What is off topic coming to?

Joes_So_Cool

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After a certain point, the "good" or "interesting" topics will come to an end, and there are only so many topics that are really worth discussing. There's a reason why there aren't as many thought-provoking threads anymore: because all of the thought-provoking subjects have already been chewed over a million times. If you want to see new and exciting threads, create one yourself. Can't think of one? Well now you know why there aren't that many anymore. It's HARD to think of a thought-provoking discussion that hasn't already been discussed.

These are questions that have been debated over for hundreds if not thousands of years. This isn't about to end anytime soon.

In my opinion, part of the problem lies in the expectation of objective evidence in almost every Off-Topic debate. Even if we all have vastly different ideologies and beliefs, our responses tend to all be similar in that they provide the same empirically-based arguments. It's rare to see a discussion here on the moral or subjective grounds of a topic. This limitation is, in my opinion, what creates the occasional "discussion droughts" in Off-Topic.

And, with the above in mind, most Off-Topic debates (if not online debates in general) are spurred by ignorant posts that can be easily rebutted with a few citations. When these posters are stumped for a response, or are simply shunned by a series of insulting attacks, the debates tend to die down. Some of these posters take it personally, and avoid expressing their opinions out of fear of being "flamed."

Some discussion-worthy topics that haven't been covered much, if at all...

- The justification of recreational hard drug use (heroin, cocaine) and/or its decriminalization

- Zoosexuality and/or pedophilia as a sexual orientation, i.e. no less of a "choice" than heterosexuality/homosexuality

- The justification of copyright infringement; e.g. "stealing" copyrighted movies and distributing them en-mass

- The prohibition of torture in any situation at all

- Eastern religion

- etc.

I'd be willing to start one of the above if others are interested in debating against my position.

- Zoosexuality and/or pedophilia as a sexual orientation, i.e. no less of a "choice" than heterosexuality/homosexuality

Don't lump those two together... One involves an act that involves taking advantage of innocents who aren't sexually mature and therefore can't provide sound consent. Zoophilia involves two consenting, secually developed adults (albeit not the same species) and when consent is not involved it is treated in the community much the same as rape.'

EDIT: you're welcome to start the topic though, barring paedophilia.

OH S***! He/she/it is back!

One involves an act that involves taking advantage of innocents ...

Medically speaking, homosexuality, zoophilia and even pedophilia are all characterized by an individual's exclusive or preferential sexual attractions rather than the actions they may take to meet these desires.

It's unfortunate that society has come to pervasively view zoophiles and pedophiles as sex offenders. In reality, the vast majority of convicted child-sex offenders do not show an exclusive or preferential attraction to prepubescent children.

I can see a discussion on pedophilia being a bit too mature-themed for Off-Topic, though...

One involves an act that involves taking advantage of innocents ...

Medically speaking, homosexuality, zoophilia and even pedophilia are all characterized by an individual's exclusive or preferential sexual attractions rather than the actions they may take to meet these desires.

I'm not speaking from a medical standpoint, I'm getting at the fact that homosexuality and zoosexuality all involve consent in practice. Paedophilia by nature can't have true consent due to the lack of development of one participating party.

EDIT: ...aaaand there is no [bleep]ing way I want to be categorized with paedos in any way other than the fact that both are abnormal.

OH S***! He/she/it is back!

Nothing changed in reality. You are just older and have been here longer so you see things differently then as a new member.

Excactly, we've been having this same debate since the dawn of time (or at least after about a year after the creation of the first tip.it off topic). We tend to go through cycles because if you don't know somebody personally there is a limit to what you can really talk to each other about. Topics come and go and then come back later and so do users, we just have to get used to it and realise that in the meantime we're changing as people too.

wild_bunch.gif

He who learns must suffer, and, even in our sleep, pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart,

and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.

- Aeschylus (525 BC - 456 BC)

I know this is a fairly direct attack at some news I posted not but a few hours ago, but, c'mon, now, seriously (or not really, for that matter), this is OT. Probably 75% of the posts made here in the end get flamed by someone "THIS HOLDZ NO DISCUSSION POTENTIAL" (even though it truly may) or "Oh my god, this has been posted once before in 2007! Be more original!"

I would like to point this out. This is the only huge thing that I have seen change, and especially from a mod perspective, has become the most annoying thing on Off topic. People need to learn to stay the hell away from that reply to thread button if they aren't gonna post anything relevant. There is NO REASON AT ALL for a person to be posting in a thread to discuss the reason for the thread to exist. Have problem with the post? Don't post at all, or pm the author and have a nice chat with them, or if there is ACTUALLY SOMETHING RULE BREAKING, report the thread.

Unless the thread is something like 'I ate a pop tart today' or something written in 1337 speak/something that dosen't make sense or something else that really has zero potential for a discussion, there is no reason to label it as 'no discussion value here'.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Only thing I noticed is that when a Meme Off-Topic'er posts, the entire thread becomes a joke if the person says a joke.

Don't you know the first rule of MMO's? Anyone higher level than you has no life, and anyone lower than you is a noob.

People in OT eat glass when they are bored.

I wasn't around at the times of old OT. But current one is still going down with too many meme's going on and too much pointless threads. Hell, I think I've never posted a topic here, cause all I want to discuss in is discussed in here.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc

Why is off-topic now filled with threads that are idiotic, annoying, useless, or even all 3 at once?

As much as I appreciate your hands-on example with this bothersome thread, would you please stop tergiversating and post somethign useful yourself?

[English translation needed]

In my opinion, "Off-Topic" lost it's charm when both "Have you caught them?" and "Funny Pictures Thread" were removed.

And that, is the truth.

Fixed.

No, you simpletons. Just no. I'll admit I enjoyed funny pictures, but the caught them was nothing but fake stories by immature idiots hoping to "prove" themselves sexually. For nothing. I still don't see the fun in it; if you want sex stories from these guys, you're either a creep or an idiot.

whalenuke.png

Command the Murderous Chalices! Drink ye harpooners! drink and swear, ye men that man the deathful whaleboat's bow- Death to Moby Dick!

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!

angel2w.gif

These topics crop up a few times every year, and always look back to the 'good old days' when in reality they weren't so great either.

My suggestion would be to do what Lionheart said, try to help create better topics?

sig2ho7.jpg

"Have you caught them" thread was at first, somewhat acceptable funny. Then after a few pages it was just stories on how OT'ers got laid, lied that they got laid, or their sexual fantasies. It was STUPID and USELESS.

Only thing I noticed is that when a Meme Off-Topic'er posts, the entire thread becomes a joke if the person says a joke.

Yes. It pisses me off to no ends when I see a topic get new posts, I click on it, and see a lot of posts got added. I think I'm going to read a continuation of the topic, but in reality it is just repeated hypothetical scenario and what to do about them reworded a different time per post.

People thinking their funny by adding a few repeated, not funny (sometimes /b/ status, especially the "twss" smile when anything sexual is in the picture), unnecessary words to a lame joke said about 6 posts above theirs, and post solely on the purpose to continue that joke rather than the topic discussion.

Stop posting things irrelevant to the thread at hand, and we wouldn't have the "non-serious" clutter in the "serious" thread.

PS. No more god damn "Why so serious?" quotes.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Why is off-topic now filled with threads that are idiotic, annoying, useless, or even all 3 at once? I

Looking back over 7 years of usage, it's hard to ever think of an off topic nirvana that has been complaint free. I do agree that the quality has slipped here recently, while regrettable, I find topics here to keep me entertained. I personally never unstand the need for "shock news" topics with violence etc..no real discussion value

I'm sure it'll get locked within a few hours but oh well.

I'd like to see this stay open, granted i'm on reply 1 of 4 pages as i start replying, it's a very valid topic and it's staying open.

And I blame the mass influx of /b/tards we've had recently. 1 year ago it was NOT like this.

I won't say it's because of an influx , but mostly because the non /B/Tards give the actual /B/Tards way too much attention and probably cause the idiocy to linger longer. Basically because Goddess hit what I was going to say

One method is one I read from Das - While I obviously don't agree with him on many things, this one was very wise of him. Everything is ruled by a critical mass of numbers, so if you don't want to see a topic, simply don't contribute to it. Make posts on the topics you want to be up the front. Eventually the topics you find stupid are going to be the ones down the bottom and then on to the next page.

Although her into to mentioning me - made me LOL .

In my opinion, "Off-Topic" lost it's charm when both "Have you caught them?" and "Funny Pictures Thread" were locked.

Off topic -or the majority of users couldnt really handle it sadly. I have no issues with the thread concepts. However they were always the #1 and #2 reported threads, and 12-14 year olds posting about sex and stuff isn't exactly stuff that can be posted in public, not just for PG - But for legal stuff as well. Also people had to into way too much detail, like they are writing a bloody erotica.

Personally I would like to see less "OT Sheriffs "

Too many people try to sheriff OT. Pointing out how threads suck, or how this was discussed 2-5 years ago with an entirely different subset of users so no point in replying or how this idea blows. Because, if I was looking for mods, I'm not going to look for people who make those posts but people who try to contribute and do so at a reasonable level.

If no one is interested and it does suck, it will fall quicker than the otherside of your pillow loses that cool feeling.

Personally, I think humor and seriousness need to be balanced - they are not and I dont think most people think they can co-exist.

Ideally the second problem I have with OT is cliques, always has happened, always will i fear, but too many people have little circles and it puts off the users.

The future of OT largely lies in OT's hands.

The users have the true power in deciding what threads are "win" and worth posting on and what should be "Fail" and not posting on those. As far as rules, I think they are fair. If you think those suck, Voice your views, and i'll certainly consider reviewing removing/adding rules with the admin team.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

heh, I keep in touch with half of them on msn and cant stand the rest.

"Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."

Abraham Lincoln

some did seem like that yes.

I'll see if i can prod hannibal into posting some more.

Abraham Lincoln

Circles will always happen on forums though, people who have been there longer are going to have their friends and people who enjoy reading each others posts etc As a newbie on a forum you're going to struggle finding your feet but if people made an effort to get to know regular users and vice verser regular users get to know the newbies then it's a friendly place to be. I've seen this happen on every forum I've been a part of for the last 10 years, even adult and parenting forums. The only time I don't like circles is when some of the members are very mean and give new members a hard time or they gang up on them. I don't really think I'm a part of any circle anyway, prefer to be a lone ranger of 3, me, myself and I :lol: I tell people if they piss me off even if they're my best friend and even if my enemy is being picked on, I'll stick up for them. Every sub section of the forums divide people from one another if you get what I'm gettin at. They're kind of circles too. I'd think that mods and even admins would have circles too.

igoddessIsig.png

The only people who tell you that you can't do something are those who have already given up on their own dreams so feel the need to discourage yours.

1) It's annoying when an irrelevant debate commences on certain threads (ex: Control Your Country thread). There's a reason why we have a huge religion thread and threads for the discussion of politics; some people do enjoy the absence of such discussions once in a while as it potentially leads to flaming.

2) As far as news threads, I actually like them. However, the "shock" news threads are rather annoying.

3) As far as memes, they are funny sometimes (or never), but they get old rather quickly.

The sooner people realise that it's better to get along, the faster OT will be interesting again.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

In my opinion, "Off-Topic" lost it's charm when both "Have you caught them?" and "Funny Pictures Thread" were removed.

And that, is the truth.

Fixed.

No, you simpletons. Just no. I'll admit I enjoyed funny pictures, but the caught them was nothing but fake stories by immature idiots hoping to "prove" themselves sexually. For nothing. I still don't see the fun in it; if you want sex stories from these guys, you're either a creep or an idiot.

Just one simpleton. I said when they were created, old mate changed it to removed.

newsigzl2.jpg

^Sir Jem 05-The Bunny Drinking Blog?^ Click it!

tetsupportsig2.jpg