The Circus Point System (Guide Now Up!)

Mattie9999

GUIDE IS NOW UP! VISIT IT HERE (AoW already!)

As a result, this thread is pretty much redundant. The guide is basically this information in a better format, and will be updated on occasions, unlike this one.

INTRO

This thread regards the Distraction and Diversion "Balthazar Beauregard's Big Top Bonanza", more commonly known as "The Circus".

Ever since the release of the circus, I have always been interested in how the points system works. Straight away, people thought that it was strange the way the points work. I have waited to see if Jagex has changed anything, but it seems like they have left it.

I personally got full ringmaster in just a few weeks of doing the circus, but I thought I'd return to see if I could understand the points system. (Plus, I'd get all the citizen clothing.)

Now, there is a loyal group of circus-goers who help me each week, by submitting info about their circus performances, and I thank them very much for all the assistance they have given me. (List of credits at end of post.)

THE POINTS

HOW THE CLOTHING WORKS:

For each circus related item you wear, you get 5 points added to your score. So if you wear 5 circus items on you, (the most you can), you get 25 points + your score from other things.

It doesn't matter which circus related clothing you wear. (I.e wearing full ringmaster is the same as wearing full audience.)

We have now discovered that there are some non-circus-given-out items that give the same +5 bonus as the circus gear does when worn. However, these only apply if the item is worn in one of the 5 clothing spots that can give points. (These are Hat/helm, body, legs, boots, weapon (NOT SHIELD.))

Known items to do so: (there are probably others)

All Worn Treasure Trail Rewards (Remember only in the Hat/Helm, body, legs, boots and weapon slot.)

Blue Naval Slacks and Shirt

Jester Clothes (From The Fremennik Isles quest.)

Ghostly Robes - This is interesting as every part of ghostly robes gives the +5 bonus. Therefore you can get 30 points from wearing full ghostly + another 5 from a wielded bonus item.

EMOTES:

The way emotes work is very simple.

Basically, when you do an emote you get a base 3 points. E.g, if you wear nothing, do one emote, and then finish, you get 3 points. If you wear full circus gear, you get 28 points. (3 + 25 points from the clothing bonus.)

However, when you do an emote that the audience likes (a preferred emote), you get an extra 75 points. E.g, with the Edgeville Ranged Citizens liking the "Trick" emote, you get 3 points from the base emote points, 25 from the clothing bonus, and 75 from the audience satisfaction.

TRICKS:

Special thanks to Acenator for helping me with this section and for working out the pattern with these points.

Each level of trick in each event is worth a certain amount of points. So for example, the 99 agility tricks are worth the same as the 99 mage tricks.

Each level has different amount of points they are worth when successfully completing them: (These are the base points from each.)

99: 134

90: 115

80: 102

70: 90

60: 78

50: 65

40: 52

30: 40

20: 28

10: 15

The pattern is going up in 12.5exp lots per 10 lvls, but it seems to have been rounded off in the source code. However, doing the 99 trick gives a special boost of 19exp more than 90.

As with emotes, if you do a preferred trick you get 75 extra points.

If you fail the trick, you get 0 points for it, so failing is a big disadvantage in getting lots of points.

If you barely succeed an trick, you still get the same points as comfortably succeeding the trick.

REPETITIVE PENALTIES

These are penalties that we've been able to establish from doing the same things in a row.

If you do the same emote twice in a row, you do not get points for the second emote. (So you only get 3 points, opposed to 6.)

If you do the same trick twice in a row, you get a -15 point penalty. (So if you did Anvil Tele (99), and then Anvil Tele (99) again, you'd get 134 + 134 - 15 points.)

If you do 1 trick in between doing the same trick, you still get the -15 penalty. (So if you did Target Shot (10), Popenjay Shot (20) and then Target Shot (10) again, you'd get 15 + 28 + 15 - 15 points.)

If you do 2 tricks in between doing the same trick, the audience does not see if as repetitive, and you do NOT get a -15 penalty. (So if you do Levitate Rat (10), then Cat (20), then Bowl (30), then Rat (10) again, you get 15 + 28 + 40 + 15 points, and NO penalties.)

If however you do an emote in between the same trick, it does not seem repetitive to the audience. (So if you do Anvil Alchemy (99), then an emote, then Anvil Alchemy (99) again, you get 134 + 3 + 134 points, and NO penalties.)

COMBINATION BONUSES

This is the most incomplete section, and is the hardest for us to understand. Most of the irregularities between the predicted score of someone's performance based on their description, and what they actually got, is (hopefully) due to this. Anyway, what've established:

Originally we that that if you do the same level trick as in the same event, e.g handstand (lvl 40) and juggle knives (lvl 40), you get a 10 point bonus. So you'd get 52 + 52 + 10.

Now though, the 10 point bonus seems to come from just doing the 'opposite' sort of trick in the same performance.

I.e the opposites are:

Agility: Juggling/acrobatics

Mage: Levitate/blast or Teleport/Alchemy

Ranged: Target/Popenjay.

So if you do a level 10 trick (Levitate Rat), then a level 20 trick of the opposite sort of trick (Blast Stump), you still get a 10 point bonus. (So 15 + 28 + 10)

If you do an emote in between, this DOES NOT disrupt the bonus in the Agility and Ranged events, but it DOES in the Magic event. We are not sure why this is, but maybe Jagex wanted it to be slightly harder to get points in the magic event, as you seem to be able to get most Exp there.

GETTING YOUR TOTAL SCORE:

This is equal to:

- The clothing bonus you get from the start of the performance. This is taken from as soon as you start your performance, so you can change into other clothes once the performance has started, and still get the clothing points.

PLUS

- The value of the points from doing emotes

PLUS

- The value of the points from doing tricks

PLUS

- Any combination bonuses as a result of doing certain tricks in certain orders

PLUS

- Any bonuses from following what the audience requested (explained below)

PLUS

- Any bonuses from doing preferred emotes/tricks specific to that audience (explained below)

All these together should give you the total score which the Ringmaster tells you.

WHAT THE AUDIENCE LIKES:

There seems to be 2 types of this:

Following what the audience requests:

Following some research into when the audience says what to do, we have been able to establish this:

The audience will tell you what to do in the events before and including agility. So if you do your performances in the order: Ranged, Agility, Mage, then you will hear audience requests in the ranged and agility events, but not the mage. If your performances in the order: Agility, Mage, Ranged, then you will only hear audience requests in the agility performance, and not the mage and ranged. Therefore, it is best to do your performances in the order so that Agility is last, so you will always hear the audience. We do not know if this is intentional by Jagex, but it seems to be staying this way so it would seem so.

What we have been able to esablish regarding points:

When you follow an audience request straight away, you gain an extra +15 points.

However if you leave it and do a different trick, and then come back to the requested trick, it is 5 points less, giving you 10 points. If you do 2 tricks in between, you would only gain +5 points.

Hidden preferences from that audience:

From the knowledge base:

As an added note, some locations have a specific audience with specific things that entertain them, so it's a good idea to experiment and find out what sorts of things will amuse the audience you're performing for.
This is what has been a mystery to most people, and it is very hard to work this part out, due to the huge amount of trial and error. However, we have made good progress with this. (Although there still could be hidden things that we are unaware of.)

We originally thought that each location would have a preferred trick and emote that gives an extra 75 points. However, after some further research into it, it seemed that each location did not always have preferred emotes/tricks. We had gone through every emote for some locations, and no emotes had come up, so we concluded that there were no emote preference bonuses to be had there.

Now though, after considering the pattern of the scant preferred emotes/tricks that we have found, we have considered a new theory: There is one location that likes a certain performance, and that location has a preferred emote and trick for that performance that gives you an extra 75 points. So far we have found this:

Agility Performance:

Location: Unknown - we have gone through every location trying most emotes, so this must have slipped through the radar, or just be non-existant.

Emote: Unknown

Trick: Unknown

Mage Performance:

Emote: Yes

Trick: Alchemy/Teleport Dumbells (Either seems to get preferred bonus, but we don't think you can get the bonuses for both.)

Ranged Performace:

Emote: Trick

Trick: Something out of: Shooting at Wheel with Knives from levels 99-60 or Shooting at Ducks with Knives from levels 50-10.

GETTING THE MAXIMUM SCORE

It's all very well knowing how the points system works, but how does it give you an advantage? Well people seem to either go to the circus to get clothing or experience. If you want experience, it has been established that doing 1 of every level trick gets you the most exp. So I won't go any further with experience. Getting clothing, most people want ringmaster, which involves getting a high score.

Following is an analysis of a few common theories that people have found to give a good amount of points. If you have a theory that you do that gives lots of points, which I haven't included, say so. I will then consider and calculate this and possibly add it to this list.

There is the possibility that you unintentionally follow the odd audience request (i.e what they call out), and these can give you extra +15 points. For the following calculations, these are not included, so any that you happen to follow are a bonus.

Disclaimer: These calculations are not 100% accurate. There could be a few other hidden bonuses that we have not discovered that could alter this result.

Theory 1:

Alternate between the two 99 tricks.

[hide=Calculation]Most points possible:

35 (Clothing bonus from full ghostly + A bonus wielded weapon)

134 (99 Trick A)

134 (99 Trick B)

10 (Combination Bonus)

134 (99 Trick A)

-15 (Repetitive Penalty)

10 (Combination Bonus)

134 (99 Trick B)

-15 (Repetitive Penalty)

10 (Combination Bonus)

134 (99 Trick A)

-15 (Repetitive Penalty)

10 (Combination Bonus)

134 (99 Trick B)

-15 (Repetitive Penalty)

10 (Combination Bonus)

134 (99 Trick A)

-15 (Repetitive Penalty)

10 (Combination Bonus)

134 (99 Trick B)

-15 (Repetitive Penalty)

10 (Combination Bonus)

134 (99 Trick A)

-15 (Repetitive Penalty)

10 (Combination Bonus)

134 (99 Trick B)

-15 (Repetitive Penalty)

10 (Combination Bonus)

=1330[/hide]Most points possible = 1330

Theory 2:

Alternate between the two 99 tricks with an emote in between.

3 (Emote)

134 (99 Trick A)

3 (Emote)

134 (99 Trick B)

10 (Combination bonus)

3 (Emote)

134 (99 Trick A)

10 (Combination bonus)

3 (Emote)

134 (99 Trick B)

10 (Combination bonus)

3 (Emote)

134 (99 Trick A)

10 (Combination bonus)

3 (Emote)

134 (99 Trick B)

10 (Combination bonus)

3 (Emote)

134 (99 Trick A)

10 (Combination bonus)

3 (Emote)

134 (99 Trick B)

10 (Combination bonus)

3 (Emote)

134 (99 Trick A)

10 (Combination bonus)

3 (Emote)

134 (99 Trick B)

10 (Combination bonus)

=1495[/hide]Most points possible = 1495 or 1405 (in Mage event)

Theory 3:

Alternate between the 99 and 90 tricks.

134 (99 Trick A)

134 (99 Trick B)

10 (Combination bonus)

115 (90 Trick A)

10 (Combination bonus)

115 (90 Trick B)

10 (Combination bonus)

134 (99 Trick A)

10 (Combination bonus)

134 (99 Trick B)

10 (Combination bonus)

115 (90 Trick A)

10 (Combination bonus)

115 (90 Trick B)

10 (Combination bonus)

134 (99 Trick A)

10 (Combination bonus)

134 (99 Trick B)

10 (Combination bonus)

= 1389[/hide]Most points possible = 1389

Theory 4:

Alternate between the 99 and 90 tricks with emotes in between.

3 (Emote)

134 (99 Trick A)

3 (Emote)

134 (99 Trick B)

10 (Combination bonus)

3 (Emote)

115 (90 Trick A)

10 (Combination bonus)

3 (Emote)

115 (90 Trick B)

10 (Combination bonus)

3 (Emote)

134 (99 Trick A)

10 (Combination bonus)

3 (Emote)

134 (99 Trick B)

10 (Combination bonus)

3 (Emote)

115 (90 Trick A)

10 (Combination bonus)

3 (Emote)

115 (90 Trick B)

10 (Combination bonus)

3 (Emote)

134 (99 Trick A)

10 (Combination bonus)

3 (Emote)

134 (99 Trick B)

10 (Combination bonus)

= 1419 or 1329 without Combination bonus[/hide]Most points possible = 1419 or 1329 (in Mage Event)

Advice:

Theory 1 isn't very good, as if you fail just one of the 99 tricks, you will only get 1196 points, just short of the 1201 target. It could be good from the point of view that it is the fastest, but ultimately, if you're trying to get ringmaster, you're not going to be trying to rush through.

Theory 2 gives by far the most points if everything is performed correctly. If you fail 2 tricks, you will still get 1227 points, over the 1201 target. This is probably the best option, but as however every trick performed is of 99 standard, there is quite a high chance of failing several.

Theory 3 is a reasonable theory, but probably not the best. As four of the tricks are only level 90, you do have a slightly less chance of failing several tricks. If you fail one 99 or 90 trick, you'd still get 1245 or 1264 points, which is above the 1201 target.

Theory 4 is an OK option. Like with theory 3, as four of the tricks are only level 90, you do have a slightly less chance of failing several tricks. If you fail one 99 or 90 trick, you'd still get 1285 or 1304 points. Also, as you get 90 less points in the mage event, this isn't a good option for doing the mage event.

However, these are still base points. You can still get more than this from:

ADDING PREFERRED TRICKS/EMOTES

NOTE: We are currently unsure whether the +75 bonus from preferred tricks/emotes stack, so this section is a bit incomplete. For the following calculations, we are assuming that you can only get this 75 point bonus once in a performance.

This is considering the hidden +75 points bonuses that occur with certain audiences in certain locations. (Refer to above.) New max scores are now:

Theory 1:

Assuming a 99 trick A is replaced by a preferred 80 trick A, then:

1330 - 134 + 102 + 75 = 1373 points.

Theory 2:

Assuming one of the emotes done is a preferred emote, then:

1495 + 75 = 1570 points.

Theory 3:

Assuming a 90 trick A is replaced by a preferred 80 trick A, then:

1389 - 115 + 102 + 75 = 1451 points.

Theory 4:

Assuming one of the emotes done is a preferred emote, then:

1419 + 75 = 1494 points.

SO ULTIMATELY, WHAT DO YOU DO?

I would suggest primarily theory 2, as it gives a far superior total poins possible value to any of the other theories. However, if you do have slightly lower levels, theory 3 or 4 could be a good idea to reduce the number of 99 tricks you have to do. Don't do theory 4 in the mage event however. Wear items that give clothing bonuses, and if possible this should be ghostly robes + a bonus wielded item. (Like tambourine or giant hand.) If you happen to be at a location that has a preferred emote/trick, make sure you encorporate it into your performance.

CIRCUS LOCATIONS:

This is the cycle of locations that the circus visits: (In order going down)

NOTE: This list has also been added to Tip It's circus guide.

Seers Village: Just west of the town on the road to Hemenster

Catherby: Northwest of the town, to the west of the allotment patches.

Taverly: West of the Witch's House, by the house portal.

Edgeville: By the summoning obelisk/the bridge across the river to the GE.

Falador: East of the Mining Guild

Rimmington: Near the house portal.

Draynor: South of Draynor Village

Al Kharid: South of the entrance to the Duel Arena.

Lumbridge: Northwest of the city by the tree patch

East of Varrock: East of the city, south of the Lumberyard.

West of Varrock: West of the city, by Getrude and Juliet's house.

Gnome Stronghold: By the main entrance gate.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Credits:This is the list of people who have helped decipher the points system by submitting data. (Most of whom are continually doing so.)

-Mattie9999

-acenator

-SportsGuy

-frigginacky

-Pokemama

-Llavada

-Sheep Tails (Sheepitails)

-Ram Y (tetsuoh)

-Duelmasters2

-Niccosdad

-Vertandor (GreenNGold)

-Mrk252

Copyright Disclaimer: (I didn't know what to call it):

The information given here on this thread is for the use of the Tip. It Community ONLY.

(If there's anything I should add to the disclaimer, please say. I'm not very good with this legal stuff -.- )

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mattie9999, I love you! <3:

That Jagex thing about "what city" has been bugging me forever, I knew it had to mean something but ... too many things to do. Have only just recently gotten consistent info about the xp.

Please keep us posted as to what else you find, and hopefully we can get something on the website, crediting anyone who tests out and reports on it.

gallery_28257_123_2330.jpggallery_28257_123_196.gif

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.

Mattie9999, I love you! <3:

That Jagex thing about "what city" has been bugging me forever, I knew it had to mean something but ... too many things to do. Have only just recently gotten consistent info about the xp.

Please keep us posted as to what else you find, and hopefully we can get something on the website, crediting anyone who tests out and reports on it.

Wow! Thanks! Didn't think I would have this sort of response :o! Either way, it would be good if someone else could try this. I know people like getting their exp, so it would meaning "sacrificing" it just this week. (Although, most people have probably done circus by now.)

I may start a thread soon about the circus, and what I've found.

wow... i might try this out when i have teh timeh :) i'll be looking forward to more updates ;) (well hopefully there'll be more updated) :|

"It's better to let people assume that you're an idiot than to open your mouth and prove it beyond all doubt"

~Mark Twain

Purex213.png

Click to view my blogeh and leave a message over there while your at it :twss:

Help me find a good world to sell things on runescape! :twss:

I'll definitely look back to see what information you acquire, but I'm not sure if I care to give up my free 50k+ xp each week. :o

Best of luck figuring out the emotes. :thumbsup:

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

Thanks for the info! A little late as I already have full Ringmaster, but this could become an invaluable tool for others.

Especially because the rules for that Distraction are the vaguest thing Jagex has ever released...

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

Does it matter if you wear different pieces from different outfit sets? So for instance ringmaster hat with clown torso and acrobad leggings gives the same points as if they were all the same set, or does it have to belong to the same set?

Wow, that sentence is messed up, but I hope you know what I mean -.-

Nice info anyway, I would do some research for you, but I don't think I can give up the experience reward for this... ;)

I was nvr to fussed by the circus.

Went messed around got full acrobat.

Went tried to do my best go full clown

Went did 10 emotes and then quit performance got full ringmaster

Went did single emote then quit got all civllian

Never been bk since

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I'll definitely look back to see what information you acquire, but I'm not sure if I care to give up my free 50k+ xp each week. :o

50k xp ? How ? Per event or for all 3 ?

I don't know which mod did this. I don't know why they did it. If they're looking for money, I can tell them I don't have any as I'm a student. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over 4 years of RuneScape. Skills that I have worked hard for and people like them can't take them away. If they give me my particles back now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for them, I will not pursue them. But if they don't, I will look for them, I will find them, and they won't like what'll happen

Does it matter if you wear different pieces from different outfit sets? So for instance ringmaster hat with clown torso and acrobad leggings gives the same points as if they were all the same set, or does it have to belong to the same set?

Wow, that sentence is messed up, but I hope you know what I mean -.-

Nice info anyway, I would do some research for you, but I don't think I can give up the experience reward for this... ;)

^ While I haven't personally tryed it, I would think that it doesn't matter. If each piece of circus gear is worth 5 points, then if you wear 5 things, you would get 25 points. I'm pretty sure it doesn't count the entire set as a whole. (I will check this though - thanks for suggesting it.)

Besides that, I'm a bit disappointed that no-ones offered to help me yet. :cry: I guess most people want the exp... Although many people don't even do the circus anymore, so surely you could help? :|

Ah well, I did think I might not get much success with other people helping. I might give up the current idea of figuring out emotes, and just concentrate on the individual points from each event.

50k xp ? How ? Per event or for all 3 ?

Sorry for the late reply. That is for all 3 events combined. I will get slightly more once my agility level is higher. \'

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png