Why female players are underepresented in RuneScape?

redfish

Hi all,

I have been playing RuneScape for a while.

From my personal experience, I saw that there are very few female players in all types of MMOGs including RuneScape.

I am really curious why?

They really don`t like MMOGs? or they are hiding under male clothes?

Any opinions?

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More males play video games than females. Pretty simple actually.

I'm not saying that women don't play video games at all, in fact I have several good friends online that are females. It's just that females seem to be less interested in video games, computers, etc.

Big_Stingman.png

Because people just flame us......

oh your prob like 500 pounds in real life.

Will you be my gf.

your prob a guy.

etc it gets very annoying thats why i play with my Chat off half the time

39042685.jpg

"We all make choices, but in the end our choices make us."

Get 50 RC - go and play the GOP. You'll find more girls there than anywhere else. Probably because its more skiller focused, and not combat related.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Hmm, to be honest, when I start MMOGing, combat was not my favorite skill. I would rather solve quests and kill NPCs if I really need to.

Then I realized that, no matter I try to be honest and noble, the game rewards killing more. I.e. in order to accumulate more money, you should kill a lot and you should be good at combat skills.

Then I changed my focus. Now, I am spending my time 50% combat related activities and 50% quest related activities.

Happier? I am not sure, Richer? Yes!

Should I blame game developers for creating such game logic?

These demographics aren't just true in RS, but in most MMOGs or any multi-player game out there. Girls just don't normally play MMOGs on the scale that guys do (I'd estimate the ratio of males to females to be somewhere near 12:1), but that of course doesn't mean that they don't play at all.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I don't think we're underrepresented, but we do face a lot of stereotypes and worries that tend to hold us back from telling or showing people we are female.

Here are some things I've experienced as a girl playing RuneScape (misspellings intentional):

#1. "Be my gf plz"

#2. "Ur hawt. Lets go to bed"

#3. "Ur a fat 50yr old man living in ur moms basement"

#4. "Girls on the internet don't exist"

#5. "Girls dont play games"

You get the idea. -.- Most of the time now I stay quiet in game, especially in public chat. With clan chat now in existance, I actually don't mind talking because at least its within a group of people who act reasonably respectable towards me and everyone else, rather than run into a bunch of immature teenagers (meaning yes, I do believe there are mature ones out there) and young adults who think they're all the hot stuff. -.-

Some of the greatest PKers back in the day were females. Some of the greatest clan leaders were females. I don't think we're underrepresented at all. We're just overlooked until we do something drastic it seems.

There are more males playing video games than girls. Whenever I buy a game, the sales assistant would usually refer girly games (death to that Bratz game). I picked up Dead Space and saw the guy beside me staring like "oh you know how to play?"

Skill-based games are dominated by girls, or at least when I play non-combat Stealing Creation, probably 80% of the people playing are girls. Also with the pmod community, I think majority are girls.

vv05c.png

[brought to you by the Cult of the Sacred Crate]

17th to 99 Smithing OSRS

There are many girls that play RS. Half of my friend list is girls now that I think of it. GOP and CW is full of girls, and most of them are extremely high leveled and can probably outsmart any guy player out there.

120dgl.jpg

I will definitely check GOP and CW as it seems everybody agree that there are more girls there.

It has been a while since I actively play RuneScape. I was spending most of my time playing Oblivion and Morrowind, which by the way it would be great to see them online.

Girls pretend to be guys to avoid being circled out.

Guys pretend to be girls to avoid NOT being circled out. My friend pretends to be a girl online. I lol.

if53pv.png

Tough times don't last. Tough people do.