Do you believe in the supernatural/occult/aliens?

AndyPandy

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'd say the universe isn't that big. But yes, if the universe was big enough (like, really massive. Billions and billions of times as massive as we think it is now) there would be a chance of that happening.

Why are aliens more likely than the occurrence that I've stated though? Both are only known to happen once as far as we know. We can only safely say that I typed that paragraph once and that life popped into existence only once because we only have evidence of them happening one time.

Well, I'd say the universe isn't that big. But yes, if the universe was big enough (like, really massive. Billions and billions of times as massive as we think it is now) there would be a chance of that happening.

Why are aliens more likely than the occurrence that I've stated though? Both are only known to happen once as far as we know. We can only safely say that I typed that paragraph once and that life popped into existence only once because we only have evidence of them happening one time.

There is a lot of difference between a life form existing, and a life form existing, creating computers/internet, creating a forum like tip.it and typing this post, wouldn't you say?

2dvjurb.png

because for you to type the paragraph life has to develop and evolve signifigantly

as a simple model

the odds of getting n consecutive coin flips as heads is given by 1/(2^n),

lets call life developing 3 heads in a row and you typing the paragraph the 10th flip

the odds of getting to 3 head flips in a row is 1/8, getting 10 heads in a row can only occur if you get 3 heads in a row and since flips 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9 have a 1/2 chance each the odds of flip 10 still being heads is much less then the odds of getting to a third flip

obviously life developing isnt as simple as a coin flip but the example should show why

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

It's just as big of a leap as life existing in the first place, I would say. If you have faith that you will win the lottery if there is a 1/1,000,000 chance of winning and you won, then why would you suddenly lose your faith if there were to be a second lottery? Your odds would be no different than the first time.

But anyways, that was the best example I could provide. My point is we shouldn't assume everything must be plural since the universe is so big - especially things that only happened once as far as we know.

There's also some moon called "Blue Moon" (I think?) that could possibly support life. We watched a video on it last year, with sky whales and things like that. :lol:

Fantasia is not a credible scientific source.

And why is it more likely that they're just bacteria? I mean, we;re here aren;t we? And we've had tons of evolutionary setbacks- at least 3 mass extinctions that threw back the evolutionary clock. It might be more likely that they're more intelligent than us.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

There's also some moon called "Blue Moon" (I think?) that could possibly support life. We watched a video on it last year, with sky whales and things like that. :lol:

Fantasia is not a credible scientific source.

And why is it more likely that they're just bacteria? I mean, we;re here aren;t we? And we've had tons of evolutionary setbacks- at least 3 mass extinctions that threw back the evolutionary clock. It might be more likely that they're more intelligent than us.

On Earth, I'm pretty sure bacteria (and protozoa I think) are more capable of surviving in extreme settings. Extreme pressure, extremely hot places, extremely cold places, extremely vaporous (?) places, etc. Though we haven't found a planet like ours yet, we have found extremely hot planets, for instance. Obviously there's a chance that there's a human-like creature out there which can survive in extremely hot temperatures, but on Earth, bacteria are more likely to be found there.

And like I said, Skywhales. Caped Stalkers too.

(Being the genius I am, I didn't notice the word "hypothetical" plastered all over the Wiki article I linked to. Aw. :( )

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

We've found the remains of bacteria on mars. It may not be the little green dude everyone hoped for, but its still an alien.

alleged remains, there is a lot of debate as to the life formness of the fossils, would be sweet if they were though.

awteno.jpg

Orthodoxy is unconciousness

the only ones who should kill are those who are prepared to be killed.

I half believe in it, mainly because when at my computer, I can see right down the hall if I look to my right.A lot of the time I see things moving around in the corner of my eye.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but are you [developmentally delayed]ed?

[English translation needed]

I don't believe in the supernatural. I hate when people group aliens in with ghosts and stuff as well, I personally think it's plausible that aliens exist.

I also do, well, sortof. I belive in living creatures outside of this planet, but the chances are that they are not intelligent creatures, at least not enough to create a travelling method that would allow them to reach planet Earth.

And for the ghost sort of stuff, I don't belive in that, but I have to admit sometimes, specially when you aren't in your home, walking in the dark is... scary...

why do you say that? its implausible that earth is the ONLY planet in existance with intelligent life, and out of the many planets with life in space (i would assume there are multiple, considering how massive it is), it is not hard to believe that there are races smarter than us

Although I agree that we are most likely not the only planet with intelligent life, you must remember that over 99% of life on Earth isn't intelligent. If we were to discover life on any given planet it's most likely that they aren't intelligent.

I'm glad that most of you guys aren't the people that instantly and arrogantly disregard the possibility of life on other planets, without leaving it open to debate. That really pisses me off :lol: The possibility of life not existing on other planets is so tiny that I doubt it can even be fathomed by humans. If the universe was a measurable size, then I believe there could exist the possibility of us being the only forms of life (even though even then it would be highly unlikely). But as far as we know, it's infinite. To get an idea of how many other planets there are, think of how many planets are in a galaxy. Then think about a billion of those galaxies. Multiply that by a trillion, square the result, and you'll be less than 1% of not coming close to being a millionth of a percent of almost no percentage. That probably doesn't make much sense, but there exists the possibility of trillions of planets being identical to us in every aspect. And concerning all this, there might not be one of those planets within 900 octillion light years of us. I think it's simply arrogant, ignorant, and downright moronic to think there isn't life on other planets.

As for ghosts and the supernatural, although I'm logical thinker and a science guy, I like to believe in them. Simply because it's fun and interesting.

tvnet_banner-2.jpg

Although I agree that we are most likely not the only planet with intelligent life, you must remember that over 99% of life on Earth isn't intelligent. If we were to discover life on any given planet it's most likely that they aren't intelligent.

It depends on the stage they are at of their evolution. Earth didn't always have intelligent life. It took millions and millions of years for us to get where we are today. If there is life somewhere out there, then they will most likely evolve into intelligent life given some time.

I don't believe in the supernatural. I hate when people group aliens in with ghosts and stuff as well, I personally think it's plausible that aliens exist.

I also do, well, sortof. I belive in living creatures outside of this planet, but the chances are that they are not intelligent creatures, at least not enough to create a travelling method that would allow them to reach planet Earth.

And for the ghost sort of stuff, I don't belive in that, but I have to admit sometimes, specially when you aren't in your home, walking in the dark is... scary...

why do you say that? its implausible that earth is the ONLY planet in existance with intelligent life, and out of the many planets with life in space (i would assume there are multiple, considering how massive it is), it is not hard to believe that there are races smarter than us

:lol: #-o

devilgod.jpeg

so i herd u liek devarts?

If you look at me and feel offended by my 666-ism,think.I could be just as offended by your "cross".

[hide=This's why I'm hot]

The Eleventh Commandment:Thou Shalst only say "Amen,brother".

Amen, brother :lol:

Amen, brudda (referring to the 10th commandment)

amen Bruder! (german ftw)

I'm invulnerable to everything, except Lenin and Dragoonson.

That's impossible.

I love people.[/hide]

:lol: #-o

:?: Depending on one's definition of intelligence, it's true. By intelligent I mean what humans have that others lack, the ability to reason.

tvnet_banner-2.jpg

^

Reasoning... About that... :lol:

Seriuously though,

Aliens- With all the planets out there, the fact that life can more or less adapt to anything, and how much distance is between each planet, it's very likely that we just haven't found it. We just recently (last November) got pictures of extrasolar planets, and extrasolar planets as a whole were discovered a mere 17 years ago.

Ghosts, Occult, etc.- It's possible. The fact that it has not been proved by the almighty science to date is a step back, but science is never really set in stone ;)

I'm going to say it for the second or third time in this thread.

Why are ghosts so unbelievable? Just because we don't understand it doesn't mean there's no scientific way it could work.

LOTRjokesigedition-1.png

Get back here so I can rub your butt.