Looking at people buying their XP sorta makes me wanna cry..

dannyb103

Note: I am not claiming that every XP that I have on my account is DIY, and that I haven't bought/sold raw goods for XP or cash. I am simply saying that people could have higher resource skills AND their secondary skills if they played the game how it was originally meant to be played.

The point behind MMORPGs is that you can take your own path and play any way you wanna play.

Amen! I like doing my stuff DIY, and that's my choice. :) And it'll be everyone elses choice in how they want to do things. Secondary skills may have lost all profit, but they're still fun. :D

Blakdragon39.png

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd think it died when people gave absolute efficiency and e-manhood pride over playing the game, personally.
Was that in the second or third week of RuneScape's existence?

I feel obligated to train my skills if I'm on RuneScape, so I get my level as quickly as possible and go run off to find some friends. Efficiency allows you to "play the game," perhaps even more so than when DIY-ing.

Nowadays the community looks down on fletching because it's fast and at best you make a small profit. Nobody gets it for any other reason than a skillcape.
I got 99 Fletching because I love standing in banks for long periods of time. You make lots of friends.

The oldest RuneScape I know is 2005. After reading the complaints of many "loyal veterans", what I gathered was the one thing wrong in the game today, or even before the GE was that people didn't do things simply for skillcapes and money. I can't confirm this, however.
There were no skillcapes to show off your levels, so people couldn't aim for those. To say that players "back in the day" didn't give money a thought is ridiculous.

I love to meet people; send me a pm if you see me on RuneScape! :)

I don't enjoy training that much, in any form. I do enjoy boss hunting, PVP, clan events, and various other activities that require skills. So I'm going to train my skills as quickly and efficiently as possible so I can do what I enjoy. So please stop telling me how and why I should stop training quickly.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Z0MG TINGS R CHANG1NG!!!1!11 AMG PE0PLE RN'T PLAY1NG THE GAME H0W i WANT THEM TWO!!!!11!1!!!!@@2@

A summary of your rant.

Really, just let people play the game their own way, down frown upon them just because you play a different way. And DIY is just a glorified waste of time.

When you go feather dragon god, you never go back.

Z0MG TINGS R CHANG1NG!!!1!11 AMG PE0PLE RN'T PLAY1NG THE GAME H0W i WANT THEM TWO!!!!11!1!!!!@@2@

A summary of your rant.

Really, just let people play the game their own way, down frown upon them just because you play a different way. And DIY is just a glorified waste of time.

True. Its just your personal preference. I'm not too rich because I'm f2p so I rarely train "effectively" by mass-buying raw materials, but I just gather the stuff myself. But its just my opinion.

It's pretty easy to figure out why people just buy the raw materials: Because gathering all of them yourself to get your gathering skill to 99, and then making all of that into a finished product to get one of your manufacturing skills 99, takes more time than it would take to simply use a faster moneymaking method, and then powertrain your manufacturing skill, and powertrain the gathering skill. It's about efficiency.

Of course efficiency isn't everything, but personally I don't find the gathering skills to be all that fun, especially if we're talking about mining. True some of the manufacturing skills aren't all that fun either, but at least the exp rates can be raised significantly by putting money into it that I got from my favorite moneymaking method. And that's the point I think - if you DIY train, you have no choice but to use the gathering skills which you may find extremely boring. But if you buy all of your materials, you can use any moneymaking method you want. Runecrafting, boss hunting, merchanting, pking... ect, some of which people actually enjoy.

I used to do everything DIY, *shudder*. Mining tin and copper, smithing bronze...ugh. The time I could have saved power mining iron then buying the materials for smithing...

100% F2P

Bonesaw342.png

234fcb4520.png

Bonesaw342.png

Bonesaw342.png

99 Defense, Tuesday February 10th 2009

99 Attack, Tuesday May 26th 200962,189th to get it

A summary of your rant.

:?

Say I want 99 Wc and Fletching. I could chop enough yews for 99 Fletching and get 99 Wc at the same time. I would be getting about 20k Wc xp/hour (probably even less) and a couple of hundred Yew logs. Then I could cut unstrung bows and string them (assuming I buy the strings at the GE). I would get normal Fletching xp/hr but awful Wc xp/hr. I would also make very little money per hour.

Now, I hate woodcutting and don't want to spend a lot of time leveling it. I just buy the materials for 99 Fletching because I love to fletch. I spend a couple of days doing GWD, something I enjoy and I have enough cash for 99 Fletching. I saved a lot of time doing that and I enjoyed myself. If I want to trim my Fletching cape with woodcutting I can powercut teaks and get more than 70k xp/hr.

Combat is just more fun and a lot more profitable than skilling.

Retired

2146 overall - 136 combat - 6 skillcapes

Plus I think the whole teenage girl thing will end soon (hopefully), because my girlfriend is absolutely in love with him(she is 18), and im beginning to feel threatened by his [Justin Bieber] dashing looks.

Using fish caught from fishing to level cooking is the exact same thing as catching all the fish, selling them, and then buying the same fish back at a later date when you want to level cooking.. just more convenient! :thumbsup: DIY makes no sense :wall:

algw9.png

i can see what you are saying but it is up to the player what they do with their materials, or money thats the beauty of the game. though i felt so much more accomplishment getting to 99 magic using my own crafted runes than if id bought them and it cost a hell of a lot less : )

matyre1.png

So because I pay 8 gp per 1 construction exp, and, by doing so, support the woodcutters and plank runners (low levels), Armored Zombie trainers, the magic trainers (Plank make), I am ruining the game?

Picture2-10.png

So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

But mathematically, DIY training is often not the best option.

I powermined to 85. So shoot, me, but instead of making 8m on iron ore in 100 extra hours, I made that back in like 30.

Perhaps Jagex has made it too easy to rapidly buy and level up skills, but honestly, they also created the problem originally: who has the time to kill an untold number of dragons to get 99 prayer? Or to but tens of thousands of magic or yew ogs for 99 fletching?

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

Why I dont DIY. We only live once and I dont want to tell my friends I can't chill because I have to fish and cook everything today. To those who say do it in moderation, I again, state that I only live once. I'd rather efficiently get a 99 then spend 7+ years doing a skill because it'll make me feel good. I have life for that.

It all comes down to time. if you "playing" Runescape then you want to be efficient. If you log on each day for 1-2 hours mine coal and mithril and then leave in the middle for soccer practice then theres much better things to do than worry about RS.

but.. this is all opinion. I grew up grinding for materia exp on orange balls in FF7, guess that makes me a bad guy.

Rox_Sabre.png

env_ragnarok.png

Where did the old Runescape go? When everything was not all about money to buy skills. When prayer wasn't trained by buying bones for 2k each then running to Guilded Alters with your war tortoise for weeks (or bull ant... or terrorbird).

Yeah, well figure out how long it would take to get all the bones yourself. Plus you'd need the combat levels, money for armor and weapons and food and potions, and a ton more time. Maybe a year if you collected everything efficiently and quickly?

Other than herblore and farming, I mostly DIY train. (With acception to my 56 construction which I speed trained because I thought I could be one of the first to 99.. then realized how expensive it would be... :oops: )

Okay, that's fine.

I know this rant is sort of falsified by the logical opinion of "people have every right to do what they want, it's just a game", but it sort of reflects the world of greed we live in.

True, but you could just get the materials they are buying and sell to them at higher than market price. Make some good money off their greed.

Runescape is and will always be a peaceful place where I can just mine 1k iron ore and 2k coal, make 200 steel bodies and alch without having to worry about greedy merchants at the G.E.

People merchant steel plates? :shock:

It also upsets me when I see untrimmed fishing, mining, and WC capes. Not just because they're selling their goods for pure/instant profit, but because they could have manufactured ALL that stuff collected and gotten another skill to 99.

I'm going for 99 woodcutting right now. Even with the fastest method at 71 wcing right now (teaks), it's going to take me AT LEAST two months, very likely more. My two months of time could be used to train herblore from 29 to 50, but I really don't want to, as well as herblore being useless anyway.

People do not realize the logic behind how easy Jagex made it to level up manufacturing skills. The reason why the XP ratios are so higher is not to make them buyable, that was not their intention, I'm sure! But instead, it gives people the freedom to level up in both skills, and have the choice to sell some of their extra raw goods if they wish.

Or you could not care and make five times the money.

Note: I am not claiming that every XP that I have on my account is DIY, and that I haven't bought/sold raw goods for XP or cash. I am simply saying that people could have higher resource skills AND their secondary skills if they played the game how it was originally meant to be played.

Or we could have a bunch of cash to look good and get some good gear for combat and GWD trips. Everything you can make with herblore can be bought, easily and quickly (unless the thing is useless, like normal attack potions :roll: ).

edit: Not to mention that for example... if you fished/cooked. You'd lose some of the potential profit, but you're still making pure profit anyways. And mining is better than wasting half of your investment in gold ore (since gold bars are like half the price of gold ores or something rediculous as that). What has cooking ever gotten us? We could just fish the fish raw, sell them, and buy cooked. And make profit from when you didn't cook the fish in the first place.

PM me for fitocracy invite

edit: Not to mention that for example... if you fished/cooked. You'd lose some of the potential profit, but you're still making pure profit anyways. And mining is better than wasting half of your investment in gold ore (since gold bars are like half the price of gold ores or something rediculous as that)

Do you realize that you're making the profit from mining and losing with smithing? The source of the raw items does not affect the loss from the secondary skill. You can hunt or runecraft for the ores too.

You can mine about 250 coal per hour at the mining guild. That's about 45k/hour. Hunting red chins makes about 250k/hour so you will get about 1400 coal in a hour. That's why DIY is stupid.

If you want to DIY because of the challenge, that's OK, but wouldn't it be a better challenge if you made money at the Karamja banana farm and bought the raw items with that money?

Honestly, I don't think anyone would stand through playing this game if they had to do everything themselves.

When I was training Summoning, I burned my money for the secondaries at higher levels, because it was easier than going out and fishing alot of sharks for Bunyip pouches. Which were then in turn used to help with Slayer.

However, I'll admit to some DIY. I used to fish 1k Monkfish for food, because I'd burn some and it would then mean some wasted money. Sure, I could have bought the fish when I did cook, but it was a better use of my time to fish 1k Monkfish, sell then buy 1k cooked. Why did I skip the cooking step? Profit.

Why do we then choose to "buy" our experience? Profit. The time gathering the materials could be better used to make more money than we would have if we had gathered our materials.

Or perhaps we "buy" it because we hate training the gathering skill.

swordfinalqr7.jpg

Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

• 2 months later...

For you, it may be more fun and 'peaceful' to do everything yourself, something to be proud of.

But for some of us, we care more for the efficiency, speed, and levels.

In the end, it's the same thing: a level in a skill and self-satisfaction. It's all about yourself, really. Each to their own.

Say you have 99 smithing, noone is going to care whether you mined all the ores yourself, or bought the bars.

I feel that, DIY is, as Makoto_the_Phoenix said, an overglorified waste of time.

Suak.png

runes.jpg

Money-2.jpg

Choosing to buy your xp or DIY is your own choice. If you want to waste your time, go ahead. If you want to buy your xp, no one gives a [bleep].

So just do what you want.

Must resist temptation to say [/thread]

I don't get why people thing DIY is more fun than being efficient. DIY makes me feel like I'm wasting my time.

DIY is wasting time.

Wasting time can be fun for some people. You play RuneScape to waste time, don't you? It all comes down to opinion.

DIY takes longer, but i do get some satisfaction from knowing that i did cut those yews, i did get those flax and bowstrings, and it didn't cost me anything.

Yeah. You get a sense of accomplishment or something.

I also get a sense of accomplishment from buying those yew logs and those bowstrings, fletching, selling them and profiting, and laughing at the people who are just halfway through getting their materials.

Buying skills gives me time to do things that are actually fun, like PvP, minigames, boss-hunting, and just hanging with friends. (Although, I am a MMORPG junkie and watching my stats and rank climb is fun too).

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3