[Updated 9 Dec] Reviving Smithing : Divinite

Zaaps1

Maybe an idea for more ammo for the handcannon; those vials you made during legend's which hit hard on demons, those could be like the silverlight, low (max 5?) damage on normal monsters, but high to very high damage on demons, just like the silverlight, it increases by the strenght of the demon, silverlight is like rune on lesser demons, but better on greaters, etc. (or that was because I grew stronger since I tested it on lessers :wall: ) well, anyways you getthe point, don't you?

EDIT: I forgot to say your suggestion is *insertswearingwoordhere*ing good.

I was not aware silverlight and holy vials did that, but that's a great idea! I'll see if I can work it in.

Thanks for the response!

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that Mining and Smithing need an update. F2P and P2P, but all of those new weapons are not needed. From what I've seen on your Dragonkin Quest you like inventing new weapons etc. But I don't see the need for so any new weapons, we have enough in the game already. No support.

I agree that Mining and Smithing need an update. F2P and P2P, but all of those new weapons are not needed. From what I've seen on your Dragonkin Quest you like inventing new weapons etc. But I don't see the need for so any new weapons, we have enough in the game already. No support.

Not just new weapons, buddy, thinking up anything new is fun for me. I've had fun writing up all of my suggestions, not just this one. ::'

Maybe all these weapons aren't needed. That's fine. But here's how I see it, smithing isn't smithing unless you are making combat equipment, right? I mean, honestly you don't smith for any other reason. Everything you smith is combat equipment, except maybe small useless stuff like bronze wires.

So for smithing to make a comeback in any form, obviously an increase in combat equipment MUST follow. So I wrote up this idea with a huge amount of weapons. My thinking was: "If I only propose 3 or 4 weapons, the chances are high than Jagex might not like it and turn down the idea. But the more weapons I suggest, the more the chance that Jagex will accept the idea." I don't expect Jagex to take all of this, but bits and pieces. That's the nature of any suggestion, it won't be copied word for word.

Support!

Thanks for your support! :D

250 mining for the ore

170 smithing for the bar

580 smithing for any item

500 prayer for blessing

There you go. Smithing these divine items would be a loss and the update would accomplish nothing except making mining even more overpowered then it is now (you think rune mining is bad? lol. How profitable is woodcutting? Fishing? Thieving? It's those skills that need an update), and allowing extremely rich players to powertrain smithing with ridiculous speed.

Smithing is not a loss because of monster drops. Smithing is a loss because players are willing to forsake profit to train the skill quickly.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

250 mining for the ore

170 smithing for the bar

580 smithing for any item

500 prayer for blessing

There you go. Smithing these divine items would be a loss and the update would accomplish nothing except making mining even more overpowered then it is now (you think rune mining is bad? lol. How profitable is woodcutting? Fishing? Thieving? It's those skills that need an update), and allowing extremely rich players to powertrain smithing with ridiculous speed.

Smithing is not a loss because of monster drops. Smithing is a loss because players are willing to forsake profit to train the skill quickly.

My main focus was *not* on mining. As I stated, the benefit mining would get just "comes along". Can you think of a way to bring back smithing that will not help mining? Do woodcutting, fishing, and thieving need an update? Yes and no. Yes because they have no real benefits, but no because they are popular skills already (maybe not thieving). But are we talking about any of those three skills right now?

The supply of the items would be too low for powertraining to be possible. Think about how it is now. You get a lot of xp for smithing a dragon platebody, so one could, in theory, achieve insanely high smithing xp if he just smithed dragon plates. The same can go for prayer and blessing spirit shields. But the supply is too low, and the cost of the supplies too high, that powertraining using this would not make a viable method.

True, the supply would be higher than any of the above I've mentioned. However, when you look at it, it's not that much higher than rune, given the increased rarity.

Smithing may not be a loss because of monster drops. Smithing is at a loss because no one is willing to buy the products. Who, except f2p, uses rune armor anymore? The rune armor that people do use is most likely from Treasure Trails anyway, not smithing, although there is a small minority that is. Since there is virtually no demand, the prices would fall. Since the supply (of ore and bars too, to an extent) would remain the same and not fall along with the demand, the profit of smithing falls and then goes into loss. Therefore, the problem can be traced to that lack of good products from smithing, which can be traced to lack of updates, Treasure Trails, and Monster drops.

And players are willing to forsake profit for speed? Maybe NOW they are, AFTER smithing is already at a loss. You aren't losing time by selling something, first of all. Second, I don't believe that is the case for smithing. Remember, before Treasure Trails and the beefing up of Monster drops, the Smithers were the only ones who could make the weapons and armor. So they're the only manufacturers, and therefore they have the power to set the prices. In addition, the products were good enough to make a high price, and therefore profit.

In addition, this suggestion is now a debate about why smithing is a dead skill. This is a suggestion to bring back smithing. So what, then, is your point? Are you saying that people will sell these items very cheaply in hopes to get "faster xp"? That is impossible. You cannot get faster xp in that way, simply because the supply is so limited. Think of it this way, if you go to the GE and are able to buy 7 bars, but ONLY 7 bar (because there exist no more selling offers), how much would you sell it. It does not matter if you sell your product for 17b or 2gp, you aren't going to buy any more bars, so you would try to profit from it. Of course you would not try to sell it at a loss, because you have the power to decide what the price is. You think the buyer will? That's incorrect, because the seller always has the advantage over the buyer if the item is as exclusive as this is.

Are you saying that people will sell these items very cheaply in hopes to get "faster xp"? That is impossible. You cannot get faster xp in that way, simply because the supply is so limited. Think of it this way, if you go to the GE and are able to buy 7 bars, but ONLY 7 bar (because there exist no more selling offers), how much would you sell it. It does not matter if you sell your product for 17b or 2gp, you aren't going to buy any more bars, so you would try to profit from it. Of course you would not try to sell it at a loss, because you have the power to decide what the price is. You think the buyer will? That's incorrect, because the seller always has the advantage over the buyer if the item is as exclusive as this is.

Are we talking about partyhats here? I distantly recall that there may be a possibility of more of this divine ore coming into the game.

People who want to train smithing quickly will pay big money for the ore. Miners, realizing that the ore is very valuable, will mine it. Thus a constant supply is created and players looking for fast smithing xp (many of them do) will smith divine. If you want this to be profitable you will have to cut the xp gains so that it's significantly slower than the fastest current methods of training smithing.

Ah, this reminds me about the noob on the Runescape forums who was upset with the quest "Cold War" because apparently his grandparents died in the war. :wall:

Are you saying that people will sell these items very cheaply in hopes to get "faster xp"? That is impossible. You cannot get faster xp in that way, simply because the supply is so limited. Think of it this way, if you go to the GE and are able to buy 7 bars, but ONLY 7 bar (because there exist no more selling offers), how much would you sell it. It does not matter if you sell your product for 17b or 2gp, you aren't going to buy any more bars, so you would try to profit from it. Of course you would not try to sell it at a loss, because you have the power to decide what the price is. You think the buyer will? That's incorrect, because the seller always has the advantage over the buyer if the item is as exclusive as this is.

Are we talking about partyhats here? I distantly recall that there may be a possibility of more of this divine ore coming into the game.

People who want to train smithing quickly will pay big money for the ore. Miners, realizing that the ore is very valuable, will mine it. Thus a constant supply is created and players looking for fast smithing xp (many of them do) will smith divine. If you want this to be profitable you will have to cut the xp gains so that it's significantly slower than the fastest current methods of training smithing.

If you don't care about any of my arguments and just wanna see some change, skip to the last paragraph, otherwise:

I know, but despite that, the rarity will still be low enough to make it impossible for someone to keep smithing these items for a full hour. Think of it this way, you can smith about 4.9k bars per hour at Varrock Anvil if you make 5-bar items. 4.9k bars! I don't think anyone is getting their hands on that much.

In addition, a rune platebody is 375 xp. A rune battle axe is 225xp (level 95, same as the requirement for Divine), but requires 2 less bars. In the end, all rune items get 75 xp per bar, while Divine is 116 xp per bar. I think that sounds like a nice boost, based on the value of the ore, its rarity, and its risk factor.

Now you must be saying, "Zaaps, you said 580 xp for any item!". Yes, thank you for correcting that mistake. I'll change it to 580 xp for a 5 bar item, or 116 xp per bar. I think we've resolved that problem then, thanks for telling me!

EDIT: Doesn't make sense for the xp per bar to be lower than the xp for smelting a bar, does it? I also changed that xp to 100.

Now that I think about it, smithing divine, assuming that it requires the completion of WGS which I don't think you mentioned, would probably be more cost-effective than rune and perhaps profitable. Smelting the stuff is gonna be the real moneymaker though.

In that case the main reason for the profitability would be the hefty requirements. You should realize that just because an item's in high demand doesn't mean making that item will be profitable.

Now that I think about it, smithing divine, assuming that it requires the completion of WGS which I don't think you mentioned, would probably be more cost-effective than rune and perhaps profitable. Smelting the stuff is gonna be the real moneymaker though.

In that case the main reason for the profitability would be the hefty requirements. You should realize that just because an item's in high demand doesn't mean making that item will be profitable.

I know, because the supply may be even higher than the high demand, among other factors. That's why I said a main balancer was the rarity.

Now on RSOF!

76-77-458-58649234

I love the way the specials work, but I think they're a tad overpowered.

And for your mining requirements, I think you made an error. You need Divinite to get the level boost, but you need the level boost to mine it...

I realize they might be overpowered, could you tell me which ones you have in mind.

To clear things up, what I mean in that section is whenever you do anything involving Divinite (along with a Guthix item), you get the boost. So mining a Divinite rock, for example.

Update to armor section:

Metalsilver armor for melee, Gatling armor for ranged, Archfiend armor for magic. I've posted a new special effect for each and their stats.

Armor Specifics:

METALSILVER ARMOR (melee)

Magical armor which will deflect all ranged projectiles 20% of the time

H: 4 all atk/str, 85 sb, 90 sl, 76 cr, 92 rg, -10 mg,

P: 8 all atk/str, 165 sb, 170 sl, 158 cr, 182 rg, -40 mg

L: 5 all atk/str, 110 sb, 120 sl, 104 cr, 126 rg, -25 mg

S: 5 all atk/str, 80 sb, 85 sl, 78 cr, 90 rg, -30 mg

GATLING ARMOR (ranged)

Magical armor which will deflect all spells 20% of the time

H: 13 r atk, 15 sb, 20 sl, 15 cr, 20 rg, 15 mg

P: 43 r atk, 70 sb, 65 sl, 72 cr, 70 rg, 65 mg

L: 30 r atk, 40 sb, 34 sl, 43 cr, 38 rg, 35 mg

S: 10 r atk, 12 sb, 10 sl, 14 cr, 10 rg, 9 mg

ARCHFIEND ARMOR (magic)

Magical armor which will deflect all melee attacks 20% of the time

H: 13 m atk, 25 sb, 21 sl, 26 cr, 10 mg

P: 40 m atk, 65 sb, 54 sl, 67 cr, 40 mg

L: 30 m atk, 45 sb, 40 sl, 50 cr, 25 mg

S: 10 m atk, 15 sb, 13 sl, 22 cr, 10 mg

NOTES:

-If a attack is deflected, it still counts as damage for the attack. That is, if the other guy SGS specced a magic for 40 damage, he would still heal, but the mage wouldn't take any damage. The damage is still there, it just doesn't impact the defender

-All armor has summoning defense equal to the average of its melee defense stats

-All armor gives -10 attack defense to all other combat forms (ex: Metalsilver Helm gives -10 magic and ranged attack)

What did I mean? Well, to name an example... (If it changed I didn't catch it- I'm leaving shortly)

The 'Parry' attack, I believe it's called, for the Longsword (?) has you to not attack and take no damage for 10 seconds, then deal 150% of the damage taken towards your opponent. Even with a warning, this has such an ability to KO almost anybody, even to a larger extend than the Armadyl Godsword or Dragon Claws. Think, even if the person only attacked for three hits, mostly likely you'll deal at least 30 damage. Now imagine if they're using a faster weapon, like a dragon dagger (or even worse, the special attack), against you?

If that is one of the special attacks (I do hope it is), having it deal an amount equal to your defense level (in percent, aka 90 defense = 90%) would give defense a nice boost as well as adding a tad more balance. (I would say works with potions, but that's iffy)

Picture3-1-1-1.jpg

What did I mean? Well, to name an example... (If it changed I didn't catch it- I'm leaving shortly)

The 'Parry' attack, I believe it's called, for the Longsword (?) has you to not attack and take no damage for 10 seconds, then deal 150% of the damage taken towards your opponent. Even with a warning, this has such an ability to KO almost anybody, even to a larger extend than the Armadyl Godsword or Dragon Claws. Think, even if the person only attacked for three hits, mostly likely you'll deal at least 30 damage. Now imagine if they're using a faster weapon, like a dragon dagger (or even worse, the special attack), against you?

If that is one of the special attacks (I do hope it is), having it deal an amount equal to your defense level (in percent, aka 90 defense = 90%) would give defense a nice boost as well as adding a tad more balance. (I would say works with potions, but that's iffy)

I did not realize that. Thank you for posting that! The defense idea sounds perfect imo.

I usually jump right aboard with things like this, but on this particular one, I'm not sure. And I don't know why. It's a well thought out idea though, I just feel it's missing something.

I usually jump right aboard with things like this, but on this particular one, I'm not sure. And I don't know why. It's a well thought out idea though, I just feel it's missing something.

Well I'm all for change. Can you pinpoint it to a particular section?

The most stand-out point is probably obtaining the ore.

Is it too...plain?

Is it too...plain?

I think there're too few rocks, so it will be hard to get one (kind of like rune ore). Conversely I feel if you put any more in it would become too abundant. Do you know what I mean?