26th March 2009 - Development Diary

Master_Smither

Yes it was way too short but I am hoping for this to be the dragon pickaxe quest.

Very Probable.

Yes this was disappointing, extremely disappointing. No silly cartoons of Mods working hard or any depth whatsoever, just "Well I'm thinking about a dwarf quest, it's gonna be funny...So Yeah."

I liked the cartoons too but you never know, other DD might have them in the future :)

And there is going to be mooooooore guys. More! It's small because it's not done yet!

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, people, Dev Diaries are exactly what it is, you all seem to think a Dev diary will be a more in depth BTS, it isn't, what theyve given us here was exactly what they said they would, personal 'blog' type thing from a developer. All the whining here is EXACTLY the reason they stopped the BTS, people overestimate eveything and want the world from every update, if you thought this would be a huge long page with in depth details about the update in the enxt year then you were wrong, they gave us a development diary like they said they would, and there is nothing wrong with it.

On the diary, im looking forward to the quest as its by the same guy who did the last goblin quest, which had an excellent storyline, hopefully he can bring the same kind of thing to the dwarf quest.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

A bit on the short side imo, but it won't matter as much if they start pumping out these things every week or so. As long as they come out more often than the last couple of DD's :? .

Due to my epic stats, I have now started WGS (but I still hate spoilers).

sighistorian.jpg

Ugh, people, Dev Diaries are exactly what it is, you all seem to think a Dev diary will be a more in depth BTS, it isn't, what theyve given us here was exactly what they said they would, personal 'blog' type thing from a developer.

Apparently you haven't read any of the development diaries. I suggest you take a look at the Runescape vs rwt, the summoning dev diaries, impetuous impulses diary, etc. If Jagex is going to continue to pump out one dev diary every 4-6 months, they should at least have taken longer than ten minutes to write up, and have more content than "sup, gonna start this content now, brb"

As I've said before, the meaning of the Dev Diaries being a blog thing where devs say what's on their mind is fruitless when Jagex continues to have nothing to say. They'd be better off posting Mod MMG's clan chat logs, he gives out more information in a single day than three months to make a new dev diary.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Ugh, people, Dev Diaries are exactly what it is, you all seem to think a Dev diary will be a more in depth BTS, it isn't, what theyve given us here was exactly what they said they would, personal 'blog' type thing from a developer. All the whining here is EXACTLY the reason they stopped the BTS, people overestimate eveything and want the world from every update, if you thought this would be a huge long page with in depth details about the update in the enxt year then you were wrong, they gave us a development diary like they said they would, and there is nothing wrong with it.

On the diary, im looking forward to the quest as its by the same guy who did the last goblin quest, which had an excellent storyline, hopefully he can bring the same kind of thing to the dwarf quest.

how did it have an excellent storyline? Like I said before, It didn't answer any questions or tie up any loose ends at all. Sure by itself it would have been fine, but as the end of a storyline? No way! I mean, it's like watching a superhero movie and, instead of the obligatory scene where the bad guy spills his guts about what was going on, the good guy just kills him and goes on about his merry way.

Edit: I agree with Omali. The diary should say more than "Hi guys, I'm going to write a new quest =D" To be honest. it's not even in development yet, it's just planned. I think everyone would rather hear a little impersonal info about a few projects that are in the works, than just being told a guy is going to start a quest. I mean, come on we know people are working on quests, they always have quests in the works. I would personally rather hear about how mobilizing armies is progressing, or a get a quick peek into the progress being made on the next grandmaster level quest. Telling us that they're going to start working on a new quest soon doesn't tell us anything. That article could easily have been written in less than 10 minutes. If they want something like this, then they should just give the developers a blog to post in.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

You know what would have made a better Development Diary? Mobilizing Armies. They could discuss the problems they've had, the ideas they've scrapped, and even tell us how close to release it is.

But this... was a steaming pile of dragon excrement. He just told us that he is about to start development on the next Dwarf quest. It took them a MONTH to get this up. Or a month and a half if you go back to when they told us they were scrapping the BTS.

If the CORPORAL beast is this hard, imagine how hard a GENERAL or COLONEL beast would be. a corporal is not even an admirable rank in armies that use that ranking system.

Yeah, it is a pking minigame, so any arguments anybody makes will probably be biased.

The best way this will end :Everybody just says,"I'm not arguing with you anymore, goodbye."

The worst way this will end: I don't really know, psychological warfare? Worldwide thermonuclear war? Pie eating contest?

Exactly! Think about it. Look on blog scape. A blog is not one giant entry explaining everything from start to finish. It is small little posts showing your ongoing progress. The more progress you make, the farther along the blog goes.

People seam to be thinking we only get one blog from one developmental person a month. This is not the case. We are going to get several of these from different people each month telling us how their individual work is progressing.

Don't be so critical and just be patient.

dawnsigblue-3.png

Why do I think that Jagex only listens to the people on the first 3 pages of the topic on this DD on the rsof? "wow great DD" through all 3 pages probably.

It sickens me really.

the first three pages are the suckups, the next 150 are ranters. Then mixed in somewhere are about 10 people who actually have the capacity for intelligent thought.

[hide]

Damnit, I tripped over Magzar's half inflated blow-up doll and hurt myself. I wish he wouldn't leave that thing lying around. -.-

[/hide]

how did it have an excellent storyline? Like I said before, It didn't answer any questions or tie up any loose ends at all. Sure by itself it would have been fine, but as the end of a storyline? No way! I mean, it's like watching a superhero movie and, instead of the obligatory scene where the bad guy spills his guts about what was going on, the good guy just kills him and goes on about his merry way.

Pretty much everybody i know, including me thought it was a great finish. Any omali, you've missed that this isn't going to be a twice per year thing like the past dev diarys, and it also isn't about a massive update like summoning was, they will be much more often and about the smaller updates aswell.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Pretty much everybody i know, including me thought it was a great finish. Any omali, you've missed that this isn't going to be a twice per year thing like the past dev diarys, and it also isn't about a massive update like summoning was, they will be much more often and about the smaller updates aswell.

No, most people agree it was a good quest, and so do I. It was simple, and fun for the degree of difficulty it posed. I don't see how it could possibly be a good end to a series when it doesn't wrap up any of the loose ends involved with that series however.

[hide]

[/hide]

Exactly! Think about it. Look on blog scape. A blog is not one giant entry explaining everything from start to finish. It is small little posts showing your ongoing progress. The more progress you make, the farther along the blog goes.

There's a reason blogscape has maybe four people browsing it at any given time; After the first one, they're incredibly boring. It's usually not read so much because people care about someone else's progress towards max combat, but if they're looking for tips on how the person is going about their work.

People seam to be thinking we only get one blog from one developmental person a month. This is not the case. We are going to get several of these from different people each month telling us how their individual work is progressing.

We think that because it's been two months since the removal of behind the scenes, and in that time only one of the 130 odd Runescape developers has anything to say, and it's "hey guys. Quest. Dwarf. Proceed with speculation, gotta go". As for several per month, I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm still saying; the Behind the Scenes are coming back. They've done this before, they'll do it again.

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

I find it useful he even said that there would lots of these and each one would get updated every couple weeks we still get to hear about something thats monthes away rather than on the month.

Anyways alot of developers are making the Eastern Lands, MA ,The "REAL" 150th quest at the moment.

Well, it's certainly nice to know that when Jagex begins a quest chain they at least have a clear idea as to where they want to take it.

But ehy, now they can have yet another new motto.

JAGEX: We wing it as we go! :wall:

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

I agree, it was short, but he said it was an updated version of the developemnt diaries.

Im just glad he took a little time off of his project to confirm that a new dwarf quest is being made. ::'

I agree, it was short, but he said it was an updated version of the developemnt diaries.

Im just glad he took a little time off of his project to confirm that a new dwarf quest is being made. ::'

Yeah, but that's like buying a brand new '09 Mustang and taking out the engine and putting in the engine from Model T. Updated Mustang! :thumbup:

Its a good thing.

Now we can wait about a week or so till they tell us there next project on EL,MA,or R150

What the hell... This wasn't a development diary... it was a brainfart from a developer. Seriously, how can they call this a development diary? I don't rant much at Jagex, but this is pathetic.

What the hell... This wasn't a development diary... it was a brainfart from a developer. Seriously, how can they call this a development diary? I don't rant much at Jagex, but this is pathetic.

THEY ARE JUST STARTING !!!!!

I know, don't release a "development diary" then. Or just give a short notice or whatever. This is just crap.

I know, don't release a "development diary" then. Or just give a short notice or whatever. This is just crap.

They are going to update it when they finish it a little.

Disappointing all around. The dwarf series is my least favorite out of the quests, and the diary was way too short.

I realize that it's only a portion of the entire diary, but I think they easily could have beefed this one up a bit more

Winters Omen.png

5,693rd to 99 Slayer on 10/08/2009

Wait, you might be on to something here. Following the usual line of how Jagex never gets anything right to begin with...

I got it!

The DD was actually three times as long, but there was a bug cutting out two-thirds of it. As soon as they fix the bug next week we'll have a complete diary. =D>

They are going to update it when they finish it a little.

They should have done that before they released this piece of crap. Now they've tried to make us happy with a dead bird. This is just... nothing. So wait till you have some actual stuff to tell us about.