb, and play defense on the other team.

-The individual, just stood there hugging the orb.

-Another person on my team told this individual that he was f***less. The censor did not star out what it should have done.

I reported that individual. There was no mod there, so the guy was still able to cuss out the "Idiot fruitcake hugger". I doubt Jagex has yet taken action against the guy who cussed out the hugger. If there was a mod there, not only would the guy have been muted on the spot, but he would probably receive a permanent mute. That would have been an appropriate use of a player moderator.

Doesn't read like what you wrote last time. You just made it up to cover your own tracks.

How does this relate to a debate? You're still attacking me, not the point I made. It makes me think that you don't know how to debate, or you've got nothing left to say.

I'm referring to the fact you resort to direct flaming to call me an idiot. As far as debate is concerned thats what I'm doing on the forums at the minute. I don't need to attack you as you demonstrate a 99 skill in that area. I also have plenty to say thanks 8-)

I'm not telling you to stop quoting me, I'm telling you to stop quoting individual sentences in some point. You're taking what I say out of context, and when you break a point of 4-5 sentences up into individual quotes and talk about each one, it means either missed the entire point, or you can't disagree with the entire point, so you'll just have to settle with disagreeing with sentences in the point.

Nope I just answer the paragraphs that YOU write. I haven't missed anything, but thanks for the advice on the matter. Don't let it bother you too much as smashing up your keyboard over this is not worth it.

I never said a silver crown was needed for it - But I have said there needs to be an easy way to know if the player is a moderator or not.

The title of your thread is PMods - Purpose or Status? - I'm maintaining that player moderators serve a purpose, even if they "snitch" on others to get that status.

And I disagree. For most its status. As far as snitching is concerned then thats your opinion. I dont feel I have to stoop that low to get a status, I'd rather skill any day. But if its snitching you agree with then I hope some day someone is kind enough to return the favour to you.

Re-Pantim

Really? Tell us something we dont know. I said it does not have to be fact. Doh!!

Its obvious where your interests lie. We should snitch on everyone no matter what. As I said to 1seesall perhaps someone will be kind enough to enforce these rules if you mess up yourself.

Why the lack of patience for other players? I get questioned all time for my agility cape. Its always the same Where you train, how long for, how long will it take from level x (insert number here). So what? I didnt think modship was a when I can be bothered routine. It just adds to my point of doing it for the status instead of doing what a mod should be about.

As far as PVP and Junk are concerned the new CEO seems to love them. Read his posts and bring it up with him if you think it encourages bots. Not sure what the BH is though.

Re-Pantim

Really? Tell us something we dont know. I said it does not have to be fact. Doh!!

Its obvious where your interests lie. We should snitch on everyone no matter what. As I said to 1seesall perhaps someone will be kind enough to enforce these rules if you mess up yourself.

Why the lack of patience for other players? I get questioned all time for my agility cape. Its always the same Where you train, how long for, how long will it take from level x (insert number here). So what? I didnt think modship was a when I can be bothered routine. It just adds to my point of doing it for the status instead of doing what a mod should be about.

As far as PVP and Junk are concerned the new CEO seems to love them. Read his posts and bring it up with him if you think it encourages bots. Not sure what the BH is though.

Stop this BS. You accuse me of "hiding", "cheap shots" and "snitching". Just answer my points. Don't give these BS excuses. If you want everything to be one sided, go to the Rants forum, and rant on p mods.

On a side note, the comment about Junk trading and PvP were answered by Andrew, not the new CEO.

Owned_Nex.png