"Eww, you play RuneScape?"

JustPokemon

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate that, especialy since its a great game, thats more extensive then most other online games on the market.

wither_slick.gif

wither_slick.png

It is dangerous to be right in matters where established men are wrong. - Voltaire

Behind this mask there is more then flesh, there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof. - V

When the time comes, Don't hesitate, Just Act. - Wolf O Donnal - Star Fox Assault.

I find that the people who actually care that you play Runescape are:

.people who play or have played

.people with absolutely no life what-so-ever

A perfect example is one of my friends, in-real-life, who is an academic year younger than me, I'm Year 10. He used to play but quit a while ago, I never knew him from it, I met him at Primary school. We both have Xbox 360's so whilst on that I mentioned Runescape and his reaction was:

"Wow, OMG, u play runescape"

(Bearing in mind that he lived on his 360 for ages and tries to hide the fact by now living on Windows Live Messenger)

I've never been addicted to Runescape or my 360, and never will be, but when I do go on I enjoy myself and rightly so.

Earlier today I signed into Xbox Live only to find him on Messenger and instantly got into conversation with me, saying:

him-ha,ha you play runescape, nerd

me-Your point is?

him-nerd nerd nerd

me-I suppose that is why I have a life, unlike yourself?

him-*signs out*

I suppose what I'm saying is that handle the situation how you want, you never know, they might be in the same situation as you.

"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they dont shrink to fit inferior players." - Jock Stein

Yeah, some kids at school do call me a nerd and poor because I go for poor mans WOW. Funny though, because I've played WOW and I tell them that I find WOW to be boring as hell. Fetch questing for an entire game doesn't appeal to me. Runescape has a back story and is more fun. I don't care what people think though, I enjoy playing the game, and as long as I do no ones going to make me play something else by making fun of me.

Gamers are a diverse community and I always find myself in that bad position where I hate Halo and WOW, and instead prefer lower class games like Runescape and Red Faction, ones not many people play.

Still, I'll just tell you, if someone gets on your nerves making fun of your gaming choices, as long as you enjoy what your playing, don't take their words with a grain of salt.

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

This does annoy me, but I wouldn't want to talk about it in real life regardless. I've always found it awkward to talk about RuneScape subjects in real life. Why? Think about it. Try saying out loud, "I pwned a noob in RuneScape with a dclaw spec and got a dfs". Not sure if this feels weird to others, but it does for me.

j0xPu5R.png

Okay, I think this thread appeals to younger players like myself (age 13). But it could appeal to older players too, I really dont have the experience...

Has anyone ever heard you talk about RuneScape, or seen you play RuneScape, then they say something like, "Eww, you (still) play RuneScape? Nerd. Im gonna tell _____!" This happens to me on occasion, since I do play RuneScape. A lot of my friends used to play RuneScape, and Ive always been the best out of them all. By now, Im the only one left who still plays RuneScape, and everyone else is on to PS3, Xbox 360, or other MMORPGs. So they make fun of people to play RuneScape because they think that the game is for people of the age that they were when they were playing.

As for myself, I dont go on much, maybe 8-10 hours per week, max. So its pretty easy for me to hide the fact that I still play. But my friends who find out can get pretty annoying. If anyone asks me if I play RuneScape, then I just say no and then they go like, "Why you lieing?" or "Yeah, OKAY...".

I have some good friends who are okay with the fact that I still play, but someitmes I wouldnt even say that I play. Id just say that I go on for updates only, and thats it.

So basically, Ive hidden my RuneScape life from the real world. All because people my age care a lot about what their peers think and say about them, and its pretty annoying.

It's because most 13 year olds (not saying you or any of your friends are) are very sensitive to peer approval and wanna make themselves feel good or they're insecure.

This feels exceptional on my under-carriage.

I don't know if this thing only happens in the USA or not because I live in Australia and no one cared or cares that I play Runescape. And I'm 23. Everyone around me just sees it as another game and as my choice to play it or not. One thing I have noticed is that its mainly WoW players that have a go at Runescape players for still playing. In reply to them I just say, what? You call me a geek for playing a cheap $5 a month MMORPG while you sit at home playing an MMORPG that you spend $15 a month on!? You call me a geek yet you pay $15 a month for just a game?

That normally shuts them up lol :thumbsup:

lol great point! :thumbsup:

Bobby681.png

Without saying what everyone said already (immature kids are sensitive to what their peers think about them) I guess there is some truth to the stereotypical 'mmorpg' player, no matter if it's RS or WOW or some other fantasy game.

The few random WoW players I met in real life age 16-25 were without exception socially awkward (everything they said and did just distanced them from other people), significantly overweight, reads masses of sci-fi and even Halo books while not on a computer, and lived at their parents either playing the game full-time or only studying & playing.

The few RS players I've met during my life were mostly pretty normal people, who spent maybe 1-2 hours a day playing the game, some days not playing at all.

It would be a lie to say RS players are more "normal" than WoW players, because all kinds of people play both games. But if you pay $15 a month, you're sort of committing yourself to spending hours & hours on a game which can affect a person & his health negatively. I haven't paid for RS or even played it actively since 2002/3, but it's always available for free at no commitment if you want to log in just for fun, to check if any old friends play etc.

I hide my runescape life from the other kids my age too lol....im 17 lmao...i think more people play runescape than let on...they say things like "Ewww, you play Runescape?" just to hide the fact that they do and put everyone elses attention on the other person. seriously though, i have friends that are 17+ that play runescape...and ill probably still play in college

"You laugh at me because I'm different, I laugh at you because you are all the same." - Jonathan Davis

This thread reminds me that anyone who says "I don't care what other people think" is full of crap.

The few random WoW players I met in real life age 16-25 were without exception socially awkward (everything they said and did just distanced them from other people), significantly overweight, reads masses of sci-fi and even Halo books while not on a computer, and lived at their parents either playing the game full-time or only studying & playing.

So true, and especially hilarious because if you replace 'Wow' with 'runescape', 'socially awkward' with 'complete extrovert', 'reads masses of sci-fi and even Halo books' with 'rarely reads anything' and 'lived at their parents' with 'lives across the ocean from their parents' then I fit the stereotype perfectly ::'

In all seriousness it's pretty much true. Even if a lot of the WoW plays I know surprisingly tell me about their girlfriends (who do exist, unless these guys are freaks who make frames of random girls and photoshop their pictures into their couch) they are all, without exception, insecure nerdy male virgins.

76th to reach 99 Construction on 6th of February 2007

379th to reach 99 Runecrafting on 4th of November 2007

BlueSig6.jpg

Finally the secrets of goal achieving are revealed! (give my guide a read :^_^: )

(seriously, he actually skipped school once just to play =\)

Try: 1 week for Mechscape when it releases. :thumbsup:

About 3 weeks total for CoD4, 4-6 weeks for Halo3/Runescape and 1 month for old Xbox.

;)

Think you guys would tease the [bleep] outta me :|

onyx7890.png

Current goal: Legends, Regicide, Roving Elf's, Barrows RFD, 95+ Attack.

I'm 15, last year runescape was one of the long list of pathetic things i was continuously picked on in school for by people who: had either never played themselves, had not done so in years, or were unable to do so because of a serious lack of IQ points.

I seem to recall the new ceo saying he didn't think runescape was percieved as a childish game (I may be wrong). If i'm right the the new ceo is WRONG, the most common insult I would get was probably:"Why the hell would you play that [cabbage]ty kids game?'

Like you, I have "friends" and people I know who used to have accounts when we were like ten and their memories are probably limited to rsc graphics and grinding grain for cooks assistant, though now most have stopped. I think it's probably that group of ex players which has lead to the bad reputation the game has in my school.

Once they've done insulting me and the game, some of them will ask me my skills, and have you got any 99s?This is where the whole no-life, geek, nerd etc. thing really kicks off. If it wasn't so irritating I would laugh at this. My favourite retort is how is playing rs any worse than spending your nights/weekends watching movies alone in your bedroom, having no control over what happens in the film and having no decisions to make other than which chip packet to open next. the response is generally something along the lines of: "Movies are better."

Also, I live in Australia so this "issue" is not limited to the US. -.-

4D485FC689.png

4d485fc689.png

4d485fc689.png

I'm 22 and there was only one time I got some funny looks for playing. That was last year when I was working an extra job during spring break and the bosses son saw me playing on my laptop on my lunch break. He though it was weird someone "So old" played but then asked me all this advice on it. Other than that there was only one odd look from a co-worker when we were discussing the updates. :P

But hey teens have always had it rough. Just point out it requires far less commitment then WoW or some other MMO's and is twice as much fun.

Stupid.png

Just point out it requires far less commitment then WoW or some other MMO's and is twice as much fun.

I wouldnt say that, since none of my friends play MMORPGs...

But I didnt know that. The only other MMORPG Ive played is MapleStory (cuz my friends played o.O), which is really childish....

most people I know simply don't ask =D> a few people know I do, but most play rs.

but I try and hide that I play. I have one idiot friend who keeps asking "how do I train my range???" so he came up to me at lunch, and I'm like, "stfu, I'll ttyl about this :evil: " and he shut up

but I try and hide it.

P.S. not to hijack forum or anything, but how do runescapers find eachother??? I always find other people who play runescape somehow.

Indie_Kids.png

"Don't push me; what's the hurry?" - Imogen Heap

Two of my real good friends play runescape because I got them to play again. We usually talk about it openly in class and get laughs out of people but not anything mean. I met a couple kids who played and one kid in class sent me a note asking if I really played because he thought it was weird that I would play but he too played.

b_a_r_n_3_y.png

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the people on my friends list are aged 16-25+

I've kinda quit for a while though, Ill start up when I'm done with school (this is my last year).

People formed this grudge against RS early on in my grade at school, basically all the WoW [bleep]s ganging up on us. Tbh, I don't really like WoW it's way too complicated and I found it boring (I've started a few new accounts and played on my friend's lv80 account). The combat is just [cabbage] and clunky.

I apprieciate RS for it's style and simplicity, it's an original appropriation of it's genre, albeit not perfect.

It's ok, it gets better when you're older. In college people only make fun of you if you can't drink, they dont care about rs, (i'm pretty good at both) \'

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Vintage_Phil.png

I've been to the Crunch once...

Nobody but one person knows I play RS, and that person isn't exactly popular city (he's one of my best friends though) And he actually played WoW for a while, so I can threaten him with that if he wants to tell others. Most people don't even know what RS is in my school though, so yeah.

PM me for fitocracy invite

Some of the people I worked with over the summer play, ranging from age 13 to late thirties. There's more closet Runescapers out there than you'd think...

Orioles8.png asciibacon.jpg

Orioles8.png

mostorganized2.jpg

*~72,749th to 99 Attack on 9 September 2009~*