Pixels

Recksash

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, this is almost as split as Platonic and Aristotelian philosophy :shock:

"What is real"....that question has been going on for several centuries.

"Runescape is not real because if it is, you're a nerd" is false because it directs the attack at the speaker, false by default.

"Runescape is not real because it is just a video game" could be just a "Runescape is because it is" statement which isn't arguable at all.

So really, "Runescape is real because it exist in and spends real time to advance in inside of its space" is pretty much the only logical assertion.

And yeah, "Just pixels" = "Just paper money"

Probably the reason of "runescape is not real" is because when we die in runescape we respawn. Of course that gets into a whole other argument in discussing where we go when we die in this world. Since we don't know for certain the latter, we can't compare the former and therefore, "Runescape is not real because we respawn" is invalid as well.

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

I hate the term "Just Pixels" because it is highly inaccurate

It is far more then pixels, on a server you probably look like this:

[account]

name=Cowkiller1234567891337

password=***

recoveryquestion1=***

recoveryquestion2=***

recoveryquestion3=***

recoveryquestion4=***

recoveryquestion5=***

recoveryanswer1=***

recoveryanswer2=***

recoveryanswer3=***

recoveryanswer4=***

recoveryanswer5=***

modstatus=0

mutetime=0

marks=0

[billing]

cardnum=***

cardholder=***

membershipstartedrs=0

membershiprs=0

membershipstartedfo=0

membershipfo=0

[forum]

posts=12

userpost1=22-434-19192-32

userpost2=23-341-13353-93

userpost3=92-243-02193-27

userpost4=29-885-19432-44

[avatar]

gender=m

skin=002

hair=120008

haircolor=999999

torso=018458

torsocolor=999999

torsocolor2=111111

arm=923733

armcolor=999999

leg=923824

legcolor=999999

foot=128733

footcolor=999999

[location]

x=129323

y=798

level=1

[equip]

head=124424

neck=928302

torso=208230

legs=112491

feet=031120

quiver=937483

back=552882

arm=993734

ring=293823

weapon=289202

shield=293845

[inventory]

slot01=111102

slot01num=11892

slot02=937483

slot02num=200

slot03=733475

slot03num=1

slot04=733475

slot04num=1

slot05=733475

slot05num=1

slot06=733475

slot06num=1

slot07=733475

slot07num=1

slot08=733475

slot08num=1

slot09=733475

slot09num=1

slot10=733475

slot10num=1

slot11=000000

slot11num=0

slot12=000000

slot12num=0

slot13=000000

slot13num=0

slot14=000000

slot14num=0

slot15=000000

slot15num=0

slot16=000000

slot16num=0

slot17=000000

slot17num=0

slot18=000000

slot18num=0

slot19=000000

slot19num=0

slot20=000000

slot20num=0

slot21=000000

slot21num=0

slot22=000000

slot22num=0

slot23=000000

slot23num=0

slot24=000000

slot24num=0

slot25=000000

slot25num=0

slot26=129801

slot26num=1

slot27=129895

slot27num=1

slot28=129898

slot28num=3

[levels]

attack=12245

strength=23545

defense=1983

hitpoint=12443

range=0

magic=0

prayer=2312

woodcut=0

fletching=0

firemaking=0

runecrafting=13590821

crafting=0

fishing=0

cooking=0

mining=0

smithing=12311

farming=54943

herblore=0

construction=0

slayer=0

thieving=0

agility=1290099

hunter=0

summoning=0

It goes on to quest, options, bank, and much much more, but you get the idea

your not pixels, your save data! :mrgreen:

Prism_Swords.png

Yes, they are just pixels. You didn't do anything to get them, apart from click on a rock or something repetitively. When people say your items are just pixels, they are trying to say that Runescape is only a game. Its nothing to get angry over. Runescape should be something you do in your spare time. If you really care that much than you play too much.

True, but it's still my time. Telling me that my time is as trivial as a dancing pixel is a slap to the face. It's like telling someone with a Ph.D that their diploma "is only paper". What an ego.

We're not defining real life vs. RS here, we're simply defining that items in RuneScape were not as simple to accrue as the common idea misleads people. Yes, I play RS in my spare time, but if you were to simply take my achievements away (so-called 'pixels'), I know that I'd be pissed.

Achievments? You play Runescape because its fun. If you die, it may be inconvienient but you still had fun, right? Thats what some people cant seem to understand. Runescapes supposed to be fun, not a chore you have to go through so you can buy a Party Hat or whatever. How can you possibly say that you wasted "your" time if you had fun? If dieing was truly as bad as losing a diploma or heaps of money then Jagex would take it out alltogether.

What's the point of life?

If you die in real life you can't come alive again. Dieing in real live and dieing in runescape is slightly different.

Yes, they are just pixels. You didn't do anything to get them, apart from click on a rock or something repetitively. When people say your items are just pixels, they are trying to say that Runescape is only a game. Its nothing to get angry over. Runescape should be something you do in your spare time. If you really care that much than you play too much.

True, but it's still my time. Telling me that my time is as trivial as a dancing pixel is a slap to the face. It's like telling someone with a Ph.D that their diploma "is only paper". What an ego.

We're not defining real life vs. RS here, we're simply defining that items in RuneScape were not as simple to accrue as the common idea misleads people. Yes, I play RS in my spare time, but if you were to simply take my achievements away (so-called 'pixels'), I know that I'd be pissed.

Achievments? You play Runescape because its fun. If you die, it may be inconvienient but you still had fun, right? Thats what some people cant seem to understand. Runescapes supposed to be fun, not a chore you have to go through so you can buy a Party Hat or whatever. How can you possibly say that you wasted "your" time if you had fun? If dieing was truly as bad as losing a diploma or heaps of money then Jagex would take it out alltogether.

If you die in real life you can't come alive again. Dieing in real live and dieing in runescape is slightly different.

What does that have to do with losing items? We're not talking about dying to lose items, we're talking about losing items period. Two totally separate problems.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

I've decided that I agree with the OP... and skimmed most the arguments up to here.

Real World Traders give RuneScape stuff a value in real life, so the argument that you "just lost pixels" and "because its pixels, it has no value" isn't a good argument.

Trying to separate RuneScape from real life, while having merit, shouldn't have much bearing on this discussion.

Once again - because RuneScape items have a monetary value in real life, losing those items in RuneScape is losing value in real life, especially because it takes real effort or (albeit illegal) real money to get them back.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

What does that have to do with losing items? We're not talking about dying to lose items, we're talking about losing items period. Two totally separate problems.

I only said that because i was replying to your comment about the point of life...

"Achievments? You play Runescape because its fun. If you die, it may be inconvienient but you still had fun, right? Thats what some people cant seem to understand. Runescapes supposed to be fun, not a chore you have to go through so you can buy a Party Hat or whatever. How can you possibly say that you wasted "your" time if you had fun? If dieing was truly as bad as losing a diploma or heaps of money then Jagex would take it out alltogether." refer to this post. You play Runescape because its fun. Even if you lost the items, you still had fun which is the point of the game. If losing items was that bad, Jagex would remove the ability to lose items. But that would make Runescape boring.

I only said that because i was replying to your comment about the point of life...

"Achievments? You play Runescape because its fun. If you die, it may be inconvienient but you still had fun, right? Thats what some people cant seem to understand. Runescapes supposed to be fun, not a chore you have to go through so you can buy a Party Hat or whatever. How can you possibly say that you wasted "your" time if you had fun? If dieing was truly as bad as losing a diploma or heaps of money then Jagex would take it out alltogether." refer to this post. You play Runescape because its fun. Even if you lost the items, you still had fun which is the point of the game. If losing items was that bad, Jagex would remove the ability to lose items. But that would make Runescape boring.

Wait, so your argument is that having people make you lose items is fun, and makes RS not boring?

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Gotta love how off-topic the rants forum gets.

This thread has stayed almost entirely on topic #-o

The threads that wander off topic are the stuipd, poorly written ones with no point or logic behind them that are disproved and thrown out in the first page. Mods need to lock them, after that they just end up becoming discussion threads.

My "slayer sucks" has stayed remarkably on topic for over 66 pages \'

DeviledEgg24.png

Simply say 'is money just paper', then add them to your ignore list.

Best counter argument to it.

Not really, considering Money is RL and pixels are computer. Unless you can't tell the differnce between Real Life and Pixels. That's the only reason I see this "argument" actually working.

-.- I have to question if you even know what paper money is or what it represents.

Paper money takes time to accumulate. You don't just walk into the world and have $1 billion dollars thrown on your lap (unless you inherit, but that's rare). Paper money represents the amount of time you have spent working.

Pixels on the computer take time to accumulate. You don't just walk into the RuneScape and have 5 partyhat sets and 10 of every godsword thrown on your lap (unless you go to the Party Room, but that's rare). Pixels represent the amount of time you have spent working.

ROFL. My point is that you guys are comparing runescape to real life. Unless you can't tell the differnce to the point where runescape IS your life, suck it up and move on.

Both occupy time, and therefore both represent real time. One (rl) is worth a lot more and is a lot more important than the other (rs), but both are different worths of the same thing.

It's like you saying, oh look, I spent 1 hour working and I got 5 euros, and the next hour a different guy only gave me 3 dollars. The dollars are worth so much less, so I don't care about them at all.

Time is the bridging factor, unless you would like to say that time is not real. But then that's a whole different debate.

I get the feeling that curling is one of those immature flamers who will try to endlessly insult us with 'wow u m ust be a nerd if u cant tell the difference'.

Truth is, the only quantifiable measure besides profit (end outcome) is time invested and enjoyment obtained - both factors influencing RS. Unless we're playing in a black hole, we can assume time is one dimensional and can be measured, even if it's only through our interpretation.

Therefore, they are really very similar.

And I get the feeling that your one of those immature kids that thinks everything is directed at you. Note the UNLESS, kid, before you post read the whole post not just what you want to read okay?

Simply say 'is money just paper', then add them to your ignore list.

Best counter argument to it.

Not really, considering Money is RL and pixels are computer. Unless you can't tell the differnce between Real Life and Pixels. That's the only reason I see this "argument" actually working.

-.- I have to question if you even know what paper money is or what it represents.

Paper money takes time to accumulate. You don't just walk into the world and have $1 billion dollars thrown on your lap (unless you inherit, but that's rare). Paper money represents the amount of time you have spent working.

Pixels on the computer take time to accumulate. You don't just walk into the RuneScape and have 5 partyhat sets and 10 of every godsword thrown on your lap (unless you go to the Party Room, but that's rare). Pixels represent the amount of time you have spent working.

ROFL. My point is that you guys are comparing runescape to real life. Unless you can't tell the differnce to the point where runescape IS your life, suck it up and move on.

Both occupy time, and therefore both represent real time. One (rl) is worth a lot more and is a lot more important than the other (rs), but both are different worths of the same thing.

It's like you saying, oh look, I spent 1 hour working and I got 5 euros, and the next hour a different guy only gave me 3 dollars. The dollars are worth so much less, so I don't care about them at all.

Time is the bridging factor, unless you would like to say that time is not real. But then that's a whole different debate.

I get the feeling that curling is one of those immature flamers who will try to endlessly insult us with 'wow u m ust be a nerd if u cant tell the difference'.

Truth is, the only quantifiable measure besides profit (end outcome) is time invested and enjoyment obtained - both factors influencing RS. Unless we're playing in a black hole, we can assume time is one dimensional and can be measured, even if it's only through our interpretation.

Therefore, they are really very similar.

And I get the feeling that your one of those immature kids that thinks everything is directed at you. Note the UNLESS, kid, before you post read the whole post not just what you want to read okay?

Ah, so THIS is what you PMed me about. For those who missed out, it's "ROFL how much of a idiot do you have to be? Reading just what you want to see kid? Incredibly, rediciously sad. Read the whole posts next time kid."

In response: Please respond to my post instead of trying to flame me with a en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem argument.

In response to that separate topic, I'm 32, and my son is probably older then you. So "kid" probably isn't an accurate term

DeviledEgg24.png

Wait, so your argument is that having people make you lose items is fun, and makes RS not boring?

No, its that Runescape is just a game and games are supposed to be fun. You had fun while you played the game. Even if you died, you didn't waste any time because you had fun. It might be inconvenient but how bad can losing items be when you can earn them back again and have fun while you do it? Unless you were an RWTer or something

Thats your problem. Runescape is a game, learn to differentiate games from working. People play Runescape because its fun, not so they can work some more. Or do you consider Runescape to be your job?

No, its that Runescape is just a game and games are supposed to be fun. You had fun while you played the game. Even if you died, you didn't waste any time because you had fun. It might be inconvenient but how bad can losing items be when you can earn them back again and have fun while you do it? Unless you were an RWTer or something

Thats your problem. Runescape is a game, learn to differentiate games from working. People play Runescape because its fun, not so they can work some more. Or do you consider Runescape to be your job?

What's the point of life? We're comparing RS to treasure RL items, not your job. Both have no as-yet identified purpose aside from enjoyment and fulfillment.

DeviledEgg24.png

The threads that wander off topic are the stuipd, poorly written ones with no point or logic behind them that are disproved and thrown out in the first page. Mods need to lock them, after that they just end up becoming discussion threads.

This is why people hate you. "No logic" and "no point" is your opinion. I could say the exact same thing; that your agument has "no logic" and no "point" and it was disproved in the first page. (Obviously you are wrong since this argument has gone longer than 1 page) In fact, you are a hypocrite as well since almost everytime a topic has gone off topic in TIF is because you treat people has if they are an inferior species whos purpose in life is to worship you. You're such an arrogant jerk its not funny anymore.

I did not read all of the posts in this thread, but I feel that people shouldn't be insulted by someone saying "it's just pixels", nor should they lose sleep or get excessively sad over losing an item/wealth.

This is why people hate you. "No logic" and "no point" is your opinion. I could say the exact same thing; that your agument has "no logic" and no "point" and it was disproved in the first page.[ (Obviously you are wrong since this argument has gone longer than 1 page)

So are you just going to spam because you can't think of any real argument? Sorry, but logic is here to stay.

In fact, you are a hypocrite as well since almost everytime a topic has gone off topic in TIF is because you treat people has if they are an inferior species whos purpose in life is to worship you. You're such an arrogant jerk its not funny anymore.

I'm sarcastic and abrasive when debating, but I do my best to stay on topic. If you don't like my posting style, please add me to your ignore list or send me a PM to work out personal issues instead of continuing to clog this thread with spam.

I did not read all of the posts in this thread, but I feel that people shouldn't be insulted by someone saying "it's just pixels", nor should they lose sleep or get excessively sad over losing an item/wealth.

He's not getting depressed because of it, he's simply saying that it's a stuipd "insult" lacking any sort of real backing.

DeviledEgg24.png

He's not getting depressed because of it, he's simply saying that it's a stuipd "insult" lacking any sort of real backing.

Ah, I guess I should have read closer. :oops:

This is why people hate you. "No logic" and "no point" is your opinion. I could say the exact same thing; that your agument has "no logic" and no "point" and it was disproved in the first page. (Obviously you are wrong since this argument has gone longer than 1 page) In fact, you are a hypocrite as well since almost everytime a topic has gone off topic in TIF is because you treat people has if they are an inferior species whos purpose in life is to worship you. You're such an arrogant jerk its not funny anymore.

Trust me on this one - Compfreak and I disagree on many things.

I don't hate Compfreak, and I'm fairly certain he doesn't hate me.

Usually my goal when "arguing" with Compfreak is to get him to understand my point of view, not to change his point of view. Usually once this happens, its pointless to debate any more because trying to change the opinion of a complete stranger with a block of text on teh internetz is a waste of time.

Now - try to understand Compfreak's point of view before laying out your own, and you should definitely stop expecting Compfreak to automagically change his point of view just because you took the time to post it.

Also, expecting someone to agree with you after throwing a cheap shot directly at them is a serious error in judgment - try to keep personal attacks to zero.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

Since the whole 'hating' thing seems to be an issue, I'll just set the record straight:

I can think of only one TIF user I strongly dislike, and he hasn't been seen around here for months. Other then that, I couldn't give a rats tush if people like me or not. I'm going to continue to state my opinion, and do my utmost to back it up. If you don't like that, please leave these forums and go somewhere more suitable for you like http://www.planetcarebears.com/

DeviledEgg24.png

Trust me on this one - Compfreak and I disagree on many things.

I don't hate Compfreak, and I'm fairly certain he doesn't hate me.

Usually my goal when "arguing" with Compfreak is to get him to understand my point of view, not to change his point of view. Usually once this happens, its pointless to debate any more because trying to change the opinion of a complete stranger with a block of text on teh internetz is a waste of time.

Now - try to understand Compfreak's point of view before laying out your own, and you should definitely stop expecting Compfreak to automagically change his point of view just because you took the time to post it.

Also, expecting someone to agree with you after throwing a cheap shot directly at them is a serious error in judgment - try to keep personal attacks to zero.

I wasn't getting angry because he didn't agree with me, its because of the way he acts with other people. I'm definitely not expecting him to agree with me that he is "an arrogant jerk". But i do guess i overreacted, sorry about that.

This is why people hate you. "No logic" and "no point" is your opinion. I could say the exact same thing; that your agument has "no logic" and no "point" and it was disproved in the first page.[ (Obviously you are wrong since this argument has gone longer than 1 page)

So are you just going to spam because you can't think of any real argument? Sorry, but logic is here to stay.

In fact, you are a hypocrite as well since almost everytime a topic has gone off topic in TIF is because you treat people has if they are an inferior species whos purpose in life is to worship you. You're such an arrogant jerk its not funny anymore.

I'm sarcastic and abrasive when debating, but I do my best to stay on topic. If you don't like my posting style, please add me to your ignore list or send me a PM to work out personal issues instead of continuing to clog this thread with spam.

I already did give an argument. But you didn't reply to it before i said that.

What's the point of life? We're comparing RS to treasure RL items, not your job. Both have no as-yet identified purpose aside from enjoyment and fulfillment.

I said "job" because that guy said that items represent the time you have been "working" for (which i replied to by saying that you aren't supposed to work on games) so thats why losing items is like losing money irl. Read what i'm quoting. If losing items on Runescape was truly as bad as losing money in real life, Jagex would make it impossible to lose items altogether. You don't play Runescape to get items. Although getting the items may be fun, that means you can have fun getting those items a second time. In Runescape, you don't need money to buy food (thats nessary to stay alive. And i don't mean dieing Runescape style. The Runescape equvilant to dieing irl would be being perm banned, ip blocked and never able to play Runescape again) you dont need money to buy clothes you don't need money to buy shelter from wind and rain and you don't need burglar alarms and you don't need money to pay off your taxes and in fact you don't need money for a whole lot of stuff. You can't compare money in Runescape to money in real life. Also, you can get the same items on a private server as you can in Runescape, but waaay easier.. Its the same pixels. They are identical to their Runescape counterparts. The only difference is that in a private server it usually isn't as fun getting them. Thats why we play Runescape.

I said "job" because that guy said that items represent the time you have been "working" for (which i replied to by saying that you aren't supposed to work on games) so thats why losing items is like losing money irl.

Working was an euphorism. The game is specifically designed to be fum.

If losing items on Runescape was truly as bad as losing money in real life, Jagex would make it impossible to lose items altogether.

So your argument is "because Jagex didn't make it impossible, it's obviously not bad at all". Sorry, but Jagxe doesn't dictate what items we lose, how long we take to obtain them, and how we feel about them.

Talk to people who have lost valuable items for a dumb reason like getting PKed then taunted about it. Do they jump up and down for joy, going "Yes! I get to earn these items again! This is gonna be FUN!"?

Hint: I've never met someone like that, maybe there are a few of them hiding in a closet out there.

. In Runescape, you don't need money to buy food (thats nessary to stay alive. And i don't mean dieing Runescape style. The Runescape equvilant to dieing irl would be being perm banned, ip blocked and never able to play Runescape again) you dont need money to buy clothes you don't need money to buy shelter from wind and rain and you don't need burglar alarms and you don't need money to pay off your taxes and in fact you don't need money for a whole lot of stuff.

What on earth does that have to do with losing specific items? We're not comparing the whole of RS to RL, we're comparing item LOSS.

You can't compare money in Runescape to money in real life.

Again, how does that even remotely relate? We're talking about the difference between losing items in real life and losing items in RS. For that matter, you can't compare money in RL to money in RS. Not that it has anything to do with the argument #-o

Also, you can get the same items on a private server as you can in Runescape, but waaay easier.. Its the same pixels. They are identical to their Runescape counterparts. The only difference is that in a private server it usually isn't as fun getting them. Thats why we play Runescape.

No, the reason we play RS is because private servers are complete crap. Horribly outdated gameplay, graphics that look like RSC, abandoned with nothing to do on them. If a person on the real RS was given the choice to replace the items he just lost PKing for free, every person I've ever met on RS would take it.

DeviledEgg24.png

Working was an euphorism. The game is specifically designed to be fum.

Yeah, i already know the game was designed to be fun. I'm replying to that guy who compared losing items in Runescape to losing money you worked for in real life.

Sorry, but Jagxe doesn't dictate what items we lose, how long we take to obtain them, and how we feel about them.".

Yeah they do. They could easily make it so its impossible to lose items if it was really that bad.

Talk to people who have lost valuable items for a dumb reason like getting PKed then taunted about it. Do they jump up and down for joy, going "Yes! I get to earn these items again! This is gonna be FUN!"?

Hint: I've never met someone like that, maybe there are a few of them hiding in a closet out there.

Dieing is annoying, but if you PK you obviously know the risks. You had fun getting those items. If you didn't have fun, you are wasting your time on Runescape. No ones going to jump for joy if they lose their items, but it isn't as bad as so much people make it out to be; "its just pixels" getting your items back can't be that boring. What i'm trying to say is that it isn't nearly as bad as losing all your money and clothes and house in real life.

What on earth does that have to do with losing specific items? We're not comparing the whole of RS to RL, we're comparing item LOSS..

Losing items in Runescape isn't as bad as losing money irl; why do you want money in Runescape? To buy that really expensive shield or something? The point is, you don't need money, or items in Runescape. At most, losing items will be a small inconvinence.

Again, how does that even remotely relate? We're talking about the difference between losing items in real life and losing items in RS. For that matter, you can't compare money in RL to money in RS. Not that it has anything to do with the argument #-o

"Simply say 'is money just paper', then add them to your ignore list." Your words exactly. Isn't that comparing money in RL to money/items in RS?

No, the reason we play RS is because private servers are complete crap. Horribly outdated gameplay, graphics that look like RSC, abandoned with nothing to do on them. If a person on the real RS was given the choice to replace the items he just lost PKing for free, every person I've ever met on RS would take it.

I don't know when the last time you've seen a private server is (go on youtube or something), but they have the same graphics as Runescape, most even have HD and fullscreen nowadays. A godsword in a private server is the same pixels as a godsword on Runescape. They have the same function as well, yet you only have to kill 2 hill giants or something to get one. Can you do that with money in real life?