Melee, Ranging, and Two Slight Diversions

Hegel

[hide=]
Wow I totally love this guide! It's awesome and I feel like spot 3 is a lot better than spot 2. 10/10

I am however upset that this guide doesn't mention how to safely log out from this area. I'm down to 31 hp cause I had to go but kept running from corner to corner only to get a skeleton to attack me while i'm a monkey and just about to log off. Please tell me where the best spot to log off is at for spot 3! I had to run all the way around the bend separating spot 1 and 2 to log looking for a spot and stood on some foroff there and took lots of damage from [bleep]es (some you can't avoid but I was also panicking, a few seconds). I'll log on to have rocks fall on my head and then have to run past 2 [bleep]es again and will most likely have to cut this trip early... =/

So please, add a section to your guide about where you can log off safely!!

Thanks, I shall add that

Log at the red dot:

chinlog.png

This is quite epic, possibly one of the best guides to powertraining melee/range around. Although I am also curious as to how well void melee with a whip works too! Unfortunately I don't have the helmet, so I don't know.

The main purpose of using the spot is so that your health can get gotten low easily for dharoking. While I have not tested void melee with whip there, I am certain it gives less xp/hr, possible around 100K.

i, however, have tested it. i did not use void but i did use a whip and salve (e) and was getting close ot 120k exp/hr, and it is safer than dharoking. its where i trained 97-99 def and 96-99 str(with ss). i dont know how much exp/hr it would be with vk, though.

do not use a godsword as it is much slower, only ~90k an hour[/hide]

Hmm, is that including the xp from familiars? If not, then it will be better than I expected, and indeed better than other known whip training spots.

The greataxe cannot train defence, so a whip has to be used in this aspect. With regard to attack and strength though, I cannot see any method giving this a run for the money.

Just a slight note: I am not entirely certain, but I am quite sure that using full melee void is inferior to the standard melee equipment set.

yes, the exp is including familiars. however i now have bandos instead of proselyte and better familiars, would you like me to try it again to see how much exp/hour i get? i trained without a berserker ring aswell, which most higher level players have, and a dfs etc, it wouldnt be too much to expect with higher str+ i could get upto 125k, or maybe a little more

Rune defender>DFS. And the greataxe can train defence.

actually dfs>r def.

Are you sure +2 str > +19 slash?

2dvjurb.png

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually dfs>r def.

indeed i am. i have used rune defender there before and THE EXTRA SLASH MAKES NO DIFFERENCE. with super sets, piety and a salve amulet(e) you will amost always be hitting. ive done 2 trips to test this. one with obby shield (+5 str) and rune defender (+5 str and +19 slash) and the exp was only 1k/hr higher for the defender which can simply be down to luck (your never going to hit exactly the same between 2 trips). im sure if i did the test enough time that the split would be 50/50 on which one gets the most exp in the hour

the +2 strength will help more. ill test this to prove my hypothesis when i have time and the will to

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

And the greataxe can train defence.

I am quite sure it has only 4 combat styles available, of which 2 train attack and 2 train strength.

yes, the exp is including familiars. however i now have bandos instead of proselyte and better familiars, would you like me to try it again to see how much exp/hour i get? i trained without a berserker ring aswell, which most higher level players have, and a dfs etc, it wouldnt be too much to expect with higher str+ i could get upto 125k, or maybe a little more

My figures are for without a berserker ring as well. I am quite sure that DFS would be at best equal to the defender. The strength bonuses provided by the Bandos armor as well as the shield, while not insignificant, are unlikely to alter the xp/hr in a way that is unequivocally beyond the reach of statistical fluctuations.

I am more interested in the xp without the familiars, since it is a constant term that can be added to any xp/hr reading.

Also, while Bandos does indeed provide an attacking edge that proselyte lacks, I am not sure if that warrants its usage over its holier counterpart.

Hegel.png

And the greataxe can train defence.

I am quite sure it has only 4 combat styles available, of which 2 train attack and 2 train strength.

My figures are for without a berserker ring as well. I am quite sure that DFS would be at best equal to the defender. The strength bonuses provided by the Bandos armor as well as the shield, while not insignificant, are unlikely to alter the xp/hr in a way that is unequivocally beyond the reach of statistical fluctuations.

I am more interested in the xp without the familiars, since it is a constant term that can be added to any xp/hr reading.

Also, while Bandos does indeed provide an attacking edge that proselyte lacks, I am not sure if that warrants its usage over its holier counterpart.

ill do a few trips, with and without familiars, using both dfs and rune defender, and both bandos and pros, when i have the time
I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

actually dfs>r def.

indeed i am. i have used rune defender there before and THE EXTRA SLASH MAKES NO DIFFERENCE. with super sets, piety and a salve amulet(e) you will amost always be hitting. ive done 2 trips to test this. one with obby shield (+5 str) and rune defender (+5 str and +19 slash) and the exp was only 1k/hr higher for the defender which can simply be down to luck (your never going to hit exactly the same between 2 trips). im sure if i did the test enough time that the split would be 50/50 on which one gets the most exp in the hour

the +2 strength will help more. ill test this to prove my hypothesis when i have time and the will to

You honestly think 2 strength will give you 1k bonus xp? It probably won't even raise your max hit, only increasing your average hit every so slightly.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

actually dfs>r def.

You honestly think 2 strength will give you 1k bonus xp? It probably won't even raise your max hit, only increasing your average hit every so slightly.

Wait, first you say +19 slash doesnt make any diff, then you say +2 str doesnt make any diff either. What to pick then?

Also, the results you had may have also been lucky in the obby shields case. I mean, you might have been very lucky that hour and gotten 1k more than what you would normally gain. That would make the difference 2k already. Same applies for defender, with an unlucky hour. 3k difference...

You can't just play with "statistical fluctuations" to prove everything you want. Note: I'm not saying you're not right (dfs might be = rdef), just that it's very cheap to "abuse" the principle of statistical fluctuations.

Amazing guide :)

Very detailed and love the way you explain everything in such a smart and informative way. Both methods do have a high concentration level which isn't really my thing but nonetheless its great.

Also congratulations on 200M range :)

Awesome guide!

I usually forgo the most efficient method in order to train on mosters that drop stuff, but this guide would be a great help if I ever decided to try chinning.

The math segment was also rather interesting. even if my grade 9 math class didn't really prepare me to understand it :lol: . Anyway, nice job,and gratz on 200m range xp!

Y2k949sSiggy.jpg

I have seen the truth, and it makes no sense.

I should probably change my signature...

Meh, tommorrow....

fantastic guide chen

although, i went today

my first trip

i was kept at one hp, being a [developmentally delayed] like myself, didnt see You have been poisoned! right after [bleep]es.

i died, lost helm, zring, b gloves, d boots, everything in my invent, and my precious fire cape.

my mistake completely, although now i have a reason to quit

Ugh, that is most unfortunate.

If you stay south of the [bleep]es where there are no spiders you should not be poisoned after the initial poisoning. Being at 1 HP is never recommended though, since the falling rocks can occasionally do that amount of damage. So, if at 1 HP, it is recommended that you stay south of the [bleep]es where there aren't spiders, and under a rock overhang.

Also, with the Angel of Death gravestone, the time you have is more than enough for you to run back and retrieve your lost items.

Like I said, it is most unfortunate that you lost your items, but oftentimes we learn best from the harshest of mistakes. So, if you decide to stay on, good luck with re-earning the perished, and if not, good luck with your future endeavours.

Hegel.png

i like the meelee guide. but idk how to get salve amulet (e) =[. and u really need to explain more on what prayers you should be using, just pray melee? or melee pray, and piety? or melee pray and 15% attack or something. good job though XD

fantastic guide chen

although, i went today

my first trip

i was kept at one hp, being a [developmentally delayed] like myself, didnt see You have been poisoned! right after [bleep]es.

i died, lost helm, zring, b gloves, d boots, everything in my invent, and my precious fire cape.

my mistake completely, although now i have a reason to quit

i do remember a while back that the Knowledge base said this - the maximum damage you can hit is under 10% health, it's not different if your lower than 10%. idk if that's still true though, but i remember 100% knowledge base said that, or used to say that.

i like the meelee guide. but idk how to get salve amulet (e) =[. and u really need to explain more on what prayers you should be using, just pray melee? or melee pray, and piety? or melee pray and 15% attack or something. good job though XD

The video shows piety and melee prayer.

Hegel.png

D2H spec would be extremely effective here, wouldn't it?

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

Very nice guide, and although I won't be using either method, these are almost certainly the fastest ways to train ranged and melee. I've never seen a really good guide to chinning that gets into the best spot and how to get the most xp per hour but this one does.

Excellent guide, your explanation is as clear as it can be and the videos enlighten me even more =D> now off-topic for a second: what piano compositions did you use in those videos? I absolutely loved the background music.

Cannon by Bach if im not mistaken. Might wanna check it on YT, though youll find loads of guitar covers :P

Very nice guide, AOW anyone? \' :thumbsup:

Actually it's Canon in D Major by Johann Pachelbel

aka pachelbels cannon lol

1100 total achieved 03/02/09 880thousandth to reach it :P

1200 total achieved 29/09/11 1.23millionth to reach it :P

awesome_600.png

D2H spec would be extremely effective here, wouldn't it?

I tried it before and found it too much of a hassle switching between the 2H and the mammalian. The 2H special uses > 50% of the bar so you only do 1 special per switch. It is decent but not worth it if you ask me.

Hegel.png

dunno if its already posted, cba reading all replies, but if you're worried about getting low hp due to falling rocks, bring an enchated excalibur.

It only takes 1 inventory spot, but heals 20hp every special (+ gives a defence boost, but thats quite irrelivant since you're praying)

enchanted excalibur ftw <3:

abrikoos.png

I went dharoking here with d boots warrior ring barrows gloves wc cape, whip... died when i stayed on trap to long, lost 5m.

Learn from your mistakes, damn right!

Im here now pro item on permanantly explorers ring climing boots.

If i die i lose about 200-400k so not much at all.

im rotating off this and ghostly warriors going for 99 attack.

thank you for a wonderful guide. it is very informative and well written.

I plan on getting 99 ranging... sometime, and i will most likely chin to it.

notasandwich000457.png

lolwot125740.png

From what I've read, this seems very dangerous, so what I'm thinking of, is bringing a proselyte setup, with as much attack bonus as possible. Would this work equally well, since the speed of the whip is close to double of the Greataxe?

I'd be thankful if you replied.

pendulumsig.png

138 Combat as of Summer 2010 - Retired Summer 2010

From what I've read, this seems very dangerous, so what I'm thinking of, is bringing a proselyte setup, with as much attack bonus as possible. Would this work equally well, since the speed of the whip is close to double of the Greataxe?

I'd be thankful if you replied.

No. And what do you mean close to double? Whip is exactly twice the speed of DH. Besides void>proselyte.