High ranking players not as "nerdy" as we think?

FirenLazah

If you have 99 in most skills, you probably play a whole lot.

So you could be considered "nerdy".

The ones who have played for years and years to get high levels, it isnt so bad, because it kind of means they are at least a semi casual player, but the ones who get ultra high levels in less than a year, play to much for there own good.

So what about poeple like me who've played for almost 8 years and still have NO 99 Skill or a Quest Cape?

Z0mg n00b@@@

It just shows you're a casual player i guess? That or you just waste alot of time XD Just kidding.

I think as soon as people see players with high lvls they immediately think to themselves "nerd", but its not necessarily true

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the nerdy ones are the people who flame higher levels. Higher levels are the same as everyone else, just more efficient. In the time it takes for someone to flame a higher level, they could be using that time to make money or train their skills to a higher level.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

lol i read something on time magazine i think about a report where 4M chinese kids that were addicted to online gaming and sent to an expensive boot camp by their parents for therapy. some of these top ranked players need that :lol:

it's fine devoting so much time and energy to something you enjoy but it could certainly be used better than putting in thousands of hours to an online game. but hey i'm not one to judge :wall:

we play rs = we're nerds, ask someone at school what they think about that. "hey i play rs for like 20 hrs- 80 hrs a week for the past 3+ years, does that make me a nerd?" it would be a majority rule tbh

some on more extreme cases than others, n0valyfe for example. he knew the game was ruining his life. he wasn't in denial like some of the current "top ranks"

What?

m_theory11.png

If you have 99 in most skills, you probably play a whole lot.

So you could be considered "nerdy".

The ones who have played for years and years to get high levels, it isnt so bad, because it kind of means they are at least a semi casual player, but the ones who get ultra high levels in less than a year, play to much for there own good.

I suppose that this is one of the problems of using the word "nerd" liberally...it gives a horrible assumption of some person. In this case, just because one has 99 in most skills, that doesn't mean that they're nerdy at all - it means that they have a fair chunk of free time (or patience) at their disposal.

That's also not to say that someone that gets super high levels in less than a year is a nerd, either - they may have found a more efficient way to train certain skills than what is commonly perceived to be the best. (I know I'm looking into using Tiaras to level to 85 RC sometime in 2011, haha. :P) Iron was always better Smithing EXP per buck, and the Arzinian Mines have been a great place to powermine gold. [Aside] With the advent of Clay tools, experience comes in twofold on any particular item, and it only requires at most 85 games of Stealing Creation to get the most ambitious of goals with specific tools.

I think that it's more about making use of what time you have, not spending gobs and gobs of time on the game. Those players that had 99 combat stats probably used Pest Control before the nerf (and in retrospect, I can't really complain about it); those that had other high stats probably ground them out using the most effective methods available.

it's fine devoting so much time and energy to something you enjoy but it could certainly be used better than putting in thousands of hours to an online game. but hey i'm not one to judge :wall:

we play rs = we're nerds, ask someone at school what they think about that. "hey i play rs for like 20 hrs- 80 hrs a week for the past 3+ years, does that make me a nerd?" it would be a majority rule tbh

some on more extreme cases than others, n0valyfe for example. he knew the game was ruining his life. he wasn't in denial like some of the current "top ranks"

N0valyfe was probably one of the only high-levels that openly ran a blog about his gaming. The other high levels probably aren't "in denial", so much as you being dead wrong about how this game affects them.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

That's also not to say that someone that gets super high levels in less than a year is a nerd, either - they may have found a more efficient way to train certain skill than what is commonly perceived to be the best.

Look, it dosent really matter how efficiently you train, if you have multiple 99's in less than a year, without bug abuse/extreme luck and money to throw around, you probably play to much, or have far to much time to throw around (primary school, etc)

Thats not to say your a nerd, because nerds would spend there time doing homework, etc, not playing runescape, but it would make them what runescapers perceive as "nerdy".

O.O

[hide=]
Well its subjective what you mean by "nerdy.."

This is one of those.. I can do all this cool stuff so I am cool posts. ::'

If being intelligent (I have an iq over 160 *Brag rights*)

Lies.

I do think that high ranking players are quite geeky. Nerds are, by the definition I have learned, people who are quite intelligent, don't have too many friends if any, and are isolated (in study). Geeks are people who are enthusiastic about a subject and have quite a lot of knowledge, ability, or skill in that area. Examples include a computer geek or a band geek. I'm quite geeky about finding out the best ways to level in RuneScape, but I waste a lot of time and could have a significantly higher total level if I hadn't used a lot of time just browsing the internet or just playing minigames on RuneScape.

Now whether they have some real life acquisitions such as a good job/career/degree/education and good social relations depends on their efficiency, the time they have played (when they started RuneScape), and their time used on things other than skills in RuneScape. It really just depends and there are quite a lot of people who do an overwhelming job with keeping balance in their life while excelling.

Uha.. Donno what your calling me a liar about but thats a good opinion which I somewhat agree with.

Briefly: Imo geeks are people who are intelligent but are generally liked and socialable. Nerds are people who are intelligent but mean and less liked. Again thats all down to opinion. The same way the word 'noob' is. Being a geek or a nerd is linked to any particular subject you want. Its also a immature saying imo but I dont mind it either. I accept people like to chuck it about and take it as a compliment most times depending who said it and what context.

Tbh I dont act smart and love to live life myself so although im a geek I am also reasonably 'normal' too in a abnormal way. If that makes any sense lol.

-

Chucking something else out there.

I dont mention it often but some high ranking (Aswell as lower) players must have OCD too which helps out alot in this game. (While levelling to keep fast xp rates etc.) If you have control over that condition you can play safely without it consuming you. So im not saying they are compulsive players. I said 'some' as there are undoubtedly people who are just very passionate about the game. Me included.

Thats one mental condition/gift of many that can actively aid players keep efficiency aswell as intelligence which often comes with such conditions/mind.

Anyway this is far too deep for this forum so I stop there. Also understand this applies to ALL PLAYERS. So its actually rather irrelevant lol. If you consider someone who is passionate about something to be a geek then yes many high levels are.. If you do not consider a geek to be this.. Then I guess they are not. Its down to opinion. I highly believe that most 'high level's have 'lives' though. People cant survive without them.. Every high level I met has a 'life' outside of runescape. Its kinda immature to presume otherwise.

[/hide]

You definitely don't have an IQ above 160 if you couldn't even figure out what I was calling you a liar about. :roll:

*rolls eyes back*

I dont care about proving it. Jealousy sucks [wagon] especially over the internet.. #-o

The average is 80-120 with genius around the mark of 140-160. Its not uncommon for me to meet people with IQs over 140. I simply am higher and if anyone is jealous of that then thats their problem tbh. I was banter joking although I was serious. Not seriously bragging.

To point it out is embarrassing they felt they had to.

Why bother bringing up things of little relevance and/or that which can't be proven over 't3h int3rn3tz'. Not only that, but even if you were to put something of substance to prove your claims, most of us still wouldn't believe you. Not only are IQ tests inefficient and inaccurate in determining what they claim to do but consider this; Albert Einstein who is universally considered to be brilliant, never took an IQ test in his life but most historians and scientists typically agree that he had an IQ of around 160, if you are trying to claim that you have intelligence on a level similar to or equal to Einstein..well don't expect any of us to believe you. Meh, I would be more inclined to believe this is one of those cases of someone taking one of those silly little IQ tests that are so rampant on the internet that have very little scientific or sound base, and thus that someone scoring a 'high IQ' on that test and going around proclaiming it so, and believing in it.

Not only this, but quite frankly I will say one more thing in addition: People who are truly intelligent need not brag about it. If you really have an IQ (which, by the way, IQ tests really aren't an accurate account of anything of importance anyway) of 160, you wouldn't need to be telling everyone you've got it. True intelligence comes from those who don't know they are intelligent, they just are.

And anyway, you sound a lot like some high school kid trying to make himself appear older or more knowledgable on an internet forum. Really? I'm mean....really? There's nothing to prove, and if you're claims of an IQ of over (we're talking over 160, not even around or at 160) you should be securing jobs doing something like rocket science or engineering or finding a cure for cancer or inventing the next life changing product. But instead, you're using that intelligence to sit here and prove to us you're intelligent. That is called waste, and if you were truly a bright individual, you would not be wasting your talents.

archsupportei2.png

outsanitysig1jc0.png

|2,300+ Total|138 Combat|12 Lvl 99 Skills|99 Slayer|blogbutton.png

Getting all 99's in a short time like N0valyfe (2 years, is a short time for all 99's) Is pretty crazy. Something like THAT pretty much makes you look like you play the game quite a lot. If you played since like, 2004 and just got all 99's in 2008 or so thats different.

If I never quit I'd probably have all 99's by atleast 2013...

kazmahalfsize.png

That's also not to say that someone that gets super high levels in less than a year is a nerd, either - they may have found a more efficient way to train certain skill than what is commonly perceived to be the best.

Look, it dosent really matter how efficiently you train, if you have multiple 99's in less than a year, without bug abuse/extreme luck and money to throw around, you probably play to much, or have far to much time to throw around (primary school, etc)

Thats not to say your a nerd, because nerds would spend there time doing homework, etc, not playing runescape, but it would make them what runescapers perceive as "nerdy".

Actually, it matters very much how efficiently you train. Who is going to get 99 fletching faster, the guy fletching dragon darts, or the guy making arrow shafts?

If you're good at this game, like a few other posters have said, you don't need to spend a ton of time playing to get a lot of experience. Consider that you probably log on and just stand around doing nothing while the top ranked players are out there working very hard on gaining experience. It all adds up.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I have been called many things in this game.. "noob" "friend" "m8" "GOD" "Captain Luau Bannon Junior the Frog" ( ::' ) but never once a nerd..

Where do you people find these kids.. (who are obviously kids, anyone with an IQ higher than a cucumber can clearly realize just because you skill total is high you are not a nerd)

I guess it's all about the company you keep. I like having a full ignore list and 30 people (if that) on my friends list. It lets me know there are nice people out there you just gotta find them.

(BTW accepting all friends onto my list.. admission price 10k <3: )

Apparently, my signature was to big.

Actually, it matters very much how efficiently you train. Who is going to get 99 fletching faster, the guy fletching dragon darts, or the guy making arrow shafts?

If you're good at this game, like a few other posters have said, you don't need to spend a ton of time playing to get a lot of experience. Consider that you probably log on and just stand around doing nothing while the top ranked players are out there working very hard on gaining experience. It all adds up.

And, its still going to take forever, and you need to get the money in the first place to fletch the dragon darts by either extreme luck, or epic skilling and combat to get money.

O.O

an interesting topic and i think i agree with the majority of answers people have written.

yes it's true the top people in any 'field' have an enthusiasm for what they're doing. so that's a good point.

i think for me personally, a lot of the work was done early on, example: like building a house, you need the lot, the deed, the cash etc. know the right people to get the job done etc. then you start building.

i'm sure for most "high level" people they play a lot for periods of time but not like that all the time. i hardly even play anymore but when i do i get a lot done. but yeah they do play a LOT. and that could be a good thing or bad it's really depending on circumstances. better than killing someone and spending 20 years in prison. certain events in their life could trigger a longer playing time than usual. on occasion or even on a more regular basis etc.

i do think they use their time fairly efficiently ingame and that probably plays out in a similar way irl. but i just think the race to 200M thing for several skills is just about competition and i really think barring that factor they'd probably be doing other things?

to me, runescape is like picking up a book and reading it more or less. making several decisions to follow several other decisions and that engages the brain; which can be stimulating. but repetitive stuff like going for 200M cooking or fletching or any skill really or being in the top 21, you must be doing a lot of surfing and i really think they do spend too much time playing a game. i dont think of them as nerds more just competitive people that are driven by that and at the same time probably have issues that are more easily dealt with by being able to 'escape into a less complex' world. :)

an additional note: there was a time when i enjoyed the player interaction of runescape but less so nowadays due to a variety of factors; and in turn i play less. i've always enjoyed helping newer players and that is still true to this day. but, i play less now.

for the top 21 players i would hope they enjoy the player interaction but i tend to believe that isnt much of factor but it would make sense if they did.

[hide=-this is my signature- guides i've written]full list is at the top of <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754">viewtopic.php?f=180&t=775754</a><!-- l -->[/hide]

[hide=QuoteBox]

[/hide]

And, its still going to take forever, and you need to get the money in the first place to fletch the dragon darts by either extreme luck, or epic skilling and combat to get money.

Okay, I can see your point here. Yes, it will take a while to get the resources necessary to begin leveling, but then again, Hunter isn't so hard to level to Chinchompas, and doing that until 99 rakes in more than enough cash to do whatever skill you like. Of course, ~33M isn't a lot, but if you know what you're doing with a certain skill or skills, you can stretch (or multiply) that cashpile in a matter of a month.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Stop focusing on the example rather than the point. The point is that if you waste zero time while you're logged in and you're as efficient as possible (which doesn't have to cost a lot of money), you can max out relatively quickly. N0va and Zarfot are good examples.

Money will help, but being swift with a mouse is equally important.

dgs5.jpg

Stop focusing on the example rather than the point. The point is that if you waste zero time while you're logged in and you're as efficient as possible (which doesn't have to cost a lot of money), you can max out relatively quickly. N0va and Zarfot are good examples.

You almost couldn't have picked such bad examples. Both of those players quit Runescape because they played far too much and it was affecting them. Apparently Zarfot is coming back after quitting only to get into playing other games just as much as he overdid it with Runescape. Something along the lines of If im going to overdo it might as well over do it with Runescape a game I like and still have goals in.

Time is THE most important, money later, and being "swift" with the mouse is last.

I don't care how efficient you are, if you don't have alot of time on your hands, your not going to get very far.

O.O

You almost couldn't have picked such bad examples. Both of those players quit Runescape because they played far too much and it was affecting them. Apparently Zarfot is coming back after quitting only to get into playing other games just as much as he overdid it with Runescape. Something along the lines of If im going to overdo it might as well over do it with Runescape a game I like and still have goals in.

Wow, really? Thank you for the irrelevant commentary.

Time is THE most important, money later, and being "swift" with the mouse is last.

I don't care how efficient you are, if you don't have alot of time on your hands, your not going to get very far.

You're absolutely right about time, and being swift with a mouse cuts down on that time dramatically. Money is least important seeing as how it's so easy to make.

"A lot of time" is extremely relative. It may take "a lot of time" for YOU to max out, but for someone who has made it a goal and who knows what he/she is doing, it could take as a little as a year and a half. A good portion of that time would be spent Runecrafting and Slaying.

dgs5.jpg

Whats the direct stereotypical opposite of being a nerd? Being a jock, I suppose.

So in the long run I'd rather be considered nerdy in the first 20-30 years of life and from than on give orders to the entire football team.

Orders like "take out the trash, igor" or "yes, I'll take cream in my coffee".

p.s. real nerds have full rune irl and legends cape

superest_super_nerd.jpg