Why female players are underepresented in RuneScape?

redfish

The main reason is a large majority of girls don't like to play rpgs..they don't play video games enough to grind for exp. I only know one girl irl that acctually plays runescape and she is a very low level cause she doesn't spend very much time playing. Most girls I know play little 1 time games with no experience gain like facebook games and stuf like that. But the ratio isn't as bad as people believe because alot of girls I know in game just play as a male avatar to avoid immature guys spamming "Ur not a real gurl!!! show me nude pics!!!" This also does put of some girls from playing video games all together.

Jesus_Statuz.png

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do kids do when it's raining outside?

The bosys play on the xbox while the girls paint their nails.

That's now exactly how it does, perhapas they do something else but the point is the boys bought a console or a computer to play on while the girls bought hair dryers, make up and clothing.

That's the most common thing that happens, so when they grow up nothing much changes.... The console is still there and the girls are still putting on makeup and doing their hair.

Actually, the person who introduced me to RuneScape all those years ago was a female, and I've since known a large number of female gamers in various games and real life. They aren't uncommon.

Even so OP's question still remains. Why isnt the gender balance 50/50?

Because society says men should be all aggressive and competitve, while women shouldn't play games where they might chip their nail polish.

We are only as good as the world allows us to be.

We'll you're an idiot if you play to win and even a bigger idiot if you play Rs to win.

To win what?

And when there's winning there's also loosing.

I never play to be the best because there's always one who's better and who will beat you and who will make you a looser and that person is yourself.

You're going to be so focussed on winning or on trying to be better, you'll try to beat yourself everytime and you will miss the most important point of playing games which is to have fun.

Ofcourse there's a few special cases that find it fun killing tormented demons for 75 hours straight but perhaps this fun has been twisted into addiction.

And it's never good to be addicted to anything.

Today the day you might have noticed an increase of female players.

More female players tend to play games nowadays as it's very common to have acces to a pc and internet and you usually will need a pc every once in a while for schoolwork or something else, 10 years ago almost noone had acces to the internet.

Thus now even girls are "forced' to use a pc every once in a while and it's the human nature to be curious (sp?) so they are interested in what they could do with a PC and it won't be too long before they discover facilities like facebook and other interesting stuff like sites about models and clothing!

Computers aren't what they used to be.

We have to thank the internetz for this.

jupjup.png[~Visit my Slayer Blog~]jup.png

rvedit2.png

Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.~unknown~

Girls tend to do better on harder thinking games like Minesweeper, guys do better with Half Life because we just point and shoots, not much thinking.

Maybe you're taking your sample from an "intellectually unmotivated" group of guys

actually back when i had the OG xbox live and battlefield 2 and halo, i knew some girls who were monsters. i didn't know any of them irl but i could tell the had nerves of steel and steady hands, and if you really think about it, females are less twitchy and impatient than most males.

females may just be underrepresented in Runescape because it's mostly aimed at a younger audience and i don't know too many 13yo or younger girls playing Runescape or video games in general

edit: and what are you talking about, both half lifes were intense your mind had to be sharp playing that

I think I belong to that intellectually unmotivated group, lol, I can't use my brain at all if I don't like the stuff (thought I like Solitaire a lot)

Many shootings games back then weren't so hard, at least for Half Life 1 and Halo (haven't play Half Life 2 and other Halos so can't comment on those). I pretty much just go through levels stock up armors, ammo and shoots everything I see, and of course, saves probably make it less interesting (but both games got good storyline, so that's good).

Back to the topic, I think more female gamers will be more prominent later on as game and technology pushed forward, as we start to shift from our traditional role of boys and girls. In the end, it doesn't really matter female or male, since you just want to deal with a polite and nice person.

a happy Runescaper