Why female players are underepresented in RuneScape?

redfish

Good thing standard heavy armor is mostly concealing, eh?

I've noticed that most of the female folk I've seen congregate at the good fishing spots or perhaps the games room, although it's not particularly hard to find them in any crowded space.

8f14270694.jpg

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are more males playing video games than girls. Whenever I buy a game, the sales assistant would usually refer girly games (death to that Bratz game). I picked up Dead Space and saw the guy beside me staring like "oh you know how to play?"

Skill-based games are dominated by girls, or at least when I play non-combat Stealing Creation, probably 80% of the people playing are girls. Also with the pmod community, I think majority are girls.

lolwut?

Where'd you hear all of that? :|

TETsig.jpeg

YOU! ATTEND TET EVENTS! CLICK HERE!

Oh wow this is an interesting post indeed, the reason why there aren't a lot of girls playing runescape or any other game like this is due to the fact that there subjects more interesting than an online game.

We guys love to play games where we (or our character) are/is bashing stuff and mousters, we feel the need to have some action in our lives, we like to set goals and archieve them, we have a competition spirit and a fascinating curiousity or atracction for medieval things, the typical avatar of a mighty warrior wearing full suit of shining steel with a long sword stepping on foe's corpses at the top of a hill or something like that is just awesome for us.

On the other hand (most of) girls dont find this amazing, cool or attractive, there some social rules that have come up lately about "gaming", I will talk about this later. Girls are more interested in other stuff. For example...a very classic topic: shopping, want another one? make-up. Also are more focused in social and real life concepts. You guys should knew it already

Most of female gamers get "attached" to games because they gain lots of friends, oh oh and i love this part...games take out the "hormone" section of having a male friend, so she doesnt have to deal with that type of stuff and she can have all the benefits of having a man next to her, a casual sex-related conversation might come up eventually but thats it, period.

Female gamers are more like attract to the game's community, you have a higher chance to see a girl reading and posting on forum and joining a clan than watching one passing by next to you on the game.

OK now lets talk about the "social rules" i just mention a bit ago, i hate society for making life harder than it is but there goes the stereotype...a gamer is a guy with glasses which is fat and lots of hours infront of the PC/TV playing a videogame. That aint attractive, there are also other characteristics we can assume based on this definition: low developed social skills, shyness, few real life friends, low developed physical skills, and more. This make girls flee from games! seriously people, gamers have a bad look =/ , but still....

the main reason is because they got better things to do.

Oh wow this is an interesting post indeed, the reason why there aren't a lot of girls playing World of Warcraft or any other game like this is due to the fact that there subjects more interesting than an online game.

We guys love to play games where we (or our character) are/is bashing stuff and mousters, we feel the need to have some action in our lives, we like to set goals and archieve them, we have a competition spirit and a fascinating curiousity or atracction for medieval things, the typical avatar of a mighty warrior wearing full suit of shining steel with a long sword stepping on foe's corpses at the top of a hill or something like that is just awesome for us.

On the other hand (most of) girls dont find this amazing, cool or attractive, there some social rules that have come up lately about "gaming", I will talk about this later. Girls are more interested in other stuff. For example...a very classic topic: shopping, want another one? make-up. Also are more focused in social and real life concepts. You guys should knew it already

Most of female gamers get "attached" to games because they gain lots of friends, oh oh and i love this part...games take out the "hormone" section of having a male friend, so she doesnt have to deal with that type of stuff and she can have all the benefits of having a man next to her, a casual sex-related conversation might come up eventually but thats it, period.

Female gamers are more like attract to the game's community, you have a higher chance to see a girl reading and posting on forum and joining a clan than watching one passing by next to you on the game.

OK now lets talk about the "social rules" i just mention a bit ago, i hate society for making life harder than it is but there goes the stereotype...a gamer is a guy with glasses which is fat and lots of hours infront of the PC/TV playing a videogame. That aint attractive, there are also other characteristics we can assume based on this definition: low developed social skills, shyness, few real life friends, low developed physical skills, and more. This make girls flee from games! seriously people, gamers have a bad look =/ , but still....

the main reason is because they got better things to do.

I don't know if all of this is true...I can have casual sex-related conversations with my girl friends in real life, depending on what you mean by sex related...

Balatocadrus.png

I guess playing games like runescape is more appealing to guys than girls. But you also need to consider that not all guys play as guys, and not all girls play as girls. I wonder if it roughly cancells out? Anyways, Jagex has stated they belive that about 15% of runescape players are girls (3 of 20), so we can assume there a considerable minority. Just the way life works I guess.

...games take out the "hormone" section of having a male friend, so she doesnt have to deal with that type of stuff and she can have all the benefits of having a man next to her, a casual sex-related conversation might come up eventually but thats it, period...

... Really? So, hormones don't affect our social encounters on the internet? Huh, I guess that would explain why at least 2 of my male scaper-friends have asked to pursue romantic relations with me, because their hormones.. magically vanish into nothingness the moment they lay eyes on the computer screen? Oh, wait a minute.. maybe you were wrong, after all.

All in all, this is what I have to say.

1) Girls don't play MMORPGs because of the social atmosphere we are subjected to ("you're a guy irl, you're probably 450 lbs irl, you're a gold digger" or "will you be my gf?", etc.) after a while it kinda wears you down, you almost don't feel welcome.

I liken this feeling to that of when you're 7 years old and playing outside, thoroughly enjoying your time until you come across a treehouse, but, naturally, you don't feel welcome because your fellow juveniles have posted a big fat "no girls allowed" sign out in front of it. It's disheartening and definitely makes you think twice about playing outside for a day or two.

2) Although I hate to say the stereotype about only males thoroughly enjoying the combat aspect of MMORPGs, there is a sliver of truth to that. I've played about 4 years now, and my combat level is 108. It just never really appealed to me, I'd much rather be doing a quest where I'm uncovering interesting storylines or doing a skill and chatting than I would killing the Dagganoth Kings or playing Castle Wars.

At the end of the day, we have to respect that male and female alike enjoy and have the right to enjoy a game. There is no gender requirement for participating in anything relating to the internet.

and these children that you spit on as they try to change

their worlds, they are immune to your consultations;

they're quite aware of what they're going through.

- david bowie

:wall: Why should girls have special reasons for playing RS that are different from the reasons why boys play? And why should girls defend themselves for gaming? What's this about being attracted to "pretty scenery" and "make-up"? STEREOTYPING ALERT. There are a lot of female players, who are all different, and by the way, the higher you go in the highscores, the more equality there seems to be between the number of male/female players.

Faitality is right... You need to have some attitude as a girl to be a gamer, especially when you're still a kid/teenager, when it's so important to behave along to the expectations of your gender. There are several stages a female player has to go through: disbelief; mocking; being considered asexual, fat and hopeless or a tomboy; and when they've seen your picture, being considered the ultimate girlfriend. Also, if a girl games, she's supposed to be really bad at it. The gaming (and broader: (computer) technology) community is one of the most sexist and male chauvinist ones I've encountered so far.

Girls are more interested in other stuff. For example...a very classic topic: shopping, want another one? make-up.

This sounds exactly like a conversation I had in RS.

Annoying Noob: Are you a girl irl?

Meili: Yes.

Annoying Noob: You're lying.

Meili: Why?

Annoying Noob: A real girl wouldn't play RS. They only like to go out for meals.

*places Annoying Noob on ignore*

Yeah, women only shop, put on make-up, date and do other girly stuff. You aren't a "real" girl if you do anything more than that. *rolls eyes*

This is exactly the sort of immature thing that pisses off us real women.

How many girls do you know who played Dungeons and Dragons?

I would.

I think it's just more... 'normal' for a male to play games like Runescape than girls. I don't think it's right that it's the view, but you usually need to be a bit more different to other girls to really get into Runescape or gaming in general if you're a girl. I'm not saying all girl Runescapers are weirdos, because we're not (I am :P), but in general it's just more... 'normal' for a boy to play than a girl.

umilambdaberncgsig.jpg

I edit for the [Tip.It Times]. I rarely write in [My Blog]. I am an [Ex-Moderator].

Wait a second! Girls are on the internet???

OES JEZUZ!

Anyway, I think girls who play "manly" things or "nerdy" things are usually underrepresented. If a girl played Dungeons and Dragons, do you think any geek would want to play with her? No, they would probably freak out and be like "Oh jeez, a girl does something we like...quit sweating Arnie, you can play with her..."

There will always be something not considered right for a woman to do. There have always been girls who play RPGs and video games, but they get looked down upon because "it's not girly enough". Which is funny, because I have always found video games and RPG's a medium. It's not girly and does not involve episodes of Winx Club or Barbie Dolls. It's not manly, it doesn't involve lifting weights and then seeing who has the bigger abs. It is just a medium that everyone can play at.

I don't know if that made sense, but if it didn't, then there was no point ot writing this!

hatsune-miku-wallpaper-49-1.jpg

I could write a novel trying to agrue with some of these posts.

Why female players are under represented in Runescape?

Because of idiotic guys who think we rather go shopping and play with barbie dolls.

Because of testostrone (sp?) filled guys who can't find a girlfriend IRL so resort to Runescape.

Because of guys who think we like playing video games for "pretty scenery" and such.

God you guys are freakin' idiots.

I'm sorry, but I'm sure I'm not the only female who feels this way.

I play Runescape to attempt (a very bad, pathetic failing attempt, but an attmept nonetheless) to be one of the best, or to at least beat my friends who are a bit higher leveled than I am.

I don't play Runescape to do Quests, I don't play Runescape to get pretty clothing and I sure as hell don't play Runescape to look at pretty scenery... NOTHING in Runescape is pretty, in my opinion.

I don't think guys should be posting in this thread.. I don't care if you have played as a female character. You still aren't a girl- you laugh when you get asked out on RS or you laugh when some [wagon] comments on you.

You don't know what goes through a girls mind- so shut up about why we don't play video games more.

They simply find other things more interesting. I'm not a girl myself so I don't really know what these things are, but I know that at least what I wrote in my first sentence is true.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

Rule 16. of the rules of the internet

16. There are NO girls on the internet.

Source: (and all the other 99 rules): http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... e+internet

2egffxf.png

[hide]

Felix, je moeder.

Je moeder felix

Je vader, felix.

Felix, je oma.

Felix, je ongelofelijk gave pwnaze avatar B)

Felix, je moeder.

[/hide]

Im sure this post was at least *partially* directed towards me...

I have to say im not an idiotic egotistic sexist guy.

I have a girlfriend and when i do play runescape its because its a hobby not my life.

Also when i said pretty scenery that was completely based on what other girls said. I didnt come up with that because im a testosterone filled sexist, but completly out of what ive heard from other gamers.

I play to be the best too, and i fail at my attempt at that completely as well. I know plenty of girls who do that too... I know plenty of girls who can kick my [wagon] in pvp or in any games. I also know there are plenty of idiots out there who want 'a hawwt internetzz gf' but im not one of them. So dont generalize on all guys

Also im sure ive talked to more girls then you have *yes i know you are one* about why they play video games, so i could say i do know to some degree what goes through *some* girls minds and why *some* girls play.

Actually, it wasn't.. It was aimed at other posters.

And congrats, you found my point in my post- "don't generalize".

And you probably have talked to more girls, as most girls are "doing quests/insert other nonCB activity" or "looking at pretty scenery" while I'm.. not.

I disagree that females stay away from RS or other games because of the male environment..

Make a game where heroes have no gender and the majority would still be males.

Like I said, males dominate all computer games except for tetris.. 8-)