Looking at people buying their XP sorta makes me wanna cry..

dannyb103

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DIY takes longer, but i do get some satisfaction from knowing that i did cut those yews, i did get those flax and bowstrings, and it didn't cost me anything.

Yeah. You get a sense of accomplishment or something.

I also get a sense of accomplishment from buying those yew logs and those bowstrings, fletching, selling them and profiting, and laughing at the people who are just halfway through getting their materials.

Buying skills gives me time to do things that are actually fun, like PvP, minigames, boss-hunting, and just hanging with friends. (Although, I am a MMORPG junkie and watching my stats and rank climb is fun too).

Honestly there's no need to criticise people who like gathering their own materials. Its fun to them, but it might not be fun to you.

DIY takes longer, but i do get some satisfaction from knowing that i did cut those yews, i did get those flax and bowstrings, and it didn't cost me anything.

Yes, but buying materials = wasted money, less money for pvp =(.

DIY costs as much as buying the items. You could just sell the items and use them for PVP. By using DIYed items for training secondary skills you are reducing their value and therefore losing money.

It is a pure illusion that DIY doesn't cost anything.

Honestly there's no need to criticise people who like gathering their own materials. Its fun to them, but it might not be fun to you.

I'm not criticizing them at all. I've just come to prefer to buy my own materials instead of gathering them.

I used to be the complete opposite when I was still an F2P. I mined over 100k rune essence that I made into earths, I mined about 10k mithril and 40k coal and smithed them, and I would WC and FM at the same time. I also fished and cooked all my own food for combat.

1ekn0o.jpg

Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

Yea, I'm better off going to GOP, getting 200k, buying bars, and leveling smithing than going off and mining the ores myself, but on the other hand i get more mining XP this way :P, so DIY does make you end up getting more XP.

Though if your concentrating on leveling one skill, your almost always better off just buying the stuff on the GE.

O.O

Basically everything all of the posters have been debating about can be summed up with one sentence: Its based on your own opinion.

It is a fact that DIYers get less experience and money in the same amount of time than non-DIYers. Whether it is fun or not is your own opinion.

i buy my exp because i can afford it. your excuse?

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

The way I look at 'buying' experience is unless your a merchant you had to train skills or commit game hours to earn the gold to pay for supplies. Lets say that you earn 1m an hour and 99 herblore costs 100m, it takes 100 hours to get the supplies before you even start training the skills. If we assume it takes 40 hours to level herblore to 99 once you obtain all supplies then you are losing 140 game hours getting herblore to 99. In that time you could get over 10m woodcutting experience powercutting teaks. So are you really buying the skill?

Post Note: DIY-ing isn't faster than powerleveling because you get all supplies on your own, not just the ones that lie outside your max gp/hr ratio.

jijilentosmi.png

jijilentosmi.png

jijilentosmi.png

if they played the game how it was originally meant to be played

I just do what I want. If I feel like going out and collecting materials, I will. If I don't, then I buy them. If I get bored, I do something else. I just do what I want, when I want, and how I want. And I give everyone else that same right.

There is no one correct way to play the game. The game was meant to be played for fun; your way. So play the way you want, and let others play the way they want. If people want to buy exp then let them. How does it affect you in even the slightest way?

It also upsets me when I see untrimmed fishing, mining, and WC capes. Not just because they're selling their goods for pure/instant profit, but because they could have manufactured ALL that stuff collected and gotten another skill to 99.

Maybe instead of getting a 99 they don't want, they used the money to do something they enjoy? There is more to the game than just getting 99s. Again, it comes back to what people think is fun, and there is no dispute that a game is supposed to be fun, not a chore.

10_joelmike2.jpg

I am simply saying that people could have higher resource skills AND their secondary skills if they played the game how it was originally meant to be played.

Buy-skilling is the way MMORPGs are meant to be played. MMORPG stands for massively multiplayer online role-playing game, not single player.

I am simply saying that people could have higher resource skills AND their secondary skills if they played the game how it was originally meant to be played.

Buy-skilling is the way MMORPGs are meant to be played. MMORPG stands for massively multiplayer online role-playing game, not single player.

Still, everything is down to opinion, as I said earlier.

Honestly, just do what you want. There's no right or wrong answer.

One of the answers saves you time, though.

2dvjurb.png

One of the answers saves you time, though.

So? Honestly, you play games to waste time away, not to be super-efficient masterminds where every millisecond counts.

I don't get why people thing DIY is more fun than being efficient. DIY makes me feel like I'm wasting my time.

DIY is not more efficient or more fun. It's a overglorified waste of time. And I refuse to play in a game where I have to make absolutely everything I need on a daily basis myself.

Kinda had to pick up on both of these.

Some people play the game for fun. Whereas runescape really isnt fun and all it is now is a race to be the best. Which is kinda why I semi-quit again...

I, for one think that secondary skills should get more money than raw material skills. But for no real reason thats not how it is.

Smithing used to be good for money. But then it turned into a drain. Why? Jagex fed the combat players.

You can gain anything from combat so who needs skills?

I dont need a siggy no moar.

I don't get why people thing DIY is more fun than being efficient. DIY makes me feel like I'm wasting my time.

DIY is not more efficient or more fun. It's a overglorified waste of time. And I refuse to play in a game where I have to make absolutely everything I need on a daily basis myself.

Kinda had to pick up on both of these.

Some people play the game for fun. Whereas runescape really isnt fun and all it is now is a race to be the best. Which is kinda why I semi-quit again...

I, for one think that secondary skills should get more money than raw material skills. But for no real reason thats not how it is.

Smithing used to be good for money. But then it turned into a drain. Why? Jagex fed the combat players.

You can gain anything from combat so who needs skills?

Exactly.

We have a choice to spend our money on what we want. I spent a while getting 30m, and I choose to get 99 crafting. I worked for that money, and I deserve to pick what I want to do with it. Some spend it on armour/gs's, other on skills, it matters the person.

2eed07l.png

Tip.It's Official Undercover Agent

Honestly, I'd rather just sell the raw materials I get from Woodcutting/Fishing/Mining and continue to sell them, thus making more profit, then buy other skills that I want with that cash. The problem with DIY is this; you COULD get 99 firemaking off of all the logs you cut for 99 Woodcutting, but what if that person just needed the cash for another 99? Maybe they don't like training firemaking (and I don't blame them :wall:).

Personally, I prefer to just buy all my stuff off of the G.E. and train the skill. Collecting the items I find is just a waste of time. Id rather collect, then sell to make some money, and spend that cash at a later date on something I like (possibly full bandos, a godsword, etc. Which I wouldn't be able to afford whilst training smithing with the ores I mined).

disturbeda.png

Runescape really should be a game where secondaries like Smithing and Herblore dont get money until a certain level, like 60. And from there in it's a definite money maker.

And dont get me started on combat.

A black dragon with 3 heads drops Yew logs sometimes. How does it drop noted yew logs?!

Combat in Runescape just makes up for everything else. 'skills' are just quest requirements. Combat is everything else.

People can choose how to train skills. If they've made the money for 99 Prayer, I'm not going to stop them buying the dragon bones for it. If we had to rely on the primary skills to get the resources (woodcutting, fishing, mining, etc), then go through the secondary skills, this game would be much more tedious and take much longer to achieve the same thing (minus primary skills).

People can choose how to train skills. If they've made the money for 99 Prayer, I'm not going to stop them buying the dragon bones for it. If we had to rely on the primary skills to get the resources (woodcutting, fishing, mining, etc), then go through the secondary skills, this game would be much more tedious and take much longer to achieve the same thing (minus primary skills).

Primary skills can be power trained. Fill the inventory and drop. It's faster than gathering items for secondary skills. If the market was removed, primary skills would become slower too.

Primary skills can be power trained. Fill the inventory and drop. It's faster than gathering items for secondary skills. If the market was removed, primary skills would become slower too.

I'm going to have to say I really believe if there was no G.E, RuneScapes economy would flurish to the extent of smithing being slightly profitable and same with herblore.

But that would depend.

Again, combat gets everything in runescape so skills are unnecessary unless you want to do quests..

The only things combat doesnt give you are:

Some needed pots.

While I believe that we live in a greedy world, I don't think this resembles it at all.

When I Mine, I go to Granite Mine. I drop granite til I have a full inventory, of the 5kg blocks, I tele Castle Wars, bank, tele Enahkra, and go back to Mining. While I COULD use all the 500g blocks I'll have from breaking them down, it's not feasible to use them ALL on Granite Lobsters. When instead I could sell them, and use the money for whatever I want. It's my money, I earned it, and it's my prerogative to spend on whatever I want. Does this mean I'm greedy? No, it means in a sense, I'm resourceful. Same thing for Woodcutting, and Firemaking. If I wanted to get 99 Firemaking on magics, I certainly wouldn't cut all the magics, even if I could. Because in the amount of time it would take for that, I could go to GWD, make some money, and get 99 Firemaking while if I had stuck to Woodcutting I would still be cutting wood. It's not practical.

I have all the 99s, and have been playing since 2001. Comped 4/30/15 

My Araxxi Kills: 459::Araxxi Drops(KC):

Araxxi Hilts: 4x Eye (14/126/149/459), Web - (100) Fang (193)

Araxxi Legs Completed: 5 ---Top (69/206/234/292/361), Middle (163/176/278/343/395), Bottom (135/256/350/359/397)
Boss Pets: Supreme - 848 KC

If you play Xbox One - Add me! GT: Urtehnoes - Currently on a Destiny binge 

• 2 weeks later...