Welcome to Rune Tips, the first ever RuneScape help site. We aim to offer skill guides, quest guides, maps, calculators, informative databases, tips, and much more to help you get the most from the Massive Online Adventure Game, RuneScape, by Jagex Ltd © 2009.

Report Ad

Welcome to Forum.Tip.It
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Looking at people buying their XP sorta makes me wanna cry..

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

Nomrombom
[ Display Name History ]

Nomrombom

Moss Giant Whipper

• Members
  • 2,736 posts
  • RuneScape Status:None
  • RSN:Nomrombom

Where did the old Runescape go? When everything was not all about money to buy skills. When prayer wasn't trained by buying bones for 2k each then running to Guilded Alters with your war tortoise for weeks (or bull ant... or terrorbird).

Yeah, well figure out how long it would take to get all the bones yourself. Plus you'd need the combat levels, money for armor and weapons and food and potions, and a ton more time. Maybe a year if you collected everything efficiently and quickly?

Other than herblore and farming, I mostly DIY train. (With acception to my 56 construction which I speed trained because I thought I could be one of the first to 99.. then realized how expensive it would be... :oops: )

Okay, that's fine.

I know this rant is sort of falsified by the logical opinion of "people have every right to do what they want, it's just a game", but it sort of reflects the world of greed we live in.

True, but you could just get the materials they are buying and sell to them at higher than market price. Make some good money off their greed.

Runescape is and will always be a peaceful place where I can just mine 1k iron ore and 2k coal, make 200 steel bodies and alch without having to worry about greedy merchants at the G.E.

People merchant steel plates? :shock:

It also upsets me when I see untrimmed fishing, mining, and WC capes. Not just because they're selling their goods for pure/instant profit, but because they could have manufactured ALL that stuff collected and gotten another skill to 99.

I'm going for 99 woodcutting right now. Even with the fastest method at 71 wcing right now (teaks), it's going to take me AT LEAST two months, very likely more. My two months of time could be used to train herblore from 29 to 50, but I really don't want to, as well as herblore being useless anyway.

People do not realize the logic behind how easy Jagex made it to level up manufacturing skills. The reason why the XP ratios are so higher is not to make them buyable, that was not their intention, I'm sure! But instead, it gives people the freedom to level up in both skills, and have the choice to sell some of their extra raw goods if they wish.

Or you could not care and make five times the money.

Note: I am not claiming that every XP that I have on my account is DIY, and that I haven't bought/sold raw goods for XP or cash. I am simply saying that people could have higher resource skills AND their secondary skills if they played the game how it was originally meant to be played.

Or we could have a bunch of cash to look good and get some good gear for combat and GWD trips. Everything you can make with herblore can be bought, easily and quickly (unless the thing is useless, like normal attack potions :roll: ).

edit: Not to mention that for example... if you fished/cooked. You'd lose some of the potential profit, but you're still making pure profit anyways. And mining is better than wasting half of your investment in gold ore (since gold bars are like half the price of gold ores or something rediculous as that). What has cooking ever gotten us? We could just fish the fish raw, sell them, and buy cooked. And make profit from when you didn't cook the fish in the first place.

PM me for fitocracy invite

Karvinen
[ Display Name History ]

Karvinen

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,168 posts
  • RuneScape Status:P2P

edit: Not to mention that for example... if you fished/cooked. You'd lose some of the potential profit, but you're still making pure profit anyways. And mining is better than wasting half of your investment in gold ore (since gold bars are like half the price of gold ores or something rediculous as that)

Do you realize that you're making the profit from mining and losing with smithing? The source of the raw items does not affect the loss from the secondary skill. You can hunt or runecraft for the ores too.

You can mine about 250 coal per hour at the mining guild. That's about 45k/hour. Hunting red chins makes about 250k/hour so you will get about 1400 coal in a hour. That's why DIY is stupid.

If you want to DIY because of the challenge, that's OK, but wouldn't it be a better challenge if you made money at the Karamja banana farm and bought the raw items with that money?

Kiriyama
[ Display Name History ]

Kiriyama

Dragon Slayer

• Members
  • 7,073 posts
  • RSN:Kiriyama
Honestly, I don't think anyone would stand through playing this game if they had to do everything themselves.

When I was training Summoning, I burned my money for the secondaries at higher levels, because it was easier than going out and fishing alot of sharks for Bunyip pouches. Which were then in turn used to help with Slayer.

However, I'll admit to some DIY. I used to fish 1k Monkfish for food, because I'd burn some and it would then mean some wasted money. Sure, I could have bought the fish when I did cook, but it was a better use of my time to fish 1k Monkfish, sell then buy 1k cooked. Why did I skip the cooking step? Profit.

Why do we then choose to "buy" our experience? Profit. The time gathering the materials could be better used to make more money than we would have if we had gathered our materials.

Or perhaps we "buy" it because we hate training the gathering skill.
Posted Image
Denizen of Darkness| PSN= sworddude198

qwedloki100
[ Display Name History ]

qwedloki100

Rat Meat

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • RSN:Suak
For you, it may be more fun and 'peaceful' to do everything yourself, something to be proud of.

But for some of us, we care more for the efficiency, speed, and levels.

In the end, it's the same thing: a level in a skill and self-satisfaction. It's all about yourself, really. Each to their own.

Say you have 99 smithing, noone is going to care whether you mined all the ores yourself, or bought the bars.

I feel that, DIY is, as Makoto_the_Phoenix said, an overglorified waste of time.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

quelmotz
[ Display Name History ]

quelmotz

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,659 posts
  • RSN:Quelmotz
  • RSN2:Nil
Choosing to buy your xp or DIY is your own choice. If you want to waste your time, go ahead. If you want to buy your xp, no one gives a [bleep].

So just do what you want.

Must resist temptation to say [/thread]

Death123141
[ Display Name History ]

Death123141

Demon Vanquisher

• Members
  • 2,445 posts

I don't get why people thing DIY is more fun than being efficient. DIY makes me feel like I'm wasting my time.

DIY is wasting time.

quelmotz
[ Display Name History ]

quelmotz

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,659 posts

I don't get why people thing DIY is more fun than being efficient. DIY makes me feel like I'm wasting my time.

DIY is wasting time.

Wasting time can be fun for some people. You play RuneScape to waste time, don't you? It all comes down to opinion.

Sir_Kurity
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Kurity

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,370 posts
  • RSN:Sir Kurity
  • RSN2:Estorrath
DIY takes longer, but i do get some satisfaction from knowing that i did cut those yews, i did get those flax and bowstrings, and it didn't cost me anything.
O.O

quelmotz
[ Display Name History ]

quelmotz

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,659 posts

DIY takes longer, but i do get some satisfaction from knowing that i did cut those yews, i did get those flax and bowstrings, and it didn't cost me anything.

Yeah. You get a sense of accomplishment or something.

Georgelemmons
[ Display Name History ]

Georgelemmons

El Novato

• Members
  • 2,705 posts
  • RSN:superHYTnova

I also get a sense of accomplishment from buying those yew logs and those bowstrings, fletching, selling them and profiting, and laughing at the people who are just halfway through getting their materials.

Buying skills gives me time to do things that are actually fun, like PvP, minigames, boss-hunting, and just hanging with friends. (Although, I am a MMORPG junkie and watching my stats and rank climb is fun too).
Posted Image
Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

Sir_Kurity
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Kurity

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,370 posts
Yes, but buying materials = wasted money, less money for pvp =(.

Anyway, i buy skills most of the time, its faster, and i want that quest requirement asap.
O.O

quelmotz
[ Display Name History ]

quelmotz

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,659 posts

I also get a sense of accomplishment from buying those yew logs and those bowstrings, fletching, selling them and profiting, and laughing at the people who are just halfway through getting their materials.

Buying skills gives me time to do things that are actually fun, like PvP, minigames, boss-hunting, and just hanging with friends. (Although, I am a MMORPG junkie and watching my stats and rank climb is fun too).

Honestly there's no need to criticise people who like gathering their own materials. Its fun to them, but it might not be fun to you.

Karvinen
[ Display Name History ]

Karvinen

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Yes, but buying materials = wasted money, less money for pvp =(.

DIY costs as much as buying the items. You could just sell the items and use them for PVP. By using DIYed items for training secondary skills you are reducing their value and therefore losing money.

It is a pure illusion that DIY doesn't cost anything.

Georgelemmons
[ Display Name History ]

Georgelemmons

El Novato

• Members
  • 2,705 posts
  • RSN:superHYTnova

Honestly there's no need to criticise people who like gathering their own materials. Its fun to them, but it might not be fun to you.

I'm not criticizing them at all. I've just come to prefer to buy my own materials instead of gathering them.

I used to be the complete opposite when I was still an F2P. I mined over 100k rune essence that I made into earths, I mined about 10k mithril and 40k coal and smithed them, and I would WC and FM at the same time. I also fished and cooked all my own food for combat.
Posted Image
Thanks to Uno for the awsome sig <3

Sir_Kurity
[ Display Name History ]

Sir_Kurity

Black Knight Trainer

• Members
  • 3,370 posts
Yea, I'm better off going to GOP, getting 200k, buying bars, and leveling smithing than going off and mining the ores myself, but on the other hand i get more mining XP this way :P, so DIY does make you end up getting more XP.

Though if your concentrating on leveling one skill, your almost always better off just buying the stuff on the GE.
O.O

quelmotz
[ Display Name History ]

quelmotz

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,659 posts
Basically everything all of the posters have been debating about can be summed up with one sentence: Its based on your own opinion.

Karvinen
[ Display Name History ]

Karvinen

Skeleton Shield

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Basically everything all of the posters have been debating about can be summed up with one sentence: Its based on your own opinion.

It is a fact that DIYers get less experience and money in the same amount of time than non-DIYers. Whether it is fun or not is your own opinion.

walka92
[ Display Name History ]

walka92

Hobgoblin Killer

• Members
  • 1,665 posts
  • RSN:walka92
  • Clan:GWDA SnC
i buy my exp because i can afford it. your excuse?

I'm gonna be walking down an alley in varrock, and walka is going to walk up to me in a trench coat and say "psst.. hey man, wanna buy some sara brew"

walka92- retired with 99 in attack, strength, defence, health, magic, ranged, prayer and herblore and 137 combat. some day i may return to claim 138 combat, but alas, that time has not yet come

jijilentosmi
[ Display Name History ]

jijilentosmi

Bear Fur

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • RSN:Jijilentosmi
  • RSN2:the f2p jiji
The way I look at 'buying' experience is unless your a merchant you had to train skills or commit game hours to earn the gold to pay for supplies. Lets say that you earn 1m an hour and 99 herblore costs 100m, it takes 100 hours to get the supplies before you even start training the skills. If we assume it takes 40 hours to level herblore to 99 once you obtain all supplies then you are losing 140 game hours getting herblore to 99. In that time you could get over 10m woodcutting experience powercutting teaks. So are you really buying the skill?

Post Note: DIY-ing isn't faster than powerleveling because you get all supplies on your own, not just the ones that lie outside your max gp/hr ratio.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

TheStandIn
[ Display Name History ]

TheStandIn

Spider Egg

• Members
  • 54 posts

if they played the game how it was originally meant to be played

I just do what I want. If I feel like going out and collecting materials, I will. If I don't, then I buy them. If I get bored, I do something else. I just do what I want, when I want, and how I want. And I give everyone else that same right.

There is no one correct way to play the game. The game was meant to be played for fun; your way. So play the way you want, and let others play the way they want. If people want to buy exp then let them. How does it affect you in even the slightest way?

It also upsets me when I see untrimmed fishing, mining, and WC capes. Not just because they're selling their goods for pure/instant profit, but because they could have manufactured ALL that stuff collected and gotten another skill to 99.

Maybe instead of getting a 99 they don't want, they used the money to do something they enjoy? There is more to the game than just getting 99s. Again, it comes back to what people think is fun, and there is no dispute that a game is supposed to be fun, not a chore.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users