How Steep do you Think Runescape's Learning Curve is?

Nero

Obviously you can't compare it to a game like EVE Online, but I'm just curious as to how steep people think Runescape's learning curve is.

There's tutorial island in the beginning, but it really only glosses over the most basic gameplay elements, like lighting a fire or *snicker* baking bread. You get out of tutorial island and you have this giant world you have to learn about. Where do you mine ore? Where the hell is the bank? Where do you fish? Where's this place called Varrock you keep hearing about?

And then you get to the plethora of acronyms we've invented for this game. fh, dds, sgs, bh, pvp, p2p, f2p, sos, pc, dp, cw, cw (again), dfs, etc, etc (goes on forever when you think about it).

So, how difficult is it to get "good" at Runescape, and actually know enough to understand what everyone is talking about?

the games really user friendly imo. with the skill tutuors, sigh-posts, ingame maps, and the average player, its easy to learn how to play.

timmyx50sig1.png

Thx AquaMare for the amazing sig!

[hide=Clicky!]Points2Shop

it's ligit, ive used it. hey, its a great way to kill time. :)[/hide]

[hide=drops and stuff.]Bandos drops: 2X Shard 3, 5X Bandos Plate, X1 Bandos Tasset

PROUD owner of the fire cape since October 9th, 2008

6X Black Mask Drops[/hide]

The controls of the game are simple to learn. All the acronyms take a bit longer, but most people are willing to tell you what they mean, except the idiots in a certain clan chat that drag the meaning of HYT through a garbage dump every time someone asks.

Learning curve isn't that bad, and if you are having troubles, there are plenty of guides to help you along.

35b9enp.jpg

Luring curve is fairly steep - it's very hard to know where to train what, or how to make money. I remember being confused and spending a lot of time walking around exploring when I first joined. Skill tutors don't help that much, the information is too basic and non-specific.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

I'd say it pretty easy to learn how to play, but it really depends on how much time you spend on it and how well you talk to other people.

If you just explore alone, things will be hard -but if you make friends and talk to others then they can quickly help you and things are much easier.

unorclanpixelsigzu1.png

Thanks to the amazing talent of Jopie211 for the sig!

Finest Fist of Guthix Strategy Guide

Are we talking F2P or P2P?

I'd assume f2p because that's where most new players start.

Either or. There's the learning curve when you first start, and then another one when you get members.

Like, what's the difference between an obby shield and a dragon shield?

Honestly, Runescape's learning curve is very gentle. If it wasn't, the population wouldn't favor the pre-teen bracket so much.

Everything's pretty automatic. Aside from guides, tutorials, and warnings, combat is almost sickeningly simple. Attack a monster then sit back and watch your character hack and slash, with no input. Sure, specs and spells mix things up a bit in P2P, but not much.

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

the learning curve isn't that bad imo, i feel like rs did a pretty good job in the way things are shorta opened up the player, to gain really fully understand rs can take a very long time taking things step by step, but if your willing to spend the time you will get there

legends2.jpg

The controls of the game are simple to learn. All the acronyms take a bit longer, but most people are willing to tell you what they mean, except the idiots in a certain clan chat that drag the meaning of HYT through a garbage dump every time someone asks.

Learning curve isn't that bad, and if you are having troubles, there are plenty of guides to help you along.

Hot Young Teachers is the only acceptable answer. :P

The learning curve is very gradual if you just want to learn how to play the game in general. If you want the play very efficiently, and use advanced stuff like chinning and pray flashing, it's a bit steeper, but can easily be done on your own. I prefer the help of a clan chat, though.

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

Hot Young Teachers is the only acceptable answer. :P

The learning curve is very gradual if you just want to learn how to play the game in general. If you want the play very efficiently, and use advanced stuff like chinning and pray flashing, it's a bit steeper, but can easily be done on your own. I prefer the help of a clan chat, though.

35b9enp.jpg

I think it's easy enough to learn the controls, but takes a long time to really MASTER them. I also think it takes a long time for new players to really figure everything out, know where to train, how to train, how to make money, memorize the map, etc. I think Runescape gives the illusion of being a simple game, but it's extremely deep and complex.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

I think it's easy enough to learn the controls, but takes a long time to really MASTER them. I also think it takes a long time for new players to really figure everything out, know where to train, how to train, how to make money, memorize the map, etc. I think Runescape gives the illusion of being a simple game, but it's extremely deep and complex.

The arrow keys & mouse are still giving me a hard time. :roll:

Like any game you play (RPG or not), the basics come easily, & the harder stuff (couldn't find a substitute for "harder") you learn gradually.

Period.

Only fear God,

Know the weapons of the weak,

The weakness of the hard.

Tbh, they made it too user friendly and it ruined the game

i remember reading a post somewhere along the lines of

'remember when you started all them years back, struggling around to the nearest bank, killing a few goblins with your bronze long and not look nowadays, go from tutor to tutor telling you what to do, putting a bank in lumbridge...'

and i agree

it builds character having to fend for yourself, tbh it would have helped remove some noobs, many would have stopped playing imo if they were oblvivious, nowadays you go 30 seconds and you see another tutor, its pathetic

Jamje.png

null and void

In my mind, Runescape's learning curve looks like:

hookes-law-001.gif

with players experiencing a Yield Strength near 616 MPa and hardcore players reach an Ultimate Strength of 882 MPa.

After enough Stress, players tend to reach their Failure Strain near 25.5%

Source

When I first started playing RS, back in 2001, it was nothing like it is now; all though RS was about 5% of what it is now.

I remember I was extremely inefficient and clueless.

New players have so many options to learn and become a fair scaper now-a-days; all their options might become a little overwhelming lol.

bike.png

Suggest a poll for Tip.it - Here!

Try to stay serious troughout reading this post. ;)

When I started back at 2004 (or something) I didn't get the hang of it too good. It was probably b/c of my lack on English, but also because back then I had almost no idea where I were in the world. It took me about 1 month (I didn't play at home, could only play at friend's place) to understand how to get out of lumbridge. :wall: After that (I also bought a world map from general store) I started to learn about the world of RS. I also discovered bank like about 2 months (?) after starting to play- call that a convenient place.... My inv was full all the time (of killing goblins which was only thing I was good at) I couldn't even find a store -.- . And LOL I remember when I discovered how to string amulets after about 3 months of playing :D . I was so exited.

But now (with the new tutorial) the navigating in Lumbridge should be easier. It shows you where to get things you need (exept for mine, as it collapses) and where you should go next. And the tutors are REALLY helpful. If I would have such good place to start I would have gotten much better start.

So at least the curve has gone for better for the beginners.

(And for the first paragraph of the post- I HAD NO CLUE ABOUT HELP SITES)

So my start was miserable....

(Laugh as much as you want now)

E: LAWL, I just thought I deleted the post so I came out with another thing:

[hide=THIS- quite long, but some more things]Okay... I just wrote about 300 words of how pitiful I was at start and so on and so on and I clicked the Cancel button #-o .. Anyways I think the curve has gone much more shallow during the past 2-3 years- the new tutorial, tutors, Runescape homepage as an informational site and so on.

At 2004 (when I started) the RS homepage had fairly little information at all, and as I didn't speak English very well, I was stuck in Lumby, even not knowing there are banks and stores and such. But with every failure I knew a bit more about RS- what not to do and how to go somewhere. After getting a in-game world map (you guys remember it?) I atleast knew where I were, and after some time I didn't even need it.

... Okay I went a bit off-course... But my point is that even though RS does more to do make the game easier for beginners to start with, even at almost no tutors can one understand RS through experience.[/hide]

joke33.png

archsupportei2.png

My Blog of pure... Uhmm... Well... Something...

Proud owner of Quest Cape, achieved 05.08.2008

29062th to Woodcutting 99, 02.05.2009