Spontaneous Human Combustion

Zierro

There's is always the slightest possibility of an electron splitting an atom in your body causing a micro-nuclear explosion. Sounds like a good way to die.

Heh' yeah, and I can walk through walls and make a killing on the roulette wheel.

There's always that chance.

flobotst.jpg

Hegemony-Spain

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's is always the slightest possibility of an electron splitting an atom in your body causing a micro-nuclear explosion. Sounds like a good way to die.

Heh' yeah, and I can walk through walls and make a killing on the roulette wheel.

There's always that chance.

So small it might aswell not happened.

But you are right, there is always that chance.

What that chance is, I don't know.

Hey !

Its fun to talk in platitudes.

How would one atom splitting do anything? There's no element found in the body that's reactive enough to start the chain splitting reaction of a nuclear explosion. You'd have one atom go pop, and that's about it..

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Do the math: if it has happened to 200 people in history, and there is 6 billion people on earth, the chances of it happening to you are around 1 in 30 million. You are substantially more likley to die from a falling coconut (around 75 deaths per year)

And that's noly 200 cases in all of recorded history. Think of how many people there have been in recorded history.

But yea, it's a far more awesome version of the lottery. I'd love to go that way.

Wikipedia says:

There are about 200 cited cases worldwide over a period of around 300 years

10postchm2105.png

WONGTONG IS THE BEST AND IS MORE SUPERIOR THAN ME

#1 Wongtong stalker.

Im looking for some No Limit soldiers!

Do the math: if it has happened to 200 people in history, and there is 6 billion people on earth, the chances of it happening to you are around 1 in 30 million. You are substantially more likley to die from a falling coconut (around 75 deaths per year)

And that's noly 200 cases in all of recorded history. Think of how many people there have been in recorded history.

But yea, it's a far more awesome version of the lottery. I'd love to go that way.

Wikipedia says:

There are about 200 cited cases worldwide over a period of around 300 years

It's so useless, I've highlighted it THRICE.

On topic: SHC is so rare, think of it as striking the lottery if you do get pwnt by it. You will be a legend.

How would one atom splitting do anything? There's no element found in the body that's reactive enough to start the chain splitting reaction of a nuclear explosion. You'd have one atom go pop, and that's about it..

It's actually quarks flipping and breaking the triplet bond, and that starting a chain reaction. I forget exactly how that works, though.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

What if you eat uranium for breakfast?

doublesmileyface1.png

Cenin pân nîd, istan pân nîd, dan nin ú-cenich, nin ú-istach.

Ithil luin eria vi menel caran...Tîn dan delu.

Wrong. Not everyone has access to Coconut trees, so you have to take into account the amount of people who have access to Coconut trees. So there's more of a chance to die from falling Coconuts then to self-combust.

halo2sigcj2.png

Thanks Jason321 for the sig!^

Proud to have served the Tip.it Crew

Drops: 2x D Chain, 1x D Legs, 2x D Left Half, 1x D spear, 2x D med (monsters), 5x D Med (Barrows), 4x D Axe, 2x Zerker, Abyssal whip x1, 7x D Boots

Barrows items: 55 (not counting the meds)

Wrong. Not everyone has access to Coconut trees, so you have to take into account the amount of people who have access to Coconut trees. So there's more of a chance to die from falling Coconuts then to self-combust.

Also, since it was over a period of time, we have to factor in those who died aswell. Making it perhaps higher?

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

It's actually quarks flipping and breaking the triplet bond, and that starting a chain reaction. I forget exactly how that works, though.

Anything above Bismuth either degrade or go boom-boom. I'm pretty sure Iron is about as high as bodily elements go, spare Iodine.

As a refresher, the whole nuke thing is just a chain reaction started by launching a neutron into a Uranium 235 atom (rare, like 1% of Uranium is this iso), which splits and releases three neutrons, which split more and etc etc...

BOOM.

EDIT: What's this "quark flipping" business? I've never heard of that, and with Conservation of Charge I don't see how neutrons could turn into protons or vice versa, nor do I see how a nuclear reaction could break a bond within a hadron. The strong force is far too powerful.

Quite honestly, if you believe in spontaneous combustion, you're an idiot. There's nice nice way to put it.

Learn to have fun.

If being a moron is your idea of fun then you are not very classy my friend.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

As a refresher, the whole nuke thing is just a chain reaction started by launching a neutron into a Uranium 235 atom (rare, like 1% of Uranium is this iso), which splits and releases three neutrons, which split more and etc etc...

It should be, theoretically, possible with all elements as well, save hydrogen.
hopesolopatriot.jpg

Isn't methane flammable? Still, I can't think of a source of ignition for that.

I suppose you could eat a whole lot of beans to produce the methane gas, then eat some flaming hot chili peppers and hope it doesn't digest properly.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

I did a big project on this when I was younger and supposedly there's different types of it, and I actually think one of them happened to me when I was in grade 6. I remember sitting in class once and then some random smoke just like floated up from me. It freaked me out though, because I had no idea where it came from, still don't. So my only explanation for it, is that is was the one kind of SHC. ::'

Spontaneous fission is only theoretically possible with elements of atomic mass 100 u or greater, and only energetically feasible for atomic masses above 230 u.

So only Iodine even has the physical possibility of spontaneously blowing up, and it's only a fraction of a fraction of one percent of the human body by mass, on the order of micrograms. Even with that small amount, the amount of energy required for total fission to happen is absurd. In fact, if you could actually get enough energy to fissure enough Iodine to actually kill a person, the energy used to initiate the fission would probably kill the person first.

So no.

And on a side note, I found where Iodine is found: the thyroid and parathyroid glands.

[if you have ever attempted Alchemy by clapping your hands or

by drawing an array, copy and paste this into your signature.]

Fullmetal Alchemist, you will be missed. A great ending to a great series.

Discovery channel says no.

Discovery channel doesn't lie.

Though my friend said it might be possible if your nerve signals jump bad or whatever (what's the disease where you have no myelin sheath?) and ignites the gasses in your body.

Loads of nerves don't have myeline sheaths, especially in the brain. Nerves work by a different amount of Na+ and K+ outside and inside of the nerve. When a signal arrives, gates open and the Na+ and K+ ions will mix. This change will activate other gats, etc till you reach the end of the line.

It definately doesn't spark :roll:

Splitting atoms with a mass below Lead actually costs energy :P To keep a nuclear reaction going, at least one of the neutrons has to hit another Uranium atom. With all the mass in your body, (if Uranium is even present there), any neutrons will be caught by other atoms( especially nitrogen, oxygen and hydrogen). That is also why you need to purify uranium for nuclear uses. If you don't, the Uranium-238 atoms will just absorb all the neutrons and your reaction will die out immediately.