Why private servers?

Ax600

People can have fun without having to worry about being reported. It's freedom to enjoy themself without everyone trying to get one up on them. They get to play a game at any level they want, without grinding through the boring stuff.

Who cares if they use it? People shouldn't be judged for it.

Im not judging the players who use it, Im just saying that the server itself is a waste of time

Excuses are tools of incompetence that builds monuments of nothingness. Those who specialize in excuses never accomplish anything.
If the world does end on December 21, 2012, I want to be doing hot stuff with Megan Fox and/or playing Runescape :D

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People can have fun without having to worry about being reported. It's freedom to enjoy themself without everyone trying to get one up on them. They get to play a game at any level they want, without grinding through the boring stuff.

Im not judging the players who use it, Im just saying that the server itself is a waste of time

And Runescape isin't? :lol:

oversized.jpg[/bads]

People who fail at the real game can do what they want without putting any work into it.

QFT.

A lot of banned players and lazy players who desire moar runescape will go to private servers to try to enjoy more entertainment without working for it. It's quite sad and I hope that all the private server owners get sued for copyright infringment.

[hide=]

tip it would pay me $500.00 to keep my clothes ON :( :lol:
But then again, you fail to realize that 101% of the people in this universe hate you. Yes, humankind's hatred against you goes beyond mathematical possibilities.
That tears it. I'm starting an animal rebellion using my mind powers. Those PETA bastards will never see it coming until the porcupines are half way up their asses.
[/hide]

montageo.png

Apparently a lot of people say it. I own.

http://linkagg.com/ Not my site, but a simple, budding site that links often unheard-of websites that are amazing for usefulness and fun.

The fun part

..lasted like half an hour

I don't know how much more specific of an explanation of "Private Servers" you can get. That's thet best by far.

00:00:05

00:00:04

00:00:03

00:00:02

00:00:01

00:00:00

Break the Walls down!

How can it be fun though if everyone is the same as you? You could never be better than anyone so it would be pointless anyways. Everyone could just have any item they wanted and maxed out totals. Seems stupid to me.

I don't get the point in getting a private server. They are stupid, and just cheap replicas of the real RS. Can someone give me a really good reason?

Educative purposes?

You know, apart from administrative problems from managing a large userbase, a private server allows you to actually modify the code and look what the actual changes are... This is simply the best way to learn a programming language!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

And Runescape isin't? :lol:

Every single game on earth is a waste of time ;)

Retired Tip.It Crew Mapper.

RSC servers are pretty good, I can't say I've never played them because I just can't get enough of the RSC pking system (which is in my opinion 100x better then RS2 system) and ofcourse people who don't like having all the hard work and just 100% pking (this is for RS2 though) but yea, most good RSC private servers are bigger then the normal RSC worlds (I've seen a private RSC server with 500 people online all the time)

sig312.png

angel2w.gif

I don't get the point in getting a private server. They are stupid, and just cheap replicas of the real RS. Can someone give me a really good reason?

Why play RuneScape? Some say that it is stupid, and just cheap replicas of WOW. Can someone give me a really good reason?

:D

Some of the stuff they do with them is funny... But otherwise what other people have been saying is correct, they're a cheap rip-off.

Unless... Do they actually have HD on private servers? I'm just naturally curious, since I don't know how they got the servers ripped-off in the first place.

Nope. AFAIK, none of them even have the skill capes.

Ive gotten on a private server before, they have most, if not more, items that are on RS.

And some private servers do have HD but end up crashing one week later

Are you sure you phrased that correctly? I bootleg version has more items than the real version? And in HD? This is where it gets hard to believe...

2dgucz6.png

Educative purposes?

You know, apart from administrative problems from managing a large userbase, a private server allows you to actually modify the code and look what the actual changes are... This is simply the best way to learn a programming language!

Yes, but that is also copyright infringement. If you wanna learn JRE code or any other, your best bet w/o getting sued is trial and error.

Excuses are tools of incompetence that builds monuments of nothingness. Those who specialize in excuses never accomplish anything.
If the world does end on December 21, 2012, I want to be doing hot stuff with Megan Fox and/or playing Runescape :D

Some of the stuff they do with them is funny... But otherwise what other people have been saying is correct, they're a cheap rip-off.

Unless... Do they actually have HD on private servers? I'm just naturally curious, since I don't know how they got the servers ripped-off in the first place.

Ive gotten on a private server before, they have most, if not more, items that are on RS.

And some private servers do have HD but end up crashing one week later

Are you sure you phrased that correctly? I bootleg version has more items than the real version? And in HD? This is where it gets hard to believe...

both ARE possible. all you need to do is decompile HD, then make your server off of decompiled information.

And the items, there is a code in runescape coding for admins of the server that lets you create more objects on the game

Oh I guess this must be real rs2.. & this pic was taken in August-November 2008

[hide=]503client.png[/hide]

And to answer the OP, people play servers to pk which can't be done now, they play it to have the items that are nearly impossible for some people to get, and they play it to experiment with different account styles without wasting a year per account. It's not a waste of time even if it crashes after a week, if you were entertained in that week, you received the same you would have playing RS.

BUMP!!! :thumbsup:

Pking and maybe training for the jad. :ugeek:

That was my intentions when I first tried a private server. But unless it is programed, every npc that players spawn has 1 hp and doesnt attack

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

People who fail at the real game can do what they want without putting any work into it.

This.

The only kind private servers I would deem "acceptable" (in this case, not pointless) are RSC ones. They're a popular alternative for the people who got screwed over with the 6 month log in thing.

Then there are things such as old pking etc. like people have mentioned.

What about the people who got screwed over with the whole free trade/PKing updates? Ones who joined right after?

You mentioned it, but you played it out like missing RSC is an acceptable reason to break the rules.

How is missing PKing not an acceptable reason to break the rules?

If you want to include one thing, you have to include them all, because it all falls under the category of "I missed this because updates changed it"

Private servers allow the creators to warp the game into what they think it should be like. Its not all about 2B GP and 99 stats, its about making your own version of runescape and being in charge. Something Im sure many of you would like to do.

This.

The only kind private servers I would deem "acceptable" (in this case, not pointless) are RSC ones. They're a popular alternative for the people who got screwed over with the 6 month log in thing.

What about the people who got screwed over with the whole free trade/PKing updates? Ones who joined right after?

You mentioned it, but you played it out like missing RSC is an acceptable reason to break the rules.

If you want to include one thing, you have to include them all, because it all falls under the category of "I missed this because updates changed it"

Private servers allow the creators to warp the game into what they think it should be like. Its not all about 2B GP and 99 stats, its about making your own version of runescape and being in charge. Something Im sure many of you would like to do.

im guessing you have no idea what he meant?

you could have started in 2001 and played to 2004, not sure about the dates, i know there was a way to transfer items and such in 2004, then later there was a bot orgy with which the 6 month login rule came.

Bbc_3.gif

4000000657th to 99 cookin

555555406th to 99 flethcin

Educative purposes?

Yes, but that is also copyright infringement. If you wanna learn JRE code or any other, your best bet w/o getting sued is trial and error.

Just trial and error is really not the right way lol.. It's good for basement-self-teached programmers, but if you want to achieve anything more, and actually get a job it's not going to bring you there. You'll need to look at other code, lots of code (on top of reading books, writing essays etc).. Really code-jamming is one of the things computer science at university level hardly does. (While looking at others code, finding the bad points, explaining the code etc is the best way.. And JAVA is used a lot as teaching purposes since it's a strong typed language, good OO, interpreted, and easy to debug..

But then again, you'll probably have enough reading material only looking at opensource stuff.

Ow I just thought of a reason why I would love to use a private (or at least specific) server: "competitions"... Look at arena scape for example: the most fun were the special competitions. Runescape is really moving into a generic direction, and the call for "on the user specialized content" will only grow. What I can think about are disabling lots of areas, and then make a classic "mine" contest (who can get with least hours spent most xp). Or actually allow for the KBD to randomly spawn/walk to certain areas (this is something I've always wanted: make RS dangerous to adventure). Or it allows you to skip a certain update: in normal programs if you don't like a certain feature, you'll stay with the old version: I am for example still using an old FF since I don't like the way how tabs work in V3 - the advantages don't weigh up to this for me. Or what do you think about VISTA vs XP? - I doubt anyone would willingly go for vista if you can also use XP. Yet in runescape you can't stick to what you liked, and just skip an update. (Though since it's an MMO it's kind of not strange).. But people who don't like an update WILL find a way to get around it, and private servers are a good alternative!

Ow and stop saying it's failure to play on a private server! - I'm programming games myself (and even release a few MO's for my close friends). They're worse than any RS version is/was (I don't have a full team backening me up), so you're actually saying I would "fail" for that?

Thanks!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

As the owner of a private server several years ago, I can say one thing:

Cheap fun for less.

Since I in general failed at Runescape until about 3 months ago, when I started playing again, I can tell you that RS private servers are the funnest thing when it's 5 am and you're depressed about being a huge noob. But only for like an hour. Then the fun gets stale. The only reason to play is if you can't get your goals in RS fast enough, or you just wanna feel bigged up.

wow.jpg

Glad to know my homies are looking out for me.

This.

im guessing you have no idea what he meant?

you could have started in 2001 and played to 2004, not sure about the dates, i know there was a way to transfer items and such in 2004, then later there was a bot orgy with which the 6 month login rule came.

The only kind private servers I would deem "acceptable" (in this case, not pointless) are RSC ones

He is saying because he missed the RSC update he thinks the servers are acceptable for RSC emulation.

Its the fact that "missing an update" deems a server acceptable to emulate what that update took away.