Dangerous computer worm set to attack on April 1st

The Observer

I told you there was hope yet \'

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/30 ... discovery/

Security experts have made a breakthrough in their five-month battle against the Conficker worm, with the discovery that the malware leaves a fingerprint on infected machines that is easy to detect using a variety of off-the-shelf network scanners.

The finding means that, for the first time, administrators around the world have easy-to-use tools to positively identify machines on their networks that are contaminated by the worm.

Most AVs should send out updates in the next day or so. I highly suggest you check for them.

draciontheman.png

"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

I told you there was hope yet \'

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/30 ... discovery/

Security experts have made a breakthrough in their five-month battle against the Conficker worm, with the discovery that the malware leaves a fingerprint on infected machines that is easy to detect using a variety of off-the-shelf network scanners.

The finding means that, for the first time, administrators around the world have easy-to-use tools to positively identify machines on their networks that are contaminated by the worm.

Most AVs should send out updates in the next day or so. I highly suggest you check for them.

Heh, thats good news. Just in time too, eh? :D

Unsurprising that off the shelf scanners work, most "normal" anti viruses couldn't detect it.

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

Do we know what time it's set to attack?... I'd assume something to the effect of 12:00AM GMT, but you never know..

And would it be worth not using the internet tomorrow at all if you're not sure if your computer has it?... We've got a Windows 2000 with tons of important stuff on it... It could have gotten the worm, right?

Do we know what time it's set to attack?... I'd assume something to the effect of 12:00AM GMT, but you never know..

And would it be worth not using the internet tomorrow at all if you're not sure if your computer has it?... We've got a Windows 2000 with tons of important stuff on it... It could have gotten the worm, right?

Unless you plan on never using the internet again it won't work, i just read an article on it, the virus will still take effect if you boot up april 2nd instead of 1st.

And to littleboy on page 1: lighten up, for all you know it could be some mutli-millionare that wrote the program just to have the dancing banana show up on peoples screens, you have no more knowledge of what it will do than my 6 month old nephew does

cool_sig1.jpg

Watch it be set at 1:01AM (which spells out LOL).

EDIT: By the way, if I got my laptop in late January (it has Vista SP1), should I be set? Someone said that SP1 had a patch that prevented the computer from getting the virus.

Last MS updates were downloaded on March 11th on my computer.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

You put a blank CD in your CD writer, and move your things by dragging them from your desktop to the CD in different windows :).

Watch it be set at 1:01AM (which spells out LOL).

EDIT: By the way, if I got my laptop in late January (it has Vista SP1), should I be set? Someone said that SP1 had a patch that prevented the computer from getting the virus.

Last MS updates were downloaded on March 11th on my computer.

Yes, Vista service pack 1 no longer has the exploit the virus was using to get inside your computer.

As of 8:30 am est nothing has happened yet....

polvCwJ.gif

By saying that nothing has happened, the troll is successful.

I was merely stating fact. If you would actually take the time to read the thread you will see I have been warning people about the possible consequences that could be drastic. I'm not going to say something has happened if it hasn't, I've made it aware the whole time that this worm might not actually do anything.

polvCwJ.gif