Pixels

Recksash

Paper money takes time to accumulate. You don't just walk into the world and have $1 billion dollars thrown on your lap (unless you inherit, but that's rare). Paper money represents the amount of time you have spent working.

Thats your problem. Runescape is a game, learn to differentiate games from working. People play Runescape because its fun, not so they can work some more. Or do you consider Runescape to be your job?

Despite your efforts, we are still not using "fun" as the basis for comparison. We are using "time".

See, the universal currency we are using here is time. And RL money and RS pixels are simply two different representations of it. It's like how all nations base their national currency on the gold standard. Gold is the universal currency, and the Euro and the Dollar are simply two different representations of it.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paper money takes time to accumulate. You don't just walk into the world and have $1 billion dollars thrown on your lap (unless you inherit, but that's rare). Paper money represents the amount of time you have spent working.

Thats your problem. Runescape is a game, learn to differentiate games from working. People play Runescape because its fun, not so they can work some more. Or do you consider Runescape to be your job?

Despite your efforts, we are still not using "fun" as the basis for comparison. We are using "time".

See, the universal currency we are using here is time. And RL money and RS pixels are simply two different representations of it. It's like how all nations base their national currency on the gold standard. Gold is the universal currency, and the Euro and the Dollar are simply two different representations of it.

But don't you play Runescape for fun? Or do you play it so you can show off how long you have played Runescape for?

But don't you play Runescape for fun? Or do you play it so you can show off how long you have played Runescape for?

Obviously, I play it for fun. Also, I find some find in the second. But can you measure fun? That's the problem here, you can't measure fun. Therefore, it is irrelevant to this argument because it is simply too vague to be given a value. Time is not. It can be given value.

My thought: If people laugh at you or make fun of you because of pixels then they just haters. Laugh and be glad you arent such a loser you have to find ways to put other people down to make up for your insecurities.

Gmeshsig2.jpg

Shout to LowFatMilk for the sig! Doin your body and sig good :lol:

Obviously, I play it for fun. Also, I find some find in the second. But can you measure fun? That's the problem here, you can't measure fun. Therefore, it is irrelevant to this argument because it is simply too vague to be given a value. Time is not. It can be given value.

But why you have to measure anything? If you play for fun, and you have fun getting items and earning money, is losing some gp really THAT bad seeing that earning money to make up for your loss will be fun? How can you consider it a waste of time if you enjoy doing it? Thats like saying you wasted your time watching a basketball game because your favourite team lost. You had fun watching the basketball game, so how is it a waste of time? In fact, on Runescape, it is even possible to go back in time and watch the basketball game again, except this time your basketball team has another chance of wining.

My thought: If people laugh at you or make fun of you because of pixels then they just haters. Laugh and be glad you arent such a loser you have to find ways to put other people down to make up for your insecurities.

I'm not sure what you mean or what side you are on lol

Yeah they do. They could easily make it so its impossible to lose items if it was really that bad.

We're talking about being killed for item loss; specifically, losing items for no good reason - not something with inherent risk as a balance like bosses.

Dieing is annoying, but if you PK you obviously know the risks. You had fun getting those items. If you didn't have fun, you are wasting your time on Runescape. No ones going to jump for joy if they lose their items, but it isn't as bad as so much people make it out to be; "its just pixels" getting your items back can't be that boring. What i'm trying to say is that it isn't nearly as bad as losing all your money and clothes and house in real life.

Again, it's the insult, not the risk or action - it's a built in element, but the insults themselves set it apart.

Losing items in Runescape isn't as bad as losing money irl; why do you want money in Runescape? To buy that really expensive shield or something? The point is, you don't need money, or items in Runescape. At most, losing items will be a small inconvinence.

Which is true of money in RL as well. How many people do you know that would starve to death if they lost, 20$, 50$, or even 100$?

"Simply say 'is money just paper', then add them to your ignore list." Your words exactly. Isn't that comparing money in RL to money/items in RS?

I'm not comparing the RS items, I'm comparing the genera idea that just because the physical medium isn't valuable in and of itself doesn't mean there isn't a value assigned to it.

I don't know when the last time you've seen a private server is (go on youtube or something), but they have the same graphics as Runescape, most even have HD and fullscreen nowadays. A godsword in a private server is the same pixels as a godsword on Runescape. They have the same function as well, yet you only have to kill 2 hill giants or something to get one. Can you do that with money in real life?

They most certainly do not compare to RS. I've played quite a few myself and watched videos, and I've NEVER seen anything comparing to HD. OpenGL rendering is difficult to decompile and reassemble, and very time consuimg to build from scratch. I'd like to see a link. That also has little to do with PKing; items must be earned in the real RS, which is the problem with losing them when PKed.

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

Very true. I am sure almost all of us has heard the quote "Time is money". This quote still lives, even within RuneScape. People have spent so many hours even days worth of time on playing this game that RuneScape is becoming more than a game; it is becoming a lifestyle.

But why you have to measure anything? If you play for fun, and you have fun getting items and earning money, is losing some gp really THAT bad seeing that earning money to make up for your loss will be fun? How can you consider it a waste of time if you enjoy doing it? Thats like saying you wasted your time watching a basketball game because your favourite team lost. You had fun watching the basketball game, so how is it a waste of time? In fact, on Runescape, it is even possible to go back in time and watch the basketball game again, except this time your basketball team has another chance of wining.

But that's just arguing against the basics of logic. You can make a true statement without giving it a value.

Of course, we can have a debate when nothing is assigned any value, so then that's just a war of opinions, not of facts. How can you be certain what something is if it isn't assigned a value? If you wanna go on talking without giving each a value, that's fine. But then you'd have to know that the debate would be irrational at times and wouldn't be truthful at all.

Frustration is an identifiable emotion when you lose "pixels" (you can't "lose" pixels), but I find that saying something to that effect helps to calm me down when I am feeling frustrated with a loss or mistake.

"Those who give up their liberty for more security neither deserve liberty nor security."

Support transparency... and by extension, freedom and democracy.

Hihi, since you are so indignant about how "fun" something is, then define it.

I find it fun to earn lots of cash and work my butt off and enjoy the fruits of my labor by freezing people to death.

I also find it fun to pm friends and clan mates about up coming wars and etc.

Notice I didn't add "I really like to lose items" in that list. Your argument of "it was fun the first time and therefore fun the second time" is based off the mentality that there is nothing left to do in runescape (which usually isn't the case). When you complete a game, you may want to replay it for a better experience in the storyline or kick a boss's [wagon] quicker (like time attack on shadow of the colossus :)). But aside from that, if there is an actual advantage to playing the completed game, then who would want to start over? If you think losing items is still fun, then kill your account (get it perm banned) and start over. Oh, and you can't just write down your friends' names; you have ot make NEW friends.

Runescape items and currency have value because of three things (at least within the confines of my pre-economics course mind):

1. time spent making/earning the items

2. the need/demand of the items

3. the items 1. can be exchanged for and their respective values (for examaple: 3a armor is fairly invaluable because of the junk that's required to trade for it in addition to cash; while ironically, maple longs are very valuable since the junk is very flexible and trade for many more things)

Essentially, here is how it breaks down: runescape and its items are not valueless but they are also not equal or as valuable as real-world items/cash (which is why several million gp were sold for fairly cheap prices on goldfarmers' sites)

But is there really any reason to go on? As far as I've read, the replies are either by people who have ignored the logic and keep dwelling in their bubble on how everything that they can't touch does not matter, or they are by the people who have accepted the logic and have futiley (sp?) taken on the task of hammering it into the formers' brains.

All this will eventually add up to is a flame war at this rate, at least from what I've read.

menea_reuter.pnglinkresponsewb2.th.jpg

Thank you fenir, you brought up a number of argument points I hadn't desired. Starting over is a great example; I have fun by doing new things, not re-doing what I've already accomplished.

All this will eventually add up to is a flame war at this rate, at least from what I've read.

Nah, this discussion is still quite a ways from a flame war, mostly because the discusees (new word please?) all seem to be slightly older and more mature then the the ones that usually set of flame wars. Doesn't mean we're immune, though - we've had a few blowouts, but they've all been recovered from. There's a fine, fine line between "heated argument" and "flame war" ;)

DeviledEgg24.png

Drops: 1x Draconic Visage, 56x Abyssal Whip, 5x Demon Head, D Drops: 37, Barrows Drops: 43, DK Drops: 29

GWD drops: 14,000x Bars, 1x Armadyl Hilt, 2x Armadyl Skirt, 4x Sara Sword, 1x Saradomin Hilt, 8x Bandos Hilt, 8x Bandos Platebody, 9x Bandos Tassets, 4x Bandos Boots, 43x Godsword Shard, 82x Dragon Boots

Dry streak records: Saradomin 412 kills Bandos 988 kills Spirit Mages 633 kills - Slayer Sucks

• 2 weeks later...

We're talking about being killed for item loss; specifically, losing items for no good reason - not something with inherent risk as a balance like bosses.

It doesn't matter, you would still lose your items because you died. If it was really that bad Jagex would make it impossible to die altogether so that the people that lost items because of a lag or something wouldn't feel very sad.

Again, it's the insult, not the risk or action - it's a built in element, but the insults themselves set it apart.

Insult...??

Which is true of money in RL as well. How many people do you know that would starve to death if they lost, 20$, 50$, or even 100$?

10 20 or $50 may be a small inconvenience, but not to the topic starter, losing his items was more to him than that. I'm trying to say that it shouldn't be. Like a while ago when someone cried at school when he found out his items got hacked by his "friend". To him, losing his pixels wasn't just a small inconvenience. But if that happened in real life, it would be a whole different story. He wouldn't have any money to pay his bills or buy a house or feed himself. And it would be possible to "die", unlike Runescape. (except in the rare case of getting perm banned for botting or something)

I'm not comparing the RS items, I'm comparing the genera idea that just because the physical medium isn't valuable in and of itself doesn't mean there isn't a value assigned to it.

I don't know when the last time you've seen a private server is (go on youtube or something), but they have the same graphics as Runescape, most even have HD and fullscreen nowadays. A godsword in a private server is the same pixels as a godsword on Runescape. They have the same function as well, yet you only have to kill 2 hill giants or something to get one. Can you do that with money in real life?

They most certainly do not compare to RS. I've played quite a few myself and watched videos, and I've NEVER seen anything comparing to HD. OpenGL rendering is difficult to decompile and reassemble, and very time consuimg to build from scratch. I'd like to see a link. That also has little to do with PKing; items must be earned in the real RS, which is the problem with losing them when PKed.

It doesn't really matter. Lets pretend a private server was HD (which i never use anyway). Would you play it? a godsword in a private server has the same uses but is incredibly easy to get. I'm trying to say that the "money is just paper" argument is wrong because you can't do that with money in real life. Can you easily make several copies of money in real life that work? Or would you just work to earn your money because its more fun?