Bring in the "µ" Hammerban!

sees_all1

Poll  

1. 1. Poll

Lots of buzz over the past 12 hours, with many recent, and different viewpoints on how to approach the aftermath of the situation.

With Penguin Bannings still fresh in our minds, what do you think jagex should do to deal with this fresh, new bug abuse?

Things to consider:

-A server rollback affects ALL players, including ones that weren't initially affected by µ. All data would be wiped from the last save point, which could have been ages ago.

-IP Banning everyone who used µ, even just to "test it out" may be seen as unfair to those who legitimately, accidentally entered it in.

-This is a clear case of Bug Abuse, a big No-No in Jagex's eyes.

-People have lost items in PvP situations, but Jagex hasn't been known to give items back.

When posting, please keep it to: Jagex should do this... and refrain from Jagex will do this, or won't do this.

Also keep in mind that the difficulty of the suggestion shouldn't be considered, for instance, it may be incredibly difficult to find all players with qwerty keyboards under the age of 12 in their mothers basement, who don't have a functioning number pad - that told someone else about the glitch as soon as he realized it - but if your suggestion is, all players in that situation should receive 3 blackmarks because spreading the bug abuse is as bad as using it yourself - go for it.

Lastly, if you're going to disagree with someone, please provide logical reasoning behind your disagreement. Putting in a thoughtful suggestion is rather difficult, and simply posting "that won't work" as a response is irritating.

Lets have a good debate!

My idea: Anyone who entered µ into the chatbox more than 3 times should receive at least 1 blackmark, unless they sent in a bug report.

Anyone who entered µ into the chatbox while in a PVP or dangerous situation after entering it more than 3 times should be permanently banned.

Anyone who spread the alt codes to other characters IN GAME should receive at least 1 blackmark.

Anyone who lost a large amount of items, or a large amount of value due to the bug abuse should be given the option to "revert to their last saved profile" - that is, they lose all xp in the given time period, but they gain back their items. That way, people don't abuse reverting, and it will only happen for the most grave of circumstances.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

How do you accidentally enter a code that requires Alt+*random numbers*?

sadukar123.jpg

sadukar123.png

Drops:

Misc: Abyssal Whip x28 , Dark Bow x5, Beserker Ring x3, Warrior ring x1

Dragon: Dragon Platelegs x2 , Dragon Plateskirt x2, Dragon Boots x38, Dragon Med Helm x4, Shield left half x3

Godwars: Godsword shard x13, Bandos Hilt x3, Bandos Chestplate x6, Bandos Tassets x4, Bandos Boots x5, Saradomin Sword x1, Zamorakian Spear x1,. Armadyl Helm x2, Armadyl chestplate x2.

by trying to put in another alt code and typoing, or talking about chemistry I suppose :lol:

hmm, I generally agree with the initial post that there shoudl be varying levels. I dont think anyone outside of pvp(in general not worlds) should possibly get a perma ban though.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

How do you accidentally enter a code that requires Alt+*random numbers*?

well, there are certain keyboards, espescially in european countries, that have a mu on them.

There was in fact a picture of this keyboard on one of the other threads on the general discussion.

Also, the first person to find the glitch probably was talking about mu-torrent, or talking about chemistry, or talking about physics when it happened. Then they were probably like, what the heck? and tried it again, and again for confirmation purposes. That would give enough to merit a bug report.

Then they probably told their friends, which is a big no-no. And that's how it spread.

Keep in mind that you didn't have to be in a pvp world to kill players with mu.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

I think there should be permanent band for blatant abuse of it, like if they use it in PvP, BH, or near boss hunters. Same for peopple encouraging its use.

Temporary bans, possibly even mutes for those abusing it in low risk areas.

Nothing for people who used it once or twice of curiosity, or were actually talking about the sciences involving it :lol: .

Yes, harsh, but this is a relatively game breaking bug. If you're abusing multiple times in dangerous areas to make other players lose items or to make you gain, you really have no excuse. Same as if you're encouraging it's use, which is in my opinion worse than just abusing it. If you're just griefing with it, it's a lighter punishment, but it's still a punishment.

:evil:

A rollback would be a bit extreme, though it may be necessary depending on losses.

Why would you ban them? :twss:

Can't you see? They didn't enter these codes because they were a bunch of rotten low-lifes who wanted to have fun at everyone's expense, they entered these codes becasue they are VICTIMS. Victims of a socitey that encourages this. I don't think they should be banned, I think we should use this as a teaching opportunity, and give them MEDALS for teaching us the important lesson of blah blah blah.

Ban them. Ip Ban them. Block them from even reading/entering the website. No refunds of their remaining credits.

thedayrsdieddp8fv1cq2.png

Disgruntled, Ignorant, Rude, Obnoxious, over-the-top, unreasonable Ex-PKer

Drops: Abby Whips:13/ Black Mask: 38/ Dark Bow:3

Why would you ban them? :twss:

Can't you see? They didn't enter these codes because they were a bunch of rotten low-lifes who wanted to have fun at everyone's expense, they entered these codes becasue they are VICTIMS. Victims of a socitey that encourages this. I don't think they should be banned, I think we should use this as a teaching opportunity, and give them MEDALS for teaching us the important lesson of blah blah blah.

Ban them. Ip Ban them. Block them from even reading/entering the website. No refunds of their remaining credits.

That makes no sence. There not victims, there abusers (except those who got tricked).

And Banning etc, you'd want to make sure you got the right people. someone i know was told to try it and he didnt realise what it did.

You realy should take more notice on what your saying because It looks like your trying to argue against yourself. :|

Popoto.~<3

@dark_aura: i think, his post should be sarcastic or something like that..

well i think jagex should ban those abusers even, but i dont think that a roll-back is necessary, cause everyone who lost some items back then could say "hey i lost my [put item here]" and beg for a free roll-back..

another fact is: if they did some rollbacks those days people would also ask for it in the future... for other small bugs , when they get hacked or for their own stupidness

so refusing roll-backs is alot easier for jagex and to be honest they are not that many bugs in this game.. and people who lost stuff in pvp situation should live with it, even if they lost expensive stuff.. cause its the #1 rule in wildy/pvp: dont wear anything which you are not willing to use... everything could happen.. you could get connection lost or lag badly...

but i agree that those abusers should be punished anyways..

]Gonalo40.png

• 2 weeks later...

Well if you must insist on going soft on them then so be it, I however would like to see them get a much harsher punishment for intentionally wrecking things for everyone else. Maybe a public flogging or their families being whipped through the streets :shame:

Yes, it did annoy me a lot.

No, I don't like the people who did it

jagexvote.png :thumbsup:

[url=http://www.computerandvideogames.com/joystick/vote.php][img=http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q265/mr_moocky/jagexvote.png][/url]