High ranking players not as "nerdy" as we think?

FirenLazah

I'm sure some high level players could be considered geeks or nerds, whatever you want to call them. But there are plenty who are able to keep their hobby in check. Zezima is a good example, while being number one for years, he managed to get into college and he has a gf irl,(or are they married now). Anyway that's proof enough for me that it's possible to have a balanced life and at the same time have good skills in game.

4D485FC689.png

4d485fc689.png

4d485fc689.png

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I consider them people with TONS of patience. I have a mod friend who has 99 farming untrimmed. Hes actually a man who has a wife who does play rs, and he has a job. And still managed to find time to get 99 farming pretty quickly if you ask me.

Same could go for high ranks too.

If you only play like 40 minutes a day farming is actually a faster skill than cooking. ::'

I get called a nerd a lot, not because of my skills but because of my knowledge of Runescape, be it lore or locations. I have a near-photographic memory, I can recall things people said to me 10+ years ago, down to what they were wearing at the time, so I have no problem remembering, say, how to finish Heroes quest that I did 3 years ago, off the top of my head, or who Doctor Ford was.

That being said, my grades are....well, my social life....Umm....Anyway. If you look outside you'll find a diversion I've set up for you while I escape through this hatch.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Of course they're not nerds. (Well maybe some are) In many skills it's possible to get 100k+ xp in an hour. (All combat skills excluding hitpoints, cooking, fletching, thieving, firemaking, smithing at least, that's 12 of 24 skills) 100k xp/hour means 130 hours. 2 hours a day it's 65 days/skill. 65*12=780 days. That's a bit over two years, and in that time you can get 12 skillcapes playing 2 hours a day, assuming an average xp rate of 100k/hour. In many skills you can get even more. (ranged, magic, prayer, all buyable skills, thieving at high levels)

For the rest of skills, I assume a 40k xp/hour rate. (more with some skills, also depends on training method)

40k xp/hour means ~162 days/skill.

12*162=1944 days.

780+1944=2724 days. That's 7.5 years of training to get all skillcapes playing 2 hours/day with these xp rates. In fact you can get much more in most skills.

Runescape has been out for 8 years and 2 months. In that time it's very much possible to get all 99's playing 2 hours/day.

I think this should be enough proof.

too much generalisation here really...doing something continually for many hours each day signals to other people that you are passionate about whatever you are doing...look at the top sportsmen, scientists, chefs, singers, musicians, actors etc. all these people spend hours daily doing something repeatedly over and over again for practice makes perfect. but no one calls them nerds...no no they are...professionals. but when gamers spend hours in front of their computers...NERDS. perhaps this is because gaming is seen as rather unproductive and useless in life but everyone of us should be entitled to do what we really enjoy...life is just too short and all of us only live it once so why should we live our lives the way others want us to? do what you love doing and be passionate about it...

i have been called nerd quite a few times especially at mini games such as castle war and stealing creation maybe due to my high combat and non-combat skill levels but whenever someone calls me that, i always ignore them and sometimes i do feel that low level players have no determination to train...they get tired of training easily and distracted by all the many things in runescape. that is why many of the high level players are actually quite old. for myself i do definitely have a life outside rs and force myself to stop playing rs whenever there is an upcoming exam or when life gets busy so to sum it all up saying that high levels are nerds is similar to saying that all low levels are immature, rude players...another bad case of generalisation.

maxed out melee on 10/10/08, current goal: 94/99 cooking

life may be unfair, but why can't it be unfair in my favor?

my fake plant died because i forgot to pretend to water it

Selhy.png

I don't know if you'd consider someone of my level high, as I don't have the maxed total or anything like that, but I have got decently high levels and have been playing since february of 05. Does this make me a nerd? Well, no. You see, during all this time playing runescape I've always done theatre. In High School I was always in 2+ more shows at once, with rehearsals from 2 pm to 6:30pm everyday (after a school day of 7am to 2pm) and I just recently graduated from a musical theatre conservatory in new york city. I know loads of professionals in the broadway and film and television business, and I myself have been auditioning for shows, hoping to make it myself.

Now if I could achieve all of this in the same 4 years I've played runescape, while still playing runescape, and I have the talent, hard work and friendships to show for it, I'd say that makes the nerd status go away, right?

I bet a lot of the top 21+ players have amazing lives you just simply don't know about. They usually just have been playing longer or more efficiently than you have. Does not mean they have less of a "real life" than you.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

Well its subjective what you mean by "nerdy.."

This is one of those.. I can do all this cool stuff so I am cool posts. ::'

If being intelligent (I have an iq over 160 *Brag rights*)

Lies.

I do think that high ranking players are quite geeky. Nerds are, by the definition I have learned, people who are quite intelligent, don't have too many friends if any, and are isolated (in study). Geeks are people who are enthusiastic about a subject and have quite a lot of knowledge, ability, or skill in that area. Examples include a computer geek or a band geek. I'm quite geeky about finding out the best ways to level in RuneScape, but I waste a lot of time and could have a significantly higher total level if I hadn't used a lot of time just browsing the internet or just playing minigames on RuneScape.

Now whether they have some real life acquisitions such as a good job/career/degree/education and good social relations depends on their efficiency, the time they have played (when they started RuneScape), and their time used on things other than skills in RuneScape. It really just depends and there are quite a lot of people who do an overwhelming job with keeping balance in their life while excelling.

So you're saying because I'm quite intelligent AND am enthusiastic about it, have an immense amount of knowledge about it, and lots of ability and skill in the area, that I am a nerd? I mean, sure, if you want to call me a nerd for that reason, fine, but I'll take it as a compliment.

Bottom line is that Nerd is a word teenagers and younger created a few decades back to insult others to make themselves feel better. Somehow, by calling someone else a derogatory (or what they feel will be derogatory) name they are proving they are better than that person in "real life." Really, all that child (and yes, I'm using the age card here) is doing is proving how immature and unable to face the real world they are.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

Lies.

I do think that high ranking players are quite geeky. Nerds are, by the definition I have learned, people who are quite intelligent, don't have too many friends if any, and are isolated (in study). Geeks are people who are enthusiastic about a subject and have quite a lot of knowledge, ability, or skill in that area. Examples include a computer geek or a band geek. I'm quite geeky about finding out the best ways to level in RuneScape, but I waste a lot of time and could have a significantly higher total level if I hadn't used a lot of time just browsing the internet or just playing minigames on RuneScape.

Now whether they have some real life acquisitions such as a good job/career/degree/education and good social relations depends on their efficiency, the time they have played (when they started RuneScape), and their time used on things other than skills in RuneScape. It really just depends and there are quite a lot of people who do an overwhelming job with keeping balance in their life while excelling.

Uha.. Donno what your calling me a liar about but thats a good opinion which I somewhat agree with.

Briefly: Imo geeks are people who are intelligent but are generally liked and socialable. Nerds are people who are intelligent but mean and less liked. Again thats all down to opinion. The same way the word 'noob' is. Being a geek or a nerd is linked to any particular subject you want. Its also a immature saying imo but I dont mind it either. I accept people like to chuck it about and take it as a compliment most times depending who said it and what context.

Tbh I dont act smart and love to live life myself so although im a geek I am also reasonably 'normal' too in a abnormal way. If that makes any sense lol.

-

Chucking something else out there.

I dont mention it often but some high ranking (Aswell as lower) players must have OCD too which helps out alot in this game. (While levelling to keep fast xp rates etc.) If you have control over that condition you can play safely without it consuming you. So im not saying they are compulsive players. I said 'some' as there are undoubtedly people who are just very passionate about the game. Me included.

Thats one mental condition/gift of many that can actively aid players keep efficiency aswell as intelligence which often comes with such conditions/mind.

Anyway this is far too deep for this forum so I stop there. Also understand this applies to ALL PLAYERS. So its actually rather irrelevant lol. If you consider someone who is passionate about something to be a geek then yes many high levels are.. If you do not consider a geek to be this.. Then I guess they are not. Its down to opinion. I highly believe that most 'high level's have 'lives' though. People cant survive without them.. Every high level I met has a 'life' outside of runescape. Its kinda immature to presume otherwise.

[hide=]

Lies.

Uha.. Donno what your calling me a liar about but thats a good opinion which I somewhat agree with.

Briefly: Imo geeks are people who are intelligent but are generally liked and socialable. Nerds are people who are intelligent but mean and less liked. Again thats all down to opinion. The same way the word 'noob' is. Being a geek or a nerd is linked to any particular subject you want. Its also a immature saying imo but I dont mind it either. I accept people like to chuck it about and take it as a compliment most times depending who said it and what context.

Tbh I dont act smart and love to live life myself so although im a geek I am also reasonably 'normal' too in a abnormal way. If that makes any sense lol.

-

I dont mention it often but some high ranking (Aswell as lower) players must have OCD too which helps out alot in this game. (While levelling to keep fast xp rates etc.) If you have control over that condition you can play safely without it consuming you. So im not saying they are compulsive players. I said 'some' as there are undoubtedly people who are just very passionate about the game. Me included.

Thats one mental condition/gift of many that can actively aid players keep efficiency aswell as intelligence which often comes with such conditions/mind.

Anyway this is far too deep for this forum so I stop there. Also understand this applies to ALL PLAYERS. So its actually rather irrelevant lol. If you consider someone who is passionate about something to be a geek then yes many high levels are.. If you do not consider a geek to be this.. Then I guess they are not. Its down to opinion. I highly believe that most 'high level's have 'lives' though. People cant survive without them.. Every high level I met has a 'life' outside of runescape. Its kinda immature to presume otherwise.

[/hide]

You definitely don't have an IQ above 160 if you couldn't even figure out what I was calling you a liar about. :roll:

When i see someone who's achieved a status or a goal in game, i just remember them for a bit but i don't think about it after that.

I find this topic stupid, as it discusses players. It's no point to discuss about others...

It's like saying "How well do you Know Zezima" or "How many times have you seen Zezima", "Does Zezima know you", "Spot Zezima!".

Just give it a break already. It's a game..

I agree. I've never understood the way a large majority of the population become fixated with the highest ranking players.

Pointless idol worship = lose.

i_j00_m0m.png

The stars are matter, we're matter, but it doesn't matter.

-Don Van Vliet

High ranking players are NOT nerdy.

I'm a pretty close friend of one of those high ranked players and he's one of the most funny and social guys I have ever met.

On the other hand,

I know this other player who's skills are kinda bad and who is a complete nerd, so don't judge people by their levels,

it's like judging people on their looks, it never works out ;)

grtz

RSN:neovenator

proud fire cape owner

proud fighter torso owner

Not as nerdy as we think, but definitely nerdy. But is it really bad to be a nerd? a geek yes, but not a nerd. Being on the first page on the highscores means that you have been playing for a long time and that you are dedicated. Not necessarily trapped in a basement playing 24/7. However it can show that you might lack social life such as "going out" but that is fine because some people dont enjoy that.

[hide=]

Lies.

-

[/hide]

You definitely don't have an IQ above 160 if you couldn't even figure out what I was calling you a liar about. :roll:

*rolls eyes back*

I dont care about proving it. Jealousy sucks [wagon] especially over the internet.. #-o

The average is 80-120 with genius around the mark of 140-160. Its not uncommon for me to meet people with IQs over 140. I simply am higher and if anyone is jealous of that then thats their problem tbh. I was banter joking although I was serious. Not seriously bragging.

To point it out is embarrassing they felt they had to.

If you have 99 in most skills, you probably play a whole lot.

So you could be considered "nerdy".

The ones who have played for years and years to get high levels, it isnt so bad, because it kind of means they are at least a semi casual player, but the ones who get ultra high levels in less than a year, play to much for there own good.

O.O

The ones who have played for years and years to get high levels, it isnt so bad, because it kind of means they are at least a semi casual player, but the ones who get ultra high levels in less than a year, play to much for there own good.

I agree with this. I've seen people with 99 attack and str and have said "lol ive only had this account for a year". There is seriously something wrong with that. And those people that I've seen say that, just end up sitting around the ge alching :roll: not pking or anything...

Unfinished netherrack symbol of Khorne.

Never forget. ~creeper face w/single tear~

DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES TOO?!?!

[hide=]

Lies.

-

[/hide]

*rolls eyes back*

I dont care about proving it. Jealousy sucks [wagon] especially over the internet.. #-o

The average is 80-120 with genius around the mark of 140-160. Its not uncommon for me to meet people with IQs over 140. I simply am higher and if anyone is jealous of that then thats their problem tbh. I was banter joking although I was serious. Not seriously bragging.

To point it out is embarrassing they felt they had to.

Why bother bringing up things of little relevance and/or that which can't be proven over 't3h int3rn3tz'. Not only that, but even if you were to put something of substance to prove your claims, most of us still wouldn't believe you. Not only are IQ tests inefficient and inaccurate in determining what they claim to do but consider this; Albert Einstein who is universally considered to be brilliant, never took an IQ test in his life but most historians and scientists typically agree that he had an IQ of around 160, if you are trying to claim that you have intelligence on a level similar to or equal to Einstein..well don't expect any of us to believe you. Meh, I would be more inclined to believe this is one of those cases of someone taking one of those silly little IQ tests that are so rampant on the internet that have very little scientific or sound base, and thus that someone scoring a 'high IQ' on that test and going around proclaiming it so, and believing in it.

A nerd to me was always someone who was smart, and all they cared about was school. I look at most high levels as people who are probably similar to me. Work all day and dont have anything better to do then play runescape most of the time. I dont think someones total level or xp really says how often they play the game, after all if you played only a few hours a week for years you by this point would be a pretty good level.

envysfavouritemember.png

I think its split, alot of people have been playing for a really long time, so you can't really tell them anything.

But there are others who play wayy too much, i have an irl friend, and he plays maybe 9 or more hours a day -.-

On certain days i admit i do play alot, but i dont play that much, and every though i might not call him a 'nerd' per se, its definitely not good =\

If you have 99 in most skills, you probably play a whole lot.

So you could be considered "nerdy".

So what about poeple like me who've played for almost 8 years and still have NO 99 Skill or a Quest Cape?

Popoto.~<3

Work smart *Not* hard. If you plan your time and organise things well you don't need to play nearly as much as a lot of people may think.

Take me for example - currently 27.55m experience in slayer and started when i joined Runescape mid way through 2005. I don't play more then an hour or two per night. I'm going on 19, have a full time job working 40-50 hours a week and I *always make time* for family and or friends. The time that i have playing I make sure its not spent sitting around in a bank chatting or dilly-daddling.

Whats a nerd anyway? I don't live in a basement and if it's related to sitting down in front of the box all the time.. you'll find that I'm fit and healthy. I'm not the smartest cookie in the jar I admit but on the otherhand I'm no drongo.

Come visit my Slayer Blog. http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=786704

patrick2503.png

funnyassiggy.jpg