How can you guys handle this?

Myweponsg00d

Do you have 99 in every skill? Have you completed every quest? Do you have 1 of every minigame item?

No.

So why the hell are you whining about not big enought new updates? There are countless hours of "old" content you can work on. If you don't like the old content, then stop paying Jagex for a game you don't like.

Sorry but I like to play my games, not work on them.

If you consider a game work you shouldn't be playing it. Move on or stop complaining, this isn't rants.

How long have you been playing? Excuse me for failing to believe you have any idea of what its like to have played this game for 6-7 years.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this being said...do you guys have faith in Jagex?

- Of course, They might of been able to do some things differently, but they didn't do anything "wrong".

Do you think that things are going to go back to normal soon?

- They are as normal as they always have been. It takes just as much time to make a mini game as it does to re-work a bunch of interfaces and creating new coding. The only difference is one is something you don't do very often, and one is something you use almost every day.

People often think a small update always requires a small time to develop/code. This is not often the case, as much more goes on behind the scenes you cant see.

The recent Path Finder update probably took just as much time to develop and code as it did making the entire Soul Wars Mini game.

Do you think we are going to get rushed with tons of giant updates all at one time?

- I think they are going to progress, as they always have, and are currently going right now.

A better question would be, do you think they will keep making updates which are more upfront with content (minigames/skills/quests) or more behind the scenes with content (path-finder, quick buttons, user interface options)? And do you think the upfront is really superior to the behind the scenes content? I don't.

I have watched this game evolve from its earliest stages into a hugely successful game that has begun to be recognized among "real" mmorpg's. It is both disappointing and saddening to feel that this game isn't receiving as much love and attention that it once was (from the dev's).

- I agree, but I think the lack of attention is because people see small updates, and assume they don't take much time to develop. This is not the case. They are working just as hard as they used to, just more on things you cant really see, opposed to things you can.

dawnsigblue-3.png

the way you put it, hardly working. final

Excuses are tools of incompetence that builds monuments of nothingness. Those who specialize in excuses never accomplish anything.
If the world does end on December 21, 2012, I want to be doing hot stuff with Megan Fox and/or playing Runescape :D

- I think they are going to progress, as they always have, and are currently going right now.

A better question would be, do you think they will keep making updates which are more upfront with content (minigames/skills/quests) or more behind the scenes with content (path-finder, quick buttons, user interface options)? And do you think the upfront is really superior to the behind the scenes content? I don't.

But, from my understanding, they have several teams of developers, and I'm a little confused as to why it has to be content OR game engine. There are people who have been in charge of JUST doing 3d models for things...where have they been? There has not been a ton of new content this year, and I just don't understand what is going on. Have they put the content dev's on the task of helping to upgrade the "behind the scenes" updates? I understand that interface updates take a long time to come out with (if I am not mistaken, we wear bracelets on our hands because it would have taken many months extra to code a bracelet slot...) however I was also under the impression that most dev's in the company are not going to be working on that kind of thing.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

Do you have 99 in every skill? Have you completed every quest? Do you have 1 of every minigame item?

No.

So why the hell are you whining about not big enought new updates? There are countless hours of "old" content you can work on. If you don't like the old content, then stop paying Jagex for a game you don't like.

Sorry but I like to play my games, not work on them.

If you consider a game work you shouldn't be playing it. Move on or stop complaining, this isn't rants.

The whole point of runescape is work/grind, so yeah, stop playing MMORPGS if you don't find it fun or play some mini games

And I disagree. The whole point of MMORPG's is not to grind. The point is to make interactions with other players, make friends, chat, have fun. It seems your priorities on Runescape may be a little off.

MMO's are a bit of both really

Massbleeding.png

^dds'er in progress =D

A lot of you are making assumptions about who he plays with, and what he does. and how long he plays a day.

I agree with your points without making any idiotic assumptions. The game has gotten a little stagnant content wise since the new ceo, and I don't get why some people think it's wrong to say anything bad about him. "He's new to this Kilo!!" Really? So all his "experience" didn't prepare him for this? I've read the article on him, and it says he's not new to this stuff. I've come to expect a lot of updates, and when I don't get them I can't help but be a little concerned about what I am paying for. Like he said, we aren't getting our money's worth compared to before this new ceo.

4455.jpg

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Oscar Wilde

If you want to keep interested in Runescape without the updates interesting you, then I suggest you join a PvP/warring clan. It's a great drain on your money and time and is even very fun.

PS I can't believe quests are almost the only reason you're P2P :o

The_Maddest.png

Bumped for discussion about how the first update in two weeks is a quest that somebody could meet the requirements for on their first day of play. If you don't count Easter (which I wouldn't, since that update is now gone...) then this is the first permanent content update in 3 weeks and it is absolutely pathetic.

Myweponsgood.gif

Need assistance in any of these skills? PM me in game, my private chat is always ON

I understand your arguement, I just don't agree.

I play the game because I'm happy with the game as it is right now, I wouldn't stop playing if the updates stopped.

Sure, I'd play a bit less, but I play this game the way I want it to, updates or not.

pendulumsig.png

138 Combat as of Summer 2010 - Retired Summer 2010

Personally, I have no faith in Jagex, but I do have faith in the Gowers. I'm holding onto the hope that the "Guthix Edicts" is a plan Andrew and Paul(Guthix) have to fire everyone at Jagex(other Gods interfering into Runescape), and completely strip down Runescape and rebuild it again as they see fit using code they secretely put in the game(Stone of Jas). :thumbsup:

This website and its contents are copyright © 1999 - 2010 Jagex Ltd.

I think you complain too much. 2009 is the best year for RuneScape since 2005...

Think of all the old stuff they've released or are working on; this is GOOD. New Myreque quest, new desert quest, new dwarf quest, revealing of an unknown area that was blackness SINCE THE GAME BEGAN. Now we know what "the north" is.

We can't wish for new things without finishing old things first. I want to see the map completed, all the old content finished. Honestly, I'll actually be surprised if the Soul altar ISN'T released this year.

Also, as for whining about the 150th quest not being done after a month, clearly you've never been in the software development business.

• Never trust anyone. You are always alone, and betrayal is inevitable.
  • Nothing is safe from the jaws of the decompiler.

Also, as for whining about the 150th quest not being done after a month, clearly you've never been in the software development business.

This is absolute nonsense. Sure I have never been in software development...how does this mean I can't expect them to do their job well? Since you have never been a pilot, you have no reason to expect your flight not to crash. Since you haven't been a chef you have no reason to get mad if you get crappy food. Since you have never built a house you have no reason to be mad if you hire a person to build your house and it never gets finished.

Your argument is terrible. Just pure crap. Completely illogical. Jagex wanted to release something nice for 150, and they weren't able to. If your company is gonna put out subpar content that is fine but I would at least like them to achieve their own goals and expectations. Not constantly miss the mark by months at a time.

Myweponsgood.gif

I think you complain too much. 2009 is the best year for RuneScape since 2005...

Think of all the old stuff they've released or are working on; this is GOOD. New Myreque quest, new desert quest, new dwarf quest, revealing of an unknown area that was blackness SINCE THE GAME BEGAN. Now we know what "the north" is.

We can't wish for new things without finishing old things first. I want to see the map completed, all the old content finished. Honestly, I'll actually be surprised if the Soul altar ISN'T released this year.

You mean you think that 2009 *is going* to be the best year since 2005. Those things you mentioned are things so far to be released. 2009 *so far* however is crappy.

I believe there is easily enough content in the game as it is and i am very happy with their minor fixes. If you're bored of the game as you've run out of content, go play another game. Is that not what you would do when you complete other games? Asking for updates week in week out that provide content that last is not feasible. You guys have got used to a game where new content is bashed out very quickly so when it doesnt come you whine. You have no idea about what problems may be happening behind the scenes.

Being someone who quit the game for 4 years, having come back the most noticeable changes are not the upfront content but the minor improvements that have made the gameplay better.

Unfortunately, with all projects there can be setbacks, some of which can take a very long time to fix especially in the software development industry.

This is absolute nonsense. Sure I have never been in software development...how does this mean I can't expect them to do their job well? Since you have never been a pilot, you have no reason to expect your flight not to crash. Since you haven't been a chef you have no reason to get mad if you get crappy food. Since you have never built a house you have no reason to be mad if you hire a person to build your house and it never gets finished.

Your argument is terrible. Just pure crap. Completely illogical. Jagex wanted to release something nice for 150, and they weren't able to. If your company is gonna put out subpar content that is fine but I would at least like them to achieve their own goals and expectations. Not constantly miss the mark by months at a time.

There has probably been some set backs. Quests are huge chunks of code that take months and months to make, so being a couple months slow isn't too bad. They probly had a sweet quest for 150, but they couldn't release it for a while, so they rushed the end of the goblin quest to put it out to make people happy. ((Storyline wise, the quest was great. And in my opinion it was one of the best quests... up until the point where you fought zannik, it all seemed very rushed from there))

My hope is that we'll get the updates we where going to get in the first part of the year spread out through the summer. But yes, so far its been very lacking this year.

Smobo.png

Got his first skill cape April 7th 2009, at lv 121+12 cb and 2000 total

I believe there is easily enough content in the game as it is and i am very happy with their minor fixes. If you're bored of the game as you've run out of content, go play another game. Is that not what you would do when you complete other games? Asking for updates week in week out that provide content that last is not feasible. You guys have got used to a game where new content is bashed out very quickly so when it doesnt come you whine. You have no idea about what problems may be happening behind the scenes.

Being someone who quit the game for 4 years, having come back the most noticeable changes are not the upfront content but the minor improvements that have made the gameplay better.

Unfortunately, with all projects there can be setbacks, some of which can take a very long time to fix especially in the software development industry.

I think being gone for as long as four years means you can't really grasp minor fixes. So many fixes have been made, and fixes made to fix the previous fixes that were meant to be fixed, but were broken, I don't think you can properly affix an objective view on minor fixes made to the variety of small things needing fixing. However, those of us with a total fixation on the game can properly monitor minor and major fixes and whether said fixes do in fact fix things that need to be fixed in the game.

... fix.

This thread started out as a legitimate dicussion, but it has deteriorated into plain whining.

I imagine that one of the challenges that Jagex is facing is that the more they add to the game, the harder it gets to add more to the game. The bigger the game gets, the bigger the ripple effects from small changes. I think that it makes perfect sense to slow down the rate of new content as Runescape becomes a more mature game.

punitivedsig.png

i agree, i havnt been playing much either but thats because of wii fit and cs.

i usually played rs for the hope that a good update might come out every now and then, its really dull right now, im just going to finish my last goal on the game then play mechscape when that comes out.

Bbc_3.gif

4000000657th to 99 cookin

555555406th to 99 flethcin

You mean you think that 2009 *is going* to be the best year since 2005. Those things you mentioned are things so far to be released. 2009 *so far* however is crappy.

his posts never make sense to me, not even sure why he uses these forums

Bbc_3.gif

4000000657th to 99 cookin

555555406th to 99 flethcin

While I feel that Jagex's updates to date have not been whiz-bang, they haven't just been sitting on their hands. These upgrades might mean that older skills and content will finally get looked at in depth, such as modifying Mining (before we EVER breathe another word about the Dragon pickaxe, FIX MINING FIRST), or adjusting the rewards for Shades of Mort'ton, or even the Blast Furnace.

You've got to accept the little stuff as it comes, and appreciate what you've got. You didn't, so you're obviously upset. I do feel that Jagex is doing something right with their updates for the first time since RS2 (fixing stuff instead of just adding new stuff that gets abandoned just as quickly). It's a shame you can't feel the same way, but go ahead and enjoy your summer-long sabbatical.

Absolutely. Everyone acts like Jagex waits a few weeks, for fun, before releasing updates; they are really working hard the entire time. I completely agree about mining, too.

guideicon.png

I prefer the BTS because, now I don't have to be disappointed when they release some dam random update. For all I know w/o BTS they could have a whole month on small changes and such, because they promised us nothing.

Remember Mobilizing Armies? What happened to that.

I now sometimes fall asleep to Runescape now because I have gone through the things and gotten what I need.

Slayer for me is at a standstill. I have read back in the news archive, and recall reading content released like crazy, its just the fact the developers are running out of original ideas and they now base it on old things. Easter Event 2005 > 2009?

Using the Easter Bunny Lair for theses past events now?

Maybe all of us bored with the game should really lay off it and come back in a few months with stacks of new contnet waiting for us.

If you're bored of the game as you've run out of content, go play another game. Is that not what you would do when you complete other games? Asking for updates week in week out that provide content that last is not feasible.

You seem to have skimmed right over the major point of this thread. The reason I pay a membership to any game is so that I have a game environment that WONT run out of content. For the past two years, my combat skills have been maxed out and I have had many skills up to their "maximum usefullness" for quite some time now. Thing have been easy/pointless for quite some time now, but I was more than content with how the game was operated. There weren't massive updates that catered to my level range very frequently...hell, if level 100+ players got an update once every two months, I would be happy.

But even when I didn't get the updates I wanted, the updates still interested me. Even when I didn't have a new monster to train on every month, I still felt that I understood WHAT they were going for...why they made the lower level update. I appreciated what it added to the game, and there usually was something that I felt would be GREATLY usefull for SOMEBODY that was added every month, even a couple times a month.

But I honestly do not understand the direction of this year's updates. They seem to all be marginally useful at best, and have done nothing to considerably alter the face of the game at any level.

Myweponsgood.gif

This is absolute nonsense. Sure I have never been in software development...how does this mean I can't expect them to do their job well?

I want to see you program a quest in Runescript/Java with matching dialog, graphics, and without bugs. You are talking about thousands of lines of code,which you have t make sure won't cause any other part of the game to crash. Designing + creating + QA = a lot of work to making a quest.

I think the updates are sweet. This gives me time to catch up with other quests and things I never did in the past since I was always checking new content.

wii_wheaton.png

[software Engineer] -

[Ability Bar Suggestion] - [Gaming Enthusiast]

they can't give us big updates every month, mainly because they would lose their enjoyment.

i see where your going. jagex is becoming to big.

[size="5"][font="Georgia"][b]Staking:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#FFFF00"][/color][color="#00FF00"] 4+ mil[/color][/font]
[font="Georgia"][b]Current Status:[/b][/font][font="Palatino Linotype"][color="#FF0000"][/color][color="#0000FF"] Training defense [/color][/font][/size]

This is absolute nonsense. Sure I have never been in software development...how does this mean I can't expect them to do their job well?

I want to see you program a quest in Runescript/Java with matching dialog, graphics, and without bugs.

And I would like to see you cook a steak that is perfectly medium-well done. Did you even read the post that you quoted? Since I am not a programmer, I have no reason to expect professional programmers to do their job well?

By your own logic, you have no reason to complain about anything unless you are a professional artisian in the skill. Imagine you send out your computer to be repaired, and they delay the computer repair by a month because they are just having too much difficulty doing THEIR JOB correctly. Do you have a right to complain? I hope to god that your answer is yes...

Also, my gripe is not merely poor quality in itself, it is the relation to the quality that this game once was. If I had just joined this game 6-8 months ago, I would have permanently quit by now upon seeing the utterly pathetic ammount of quality updates being made to the game. However, the entire reason I am disappointed, as said in the original post, is the comparison of this year to years prior.

If A COMPANY wanted to "take their time" with updates, fine. If their direction was "slow, but steady and quality" then fine. That would be the company and I would probably not subscribe to that game...........BUT JAGEX WAS NEVER LIKE THIS. There was a time when Behind the Scenes existed, all of the updates came out ON TIME, and guess what...they were QUALITY. Barrows was released on time. Slayer came out on time. Farming came out on time. RUNESCAPE 2 ITSELF WAS ONLY DELAYED BY A SHORT SPAN OF MONTHS.

And now what??? Mobilizing armies....A MINI GAME...cannot be released within 4 months of its original expected date. What did they do?? Start over completely?

Fact: the number of employees at Jagex has risen significantly

Fact: the quality, frequency, and usefulness of updates this year has been AWFUL (thus far)

Why is a company gaining workers and losing quality (AND QUANTITY) of work? Astonishing, really.

Myweponsgood.gif