Should pure ess and rune ess be re-combined as one?

Solidus_77

On the other, the essence has been so intertwined with the economy that removing the essence would cause many people to lose their investments.

by this do you mean grand exchange merchanting investments? This would not be the case, as Jagex would surely announce the change at least a month before it was implemented, meaning that merchanters would have plenty of time to sell off any investments they had made into pure ess.

But in order to keep, well, order in the economy, Jagex would have to resort to temporary communistic actions of the price range (like hard ceiling prices and minimum prices for a set amount of time) which goes against everything that they believe.

Jagex have made plenty of changes in the past without resorting to price range limitations, what makes you think they would do so here? For example, when infinite npc shop stock was introduced, they must have known that prices of runes such as natures, deaths and bloods would be affected. Yet they were happy to let the players and the GE sort it out themselves. I see no great difference between the two.

If the essence was merged straight, surely if you took everyone into account, the winners (F2P essence miners, P2P runecrafters) would far outweigh the losers (P2P essence miners, F2P runecrafters)?

For profits, mining is the job of a f2per, it has nearly no requirements and earns a low but steady income. Runecrafting is the job of a p2per, as all of the runes in demand are p2p craftable. This equilibrium is far less forced than what we have now, and I think it is the right thing to do.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Yes. There aren't any bots nowadays, why shouldn't they remove pure essence?

I'm sure this will benefit a lot of the P2P RCers who craft Nats. :)

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

Essence was never meant to be separated into Regular and Pure versions. It's high time it was switched back the way it was. I don't believe that the game should be sacrificed for economic stability, so any arguments in that direction become irrelevant. People can, have, and will deal.

damoon3hi7.png

• 2 weeks later...

That's just basically giving f2pers expensive ess again. This ess would start at a lower set price, people see this and jump at the opportunity to buy cheap essence, it doesn't buy at mid and people sell at max, the price is raised back to the same Pess price, therefore benefiting nobody but f2pers, and with the amount of bots in f2p... you can expect a crash on pess -.-

The market economically would become unstable, it'll affect rune prices and could affect other things beyond rcing. Ever heard of the butterfly effect...?

Sure, a couple merchanters would whine... but the long term effects should be pretty good. F2P'ers have a decent money making method, Nat prices go down which will make alchers happy, and the Runecrafters won't care about the price because the lowered price in Pure essence.

I would say combine them. Now.

[Summoning guide (AOW)] [Slayer guide] [Melee & Brawl player]

inuyashakent-2.png

More essence means more runecrafters. More runecrafters means more runes. More runes means that runes are worth less. Supply and demand my friends. You'd be making runes worth less.

But the price of ess will decrease as well, so runecrafter's profits won't change much.

Breaking it down, merging the two essences will cause:

-Make F2P ess miners make more profit.

-Alcher's get cheaper nats.

-Runecrafters keep the same amount of profit.

-Only merchanters will lose.

Well, its clear we need a change. Merchanting is taking risks and my merchanting friend, this isn't a good one.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Yes, they should.

Although runes have crashed in price, it's about time we rid ourselves of the last annoyances that the now-gone RWT'ers brought upon us.

There's a very easy way to make sure players keep their same wealth in essence from this.

Immediately change all rune and pure essence in Runescape into a new kind of essence based on a Jagex estimate of the price of the new estimate as well as the current market values for each essence.

For example, say Jagex decided to set a starting market price of 65 each for the merged essence.

Using current market prices of essence:

For each regular rune essence, a player would receive .60 new essence.

For each pure essence, a player would receive 1.78 new essence.

This takes zero effort on the part of players and preserves wealth. The rune market will be jumpy for a while, but it will even out.

2496 Completionist

Should pure ess and rune ess be re-combined as one? Absolutely not. It would cause tremendous economic upheaval, and there would be little to no advantage gained. Because rune prices will fall alongside pure essence prices, there's no guarantee that runecrafting would become any more profitable, and I might add that it's already the most consistently profitable skill in the game, so it would hardly need the boost anyway.

It would also majorly screw over f2p runecrafters, who are now having to pay for essence that's priced to be made into nature runes, not air runes.

Eliminating pure essence would effectively be just another price-fixing attempt by Jagex. That sort of thing has proved unpopular so far; I doubt it will go over well again.

Should pure ess and rune ess be re-combined as one? Absolutely not. It would cause tremendous economic upheaval, and there would be little to no advantage gained. Because rune prices will fall alongside pure essence prices, there's no guarantee that runecrafting would become any more profitable, and I might add that it's already the most consistently profitable skill in the game, so it would hardly need the boost anyway.

It would also majorly screw over f2p runecrafters, who are now having to pay for essence that's priced to be made into nature runes, not air runes.

Eliminating pure essence would effectively be just another price-fixing attempt by Jagex. That sort of thing has proved unpopular so far; I doubt it will go over well again.

I once had this point of view, that Jagex should not screw with the market, but I abandoned it after the granite update. The price of granite (500g) had stabilized to a very acceptable 900-1000 gp each which was consistent with other summoning seconds at similar levels. It also provided a somewhat decent profit to mining, an otherwise boring and slow skill. Suddenly they decided to allow bigger granite chunks to be split up into smaller ones. This effectively made the price of every single size of granite crash. Summoners now used nothing but granite lobster pouches, which in turn crashed the already unstable market on them. Miners now had nothing to entice them to train except already meager profits in coal, mithril, and adamant until runite. This was a very bad decision marketwise but they went ahead and did it, so I think that sets a precedent for this situation.

If everyone is dead set against merging them, then perhaps f2p should be allowed to mine pure essence. A new NPC would be created a decent distance from a bank that would teleport players to a new essence mine. You would still need 30 mining to extract the pure essence. F2P runecrafters and miners would benefit from this. P2P runecrafters and mages would benefit as well. The only problem would be people trying to merchant essence (but like I said they had already set a precedence with granite) and p2p essence miners, but seriously, there are MANY better ways to make money in p2p and the excess time can easily make up for meager mining exp gained.

2496 Completionist

I once had this point of view, that Jagex should not screw with the market, but I abandoned it after the granite update. The price of granite (500g) had stabilized to a very acceptable 900-1000 gp each which was consistent with other summoning seconds at similar levels. It also provided a somewhat decent profit to mining, an otherwise boring and slow skill. Suddenly they decided to allow bigger granite chunks to be split up into smaller ones. This effectively made the price of every single size of granite crash. Summoners now used nothing but granite lobster pouches, which in turn crashed the already unstable market on them. Miners now had nothing to entice them to train except already meager profits in coal, mithril, and adamant until runite. This was a very bad decision marketwise but they went ahead and did it, so I think that sets a precedent for this situation.

If everyone is dead set against merging them, then perhaps f2p should be allowed to mine pure essence. A new NPC would be created a decent distance from a bank that would teleport players to a new essence mine. You would still need 30 mining to extract the pure essence. F2P runecrafters and miners would benefit from this. P2P runecrafters and mages would benefit as well. The only problem would be people trying to merchant essence (but like I said they had already set a precedence with granite) and p2p essence miners, but seriously, there are MANY better ways to make money in p2p and the excess time can easily make up for meager mining exp gained.

The case of granite is certainly a relevant one to bring up; however, it differs from the case of essence in that its primary purpose was not to tamper with the market, but to give a use to what had previously been worthless hunks of granite. It was illogical to begin with that small chunks of granite should be worth something, but large chunks should be worth nothing. The granite update took something that was counterintuitive and changed it to a model that makes more sense.

In contrast, while there is clearly something out of whack with having a 500g granite rock worth more than a 5kg granite rock, there's nothing so awful about requiring higher-level essence for higher-level runes.

I don't have a problem with Jagex messing with the economy, but they shouldn't do it for no reason.

I have to disagree. Who would it possibly cause tremendous upheaval for? Runecrafters? No. Sure, at the beginning, this would probably happen, but people would stop runecrafting completely. Supply and demand would force prices up... there is too much of a demand for Natures, Deaths, Laws, and Bloods for prices to be as low as 200 each rune. Prices will drop probably equivalent to that of the ess price drop after they become stable.

Not sure about F2Pers. However, F2Pers miners will gain, if that counts for anything.

And eliminating Pure essence will be removing an unneeded update, not a simple price fix. Members are in need of a bigger ess supply. Mining pure essence is horrible money, theres simply not enough people doing it.

inuyashakent-2.png

I have to disagree. Who would it possibly cause tremendous upheaval for? Runecrafters? No. Sure, at the beginning, this would probably happen, but people would stop runecrafting completely. Supply and demand would force prices up... there is too much of a demand for Natures, Deaths, Laws, and Bloods for prices to be as low as 200 each rune. Prices will drop probably equivalent to that of the ess price drop after they become stable.

Not sure about F2Pers. However, F2Pers miners will gain, if that counts for anything.

And eliminating Pure essence will be removing an unneeded update, not a simple price fix. Members are in need of a bigger ess supply. Mining pure essence is horrible money, theres simply not enough people doing it.

Well, the biggest upheaval would be mainly for the people with thousands and thousands of ess in their bank already; that is, runecrafters. I say "tremendous economic upheaval" because it will cause drastic and permanent changes in the prices of some of the game's most commonly-traded items.

Lots of people would be negatively affected by such a change and lose a lot of money (I myself would lose the equivalent of an abyssal whip if pure essence dropped 50%), so it's undesirable to cause a disturbance of that scale. It's justifiable in plenty of cases, but I see no advantage gained by this particular change. Sure, maybe it never should have been changed in the first place, but changing it back after so long only compounds the error.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I don't see the problem with the status quo. Why do we need a change at all?

Basically what you're saying is that the economy needs to be tweaked because f2p miners aren't making enough money, mages are paying too much for runes, and runecrafters can't buy enough essence. But none of those are true. Mining is already the most profitable f2p skill. Pure essence is freely available at fairly reasonable prices. And runes...okay, magic is still too expensive to be used regularly in combat, but that problem wouldn't be solved by this change anyway.

Besides, even if there was a problem, merging essence would be a terrible way to solve it. If you want to upgrade f2p mining, it would make more sense to introduce new mining-related stuff. Similarly, if you want to upgrade runecrafting and magic, do it through actual content, rather than blatantly trying to manipulate supply and demand.

Basically what you're saying is that the economy needs to be tweaked because f2p miners aren't making enough money, mages are paying too much for runes, and runecrafters can't buy enough essence. But none of those are true. Mining is already the most profitable f2p skill. Pure essence is freely available at fairly reasonable prices. And runes...okay, magic is still too expensive to be used regularly in combat, but that problem wouldn't be solved by this change anyway.

But how long would all that updates take? And realistically, Jagex wouldn't do that. Combining essence, however, is plausible, and it will benefit people, as you said. Magic being cheaper, F2P having a better money source, and Runecrafters making more money. Those are long term benefits.

inuyashakent-2.png